Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

The Best 10k workouts - by Greg Mcmillan

1111213141517»

Comments



  • Last week out from a 10k race for me, did 5 x 1 mile @10k pace last weekw 2 min recovery, any one have a good session for this week?

    How are you feeling?
    If you feel flat you should focus on fast strides and some plyo work (if you are already doing that).
    If you feel ready to roll a shorter workout at race pace, maybe 3 x 1M or 4/5 x 1k.




  • BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    How are you feeling?
    If you feel flat you should focus on fast strides and some plyo work (if you are already doing that).
    If you feel ready to roll a shorter workout at race pace, maybe 3 x 1M or 4/5 x 1k.

    Feeling good, its not my main race just a prep race. Will do 4/5 x 1k.

    Thanks




  • 10 years since this thread was started. Surely worth a boards collective go of it again?




  • Mar Azul wrote: »
    10 years since this thread was started. Surely worth a boards collective go of it again?

    Always hated that plan :)




  • Mar Azul wrote: »
    10 years since this thread was started. Surely worth a boards collective go of it again?

    I gave it a lash a couple of times. I found that a 10k race, then another one a week or so later was the way to go. Truth be told the second one was flatter.

    The 3x2 miles though. That was a killer.


  • Advertisement


  • Just after finishing this plan, 3rd time using it and 2 out of 3 pbs. The 3x2 mile really is a killer and always fills me with dread!

    This time around got almost 40sec pb, mostly down to the new shoes (Endorphin Pros) but the plan got me back down to where I was in pb shape after a year of losing my speed completely




  • I'm going to give it a bash. I'll start with 4x1 mile and make it 10 weeks long.
    I was reading the 10k by debate thread last night and see that TRR does the 3x2mile 3 times, so might add 2 weeks of that.

    Excited to have a bit of focus




  • I used the workouts over the months of January and February to get a bit of legspeed going again, working towards a TT just to have a bit of a goal. Was very happy with the plan itself and the outcome. The first couple of weeks were tough going alright, but I'd definitely give it a go again if I was training specifically for a 10k.

    And yes, definitely agree with not launching straight into a 6 X 1 mile off the bat.




  • Is there a full plan here or just the list of key workouts in the original post?




  • Murph_D wrote: »
    Is there a full plan here or just the list of key workouts in the original post?

    List of key workouts and fill in the blanks.
    The thread is a good read and very helpful for filling in the blanks.


  • Advertisement


  • Was thinking about doing a km version . I have ran 5*1k @ tenk pace a few times in the last few months and was going to start first work out at 4*1k, 2*2k. I have incorporated the 400s and 200s from McMillan website into the plan as well.

    I was supposed to start last week but got distracted by the 5k distance and trying to best pb in next few weeks .




  • I might have a go at this too. I've been following a Pfitzinger 'multiple distances' plan for the last couple of months, chosen deliberately to hit a good variety of sessions, but I fancy something more specialized to keep me occupied into the summer. I quite like the idea of filling in the blanks too. Must have a proper read of this thread.




  • Bluesquare wrote: »
    Was thinking about doing a km version . I have ran 5*1k @ tenk pace a few times in the last few months and was going to start first work out at 4*1k, 2*2k. I have incorporated the 400s and 200s from McMillan website into the plan as well.

    I was supposed to start last week but got distracted by the 5k distance and trying to best pb in next few weeks .

    Cracking idea and you could look at it a couple of ways.
    What McMillan suggests, I think you'd want to be doing at least 65k a week.
    What you suggest could work really well for those on less mileage and it could also work well for a 5k plan, 3x2k at 5k pace, ouch :D




  • Bluesquare wrote: »
    Was thinking about doing a km version . I have ran 5*1k @ tenk pace a few times in the last few months and was going to start first work out at 4*1k, 2*2k. I have incorporated the 400s and 200s from McMillan website into the plan as well.

    I was supposed to start last week but got distracted by the 5k distance and trying to best pb in next few weeks .
    I used a km version in prep for a 6k race before and it worked a treat




  • Bluesquare wrote: »
    Was thinking about doing a km version . I have ran 5*1k @ tenk pace a few times in the last few months and was going to start first work out at 4*1k, 2*2k. I have incorporated the 400s and 200s from McMillan website into the plan as well.

    I was supposed to start last week but got distracted by the 5k distance and trying to best pb in next few weeks .

    The plan has a 5k time trial built into it halfway through as well so it would be a good opportunity to combine both but would push your 5k attempt out in the future a bit.




  • Bluesquare wrote: »
    Was thinking about doing a km version . I have ran 5*1k @ tenk pace a few times in the last few months and was going to start first work out at 4*1k, 2*2k. I have incorporated the 400s and 200s from McMillan website into the plan as well.

    I was supposed to start last week but got distracted by the 5k distance and trying to best pb in next few weeks .

    A km version might well give you some decent workouts, but it’s such a divergence from McMillan’s plan, there’s no way they’d be the best 10k workouts you could do.

