Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I also see Philipsen and Nizzolo are on the list too, very much a who's who apart from Demare!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I also see Philipsen and Nizzolo are on the list too, very much a who's who apart from Demare!

Morkov there too. It’s effectively every decent sprinter bar Demare. Should be fun to watch some of these sprints

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Nice little interview: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/06/i-know-im-30-but-i-feel-27-a-qa-with-sam-bennett/
    CT: You’ve got so many big stars in the team and some of them will have different goals. Are you expecting the Tour team to be built around your sprint goals or to have more mixed objectives?

SB: It’s going to be quite mixed but now, like you said, people are kind of surfing more. So yeah, I do have a train and I have quite good guys in front of me but most of the time, in the final, we’re going to be moving with just three guys. We are surfing quite a bit. It’s kind of a mixture of surfing and a train, if that makes sense. Because you can’t come from the front and lead it out from 2 k. That’s just too long nowadays. So yeah, I’ll get all the support I need to be in the run for a victory.

Knee injury for Sam. He’ll miss the Tour of Belgium to rest up for the Tour de France

https://www.deceuninck-quickstep.com/en/news/4979/sam-bennett-update

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Can't help but feel he'll be undercooked for the tour.... 5 days racing in the last two months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Dodge wrote: »
    Knee injury for Sam. He’ll miss the Tour of Belgium to rest up for the Tour de France

https://www.deceuninck-quickstep.com/en/news/4979/sam-bennett-update

Maybe Cav will be selected ahead of him. I wouldn’t put anything past Lefevere.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

griffin100 wrote: »
    Maybe Cav will be selected ahead of him. I wouldn’t put anything past Lefevere.

Yeah, going to say if Cav even shows some form here, I can see them shafting Bennett completely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The more cynical part of me thinks it is an attempt to throw competitors off Sam, they were starting to ignore all other race markers at the tail end with everyone trying to tag on or disrupt their sprint. I know it sounds like a fan boy thing but I will say it again, pound for pound, the best sprinter in the world for miles. Great for him to have the team to make it easier for him but in a drag race, I can't see anyone even coming close. The cameras from the front always make it look like a close knit victory but once you see the overhead cams in recent races of Sams, no one had a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Ewan is every bit as good, usually with less help as well. I don't mean that to sound like knocking Sam because he's got himself to the very top but I think the next 5-10 years will be Ewan's.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ewan is every bit as good, usually with less help as well. I don't mean that to sound like knocking Sam because he's got himself to the very top but I think the next 5-10 years will be Ewan's.

There are times where tactically Ewan has been better, and again fan boy coming out, I think that has been the fault of Bora for knocking Sam for so long but in a drag race, Sam is dropping Ewan every time. DQT has sorted that out, and the few times Ewan has been up there it hasn't been much more than luck either for him or against Sam that had him competitive with Sam and regrettably for Sam, now that everyone is marking him, it may make Ewan look better but I actually don't believe it at the minute.

• Advertisement

I think some of you are insane if you think DQT won’t pick Bennett for the Tour if he’s fit.

I think some of you are insane if you think DQT won’t pick Bennett for the Tour if he’s fit.

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that, although there is precedence for teams ommiting big riders who've announced their intention to leave since any world tour points they've amassed get transferred to their new team the following season.... Plus they'd still have Alaphillipe, who's by far their biggest cash cow for the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Teams have a habit of saying one thing and doing another. Dropping riders from races and GTs because they are moving on. And while Lefevere is all business he will not hesitate to shaft someone.

As for the comments about Ewan being a better sprinter, and having less workers, well he's had Kluge as his lead out man for the last longest while and you'd have to say they aren't as successful as a Morkov Pairing. You've also got to factor in Ewan never ever hits out from the front and always prefers to come at speed off other riders. He also has a habit of throwing the head if he's not there or there abouts. So his wins look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They tend to drop them from the Vuelta, rather than the Tour, when they're moving on (if they're moving on). DQS would be nuts not to bring they're best percentage chance of a stage win. I'm with Dodge on this one, I really can't see it.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They tend to drop them from the Vuelta, rather than the Tour, when they're moving on (if they're moving on). DQS would be nuts not to bring they're best percentage chance of a stage win. I'm with Dodge on this one, I really can't see it.

Exactly. It’s the races after August that teams get snippy about.

The Tour is a whole different ball game

Macy0161 wrote: »

I think we all agree It's never going to happen... But it's also not beyond the realm of possibility that a volatile character like Lefevere could pull a move that may seem outlandish to everyone else.

Like he's already opted against having a top sprinter for next season and personally I think their Giro was total basket case stuff. I'd never claim to be 100% certain of what's going through that guys head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think there Giro looks much worse in hindsight to be honest. Almeida was definitely joint leader (probably main leader) losing that time while Remco minimized losses, I'd say most teams would've made Almeida wait on the gravel stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrMojoRisin'

If Cavendish + Morkov completely destroy Ewan, Merlier, Groneweggen etc in every sprint stage at this tour of Belgium though, surely its a much more difficult choice for Lefevere to leave Cavendish out of the tour.

If Cavendish + Morkov completely destroy Ewan, Merlier, Groneweggen etc in every sprint stage at this tour of Belgium though, surely its a much more difficult choice for Lefevere to leave Cavendish out of the tour.

That's a big if though... I'd be stunned if Cavendish started challenging Ewan.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrMojoRisin'

It is! I'm looking forward to watching it one way or the other, even without Bennett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First things first Cav needs to be on Morkovs wheel in the final, Morkov spent 100 yards looking for Cav the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

And the opposite also applies, if Cav f's up the lead out at any point, it is going to go against him.
    I think the lack of prep. races for Sam in the leadup to the Tour is a bigger issue TBH

Cavendish is not on the same level as the top 3 or 4 sprinters in the world. Cannot see him pulling off a stage win over the next few days. Though he will be close enough. Sam is going to the Tour. Main thing is he recovers and is in top shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dahat wrote: »
    First things first Cav needs to be on Morkovs wheel in the final, Morkov spent 100 yards looking for Cav the other day.

Exact same thing happened again. Best wheel in racing & he can’t follow it through when required.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ffs people. What about no same day spoilers don't ye get. Bennets not even in the race and you're spoilng it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,582 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It doesn't just mean no Sam related same day spoilers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ffs people. What about no same day spoilers don't ye get. Bennets not even in the race and you're spoilng it.

Mea culpa here. I thought it was the other race day thread!

Sorry folks

Lefevre has his doubts that Sam will be ready for the Tour

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/06/sam-bennett-unsure-about-the-tour-de-france-will-cavendish-replace-him/

Usual Lefevre caveats on anything he says…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

He was on IG on Sunday riding his bike anyways ...

Advertisement