Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I only realised today that we won't be getting Ken's travelogue for the Euros. Damn you Covid!

Ah for jaysis sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

"A key part". Go way outta that ya spoofer.

No response beyond this, Brock?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 delldelivery

This whole charade is a farce.

Journalists (and the wider media) love the division it creats, as it generates more articles and drives clicks.

On the other hand it will only further alienate genuine football fans who don't want anything to do with the circus.

I'm cancelling this sub and will probably avoid most football coverage from now on. With everything opening up theres no need for this particular distraction.

Life's too short for listening to people debating the merits of kneeling versus booing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I only realised today that we won't be getting Ken's travelogue for the Euros. Damn you Covid!

You've literally ruined my day! Bollocks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Life's too short for listening to people debating the merits of kneeling versus booing.

Kneeling versus booing versus pointing at the respect badge versus not kneeling but standing because of the Wilifred Zaha reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

duffman13 wrote: »
    You've literally ruined my day! Bollocks :(

Curb your un(k)enthusiasm!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I like David Sneyd

BUH

I wish he didn't say "but" like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

D.Q wrote: »
    I like David Sneyd

BUH

He's in the Miguel category for me.

I do enjoy Gavin Cooney contributions though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Im personally looking forward to the England team imploding because of the knee vs booo situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

D.Q wrote: »
    I like David Sneyd

BUH

The young fella makes me so angry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,007 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just listening to todays and had to pause it from laughing about Ken throwing in;
    "And then you've got the Czech's who've got Premier League sensation Soucek", and just kept rolling on without even a hint of it being tongue in cheek :pac:

<edit> and; "haha, I've been English the whooole time!"

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

And Jonathan Wilson coming to a fork in the road & taking us on a whistle-stop tour of Ukrainian history before returning to the main (football) road. Where would you get it?! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Acosta

I assume there's daily euro pods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Acosta wrote: »
    I assume there's daily euro pods?

Doubt it. They didn't for the world cup

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I love how the Dutch darts presenter on the audiobed isn't fazed by the swearing by that cockney darts player, a Sky presenter would have had an aneurysm in the same situation.

An extra bit of Ken talking about taking the knee.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/in-the-news-will-taking-the-knee-come-between-teams-and-their-fans-at-the-euros-1.4590475

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

JuanJose wrote: »
    And Jonathan Wilson coming to a fork in the road & taking us on a whistle-stop tour of Ukrainian history before returning to the main (football) road. Where would you get it?! ðŸ˜

Jonathan Wilson is the best contributer on SC. He's always good on GFW too. Could listen to him talk shíte all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cienciano wrote: »
    Jonathan Wilson is the best contributer on SC. He's always good on GFW too. Could listen to him talk shíte all day

Same with Sid Lowe and Tim Vickery

dulpit wrote: »
    Same with Sid Lowe and Tim Vickery

Agreed. Vickery’s piece on the Copa America shambles last week was just top class. Such a good journalist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Too many stories for them to miss out on by not doing weekend pods during the tournament. Fridays and Saturdays action will be long in the memory by the time they get round to it.

Totally football fill that void at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, loving the Totally Football pods. Very good

Just to echo the Jonathan Wilson love earlier.. The dynamic between him and Ken is really enjoyable.. Ken always gently winding him up and him always taking it in the spirit it's given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Agreed. Vickery’s piece on the Copa America shambles last week was just top class. Such a good journalist

That really was an excellent segment. He boiled it down so well, explained the context and kept it interesting.

I appreciate that Sid Lowe knows his stuff, but I find it quite hard to get too excited about what he's talking about most of the time. I think it's the subject matter rather than him, but I'd struggle to remember the details of his segments after they are finished. Football Politics, Real Madrid, something, Marca, Barca, Barca Politics, some club president, something, something...

Marcela, the journalist whose surname I can't remember, who they have on to talk about Argentina every once in a blue moon is so, so, good as well. She's knowledgeable, but actually kind of poetic and profound, in a genuine way - not just pseudish rubbish. The anti Graham Hunter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Dante

Arghus wrote: »
    Marcela, the journalist whose surname I can't remember, who they have on to talk about Argentina every once in a blue moon is so, so, good as well. She's knowledgeable, but actually kind of poetic and profound, in a genuine way - not just pseudish rubbish.
    She was great on Guardian Football Weekly during the 2018 World Cup.

That really was an excellent segment. He boiled it down so well, explained the context and kept it interesting.

I appreciate that Sid Lowe knows his stuff, but I find it quite hard to get too excited about what he's talking about most of the time. I think it's the subject matter rather than him, but I'd struggle to remember the details of his segments after they are finished. Football Politics, Real Madrid, something, Marca, Barca, Barca Politics, some club president, something, something...

Marcela, the journalist whose surname I can't remember, who they have on to talk about Argentina every once in a blue moon is so, so, good as well. She's knowledgeable, but actually kind of poetic and profound, in a genuine way - not just pseudish rubbish. The anti Graham Hunter.

Totally agree on Sid Lowe.

I like Wilson way more on SC than Football Weekly. Because of the dynamic with Ken for sure.

And I'm on board with anything that's anti Graham Hunter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I was disappointed with Spanish journalists that they got to the bottom of barcagate. It never truly broke what barca asked that PR company to do. I fancy the uk media wouldn’t have let it lie. It was an incredible story.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Too many stories for them to miss out on by not doing weekend pods during the tournament. Fridays and Saturdays action will be long in the memory by the time they get round to it.

Totally football fill that void at least.

For one tournament they did weekend podcasts I think… was a good while ago though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I have almost no interest in South American football but I'd listen to Tim Vickery all day. He's actually doing commentary on Premier Sports for the South American World Cup qualifiers, ended up watching a chunk of Argentina v Colombia cause he was commentating

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Totally agree on Sid Lowe.

I like Wilson way more on SC than Football Weekly. Because of the dynamic with Ken for sure.

And I'm on board with anything that's anti Graham Hunter.

I guess I just find the dynamics of the Spanish football soap opera kind of boring from a distance.

To my ears, the talk is either about who of Real or Barca is in the ascendancy, until some club president eventually makes a pigs ear of it and then the other one gets on top for a while, until some other club president makes a pigs ear of it at the other club and then the previous one of the two clubs gets back into the driving seat again. And round and round it goes.

Athletico play a part from time to time, but their main role in the soap opera seems to be to make some other people at the other two look bad from time to time: they aren't inherently interesting in and of themselves.

Essentially it's all about who is top dog at the moment: Real or Barca. And it never really fundamentally changes, even if some of the names involved do. Which is why, no matter what Sid Lowe - or any Spanish football correspondent for that matter - is saying at any given moment it always sounds the same, even if it's different.

Ha, just listened to today's Guardian pod.

Wilson talking about fighting his corner in mates' whatsapp groups.

Max Rushden: Who was in that group?

Wilson: ehh..Ken Early from Second Captains.

:D:D

Has anyone else’s iPhone stoped getting new podcasts since the OS update ?

• Advertisement

Now, I hate to criticise the lads ever, but no pods at all by lunchtime on day 4 of the tournament is a bit crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Now, I hate to criticise the lads ever, but no pods at all by lunchtime on day 4 of the tournament is a bit crap.

Agreed. Far too slow to react to that weekend off football.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I guess I just find the dynamics of the Spanish football soap opera kind of boring from a distance.

To my ears, the talk is either about who of Real or Barca is in the ascendancy, until some club president eventually makes a pigs ear of it and then the other one gets on top for a while, until some other club president makes a pigs ear of it at the other club and then the previous one of the two clubs gets back into the driving seat again. And round and round it goes.

Athletico play a part from time to time, but their main role in the soap opera seems to be to make some other people at the other two look bad from time to time: they aren't inherently interesting in and of themselves.

Essentially it's all about who is top dog at the moment: Real or Barca. And it never really fundamentally changes, even if some of the names involved do. Which is why, no matter what Sid Lowe - or any Spanish football correspondent for that matter - is saying at any given moment it always sounds the same, even if it's different.

Sid has a podcast with Phil Kitromilides called The Spanish Football Podcast. It goes much more indepth into Spanish football.

Let's face it, the average Football Weekly listeners probably doesn't want to hear about Getafe vs Leganes at the weekend. I'd imagine Sid's remit on Football Weekly is limited to the top three and sometimes Sevilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

During Euro 2016 and WC 2018, I understood why they held off doing the daily pod thing like other sports podcasts with Ken travelling between games and cities, it was probably a headache to sort.

That's not a problem this time and they've been able to pull together the 20 minute mini-pods every Monday, which would at least cover some of the talking points of the day's action during the tournament.

So much has happened since Friday's pod that they'll skim over or have to dismiss talking points. Even the biggest talking point of the weekend (arguably the tournament), being the medical emergency involving Christian Eriksen and the heroic actions of all involved to save his life and protect him as he received CPR, seems like it has been heavily covered and discussed now.