    A large part of a 10k race is building the endurance to keep running fast. I don’t see how you’d build that endurance with a stripped down version of this plan.
    If you can perform three 2-mile repeats at your goal 10K pace in the last one to two weeks before your race, you will achieve your goal time. Period.
    There’s a hell of a difference between three 2-km repeats and three 2-mile repeats. What I’ve quoted is the key workout for the penultimate week of the plan, but three other key workouts also ask you to run a combined 6miles at race race. Doing a km version, would leave you 3.66km short of the ideal workload every week. And I can’t see how you’d be adequately prepared to run a full 10k at race pace.

    Just my 2c




  • If you do a km plan, are not just training for a 6km race then? (i.e. the plan is based on a 6 mile distance)

    Great idea if you want to tweak your 5km fitness, but as Zico10 says, you'd be short on legs for a 10k?

    It's funny timing for me that this thread should pop up, I did this when my first was about 6 months old. Now trying to figure out what to do while my 2nd is a newborn this summer! fate?




  • Bluesquare wrote: »
    Was thinking about doing a km version . I have ran 5*1k @ tenk pace a few times in the last few months and was going to start first work out at 4*1k, 2*2k. I have incorporated the 400s and 200s from McMillan website into the plan as well.

    I was supposed to start last week but got distracted by the 5k distance and trying to best pb in next few weeks .

    I think it would be ok to that, but you should be cranking the pace to 5k pace, rather than 10k pace.




  • Hey

    It appears my communication skills are somewhat lacking . I meant I have changed it in km so 2*3 miles becomes 3*3k and 6*1m is 4*1k and 2*2k.

    I run with some contrary people who refuse to deal in miles and don’t like that .6 in kms .

    I’ve used the 400s and 200s suggested by mc Millan in the in between weeks . Also I have an issue with brain endurance - as in I have done the plan before and can do the last workout n/p but when it comes to doing without the jog break I just fold. So I have added a few continuous LT paces tempos .




  • So did anyone else end up doing this? I'm checking back in to report that I completed the first session of the plan this evening. It was tough but I got through it without struggling to complete it so I'm happy with that.

    I'm aiming for a sub 37 10k. My PB, from a good few years back now, is 37:10 and I feel that I'm not far off that shape at the moment. I ran 17:58 for 5k a couple of weeks ago and felt that I probably paced it a bit too conservatively on the day. So I reckon sub 37 is doable, just about.

    Splits tonight were:

    6:04
    6:08
    5:57
    6:03
    5:59
    6:00

    While I'm not quite there yet in terms of my target pace I'm pleased to have gotten through the first big session pretty comfortably and without falling off a cliff in the later intervals. We'll see how things pan out over the next few weeks.

    I'm running 40-50 miles per week and I'll be doing a long tempo and a speed session in the intervening weeks so I'd be hopeful enough that I can break the 37 if I stick to the plan. Hopefully I'll be able to find a race somewhere in mid-July, even if it means travelling a bit.

    Is anyone else currently following this plan? I'd be interested to hear how it's going...


  • Advertisement


  • Sandwell wrote: »
    So did anyone else end up doing this? I'm checking back in to report that I completed the first session of the plan this evening. It was tough but I got through it without struggling to complete it so I'm happy with that.

    I'm aiming for a sub 37 10k. My PB, from a good few years back now, is 37:10 and I feel that I'm not far off that shape at the moment. I ran 17:58 for 5k a couple of weeks ago and felt that I probably paced it a bit too conservatively on the day. So I reckon sub 37 is doable, just about.

    Splits tonight were:

    6:04
    6:08
    5:57
    6:03
    5:59
    6:00

    While I'm not quite there yet in terms of my target pace I'm pleased to have gotten through the first big session pretty comfortably and without falling off a cliff in the later intervals. We'll see how things pan out over the next few weeks.

    I'm running 40-50 miles per week and I'll be doing a long tempo and a speed session in the intervening weeks so I'd be hopeful enough that I can break the 37 if I stick to the plan. Hopefully I'll be able to find a race somewhere in mid-July, even if it means travelling a bit.

    Is anyone else currently following this plan? I'd be interested to hear how it's going...

    Super start!
    I'm currently only doing 30 miles a week but am slowly increasing.
    I did 4x1 mile, 6'55 to 7'00 pace. Just felt I wasn't strong enough to dive straight into 6x1 mile.
    I'm doing tinman-esque CV reps as well, tough but enjoyable.
    Mixing it up a little and hopefully by the end I'll go sub 42.




  • Mar Azul wrote: »
    I'm doing tinman-esque CV reps as well, tough but enjoyable.


    That's a new one for me. Just reading up on it now. It appears that my target 10km time is equivalent to my suggested CV pace. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work?




  • Sandwell wrote: »
    That's a new one for me. Just reading up on it now. It appears that my target 10km time is equivalent to my suggested CV pace. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work?

    I use 5M race pace for my CV and right now I'm at 15 minutes worth of work at that effort.

    https://www.fastrunning.com/training/performance/critical-velocity-training/29956

    Good info here with regards to what's happening under the bonnet.
    I also like the idea of improving my cruising speed which is quite poor.
    With my lower mileage, I'm using this to bridge the gap with the longer McMillan sessions.
    I'm also finding I'm not as beat up after.


Advertisement