Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Yeah, he's been exceptional for about 2 full seasons now but he hasn't managed to play his way back in, which is a shame for him.

Great to see all the younger players going well, but I have been very impressed by Jamie Osborne. I read elsewhere he never even played AIL, has gone straight from schools to senior rugby, and he looks completely comfortable imo. Well able for the pace and physicality of Pro14 rugby straight away.

he didn't play schools rugby, came through underage club rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Dave closing in on the Pro 14 leading try scorer record after last night.

unknown.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dave closing in on the Pro 14 leading try scorer record after last night.

unknown.png

Why is Wootton top? Was he first there?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »
    Why is Wootton top? Was he first there?

Yeah and Connacht are playing later today so game in hand sort of thing

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jamie Os-bourne for the Byrne List?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

sebdavis wrote: »
    With the form of Dave Kearney over the last 2 season does anyone think he will ever get back into the Irish setup? I have loved seeing him come back after a number of years of injury issues but he just doesn't seem to have the right face now for the Ireland team. At 31 he still can make the next World and has huge experience.

I see constant calls for XYZ to get back into squad and team but nobody mentions Dave who is far better form to both. Yes I know its the Pro14 but he has been playing well in Europe as well for 2 season

But does he start in Leinster's strongest 15 though? I think it is probably Keenan, Lowe and Larmour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

I'd probably start him ahead of Lowe at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I hope that Leo gives the boys who got us through the league the final. They've been great and really have put in some performances.
    Josh Murphy does have a problem with his discipline. Hopefully, he can fix it. He appears to be a fine line out option too. Very solid player and he will push Ruddock fairly soon. Obviously, Ruddock is getting on in age.

I'd love to see Dooley, Moloney, JOB, DK and Sheehan play in the final. I think Luke probably starts and RB may also. ROL Hopefully gets involved too.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I'd love to see Dooley, Moloney, JOB, DK and Sheehan play in the final. I think Luke probably starts and RB may also. ROL Hopefully gets involved too.

I think Luke is and always has been first choice for Leinster despite JGP's status in Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Have we had the Osbournes supremacy for title thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

shaungil wrote: »
    Have we had the Osbournes supremacy for title thread?

We had The Byrne Supremacy! But not the Osbournes Supremacy... Or the Bern(ard Jackman) Supremacy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Sangre wrote: »
    But does he start in Leinster's strongest 15 though? I think it is probably Keenan, Lowe and Larmour.

On current form I think he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think Larmour drops out of our strongest 23 currently

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Don't see that myself. He's been very good, bar a horror show in the air in one game, since he came back from injury.

Keenan, Lowe and Larmour all day for a big game day.

Provided all are fit, it's the 23 jersey you'd have a headache with. Probably JOB as he covers everywhere.

Harsh on DK, he's been scoring loads of tries, but the games he's featuring in you really need to consider the oppo.. He's very strong, and gets around defenders he has no right to, great finisher, and in great form, but the other players just have that big game factor for me, you know they'll turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd have DK in the team without doubt. He's incredibly reliable and in excellent form. You can't leave out an established pro who has performed at test level and currently has 22 tries in his last 26 starts including 5 in Europe and 2 in interpros so not all in walkover games.

Whilst someone like Larmour may have a higher ceiling, his floor is significantly lower too. There's a reason that the likes of Saracens and Munster look to target Larmour when he's on the field. Teams don't bother trying that with DK as they know they'll get very little reward.

For me, it's Larmour in the 23 jersey. JOB has had a great season but Ross Byrne starting games at 12 and 13 since Christmas means his versatility is no longer as required. A pure back three player is probably the sensible call especially when they're of the quality of Larmour who can really spark something from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Really don't see Larmour as having big game factor currently.

Kearney scores far, far more and is less error-prone for me. If Larmour was given the nod it'd be with an eye on the future, rather than based on their current abilities. Over the past 2 seasons Kearney is scoring nearly 0.9 tries per 80m and Larmour is around 0.2, and that's including European games.

The last time they were in a European squad (that I can remember) Larmour was at 15 with Kearney/Lowe on the wings, and I'd imagine it'd be the same now with Keenan pushing Larmour to 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

.ak wrote: »
    Don't see that myself. He's been very good, bar a horror show in the air in one game, since he came back from injury.

Keenan, Lowe and Larmour all day for a big game day.

Provided all are fit, it's the 23 jersey you'd have a headache with. Probably JOB as he covers everywhere.

