Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Mul, it's over
    Read that this morning and felt very sorry for the guy. Physio team in Connacht is top notch, Coughlan was with the IRFU underage setup previously and is very highly rated.

(15-9) Tiernan O’Halloran, Cian Kelleher, Tom Farrell, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy, Jack Carty, Kieran Marmion, (1-8)Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan (C), Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Quinn Roux, Sean O’Brien, Colby Fainga’a, Robin Copeland.

Replacements (16-23): Tom McCartney, Peter McCabe, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, James Cannon, Paul Boyle, Caolin Blade, Craig Ronaldson, Niyi Adeolokun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Fainga'aaaaaaa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The Friend Zone
    Big opportunity for certain Connacht players to put theur hands up for international selection. The Who pack bar fainga’a and Copeland could feel they have a chance to sneak into the squad. Marmion vs McGrath, carty with a chance to back up a big game with another and prove his consistency is there. If Farrell impresses tomorrow hard not to have him in the international debate

• Advertisement

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Big opportunity for certain Connacht players to put theur hands up for against international selection.
    Slight correction.
    Sadly Leinster have put their best

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tom Farrell could fill the void left by Chris. But I think he's in the same position as Rory Scannell. That of a talented centre who'd be capped in any other era, but just isn't as good as the three stupidly talented centres in Ringrose, Aki and Henshaw.

The Friend Zone
    Bit surprised that Heff seems to be one of the leader coming out from muldoons shadow. Wouldn’t have been a name I would have thought in the summer. Hopefully he keeps pushing on and others too can stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You've got a Friend in me
    connachta wrote: »
    Slight correction.
    Sadly Leinster have put their best

This is a good thing for any Connacht player hoping to force his way into the international frame.

Like, putting 47 points on a disinterested Leinster last May did no favours for any Connacht player, because it was utterly meaningless.

Now, if someone like Bealham, Dillane or Carty can produce the goods tomorrow, against a strong Leinster side, then the Irish coaches will take notice, even if Connacht lose.

And this is probably the last roll of the dice for some guys. Four tests in November means there should be a big squad but being in the Challenge Cup means this week and next are the only chances Connacht guys will have to stake their claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Bit surprised that Heff seems to be one of the leader coming out from muldoons shadow. Wouldn’t have been a name I would have thought in the summer. Hopefully he keeps pushing on and others too can stand up.

Was strange how he went from an Ireland cap in summer 2017 to being marginalised for a season under Keane and then almost immediately nailing down first choice under Friend.

• Advertisement

The Friend Zone
    Was strange how he went from an Ireland cap in summer 2017 to being marginalised for a season under Keane and then almost immediately nailing down first choice under Friend.

Only speculating but you could daycare maybe he was a player who didn’t see eye to eye with kk. He was on fire before kks arrival

The Friend Zone
    This is a good thing for any Connacht player hoping to force his way into the international frame.

Like, putting 47 points on a disinterested Leinster last May did no favours for any Connacht player, because it was utterly meaningless.

Now, if someone like Bealham, Dillane or Carty can produce the goods tomorrow, against a strong Leinster side, then the Irish coaches will take notice, even if Connacht lose.

And this is probably the last roll of the dice for some guys. Four tests in November means there should be a big squad but being in the Challenge Cup means this week and next are the only chances Connacht guys will have to stake their claim.

Really agree with this, highly doubt anyone not included for November will get in for the World Cup

Really agree with this, highly doubt anyone not included for November will get in for the World Cup
    And I totally disagree. I prefer beating Leinster A, get the 4 crucial points, qualifily for Champions Cup so that Connacht players could prove how good they are on a 6-game basis vs Toulon, Racing, Sarries etc.

The Friend Zone
    connachta wrote: »
    And I totally disagree. I prefer beating Leinster A, get the 4 crucial points, qualifily for Champions Cup so that Connacht players could prove how good they are on a 6-game basis vs Toulon, Racing, Sarries etc.

To be the best you’ve to beat the best. No point playing big teams in Europe if we can’t even do it in our league. Should relis the opportunity. Obviously Leinster have been significantly rattled by last years result to send Sexton for the first time in years. Shows a level of respect and/or fear that wasn’t there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Mul, it's over
    Cardiff win without a bp against Cheetahs in Cardiff.
    Probably the most favourable result for us.

Cardiff win without a bp against Cheetahs in Cardiff.
    Probably the most favourable result for us.
    No, Cardiff are worst rival for CC. I don't care about play-off
    God they missed BP in the end though
    We may regret in May the 3-4 points lost because Leinster target us for stupid revange.
    But miracles happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Mul, it's over
    I'm an Irish pub in Venice where they won't be showing the match 😧😧 looks like I'll be sitting in a corner trying to avail of a dodgy GBFM stream 😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Niyi in for Healy. Godwin at 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chex LeMeneux

Disappointing result but were talking about the best team in Europe and probably a top 5 international team. Great D but just couldn't create enough in Leinsters 22. I would be worried that we get our arses handed to us by a pissed off Ulster in Ravenhill next week though. If that happens it's hard to see too many bolsters for the Ireland camp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Mul, it's over
    Connacht will win in Ravenhill next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Hope Dom doesn’t pull on the jersey again. I don’t care what Andy says about it being out of character. That was a disgrace today. Doesn’t help the fact that he is hopeless at rugby. Sooner he f**ks off back to NZ the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Redo91 wrote: »
    Hope Dom doesn’t pull on the jersey again. I don’t care what Andy says about it being out of character. That was a disgrace today. Doesn’t help the fact that he is hopeless at rugby. Sooner he f**ks off back to NZ the better.
    Bit harsh.
    Was extremaly stupid but never pull on jersey again. Way OTT.
    No way was red card not deserved but Leinster are so cynical at ****e like VDF was doing and he got stamped on as he was holding onto McCoys leg. Leinster are very very good at this and it never seems to get pulled up by refs....
    He'll get 8-10 weeks reduced for previous good record by a week or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Bit harsh.
    Was extremaly stupid but never pull on jersey again. Way OTT.
    No way was red card not deserved but Leinster are so cynical at ****e like VDF was doing and he got stamped on as he was holding onto McCoys leg. Leinster are very very good at this and it never seems to get pulled up by refs....
    He'll get 8-10 weeks reduced for previous good record by a week or two

That sort of thing happens at every ruck and maul in every game of rugby, ever. It wasn't cynical in the least.

Nah, you're bang out of order making apologies for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

VDF was wrong but as somebody mentioned before it happens all the time. Lazy runners, leading with the shoulder, taking players out beyond the ruck. Munster are excellent at it. The issue is the reaction. If a player is in a position where he can't defend or protect himself and another player goes for a stamp, gouge of knee to the head area they should get the maximum ban. No place for it in the game.

The Friend Zone
    Will be very interesting to see what happens now in regards to tight head and out half. Carty is very overdue to be rested and in my opinion should have a realistic chance of being third choice ten for the November series. Similarly bealham is due a break and could easily be called up for Ireland too. With McCoy doing what he did and ronaldson rumored to have done his acl they both face long periods out. That leaves Horwitz at ten who is due back from injury mid October and Carey who hadn’t featured at all this season. Academy guys like Conor Kenny or Connor Fitzgerald might get called up but surely a medical joker needs to be looked at for ten anyways. Can you get a medical joker for a brainless red card at tight head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Will be very interesting to see what happens now in regards to tight head and out half. Carty is very overdue to be rested and in my opinion should have a realistic chance of being third choice ten for the November series. Similarly bealham is due a break and could easily be called up for Ireland too. With McCoy doing what he did and ronaldson rumored to have done his acl they both face long periods out. That leaves Horwitz at ten who is due back from injury mid October and Carey who hadn’t featured at all this season. Academy guys like Conor Kenny or Connor Fitzgerald might get called up but surely a medical joker needs to be looked at for ten anyways. Can you get a medical joker for a brainless red card at tight head?

Might get a load deal for TH but not a medical joker. Carthy is going to have to stick it out until Horwitz is fit. If Kenny and Fitzgerald are not good enough to sit on the bench for a game or 2 I wonder why they were signed at all. Get Quade Cooper in for a few months as a MJ for Ronaldson 😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Vakh Abaladze might be gettable on a short term deal. Looks a serious player and is struggling to break into the Leinster main squad right now. Bill Johnston might be worth a punt for FH cover too if fit.

But ideally Connacht could promote from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Sevu Reece’s move might be in jeopardy after drunkenly assaulting his girlfriend. According to Neil Tracey on Twitter Connacht are seeking further information before making a decision.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12134952

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Sevu Reece’s move might be in jeopardy after drunkenly assaulting his girlfriend. According to Neil Tracey on Twitter Connacht are seeking further information before making a decision.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12134952

I think it potentially depends on the level of publicity the story gets in Ireland. If the Connacht PRO works his arse off and keeps the media from making a story out of it, it could still go ahead.

But given the negative coverage over the past year of rugby players and their indiscretions regarding attitudes towards women, I would say this will torpedo the move and Connacht walk away if it gains traction here.

Reading the details though, Connacht should walk away now regardless. That's some atrocious behaviour. He's incredibly fortunate not to be charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

He got off because it would have ruined his future and his partner had forgiven him.

Tbh I'm not sure that'll be enough over here. Can see his contract being terminated.
    Reece, 21, was handed the discharge without conviction by Judge Denise Clark in the Hamilton District Court today.

Judge Clark said a conviction would have ended the Fijian-born player's Irish contract - and that would have been out of all proportion to the gravity of the offending.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement