Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-11-2020, 01:25   #31
Gregor Samsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss.paula View Post
The difference is in the states Bus drivers, Post men, Council workers are living a life style comparable to the highest earners in Ireland.
This is in no way accurate. US bus drivers having the same standards of living as people on six figure salaries here? Come on!
Advertisement
22-11-2020, 01:33   #32
walshtipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor Samsa View Post
This is in no way accurate. US bus drivers having the same standards of living as people on six figure salaries here? Come on!
Was thinking that.

I have no experience of living or working in the US. You don't even have to be earning six figure sums in Ireland to live well though. It really depends on your own priorities. I usually find that the people who complain that they are not satisfied with their lives here are the same people who visit the pub regularly and then buy a pack of 20 fags before heading to the bookies.

"Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"
Thanks from:
22-11-2020, 02:01   #33
con___manx1

Send a message via MSN to con___manx1
If I was you op I would move to Australia. They have a much better work life balance.
Alot of work places finish early on a Friday ��
I have lived in canada and Australia. Canada has similar annual leave to America. It is really depressing only having 10 days off.
I'm convinced its why so many americans are idiots. Most Americans are not well travelled for obvious reasons.
You have feck all workers rights in america aswell. Alot of people live in fear of being fired for nothing over there.
Thanks from:
22-11-2020, 02:52   #34
chrissb8

Know a few people who have lived and worked in America, and the work/life balance is not great. On top of that, the work culture is pretty terrible.

A few posters have stated that you get a lifestyle there you can't get here. While this is probably true to a degree if you get seriously sick and have no one to support you, you're screwed.

Also, I think the viewpoints of a lot of people of the nation and the pure capitalistic structure is distasteful. And the deep-rooted issues of racism, homelessness etc. Not my idea of a good country.
22-11-2020, 04:24   #35
JupiterKid

Quote:
The difference is in the states Bus drivers, Post men, Council workers are living a life style comparable to the highest earners in Ireland.

This is complete rubbish. Where did you get this fanciful notion?
Advertisement
22-11-2020, 09:39   #36
Gregor Samsa

Quote:
Google is your friend
Look at the properties owned by "working class" americans, look at the TV reality shows, the "working class" american is living large , comparable to the Irish upper class.
Plus what i know from family in the states.
I have to hand it to you. I’ve never seen anyone cite “reality TV” as evidence in a debate on socio-economic matters before, so thanks for that.

Last edited by Gregor Samsa; 22-11-2020 at 09:51.
22-11-2020, 11:31   #37
imitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor Samsa View Post
I work for an American company. They used to give the US employees 12 days paid holidays to start off with, but you could build that up to 24 over 6 years (2 days a year of service).

They now give unlimited PTO to their US employees, which ironically they can’t give here because of our statutory minimum paid leave requirements.

I think they have a rule that they can’t take more than a week at a time, but I’ve seen people out for 2. They tend to take loads of long weekends, and then a week in the summer, time around Thanksgiving (although as an e-commerce company, that’s actually our busiest time, so bit everyone can take time off then), and then they’re all off over Christmas.

In the Irish office, we start with 22 days, and can build up to 30 with service.
Unlimited PTO is a bit of a scam imo. The kinds of job that offer it are usualy fairly high grade and performance rated, so taking more than 20-25 days off would be frowned upon. In a lot of cases you would be pressured to do so much work you would probably be taking less days off than if you just had 20 assigned. I'm sure it also works well from the point of view that they no longer have pay or carry over for days you worked as you dont have any set number of days off defined.
Thanks from:
22-11-2020, 11:39   #38
Gregor Samsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by imitation View Post
Unlimited PTO is a bit of a scam imo. The kinds of job that offer it are usualy fairly high grade and performance rated, so taking more than 20-25 days off would be frowned upon. In a lot of cases you would be pressured to do so much work you would probably be taking less days off than if you just had 20 assigned. I'm sure it also works well from the point of view that they no longer have pay or carry over for days you worked as you dont have any set number of days off defined.
Yeah, it is. In fairness the CEO was quite up front about the financial benefits to the company, in not having to pay people who leave in lieu of unused PTO. That said, my personal experience of looking at my US colleagues is that they seem to be taking plenty of time off. But no, I wouldn’t want it here - I’m up to 30 days now, and I like the security of knowing it’s an entitlement.

The company also gave everyone across the globe an extra (paid) “company holiday” day off in May, and we’re getting another in December. Plus a few departments (including mine) introduced “summer hours” of a half day each Friday for June, July and August (no change in pay), and then announce it was being extended for the whole year. Not too shabby.

Also, no one in my company - US or not - takes time off for a doctor or dentist appointment, or bring the car to a mechanic. You just do it, and come into work after. It’s not even a matter making up the hours as such. Once you get your work done and don’t leave deadlines hanging, you really get to manage your own time (within reason).

Last edited by Gregor Samsa; 22-11-2020 at 11:48.
Thanks from:
22-11-2020, 11:41   #39
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom
I've long considered wanting to move to the US at some point in my life. I recognise it has some serious flaws, but my main gripe about the country is with the lack of annual leave the US (and Canada) both have. Am I right in saying the US has NO guaranteed paid leave whatsoever and it has be negotiated with an employer before hand? I also read that approximately 25% of Americans don't get ANY paid leave whatsoever? I think the average American only gets just 10 days off a year? In Canada its not much better either with 2 weeks only (and wages are also lower than the US).

Land of the free, apparently! Freedom must mean something else over there!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-11-2020, 12:17   #40
Hamachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
Land of the free, apparently! Freedom must mean something else over there!
Many Americans have a strong work ethic and prioritize their careers. If that’s the way they choose to live, let them at it.

There’s no better place to be if you’re young and ambitious.
Thanks from:
22-11-2020, 13:01   #41
Strumms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
Many Americans have a strong work ethic and prioritize their careers. If that’s the way they choose to live, let them at it.

There’s no better place to be if you’re young and ambitious.
A strong work ethic is a great thing... as long as you are suitably rewarded for it.

No point in walking into a job, after a while you are getting all the plaudits, pats on the back, you are constantly told how great you are, your being told how your work is being mentioned at management meetings...keep it up and you’ll go places... three year later, same job, similar pay and the recurring promises but excuse after excuse as to why ‘not just yet’...

Lots of stories like that from America... American companies here too...

Ambition is working for a company that values and rewards hard work, loyalty, intelligence, ambition and ability... American crowd I worked for way back loved all those attributes but were only prepared to reward those who were YES men over raw ability.

Last edited by Strumms; 22-11-2020 at 13:05.
Thanks from:
22-11-2020, 13:07   #42
Ads by Google

Apart from the hours, I could not stand the fake upbeatness American's seem to need to display. Like yay this company is great. All of the ones I work with are positively over the fuking moon to be there every day.
22-11-2020, 13:11   #43
Gregor Samsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumms View Post
A strong work ethic is a great thing... as long as you are suitably rewarded for it.

No point in walking into a job, after a while you are getting all the plaudits, pats on the back, you are constantly told how great you are, your being told how your work is being mentioned at management meetings...keep it up and you’ll go places... three year later, same job, similar pay and the recurring promises but excuse after excuse as to why ‘not just yet’...

Lots of stories like that from America... American companies here too...

Ambition is working for a company that values and rewards hard work, loyalty, intelligence, ambition and ability... American crowd I worked for way back loved all those attributes but were only prepared to reward those who were YES men over raw ability.
There’s a lot more to prioritising your career than sticking with the same company - especially if they’re doing that to you. The people I know that have rapidly progressed in their careers did so by changing jobs strategically. You have a much better chance of significant pay rises and promotions by changing jobs. You can move up in a company by staying with them, but it takes longer and the money is never as good.
(2) thanks from:
22-11-2020, 13:25   #44
Mad_maxx

Quote:
rubbish , people on low or modest incomes have a much better life in ireland than in america where if you dont have a good education , its common to work two or three jobs to make ends meet

Australia is the land of milk and honey for people with modest value skills to live a good lifestyle , unlike america , it also has a fairly strong welfare state
22-11-2020, 13:27   #45
BorneTobyWilde

Just move to Malta, 26 days paid holiday, and 14 days paid public holidays. Malta ranked first in the latest survey for overall job satisfaction out of 64 countries
Malta ranked 5th worldwide in the field of healthcare. Malta follows some serious high standards in the medical field that why anyone who pays for national insurance is eligible for free public healthcare in the country and this includes expats.

It's a bit of a tax haven, so lots of large companies there that are into financial , gaming, IT, types of businesses.

Plus the beach is only a few steps away.

(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion