Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    When do ye think Ghostbusters will get a run out?

12th November in the UK so say same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

AMKC wrote: »
    Your right. Don't how I mixed that up. I blame the bang on my head yesterday because I can be so clumsy sometimes.
    Anyway it does not change my opinion. It's a Monday on a long weekend which I hate. Anyway unless there is any big films out like Venome 2 or Bond or Top Gun I will not be risking going to it for a while as much as I would love too

It's not a risk at all though. I went before Christmas and there is so much space between you and anyone else it's almost comical. I don't think even one case has been traced back to a cinema so it has to be one of the safest activities you could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Top Gun is the only film I think I want to see this year

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

santana75 wrote: »
    It's not a risk at all though. I went before Christmas and there is so much space between you and anyone else it's almost comical. I don't think even one case has been traced back to a cinema so it has to be one of the safest activities you could do.

It's not the cinema risk I am worried about it is getting there on public transport.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Niska

Omniplex (Limerick anyway, probably the rest as well) are taking bookings- Monday 7th through Thursday
    Peter Rabbit 2 and A Quiet Place Part II the only two movies listed.

https://omniplex.ie/cinema/limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,305 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Totally agree I was in the lighthouse a few times before Christmas it was top notch.
    Screenings pretty quiet, even sold out ones felt empty.
    I will be going back asap

It's not the cinema risk I am worried about it is getting there on public transport.
    Maybe go to an early screening?
    I think public transport is at 50 percent max.

Ms

gmisk wrote: »
    Maybe go to an early screening?
    I think public transport is at 50 percent max.

That is what I do.

Yes public transport is back to 50 per cent.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Niska wrote: »
    Omniplex (Limerick anyway, probably the rest as well) are taking bookings- Monday 7th through Thursday
    Peter Rabbit 2 and A Quiet Place Part II the only two movies listed.

https://omniplex.ie/cinema/limerick

Just checked my local omniplex and A quiet place II is already sold out for Monday, other shows filling up fast aswell. Great to see after a lot of talk about the demise of cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just checked my local omniplex and A quiet place II is already sold out for Monday, other shows filling up fast aswell. Great to see after a lot of talk about the demise of cinema.

To be fair it’s lower capacity so sold out might be 30 tickets

(Not that I think Cinema is dead - or have ever said similar on here)

Ms

silverharp wrote: »
    Top Gun is the only film I think I want to see this year

Ghostbusters could be good too if they get it right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Still no sign of the lighthouse opening on Monday....

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Might be doing the same as the IFI and opening on the 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

I was way off. They're reopening on the 25th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

“Nobody “ is getting a release in the odeon although there’s a whole thread of people who’ve seen it already :)

Excellent movie

• Advertisement

sterz wrote: »
    I was way off. They're reopening on the 25th.
    I saw that seemingly they are mid refurb.

I am going to the odeon point village to see a quiet place part 2 on Monday. Big screen and it's like a ghost town at the best of time.
    Plus I had a voucher from 2019 so it was free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Ghostbusters not out until November? :eek:

Ms

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Ghostbusters not out until November? :eek:

Good. I should have my vaccine got by then be it one or two jabs.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Got myself tickets to the phillo documentary . Looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

Just booked the odeon for Monday night. Really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Off to the Point on Monday to see the new Conjuring film. I can't wait. I haven't been since the week before the first lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just booked into Stella cinema for a Quiet Place 2.

So excited!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

How much are tickets in Odeon?

Got myself tickets to the phillo documentary . Looking forward to it now.

Where is that playing?

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    How much are tickets in Odeon?

€8 but if you’re a member (free) they have saver Monday for €6

Where is that playing?

stella cinemas rathmines and ranelagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Cineworld is re-opening on Friday 18th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Lighthouse Cinema reopening on 25th June.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Had a look at Vue, only film showing up is "Hey Duggee at the movies" on 27th.

Ms

F1ngers wrote: »
    Had a look at Vue, only film showing up is "Hey Duggee at the movies" on 27th.

Very disappointing alright. Must be getting it hard to get there employees back.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Great to see everyone getting ready for the cinema re-openings.

Same her, booked to see A Quiet Place 2 tomorrow afternoon.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Great to see everyone getting ready for the cinema re-openings.

Same her, booked to see A Quiet Place 2 tomorrow afternoon.

Really good reviews so far aswell so it's looking like it won't disappoint.

Great to be back in a cinema but the idea was a terrible experience.

Counted 22 people either mot wearing a mask or wearing it under their chins with no enforcement from the staff/management.

Despite being sold out, people were still turning up. Then they were selling takeaway food and people were wueueing to buy that mixed in with people who wanted to see the movie.

Got to the place at 19:50 for a 20:30 movie, got into the screen at 21:05. Missed about 20/30 mins.

First day back and all that but can’t believe they were so disorganised and didn’t anticipate this.

Not impressed.

They should have had a separate queue for take away and then prioritised based on start time.

Had invested in proper atmos surround and a big screen suiting the first lock down. Looks like I’ll be going back to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I went to the cinema in Dundrum today and thought place was filthy. Carpet was black and sticky. Would've thought the might have used the lockdown to give the place a bit of a cleanup but obviously not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

OU812 wrote: »
    Great to be back in a cinema but the idea was a terrible experience.

Counted 22 people either mot wearing a mask or wearing it under their chins with no enforcement from the staff/management.

At their seats or in the lobby area when walking around? As I'm fairly sure you don't have to wear the mask at your seat in the cinema like in a restaurant etc.

GT89 wrote: »
    At their seats or in the lobby area when walking around? As I'm fairly sure you don't have to wear the mask at your seat in the cinema like in a restaurant etc.

In the lobby. No mask required while seated

Went to Omniplex last night to see A quiet place II and it was a glorious experience. Great to be back, the movie was an absolute belter, everything ran smoothly. Walked in, was directed up the stairs, scanned ticket, took seat, simple and no problems at all.

If any of you live in Dublin you should go to Stella cinema, the difference in the experience is unreal. You pay more than local cinema but its worth every penny.

We went yesterday afternoon, had ordered hot food and popcorn.

The popcorn and drinks were waiting for us in our seats and hot food brought down to us.

It's only a small cinema but very spacious between seats and only about 40% full yesterday(probably due to nice weather!)

Quiet Place 11 was brilliant and you wouldn't get the atmosphere watchinh it at home on your TV.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

appledrop wrote: »
    If any of you live in Dublin you should go to Stella cinema, the difference in the experience is unreal. You pay more than local cinema but its worth every penny.

We went yesterday afternoon, had ordered hot food and popcorn.

The popcorn and drinks were waiting for us in our seats and hot food brought down to us.

It's only a small cinema but very spacious between seats and only about 40% full yesterday(probably due to nice weather!)

Quiet Place 11 was brilliant and you wouldn't get the atmosphere watchinh it at home on your TV.

I always make a point of going to the Stella if I'm in Dublin and I have a few hours to kill. It's always a pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I always make a point of going to the Stella if I'm in Dublin and I have a few hours to kill. It's always a pleasure.

It's been on my visit list since I saw some article on it last year. It looks a memorable experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I was in the point last night and I was really impressed with the que management. They had a staff member stopping people at the bottom of the escalators so there wasn't too many people stood in the foyer.

The screen hadn't been cleaned between the last screening though.There was food left on my booked seats but once I raised it with a staff member they cleaned it straight away.

It was the conjuring 3 and they didn't fully turn off all the house lights but I didn't bother to get up and say it to a staff member by the time I copped it.

It's been on my visit list since I saw some article on it last year. It looks a memorable experience

It's amazing to me it's more like a visit to theatre so enjoyable. The art deco style is amazing and you get your soft drinks/ alcohol in actually glasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I went to the point Odeon for the first time (I'm Cineworld cardholder).

I found it a great experience from start to finish. It was an earlier screening so wasn't as packed as the evening ones, but no hitches.

Nice little cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Went to see A Quiet Place 2 last night in Dun Loaighre IMC.

IMC clearly didn't forsee how busy they were going to be. Large Q for the popcorn and drinks etc.

Was great to see so many people there in fairness as I went there before the last lockdown and there was only 4 / 5 people there.

I enjoyed the film, a bit short time wise but still a good one to catch in the cinema.

Ms

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I went to the point Odeon for the first time (I'm Cineworld cardholder).

I found it a great experience from start to finish. It was an earlier screening so wasn't as packed as the evening ones, but no hitches.

Nice little cinema.

Glad you liked it. I take it you were not in Screen 1 then.
    I would not call it a small cinema. There is cinemas in the centre of London at Leicester square that are smaller but there are lots of them at least there was in 2008 when I was last there. Could have changed now I suppose.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Had my first trip to the cinema since last summer. Great to be back. Went to see Land. I was the only person in the screen. Only saw or interacted with two people, both staff members, the whole time I was there.

Ms

Had my first trip to the cinema since last summer. Great to be back. Went to see Land. I was the only person in the screen. Only saw or interacted with two people, both staff members, the whole time I was there.

That sounds like heaven. That is the way you want it. Nothing like having a whole screen to yourself. How was the film?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That sounds like heaven. That is the way you want it. Nothing like having a whole screen to yourself. How was the film?

Have to say I really enjoyed the experience. I always love a quiet cinema. I went to an early afternoon showing because I thought it would be quiet..and it was :)

I enjoyed the movie. Some of the reviews I read gave it a 2/5. I thought some were a bit harsh. I would have given it 3/5. Not a bad outing for Robin Wright's first outing as director. The cinematography was great too. I used to live in the area where it was filmed and it really made me miss the place!

Went to see the Phil Lynott documentary last night in Omniplex and thought it was great, really enjoyed it, having not known much about Phil himself. It was another enjoyable visit to the cinema, everyone well spaced out. The biggest benefit to all of this though is you're guaranteed nobody will be putting their feet on the back of your seat......Now I dont know if I ever want to return to the way it was before:D

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Glad you liked it. I take it you were not in Screen 1 then.
    I would not call it a small cinema. There is cinemas in the centre of London at Leicester square that are smaller but there are lots of them at least there was in 2008 when I was last there. Could have changed now I suppose.

I reckon the Odeon at The Point (screen 1 anyway) is the best cinema that Dublin city centre has to offer. Probably the best sound system too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement