Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

IK09 wrote: »
    Ya we don't have a range at the club I'm in,we don't have a hitting net either so there's no way to get iron the kinks out before getting on the course.

You're right about just smashing balls on the range. I've actually felt that my contact is worse as a result of the matts so I've only be practising driver at the range.

Ya I don't have the ability to assess a lie, pick a target line, pick a club and set myself up in 15 seconds. I am going to try it just to see how it works! What do you play off?

Don't get too hung up on trying to rush everything into 15 seconds or so - that's pretty fast. Next time you're out, time yourself and also time someone you're playing who you think plays at an acceptable pace and see if there's much of a difference. I'd say I take about 25 seconds to take my shot, and I'm not a slow player.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

OEP wrote: »
    Don't get too hung up on trying to rush everything into 15 seconds or so - that's pretty fast. Next time you're out, time yourself and also time someone you're playing who you think plays at an acceptable pace and see if there's much of a difference. I'd say I take about 25 seconds to take my shot, and I'm not a slow player.

Would agree with that. If you can take your shot in that time it's fine. Most speed on the course is made up between shots.
    • Walking briskly (not fast) between shots
    • Watching shots for each other to reduce time spent looking for balls
    • Marking cards as you walk or as others are hitting
    • Leaving bags on the right side of the green, tee box etc
    • Having the equipment you might need ready, tees, balls clubs, whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

People telling me what I'm doing wrong. If I wanted a lesson, I'd ask.

In my experience, the ones that do this are usually no great shakes themselves, which makes it even more irritating.

Keep your head down...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

People that tee up ball very close to the line ... with some tee markers it’s hard to see if it’s ahead of the line .... some players just look at one of the makers in front of them and ignore the one behind... I do not like having to ask players to step back a little....but it gets in my head and I have to... I always tee it up a foot or two behind the line .

That's a very odd 1 to get bother about. I don't think I have ever even noticed where a playing partner has tee up his ball. Unless his completely taking the p*ss....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Sorry to drag this back into the "slow play" discussion...but...

I've been trying to figure out why I do the things that I do before a shot and really see if I'm being excessive in taking time before a shot. I'm a high handicapper so please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong but for me I feel the following are necessary before I take a shot. Keep in mind I'm working towards getting my handicap down to 18 from 29 this year. (I'm just new back to playing golf since I was a child)

1. Check Yardage. (gps watch)
    2. Check Lie.
    3. Choose club.
    4. Choose target line/approach area
    5. Visualize flight path.
    6. Practice swing (enough power? too much power? enough acceleration? good connection/bounce?)
    7. Fix my grip.
    8. Check aim of feet and shoulders.
    9. Hit ball

Personally I feel that in order for me to get better at golf these are the considerations I should be putting into each shot (obviously not necessary for each putt or drive). If I don't do these things before my long irons, short irons, short wedge shots, bunker shots and chips, then I'm only putting myself in a position where I mess up a shot and as a result a hole and if this happens numerous times...then the round completely.

I dont want to be holding anyone up and honestly I dont usually feel I am. In order to get these things correct, saying you have 40 seconds to hit the ball might sound like an awful lot to someone who is playing off 10, but when you dont have the experience to be able to just take all these things into consideration at a glance it takes longer.

Yes the 1st 5 are done before it's my turn. I assume that's why no one has taken issue with me yet

If the first 5 are done before it's your turn to hit, then you're fine. I do something along the same lines, then when it's my turn:

1 practice swing.
    Address the ball, aligning to the spot I picked earlier.
    Double-check the target.
    Hit.

I played in a three-ball this morning in under 3 hours. I didn't rush, took care with each shot. I was just ready to go when it was my turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

The only thing that annoys me is the fella who shouts 'Get in the hole' after a tee shot or jokes 'that's one' after the ball falls off the tee.

I play with a fella who says those two jokes at least ten times a round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

talla10 wrote: »
    The only thing that annoys me is the fella who shouts 'Get in the hole' after a tee shot or jokes 'that's one' after the ball falls off the tee.

I play with a fella who says those two jokes at least ten times a round!

you need to get yourself a bag of proper tees

• Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not being able to get out to play. Bit of a waste of membership

• Registered Users Posts: 14,427 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mushy wrote: »
    Not being able to get out to play. Bit of a waste of membership

Said same especially for this year.

If you’re a weekend golfer and still had to pony up full whack/increased membership it really must’ve been a tough decision to renew it. Weekends in my course are gone within minutes of going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,208 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

callaway92 wrote: »
    Said same especially for this year.

If you’re a weekend golfer and still had to pony up full whack/increased membership it really must’ve been a tough decision to renew it. Weekends in my course are gone within minutes of going up.

I can't get out for personal reasons, so it's a fair whack paying for essentially nothing. Can't even blame the lockdown for it. Will have to go the country membership route from next year just so can get gui rate/open comps in the very odd time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭blue note

Getting an early tee time for bank holiday Monday and accidentally setting your alarm for the Sunday. And not being able to get back to sleep. And far worse - your wife not being able to get back to sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I had to shush a grown man 3 times. Like the way a teacher would a student because he wouldn't stop talking when asked.

Normally people who talk to me during a swing I'll ignore them pointedly, then resume once the shot is hit, or I'll just point at the shot being taken (usually out of their view) and they get the idea.

None of that worked, so I tried holding up a hand and saying "hold on a minute.." but he just kept talking.

Constantly trying to give (terrible) swing advice to the higher handicaps in the group
    Tried it with me even after I said I get lessons
    Took practice putts after holing out with a 2ball waiting on the green
    Lay down on the back of a green complex because he was tired (same green as above)
    Constantly gave out about the course condition
    Inappropriate unfunny jokes
    List goes on

Actually ruined the round for me, only had one other experience that was worse.
    He was a low player and a bit older so how the **** he doesn't know how to compose himself on a course after "35 years on this course" I don't know

I can get over any individual issue on a golf course, it's where I go to spend my free time and not bothered getting worked up over, it's people I hate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

People not turning up who had themselves down on the time sheet. 3 ball today and playing parters both no shows

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

slingerz wrote: »
    People not turning up who had themselves down on the time sheet. 3 ball today and playing parters both no shows

Did you just play on your own or was it a competition? Same thing happened to me in a competition last summer. Was first on the time sheet and the 2 others were no shows, I was lucky that the next group out had a no show so I joined them. It's very poor form but thankfully very rarely has happened to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

blue note wrote: »
    Getting an early tee time for bank holiday Monday and accidentally setting your alarm for the Sunday. And not being able to get back to sleep. And far worse - your wife not being able to get back to sleep!

I've been that soldier, in fact iirc one time I've rocked up to the course on the wrong day, all ready to go..... embarrassing 😳

Did you just play on your own or was it a competition? Same thing happened to me in a competition last summer. Was first on the time sheet and the 2 others were no shows, I was lucky that the next group out had a no show so I joined them. It's very poor form but thankfully very rarely has happened to me

Competition but no groups either side of our tee time played the first 5 but headed off after that in no form for it.

Pondered making a complaint to the captain but prob no point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

slingerz wrote: »
    Competition but no groups either side of our tee time played the first 5 but headed off after that in no form for it.

Pondered making a complaint to the captain but prob no point

Say it to the club, it’s worth it. I put my name down on the sheet one Wednesday evening for a Sunday morning 8.10 tee time. Two others put their names down opposite me on the Wednesday night also. Sunday morning came and at 7.55 am, 15 minutes before the tee time, they both took their names off. I didn’t realise it until it was time to tee off and neither were there.

I went in to the pro and said it to him and he said they had just booked a 1pm time. I lodged a complaint and when they came up to sign in for their new time, the pro and captain were waiting for them. They were taken off the timesheet and banned from entering competitions for two weeks. Absolutely proper order and people who do that should be punished with a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Motivator wrote: »
    Say it to the club, it’s worth it. I put my name down on the sheet one Wednesday evening for a Sunday morning 8.10 tee time. Two others put their names down opposite me on the Wednesday night also. Sunday morning came and at 7.55 am, 15 minutes before the tee time, they both took their names off. I didn’t realise it until it was time to tee off and neither were there.

I went in to the pro and said it to him and he said they had just booked a 1pm time. I lodged a complaint and when they came up to sign in for their new time, the pro and captain were waiting for them. They were taken off the timesheet and banned from entering competitions for two weeks. Absolutely proper order and people who do that should be punished with a ban.

Absolutely agree with the above. I was thinking a while back it would be great if you were able to message your playing partner via the BRS App.

Just as golf was starting back up I was out first thing in a two ball with someone I didn't know. Wife had to come home sick from work the night before and then we were waiting on the GP to call back to see if she needed to be referred for a COVID test. GP only got back to us about 8.30PM. Took my name off straight away but every chance he might not check his emails and see. Was trying to ring the club from 7.30 the next morning so they could let him know but couldn't get an answer.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with the above. I was thinking a while back it would be great if you were able to message your playing partner via the BRS App.

Just as golf was starting back up I was out first thing in a two ball with someone I didn't know. Wife had to come home sick from work the night before and then we were waiting on the GP to call back to see if she needed to be referred for a COVID test. GP only got back to us about 8.30PM. Took my name off straight away but every chance he might not check his emails and see. Was trying to ring the club from 7.30 the next morning so they could let him know but couldn't get an answer.

