Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of Decay 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What's wrong with the game, heard quite good stuff about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

That's like saying that Demon Souls isn't a Sony game.

For all intents and purposes State of Decay 2 is a MS game, do you think that they were not involved in funding development and hands off till the game was delivered to them?

Absolutely and that is evident. Microsoft are just the publisher. Forza, Gears, Sea of Thieves, etc, they are all Microsoft games.

By your logic "Rise of the Tomb Raider" is a Microsoft game. Call a spade a spade would be my recommendation.

That doesn't make them any less culpable for releasing this garbage.

They should have been holding Undead, and Rare for that matter, to higher standards. Both Decay and Thieves are smoking craters in the ground.

The game is a long way off being considered garbage. Its not No mans sky.

The difference is Microsoft own Rare, they do not own Undead labs. They are the publisher for an indie title and its clear they had very little input. I actually think the game will find its way on PS4 in less than a year.

I've put in a little over 60 hours. I have come across a good few bugs but nothing game breaking. An update was released addressing the majority of bugs. I have yet to test it.

By your logic "Rise of the Tomb Raider" is a Microsoft game. Call a spade a spade would be my recommendation.

If it was Xbox and PC exclusive and published by MS then it would be an MS game, you know like State of Decay 2. It's like saying Bulletstorm wasn't an EA game because they only published it.
    The game is a long way off being considered garbage. Its not No mans sky.

It certainly isn't, No Mans Sky was vastly superior upon launch and has gone from strength to strength. I imagine if No Man's Sky had been a One exclusive you'd be telling is all how amazing it was.

Actually weren't you telling everyone that Sea of Thieves was going to be the next PUBG or Fortnite given that steamers were so taken by the beta. What happened with that?

If it was Xbox and PC exclusive and published by MS then it would be an MS game, you know like State of Decay 2. It's like saying Bulletstorm wasn't an EA game because they only published it.

Battlefield is an EA game. You are trying too hard to blend first party games and games published by the same company to support your weak argument.
    It certainly isn't, No Mans Sky was vastly superior upon launch and has gone from strength to strength. I imagine if No Man's Sky had been a One exclusive you'd be telling is all how amazing it was.

Please tell me you are joking. It was an indie title with an eye-watering AAA price tag with a fraction of content promised and the studio had engaged in misleading gamers. By your logic then Sony/PlayStation are massively responsible for one of the most deceitful games in the last 10 years.
    Actually weren't you telling everyone that Sea of Thieves was going to be the next PUBG or Fortnite given that steamers were so taken by the beta. What happened with that?
    Nope. I am sure you can back that comment up.

• Advertisement

Battlefield is an EA game. You are trying too hard to blend first party games and games published by the same company to support your weak argument.

Oh look another example of you deliberately misreading a post and making things up. Where did I say Battlefield, not once did I mention it but nice way to try and prove your point by ignoring the facts presented.
    Please tell me you are joking. It was an indie title with an eye-watering AAA price tag with a fraction of content promised and the studio had engaged in misleading gamers. By your logic then Sony/PlayStation are massively responsible for one of the most deceitful games in the last 10 years.

Deceitful, ffs. Here we go, if MS put out No Man's Sky you'd be telling us what an amazing title it was. Those that played the game and went in not expecting things that no one said would be there enjoyed it.
    Nope. I am sure you can back that comment up.

I'm not searching through your posts but you were in here telling us how big it was going to be earlier this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Darko and FAILSAFE, take the bickering to PM please.

Mod note: Darko and FAILSAFE, take the bickering to PM please.

I'm not bickering or arguing, just trying to have a discussion.

What's wrong with the game, heard quite good stuff about it?

A lot of small bugs at launch that have been addressed with an update. I have a little over 60 hours and I am on my 2nd play through.

Co-op is a disaster. I've had to leave it be and just enjoy single player although I am curious to see if the patch has made co-op more playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Did you play the original, FAILSAFE? If so, how does it compare?

• Advertisement

Yes.

Its the first game only better and much bigger.

Co-op was what everyone wanted in the sequel so hopefully they get that up to par.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Cheers. I'll definitely pick it up over the holidays so.

I played a good 3hr co-op game with a guy in the U.S last night.

This is post patch. Finally the co-op is working well.

Each time you play co-op you earn rewards. These get better as you rank up your rewards level. Has soon as you come back to your own community rewards are displayed on screen.

That's a really good update in general.