Do not update your iPhone—- new podcast app is terrible /kills your phones battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

New Pod out now.

• Advertisement

With Ken not in transit there's no excuse to get something out early. They like their weekends off clearly, but they should really have one out at least an hour before the first match.

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Even the biggest talking point of the weekend (arguably the tournament), being the medical emergency involving Christian Eriksen and the heroic actions of all involved to save his life and protect him as he received CPR, seems like it has been heavily covered and discussed now.

The guardian football weekly covered it really well.

But Second Captains has never really been about breaking news coverage really, so I don't see there being an issue. There are other sources for the up to the minute news/stories/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

dulpit wrote: »
    But Second Captains has never really been about breaking news coverage really, so I don't see there being an issue. There are other sources for the up to the minute news/stories/etc.

I'd prefer them to give some stories a bit of time for reflection rather than being some sort of bulletin service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Disagree with the 2 above posts.
    When your competitors (Totally football show, Football weekly, football ramble, bbc football daily) are putting out daily shows you really should be also , bear in mind all of those are free

Certain stuff has been talked about to death already by the time today's podcast came out.

If you're not first your last, some wise man said before.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    When your competitors (Totally football show, Football weekly, football ramble, bbc football daily) are putting out daily shows you really should be also , bear in mind all of those are free

Certain stuff has been talked to about to death already by the time today's podcast came out.

But I think they are fundamentally different offerings, so not direct competitors.

dulpit wrote:

No one's relying on a podcast for up to the minute news.

You're quite right when you say there are other sources for these types of tournaments, as another poster pointed out Football Weekly covered the events on Saturday well. Most here would likely agree though that the SC lads, particularly Ken, are best when an event has happened within a reasonable time frame - I think one of the most listened to pods was Ken's reaction to the England Iceland match the day after the game in the 2016 tournament. Had that game been on a Friday night, his reaction on Monday morning would have been far more tame and not nearly as memorable.

The point is that international tournaments, particularly the group stages, move so quickly that between the time the SC podcast on Friday and the next one on Monday a lot can happen. They build the tournament and their coverage of it up nearly as much as the likes of Football Weekly, but then fail to make the same effort to cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,788 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Certain stuff has been talked to about to death already by the time today's podcast came out.

It's really not about the subject matter with the SC. It's about the presentation and the delivery.
    If you want on the minute content you go else where. If you want a decent angle on it with a smathering of humour and some good interviewing you go with SC
    You can get 'sports breaking news' in tonnes of media outlets these days. You'd be a fool to JUST focus on that angle as a podcast.

kippy wrote:
    It's really not about the subject matter with the SC. It's about the presentation and the delivery. If you want on the minute content you go else where. If you want a decent angle on it with a smathering of humour and some good interviewing you go with SC You can get 'sports breaking news' in tonnes of media outlets these days. You'd be a fool to JUST focus on that angle as a podcast.

What about the Super League? They reacted to that almost on the day as the news was breaking, just as every other football podcast did.

Similar type pods to huge football tournaments that come around every 2 years, like the Euros or WC, could be put out with the same presentation and delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,788 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Pete Moss wrote: »
    What about the Super League? They reacted to that almost on the day as the news was breaking, just as every other football podcast did.

Similar type pods to huge football tournaments that come around every 2 years, like the Euros or WC, could be put out with the same presentation and delivery.

The Super announcement league was probably the most seismic moment in the history of the game, and the lads were probably available at short notice.
    And in fairness, they have done "reaction" type shows the odd time - I'd say dependent on whether the lads were available at short notice or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭atilladehun

They did one Sunday night recording a while back and I thought it was poor. Ken hadn't got his head around the weekend yet.

They should however aim to have a pod out by midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

How many podcasts is the average listener listening to
    Second captains is pretty much the only one I listen to on any regular basis, 99.9% of podcasts are trash, happy they take their time

TXPTGR1 wrote: »
    How many podcasts is the average listener listening to
    Second captains is pretty much the only one I listen to on any regular basis, 99.9% of podcasts are trash, happy they take their time

The nightly totally football ones are pretty good, I haven't listened to the Football Weekly since James Richardson left, but I presume they're grand too.

There's a fair few decent football podcasts out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

Ken used to be in his element during midweek rounds of Premier League fixtures live on OTB back in the day.

“I have the ‘consh’”

The “consh”, Ken? Really?

I tell you what, to say something like that, he’s gone way down in my estimation

• Advertisement
Advertisement