Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best 10k workouts - by Greg Mcmillan

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Sandwell wrote: »
    So did anyone else end up doing this? I'm checking back in to report that I completed the first session of the plan this evening. It was tough but I got through it without struggling to complete it so I'm happy with that.

I'm aiming for a sub 37 10k. My PB, from a good few years back now, is 37:10 and I feel that I'm not far off that shape at the moment. I ran 17:58 for 5k a couple of weeks ago and felt that I probably paced it a bit too conservatively on the day. So I reckon sub 37 is doable, just about.

Splits tonight were:

6:04
    6:08
    5:57
    6:03
    5:59
    6:00

While I'm not quite there yet in terms of my target pace I'm pleased to have gotten through the first big session pretty comfortably and without falling off a cliff in the later intervals. We'll see how things pan out over the next few weeks.

I'm running 40-50 miles per week and I'll be doing a long tempo and a speed session in the intervening weeks so I'd be hopeful enough that I can break the 37 if I stick to the plan. Hopefully I'll be able to find a race somewhere in mid-July, even if it means travelling a bit.

Is anyone else currently following this plan? I'd be interested to hear how it's going...

Super start!
    I'm currently only doing 30 miles a week but am slowly increasing.
    I did 4x1 mile, 6'55 to 7'00 pace. Just felt I wasn't strong enough to dive straight into 6x1 mile.
    I'm doing tinman-esque CV reps as well, tough but enjoyable.
    Mixing it up a little and hopefully by the end I'll go sub 42.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Mar Azul wrote: »
    I'm doing tinman-esque CV reps as well, tough but enjoyable.

That's a new one for me. Just reading up on it now. It appears that my target 10km time is equivalent to my suggested CV pace. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Sandwell wrote: »
    That's a new one for me. Just reading up on it now. It appears that my target 10km time is equivalent to my suggested CV pace. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work?

I use 5M race pace for my CV and right now I'm at 15 minutes worth of work at that effort.

https://www.fastrunning.com/training/performance/critical-velocity-training/29956

Good info here with regards to what's happening under the bonnet.
    I also like the idea of improving my cruising speed which is quite poor.
    With my lower mileage, I'm using this to bridge the gap with the longer McMillan sessions.
    I'm also finding I'm not as beat up after.

Advertisement