Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭dk1982

People saying I had 33 points "but I'd X scratches". So what, you still had 33 points, no matter how you got it. Makes your round absolutely no better than someone who had 33 points and no scratches. In fact, having 33 with no scratches probably better as you could have had 10 strokes around each of your scratched holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

newport2 wrote: »
    This.

Also, there's different types of slow. Someone who is methodical doesn't bother me too much. But the one who consistently leaves their bag on the wrong side of the green, takes practice putts to retry the one they've just missed while people are waiting on the fairway, waits for green to clear on par 5 before hitting his 280yrd approach after his drive went 220, etc are annoying. It's their lack of consideration for anyone else on the course that miffs me.

Thats extremely frustrating allright. Have seen a guy walk back onto a green to practice putting while we were waiting in the fairway to play in.

Agree with you about different types of slow play. I'd rather a guy takes an extra 20 seconds to line himself up and then steps up and hits it over the guy who walks over and takes 3/4 practice swings before actually hitting it. Luckily I haven't come across anyone too obsessed with the range finders so far, most people using them have been at their ball, zapped their distance and have a club in hand and ready to go which is how it should be IMO. Waiting for others to hit before checking yardage would be a head wrecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Skyfloater

Concerning earlier posts about dress codes for juniors, how close to their usual summer uniform of runners, shorts and a t-shirt can a 10 and 12 year old get?
    I signed my lads up to a local club recently, but I haven't a clue if they need golf shoes, slacks or collared shirt or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Concerning earlier posts about dress codes for juniors, how close to their usual summer uniform of runners, shorts and a t-shirt can a 10 and 12 year old get?
    I signed my lads up to a local club recently, but I haven't a clue if they need golf shoes, slacks or collared shirt or not.

Golf shoes would be a minimum requirement for safety reasons and so they aren't going around with wet feet on a dewy morning. Any kind of shorts except gaa/football kind should be fine. T-shirt might be okay but if you want to avoid some dress code freak saying something then best to get some plain polo shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

Skyfloater wrote: »

Every club should educate juniors on etiquette and attire, it’s not hard to do yet a lot of clubs don’t do it. I’ve no idea what your club will be like with juniors but no harm in asking, it could save them getting grief off someone up there. I had it when I was about 13, a guy claimed to be a past captain and had a go off me for wearing my hat backwards on the putting green. I nearly died and didn’t want to go back the following day because he made a show out of me. My dad caught wind of it, knew the guy I was talking about and he wasn’t a past captain. amu dad went up the following day to have it out with him in the clubhouse. He made a show out of him and I never got grief afterwards. For clothes, nothing wrong with Dunnes or tesco shorts. For a junior you’d get 3 or 4 pairs - enough for the summer - for €30. T shirts can be got on sportsdirect as well for relatively cheap.

Regarding adults not adhering to rules on attire, it drives me mad for some reason. On Saturday I played with a guy who wore a pair of €150 runners and he said golf shoes were too expensive. I picked up shoes, a couple of pairs of shorts and a few tshirts on sale for €150. It’s laziness sometimes with people. Same with jeans, seeing anyone wearing jeans playing golf drives me nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Motivator wrote: »
    Every club should educate juniors on etiquette and attire, it’s not hard to do yet a lot of clubs don’t do it. I’ve no idea what your club will be like with juniors but no harm in asking, it could save them getting grief off someone up there. I had it when I was about 13, a guy claimed to be a past captain and had a go off me for wearing my hat backwards on the putting green. I nearly died and didn’t want to go back the following day because he made a show out of me. My dad caught wind of it, knew the guy I was talking about and he wasn’t a past captain. amu dad went up the following day to have it out with him in the clubhouse. He made a show out of him and I never got grief afterwards. For clothes, nothing wrong with Dunnes or tesco shorts. For a junior you’d get 3 or 4 pairs - enough for the summer - for €30. T shirts can be got on sportsdirect as well for relatively cheap.

Regarding adults not adhering to rules on attire, it drives me mad for some reason. On Saturday I played with a guy who wore a pair of €150 runners and he said golf shoes were too expensive. I picked up shoes, a couple of pairs of shorts and a few tshirts on sale for €150. It’s laziness sometimes with people. Same with jeans, seeing anyone wearing jeans playing golf drives me nuts.

I wear golf gear, but if something that somebody wears drives ya mad think that's a bit ott.

Why would you care what anyone else wears? Its not you wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Some of you guys have really weird hang ups

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

On the dress code - I do kind of want people to dress in golf clothes on the course. But if there was a vote I'd vote against it for sure. It makes no sense that someone wouldn't be allowed to play in a jersey or a tank top. It has nothing to do with the game and if someone feels more comfortable playing like that we shouldn't judge them. I would, but I shouldn't. But the failing would be mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh, the clothes one is a funny point.

In particular, for Under 16 year olds, I don't think there needs to be a dress etiquette at all.

However, I was playing at my home course recently and a 4 Ball of mid-20s (obviously went out first thing in morning) were coming up the 18th in their GAA jerseys & training shorts and it did look out of place. I suppose you wouldn't be allowed into a bar/nightclub with them, so having a dress code to an extent is needed just for people to not take the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭jcon1913

newport2 wrote: »
    This.

Also, there's different types of slow. Someone who is methodical doesn't bother me too much. But the one who consistently leaves their bag on the wrong side of the green, takes practice putts to retry the one they've just missed while people are waiting on the fairway, waits for green to clear on par 5 before hitting his 280yrd approach after his drive went 220, etc are annoying. It's their lack of consideration for anyone else on the course that miffs me.
    Agree with most of this - look at Padraig Harrington, stands over the ball on the green 2 practise swings, hit the ball. Job done. Similar at the tee box.

Guys need to do all that rehashing when they are on their own in practise. Too late re-hashing a putt you just F-ed up, got over it and move along.

Similarly someone who take 8-10 shots to get on to the green, they take a few putts and then they need to move on and pick up the ball, all and sundry should not have to wait while they take 14 putts.

Practise on the practise green, or the driving range, not on the golf course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

There aren't many things that annoy me on the course. I see it as a way to relax and not be on the couch, but the one thing that when i see it i cringe...

I dont even know what to call it...golf jersey? club jumper? Its just awful. Its like this green wooly jumper with the club crest on it.

If i ever became good enough to play for the club...I wouldnt play...because there is zero chance im ever wearing that thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Don't play golf, have no interest in golf but my lad (14) does play and enjoys it.
    As for the dress code, I think it's very important for the juniors.
    He always wears a plain pair of shorts, a polo shirt and golf shoes.
    It's about respect, for the club and your fellow players.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

IK09 wrote: »
    There aren't many things that annoy me on the course. I see it as a way to relax and not be on the couch, but the one thing that when i see it i cringe...

I dont even know what to call it...golf jersey? club jumper? Its just awful. Its like this green wooly jumper with the club crest on it.

If i ever became good enough to play for the club...I wouldnt play...because there is zero chance im ever wearing that thing

Most clubs have modernised the wardrobe now that you can get a nice foot joy zippy with the club crest on it or the shirt with different colours. The woolly jumper is on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

callaway92 wrote: »
    To get easy ones out of the way:

Playing poorly
    Bad weather
    Slow play/people being blatant and not leaving you through when it would make sense to
    Rude playing partners

Inspiration for the thread for me though:

Clubs not having fixture lists on their websites/social media etc. There was a medal comp in my home club last weekend and I wasn’t aware. Friend only copped it when up there

Similarly, competition results not being posted on coin website/social media. Again, very annoying

One more then (noticed at Charleville where I’m not a member):

Lack of signage to where next tee box is
    Lack of info on tee box - Stroke index of hole and distance (don’t always use the watch)

The sheet hysteria over the sport.

IK09 wrote: »

I laughed out loud at this one. On Sunday afternoon in the sweltering heat our club captain was going around in a cart saying hello to people during the competition. He had his tie on, his lamb wool jumper and club blazer buttoned up. He must have been fit to collapse, the sweat was running off him when he reached us on the third hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Regardless of your opinion on the stuffiness of dress codes, i can't understand why anyone would actually want to wear jeans playing golf for no other reasons than they're just not comfortable. Jean can be heavy, tight fitting and don't have much give in them. Obviously you're not running around playing golf but the game does reply on a fair amount of lower body movement in the form of turning/twisting and jeans just aren't comfortable for that.......

i have a pair of Nike trousers that have a denim "look" to them so i'm looking forward to some aul lad pulling me up on it but they are most definitely nike golf and are very comfortable as a result....clearly an effort by Nike to make golf clothing more "trendy"....

Cost aside, golf clothing is no where near as preppy and stuff as it used to be so plenty of options out there. For kids, doesn't have to cost the earth either and plain generic stuff as mentioned before is perfect....

Slow play

And people who accuse me of being slow because I stand over the ball motionless for about 10 seconds before I hit it.

I only hit 80 shots in my round to your 120. I walk quickly between shots and I dont take practice swings. If I want to make myself comfortably over the ball before I hit it, i should be entitled to without the usual disparaging remarks

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Rikand wrote: »
    Slow play

And people who accuse me of being slow because I stand over the ball motionless for about 10 seconds before I hit it.

I only hit 80 shots in my round to your 120. I walk quickly between shots and I dont take practice swings. If I want to make myself comfortably over the ball before I hit it, i should be entitled to without the usual disparaging remarks

Why do you stand over a ball for 10 seconds as a matter of interest?

Why do you stand over a ball for 10 seconds as a matter of interest?