I would be embarrassed to take my name off a time sheet and not even attempt to let the person know. You at least attempted to sort it out and make the person aware. In years gone by, people would always call and I even once had a man drive up to the club, walk down to the first tee and tell me in person that he couldn’t play. He got back in his car and went home then. Times change though and often it’s just pure ignorance displayed by people. If there’s a fourball and someone pulls off there’s no issue, but if it’s a two or a three and it leaves someone on their own it’s a **** thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I would be embarrassed to take my name off a time sheet and not even attempt to let the person know. You at least attempted to sort it out and make the person aware. In years gone by, people would always call and I even once had a man drive up to the club, walk down to the first tee and tell me in person that he couldn’t play. He got back in his car and went home then. Times change though and often it’s just pure ignorance displayed by people. If there’s a fourball and someone pulls off there’s no issue, but if it’s a two or a three and it leaves someone on their own it’s a **** thing to do.

I agree.

we use chronogolf and you have to cancel 24 hours in advance which is no use if its the evening before an early start and something comes up. i would email club but thats no use to the lad down with ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

and with that line cancelled and on my own in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Charli0

I am saying I am short and have small hands and that hinders me from playing golf properly in my point of view it can be that or I just generally suck at the game.

Reminded of another one today. Groups who tee off on 1st hole the second you are out of range without waiting for their tee time. Then they are on top of you for the first few holes making you have to speed up because you feel you're playing slow. Happened today and the group behind were waiting on us several times throughout the round, we were playing at a good pace so it's their own fault but still annoys me

Reminded of another one today. Groups who tee off on 1st hole the second you are out of range without waiting for their tee time. Then they are on top of you for the first few holes making you have to speed up because you feel you're playing slow. Happened today and the group behind were waiting on us several times throughout the round, we were playing at a good pace so it's their own fault but still annoys me

It happened us at the weekend, and an altercation took place as early as 3rd hole. We were on the green and looked back to see four fellas leaning on their clubs waiting to hit. Two of them went OB off the tee and threw balls down to hit in off the fairway so they had absolutely no right to be up our arses. One of my partners is a bit of a hot head and decided he’d walk back to them after he putted. We said to leave it but he was seething. He said they could play through but that he’d be speeding up and hitting down on them on every hole if they played through. They declined and they eased off after that.

It’s rude and it’s unfair to put fellow players under pressure especially when there is no need whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Have had this happen in club comps before and group behind giving out about it being slow at every opportunity. They soon shut up when they are questioned on whether it was a disqualification or 2 stroke penalty they took for the privilege of playing up our hole ;)

Have had this happen in club comps before and group behind giving out about it being slow at every opportunity. They soon shut up when they are questioned on whether it was a disqualification or 2 stroke penalty they took for the privilege of playing up our hole ;)

There was a big hullabaloo in our club during a medal a few years ago when a group did this and tee'd off right behind another group. A complaint was made and the entire group who tee'd off too early were disqualified because apparently there is a rule if you tee off more than 5 minutes before(and after?) your tee time then it's a dq

There was a big hullabaloo in our club during a medal a few years ago when a group did this and tee'd off right behind another group. A complaint was made and the entire group who tee'd off too early were disqualified because apparently there is a rule if you tee off more than 5 minutes before(and after?) your tee time then it's a dq

There is no apparently. Also within 5 mins of the starting time it’s a general penalty. Even more fun is telling people in your group, who hit early, that you won’t be hitting off early in order to avoid disqualification/penalty.

I’ve had 2 guys (out of our 4 ball) tee off 8 mins early, while the other member and myself watch on the putting green, for a captains qualifier. The lads then start giving out that we can go and they have to be at something on later to get finished for. Well known for this sort of sh1te and normally would stay clear but they added themselves to the line.

To cut a long story short, the comp secretary was out in group behind and chatting to us just as the guys started giving out. I just happened to subtly dig back that I’d prefer not to be disqualified for breaking the rules as I have nowhere to be later on. Cue the comp secretary stepping in and informing them of the rules resulting in 2 lads heading to the car park in a huff :D

They actually both played at different times the day before so booked multiple times to hedge their bets weather wise I’m guessing. Should still have taken their names out tho

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

There is no apparently. Also within 5 mins of the starting time it’s a general penalty. Even more fun is telling people in your group, who hit early, that you won’t be hitting off early in order to avoid disqualification/penalty.

I’ve had 2 guys (out of our 4 ball) tee off 8 mins early, while the other member and myself watch on the putting green, for a captains qualifier. The lads then start giving out that we can go and they have to be at something on later to get finished for. Well known for this sort of sh1te and normally would stay clear but they added themselves to the line.

To cut a long story short, the comp secretary was out in group behind and chatting to us just as the guys started giving out. I just happened to subtly dig back that I’d prefer not to be disqualified for breaking the rules as I have nowhere to be later on. Cue the comp secretary stepping in and informing them of the rules resulting in 2 lads heading to the car park in a huff :D

Jesus. Not sure who I feel sorrier for... :o

• Advertisement

Jesus. Not sure who I feel sorrier for... :o

Rules are rules. Far too many people think sure what advantage am I gaining or what's the harm.

Normally most people are ok but if you tee off early before your playing partners are on the tee box then you deserve anything coming to you.

I've actually been left standing on the tee box 10 minutes before my tee time in a comp due to the others having tee'd off before the tee time too.

Advertisement