It's pretty much the first game only with more bugs than before. It's not a bad game just a very average one and as a console exclusive it's lack struck and will be unlikely to shift a single console. Better than Sea of Thieves but a long ways from being a great game and MS really need to shake it up in regards exclusives as at this stage my Xbox is for watching 4K Blu-Rays and not much else, shame as the X is a real nice piece of kit.

It's pretty much the first game only with more bugs than before. It's not a bad game just a very average one and as a console exclusive it's lack struck and will be unlikely to shift a single console. Better than Sea of Thieves but a long ways from being a great game and MS really need to shake it up in regards exclusives as at this stage my Xbox is for watching 4K Blu-Rays and not much else, shame as the X is a real nice piece of kit.
    The community collectively agree its a much better game than the original.

I take you didn't play the original first game. You must have played the year one survival edition? Bugs were much worse in the first game.

The question is what other open world zombie survivor game comes close on consoles.... None.

IMO It's a great job from an honest indie studio unlike Hello games.

I take you didn't play the original first game. You must have played the year one survival edition? Bugs were much worse in the first game.

Played the first game before it came out and then each subsequent release and bugs were a huge issue. Bugs in 2 are far worse and game breaking in many instances

You do know that you don't need to take criticism of Xbox and it's games personally. MS don't need a champion on boards.

Played the first game before it came out and then each subsequent release and bugs were a huge issue. Bugs in 2 are far worse and game breaking in many instances

You do know that you don't need to take criticism of Xbox and it's games personally. MS don't need a champion on boards.

Is your opinion of State of Decay 2 based on your comprehensive 58 entire minutes of gameplay ;)

Interesting. A whole 77 zombies killed with 0 recruits.

I have 75 hours and 48 minutes played. I think I am in a far better position to compare games.

I'll give you an out here. Just claim the game is so broken you couldn't play it. People will buy that :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Darko and FAILSAFE, this is not the first time the pair of you have gotten into a bickering match and derailed a thread. Have unfortunately had to issue warning as you were asked to take it to PM - any more of this here or any other thread and we'll unfortunately have to issue infractions or bans. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Murseyless

Having followed this discussion with interest because I've been toying with the idea of buying the game I was disappointed to see that someone who professes such disappointment with the game has barely played it.

Perhaps I'm irrational or old fashioned but I see time played as "credentials" which boost a person's opinion on a particular game.

With that in mind, having seen FAILSAFE pump quite a number of days into the game and his opinion after a recent patch, thank you for encouraging me to pick this up.

Murseyless wrote:
    Perhaps I'm irrational or old fashioned but I see time played as "credentials" which boost a person's opinion on a particular game.

Again, just because someone posts something doesn't mean it's true. I've 8 hours on my main profile, the one I don't share with anyone bar close friends. I guess though that because one poster says it's true it must be fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Murseyless

Again, just because someone posts something doesn't mean it's true. I've 8 hours on my main profile, the one I don't share with anyone bar close friends. I guess though that because one poster says it's true it must be fact.

This wasn't a personal jab at you, however the proof was in the pudding which Failsafe happily provided. Eight hours play time is surely enough to warrant a fair opinion on the game but you'll have to forgive me if I don't quite believe you.

I'm happy to take this to PM's if you wish so I can further elaborate as I don't want to be tarred with the fanboyism that is rife in these threads.

I will ask this however, given your experience so far of the game, have you played post-patch and if so, what were your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

We are all friends here lads

SWEATY YETI 83

Add me for hours of camping and terrible gameplay

🤣🤣

Yes I am that bad

Let me provide you with proof that some random player played 1 million hours.

Also, how do you know the correct player info was show, I'm certainly not their friend on Xbox so any info they have is at best guess work. I really don't care if you believe me or not nor do I want to discuss why you believe some post from a strange online. My personal account is for close friends and family only.

Also I'm not a fanboy, I've all the consoles and a PC and wants them all to have great titles. But alas, for me the One is used mainly for 4K blus as the exclusive games simply aren't there.

SWEATY YETI 83

I should be on later this week, have to start all over again.

Let me provide you with proof that some random player played 1 million hours.

I'm certainly not their friend on Xbox so any info they have is at best guess work. I really don't care if you believe me or not nor do I want to discuss why you believe some post from a strange online. My personal account is for close friends and family only.

Not a jab but I am pretty confident its you.
    My add is darkofsky

Very easy to find. Post history, sort by Xbox and usually one of the first things new posters do on the platform forums is share their gamertag with fellow boardsie.

Friend request sent btw :D

Joking aside if you haven't played the game in a while I recommend giving it a decent shot since patch 1.2 dropped a few days ago and its improvements have been remarkable. The patch is actually bigger than the entire game at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Murseyless wrote: »
    Having followed this discussion with interest because I've been toying with the idea of buying the game I was disappointed to see that someone who professes such disappointment with the game has barely played it.

With that in mind, having seen FAILSAFE pump quite a number of days into the game and his opinion after a recent patch, thank you for encouraging me to pick this up.

If you're on Xbox just get game pass for a month as it works out cheaper and you can judge for yourself with the added benefit of being able to play loads more games. If you're on PC ....best of luck.

For what's it's worth I pumped a solid week into completing the first settlement out of sheer bloody mindedness and not much else. Just relieved I didn't actually buy it. An utterly hollow and unrewarding experience imo.

Theres a free trial for gamepass and i think you get a free pass if you set it to auto renew or something like that. You can then immediately cancel it and keep the free time.

My issues with the game still remain. I much preferred the base building in the first game and how that worked. The story is completely unimaginative. Risk of death is almost nil after a point unless you get really stupid which I did. I get get why fuelling the car should be in there but it got tedious given the distances you might need to drive. You community members can get depressed like in the first game but I don't think it's as obvious what you need to do to cheer them up this time. I drove around with one with no idea what I needed to do and had to stop as the dialogue kept getting interrupted by the zombies we passed.

The other factions / enclaves aren't very good, like in the first game you had the hill billies etc. here they are all same and I just completely ignored their mooching radio calls.

The co-op does work though and is good unless you get disconnected which happened to me a fair few times.

I'm not sure about the other 2 maps, I played the plateau and didn't really like it but was too invested to bother starting over and I save scummed for the 4 endings to cut down on replay.

It'll probably be handled in DLC but I was expecting some interaction with the network and red talon which never happened.

Theres a free trial for gamepass and i think you get a free pass if you set it to auto renew or something like that. You can then immediately cancel it and keep the free time.

My issues with the game still remain. I much preferred the base building in the first game and how that worked. The story is completely unimaginative. Risk of death is almost nil after a point unless you get really stupid which I did. I get get why fuelling the car should be in there but it got tedious given the distances you might need to drive. You community members can get depressed like in the first game but I don't think it's as obvious what you need to do to cheer them up this time. I drove around with one with no idea what I needed to do and had to stop as the dialogue kept getting interrupted by the zombies we passed.

The other factions / enclaves aren't very good, like in the first game you had the hill billies etc. here they are all same and I just completely ignored their mooching radio calls.

The co-op does work though and is good unless you get disconnected which happened to me a fair few times.

I'm not sure about the other 2 maps, I played the plateau and didn't really like it but was too invested to bother starting over and I save scummed for the 4 endings to cut down on replay.

It'll probably be handled in DLC but I was expecting some interaction with the network and red talon which never happened.

The story is pretty much non existent but I am okay with that. I think that can be quite difficult in a game where at any moment a player can be killed off.

I really would have loved an expansion to some of the missions though to make them more engaging. Like what I mentioned before about community versus community. I'd like to see other communities attack my base in the hope of stealing our supplies. All the other communities suck :D They cant shot for ****, put me against 3 of them and I feel like Jason Bourne with my pistol lol.

I am really enjoying co-op since the update. I like joining in and helping peeps build their communities.

I agree that game difficulty needs a tweek. I love the fuel and how it works when it comes to vehicles. I have been in a few hairy spots when I ran out of fuel and had to look for more while my health was poor.

Yeah like theres no consequences really of ignoring the radio calls and them getting salty with you unless you head over there and they'll be hostile.

How are you doing on the zombie kills? That was the only one I needed for 1000gs and was still only at 2500 or so. My last play was with a warlord so I think the perk there was a stash of guns at you new settlement. Could speed things along there I guess

• Advertisement

Yeah like theres no consequences really of ignoring the radio calls and them getting salty with you unless you head over there and they'll be hostile.

How are you doing on the zombie kills? That was the only one I needed for 1000gs and was still only at 2500 or so. My last play was with a warlord so I think the perk there was a stash of guns at you new settlement. Could speed things along there I guess

Have you bumped into any groups of survivors yet who are just out looting and they shoot at you on sight? It's very funny. In co-op we were sitting in a car talking about what's next when suddenly shots are bouncing off the car and we are like "WTF is going on" nothing on the mini map and then we spot them and get out a gun them down. I have had a few of those. Quite funny.

I have 4,789 zombies killed. First playthrough was sheriff and now I am working on trader. I am getting supplies daily from the first community so supplies are plentiful this time round. Food in particular.

Advertisement