Harsh on DK, he's been scoring loads of tries, but the games he's featuring in you really need to consider the oppo.. He's very strong, and gets around defenders he has no right to, great finisher, and in great form, but the other players just have that big game factor for me, you know they'll turn it on.

Think that's harsh tbh, DK played very well in Europe too, he's been good against all opposition and scoring tries against all opposition.

I'd stick with him and bench Larmour tbh.

There's a title thread poll there for ye now... Who said we're not efficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Hopefully Larmour gets a grip on his weakness under the high balls. Other than that, his game is fantastic. He makes yards, beats defenders and he can tackle. But, the weakness is glaring. Hence, the emergence of Keenan, who's solid in all aspects.

Having just watched the Zebre match, I think Leo will be furious that 2 tries were conceded so late in the match. This happened with Toner, Treacy, Bent playing too! It's now becoming a frequent occurrence.

DK had a stormer. Murphy too and Dunne got to show what he can do. A lot of positives and some negatives. The young lads look good but some errors. O'Reilly was a mixed bag, but overall he's done quiet well. Osborne looks to be a very physical lad and I was impressed with Soroka. Sheehan could be monstrous for us, beast with the ball and Clarkson did ok. I thought Clarkson struggled in the scrum as the game wore on, but overall he was decent. These lads have been very good for us and have shown up every week. They are all very comfortable at this level(pro 14) and many of them are european level. What an awfully modest squad we possess.

Don’t mind me. Just seeking refuge from the Ireland match thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lots of bile being spewed in the.matxh thread alright.

Very unedifying seeing the obvious glee some are taking at Lowe's performance.

Clegg wrote: »
    Lots of bile being spewed in the.matxh thread alright.

Very unedifying seeing the obvious glee some are taking at Lowe's performance.

He had a bad game today but I don’t think he was anywhere near as bad as some were spouting over the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

salmocab wrote: »
    He had a bad game today but I don’t think he was anywhere near as bad as some were spouting over the last month.

Lowe had a decent first half I thought. Played a big part in our first attack with a carry and offload. Snuffed out a potential Russell try with a good cover tackle and fielded well. But people were frothing at the mouth to blame him for the Russell try when really it was down to Ringrose's error.

Had a poor second half mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Whatever about Lowe's performance, which wasn't great in defence to be honest despite some really good carries in attack, it seems they're now just lumping in on JGP who to be honest I thought had a decent game bar one or two kicks that didn't get enough length on them. Bizzare behaviour but suppose it's to be expected every international period.

Whatever about Lowe's performance, which wasn't great in defence to be honest despite some really good carries in attack, it seems they're now just lumping in on JGP who to be honest I thought had a decent game bar one or two kicks that didn't get enough length on them. Bizzare behaviour but suppose it's to be expected every international period.

JGP was really good today I thought, I prefer him to McGrath and have done for a good while, there just seems to be more urgency about the back line when he’s there.

JGP has always been the quicker of the two, but for a good wall he had a very flawed game in terms of managing the pack, and killing the ball, also his kicking was woeful.

In fairness to him, he's worked really hard on all of those areas and is deserving of a starting slot at 9 for Ireland.

I think McGrath is in great form too now though.... Great headache for us to have coming into the business end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

People are emotionally invested in John Cooney. Actual performances are irrelevant at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

There's definitely a reason I can think of why some (obviously not all) people would be lumping them together unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Morathi wrote: »
    There's definitely a reason I can think of why some (obviously not all) people would be lumping them together unfortunately.

If (God forbid) the Ireland team was decided or even influenced by the Boards Ireland match threads, we'd have had nearly every player banished into international exile after an occasional bad performance.

When the inevitable " XXX should never be allowed wear a green jersey again" comments start, it's always a good time to come back to the relative safety of the Leinster thread and how we could field a team of Byrnes/Byrne/Burn/Beirnes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Buer

People are emotionally invested in John Cooney. Actual performances are irrelevant at this point.

The more I watch Cooney and Carty, the more convinced I am that many who are advocating for their involvement aren't actually watching them.

Regarding today, Lowe was poor and not for the first time in green. I think today was the tipping point. That level of effort and defensive execution cannot be accommodated at test level. There are several other options who have performed at test level and are deserving or a shot.

JGP was mixed. He had a very indecisive and inaccurate first half but was much improved after the break. I was surprised he played the 80 which made me think Murray may not be fully fit but he controlled things relatively well to the end.

I'd imagine POM comes back into the 23 next week and therefore Conan is back with Leinster for the Pro14 final.

Advertisement