Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

A heads up (if you weren't aware) that the game kicks off at 5.45pm today rather than the usual 7.35pm.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What turnip munching mod changed the thread title??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

sydthebeat wrote: »

Someone sore that they will never bleed blue and white and lift the Koi Samui cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I'm well and truly jizzed off by this.

What channel is the big game on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Premier Sports have Adam Byrne starting at 10. That's some recovery he's made. And to switch positions. Modern medicine is magical!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

They're just jealous of our ability to ABSOLUTELY SEND IT

Two more suggestions from me (it's been a slow day).

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: In For A Penny

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: Byrning Down The House

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: Ireland in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

How many Byrnes could Leinster pick simultaneously if all players from the professional era were available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: Byrne Notice

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: Byrne After Reading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: Basically The Ireland Thread

Leinster/Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: One In The Same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭leakyboots

How many Byrnes could Leinster pick simultaneously if all players from the professional era were available?

1. Emmett Byrne (I think he'd handle the switch)
    2. Brian Byrne
    3. Ed Byrne
    4. Tadgh Beirne (tenuous!)
    7. Ned Byrne (not professional era, and a front-rower... :pac:)
    8. Shane Byrne (the mullet would be rampant at 8)
    10. Harry Byrne
    12. Ross Byrne
    14. Adam Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Shaun Berne!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

13 Shaun Berne

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Wasn't there a Beirne who played outhalf for a while back about 10 years ago. An Australian lad?

See above

5. Adam Byrnes

Sub utility back : Mick Berne

16. Bern-ard Jackman? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

With the form of Dave Kearney over the last 2 season does anyone think he will ever get back into the Irish setup? I have loved seeing him come back after a number of years of injury issues but he just doesn't seem to have the right face now for the Ireland team. At 31 he still can make the next World and has huge experience.

I see constant calls for XYZ to get back into squad and team but nobody mentions Dave who is far better form to both. Yes I know its the Pro14 but he has been playing well in Europe as well for 2 season

I think it's just age. He's 32 in the summer which means he's 34 at the RWC.

On form, and he's been consistently good since finally getting over his injuries, he'd be in the squad.

I'd love to see him involved again but we're probably better served giving younger guys the run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd much rather invest time in a Baloucoune than re-call Dave Kearney.

On current form there is no doubt that Kearney would add value to the Ireland setup, but it's the match threads where his presence would really be felt.

I'd much rather invest time in a Baloucoune than re-call Dave Kearney.

We are starting Earls on the wing at weekend.

As I said on the Irish thread I would do the same and invest in young player but if Ireland are playing more experience players then why not put some form players into the team?

Venjur wrote: »
    On current form there is no doubt that Kearney would add value to the Ireland setup, but it's the match threads where his presence would really be felt.

It's crazy to remember he played every minute of Ireland first 6 nations win under Schmidt and for every minute of that he drove some sections of the support absolutely mental :P

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭lotmc

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII: Another star is Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Solid win last night. Some very impressive showings from some younger guys. I'd imagine Byrne was annoyed with so many conversions from out wide! He played well though. One massive touch finder dribbled the wrong side of the flag and was brought back but generally a really good game. The opposition was poor but he took far more ownership of the game than he has done generally. The tap and go was a real confidence moment and he attacked the line aggressively from the get go. His restarts were excellent, not for the first time.

I'd be very interested to see him starting the final although it's unlikely. As it stands, it has been an excellent season for him in terms of development.

I thought Jack Dunne put in a really effective and physical showing. He's coming to terms with his added bulk and using it more although, again, we have to consider the opposition.

Sheehan was obviously excellent and looks like a more powerful Sean Cronin. Couple of line out wobbles but he has time to work on those.

Josh Murphy and Luke McGrath continued their good form. Murphy still gave away his customary penalty. It's always going to be a black mark against him and a reason not to select him in a crunch match. Many other aspects of his game are up there with Ruddock at this point and he's a better carrier in open play. He doesn't have the overall work rate but that gap is closing.

It was comfortably the best showing we've seen from Tom Clarkson also who put himself about in the loose a lot more than previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Hope Dunne, Sheehan, Clarkson are retained in starting pack for Ospreys.]

Agreed on Dunne looking more coordinated and able to use his size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

sebdavis wrote: »
    We are starting Earls on the wing at weekend.

As I said on the Irish thread I would do the same and invest in young player but if Ireland are playing more experience players then why not put some form players into the team?

Earls has much more international experience though. Farrell spoke about him as if he was Rob Kearney saying he's a leader in the backfield communicating with players etc.

Dave is playing better but not sure he's got that experience and leadership or status in the squad that Farrell wants.

I'd say barring injury Daves international career is over. Which is a pity because he's a much better player than he gets credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Scratchly wrote: »
    Earls has much more international experience though. Farrell spoke about him as if he was Rob Kearney saying he's a leader in the backfield communicating with players etc.

Dave is playing better but not sure he's got that experience and leadership or status in the squad that Farrell wants.

I'd say barring injury Daves international career is over. Which is a pity because he's a much better player than he gets credit for.

Yeah, he's been exceptional for about 2 full seasons now but he hasn't managed to play his way back in, which is a shame for him.

Great to see all the younger players going well, but I have been very impressed by Jamie Osborne. I read elsewhere he never even played AIL, has gone straight from schools to senior rugby, and he looks completely comfortable imo. Well able for the pace and physicality of Pro14 rugby straight away.

• Advertisement

Scratchly wrote: »

This is an issue I find, playing a guy out of form because he has international experience is crazy. Hence why 2019 was a disaster.
    Not for this thread but says a lot when we keep a lad in the team because he has played a few more games.

Advertisement