I play a lot less golf these days compared to how I used to and as a result, I find it hard to trigger my back swing as I'm so clogged up in swing thoughts. Takes a few seconds for me to clear my mind and focus on the two thoughts I need to process my swing

I play a lot less golf these days compared to how I used to and as a result, I find it hard to trigger my back swing as I'm so clogged up in swing thoughts. Takes a few seconds for me to clear my mind and focus on the two thoughts I need to process my swing

There’s a difference between a “few seconds” and 10 seconds. I will take my name off the sheet if I have to put up with a guy who stands motionless for 10 seconds before he hits every shot. That kind of stuff is a total drain to watch and to play with. I’m not having a go at you either by the way, everyone is entitled to play whatever way they like and by the sounds of it you’re not going to hold up the group behind you. Just watching it would drain my brain though. I don’t care about the honour on the tee or anything like that, if you’re ready then you play. But standing watching someone mess around for 10 seconds or whatever will kill my momentum. I don’t mind for particular shots like a putt or something but Jesus not every shot.

• Advertisement

There’s a difference between a “few seconds” and 10 seconds. I will take my name off the sheet if I have to put up with a guy who stands motionless for 10 seconds before he hits every shot. That kind of stuff is a total drain to watch and to play with. I’m not having a go at you either by the way, everyone is entitled to play whatever way they like and by the sounds of it you’re not going to hold up the group behind you. Just watching it would drain my brain though. I don’t care about the honour on the tee or anything like that, if you’re ready then you play. But standing watching someone mess around for 10 seconds or whatever will kill my momentum. I don’t mind for particular shots like a putt or something but Jesus not every shot.

That's fair enough. I'm trying to quicken up but I find that when I do, I hit the ball with less consistency.

I'm like Tin Cup. My brain is getting in the way. It never used to happen to me before.

For now I'll just say that i hope we dont get paired together anytime soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Jesus you'd hate me so haha. I take a couple practice swings...then stand for probably 6-10 seconds....and i shoot just over 100 right now. Im trying to get better. Ive never had anyone complain to me about slow play.

There was 2 occasions on my last round I started my backswing and didnt like the takeaway as it was obstructed by grass moving the club or whatever (which i wasnt expecting) and I stopped the swing. Apologized to the people i was playing with. Reset and hit the ball.

In the case of stopping the swing and resetting, i know im not a pro, but im working hard to break 100 post lockdown. Pre lockdown I was working hard to break 90. Ive let people play through on 1 of my 3 rounds back since lockdown where i felt i was holding them up. Im not going to rush and sacrifice my round because someone doesnt like the way i play. If they have an issue with it they can easily ask me my name and make sure not to book a slot directly behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

Slow play

Walking quickly between shots only works if your playing partners are walking quickly too. Unless you walk off on them but even then if they're further from the hole you'll have to wait for them to play anyway. You can't walk out in front of them.

10 seconds to stand over a ball is a long time. I wonder does it just feel that long but in fact is only half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh, I suppose for the likes of me complaining about what we perceive as 'slow' players, the slower player may also have issues with players who rush too much, almost forcing them to speed up their game when that's not how they play.

When someone is celebrating finishing a round in 2 Hours 35 mins etc, that's a ridic speed to be going, no matter what length the course is.

blue note wrote: »
    Walking quickly between shots only works if your playing partners are walking quickly too. Unless you walk off on them but even then if they're further from the hole you'll have to wait for them to play anyway. You can't walk out in front of them.

10 seconds to stand over a ball is a long time. I wonder does it just feel that long but in fact is only half that.

I've never timed myself. It could be longer. My playing partners are sick of it and any time we fall behind the group in front, the comments to speed up are directed at me. I try to play with a different group most weekend now as to not inconvenience my friends.

You're right about one thing though. I've often walked so far ahead to try get to my ball quickly that I cant approach it properly and it ends up taking me just as long to hit it. I spend more time apologising to my playing partners than I do hitting the ball. It's really starting to effect me

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I’m intrigued by this “10 second” rule.

Is it okay to spend 15-20 seconds lining up and practice swinging, as long as you only spend a maximum of 5 seconds in the address position?

Or is 10 seconds in the address position acceptable so long as that’s the sum of your pre shot routine?

Or neither?

——

This strikes me as exceptionally impatient.

On sunday we were right with the group ahead of us after 5 holes. By the time the 9th hole came around we had fallen 2 holes behind and the group behind us had caught up and were being held by us. I was level par gross for those 4 holes but still the comments on the 10th tee were aimed at me and that "we" needed to quicken up. Surely if I'm hitting less shots than everyone else, I can afford to spend more time setting myself up to hit ?

I must get someone to time me sometime. Considering I take no practice swings I should be able to match most people for time it takes to hit a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

On sunday we were right with the group ahead of us after 5 holes. By the time the 9th hole came around we had fallen 2 holes behind and the group behind us had caught up and were being held by us. I was level par gross for those 4 holes but still the comments on the 10th tee were aimed at me and that "we" needed to quicken up. Surely if I'm hitting less shots than everyone else, I can afford to spend more time setting myself up to hit ?

I must get someone to time me sometime. Considering I take no practice swings I should be able to match most people for time it takes to hit a shot

Your group fell two holes behind. At least one of you is a problem.

thewobbler wrote: »
    Your group fell two holes behind. At least one of you is a problem.

Probably me so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I doubt there are many people who take their practice swings and shot in less than 10 seconds

Advertisement