Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work life balance in the USA

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

With respect to the declining average American life expectancy, it's to be noted that with the possible exception of mental healthcare, which has resulted in a notable US suicide rate (Still less than that of France, Japan or South Korea, not known for terrible healthcare systems), the causes of the decrease in life expectancy tend not to be related to healthcare in the first place.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/26/health/us-life-expectancy-decline-study/index.html
    Other studies to date have detected this negative trend, but this study went further and noted that problems like drug overdoses and suicides, that are shortening American life expectancy, have been building since the 1990s. Fatal drug overdoses for people in midlife, for example, increased 386.5% between 1999 and 2017, the study found.
    For obesity, midlife mortality rates increased 114%. Deaths due to hypertension for this age group increased by 78.9%. Mortality rates linked to alcohol-related problems, such as chronic liver disease and cirrhosis, increased 40.6% overall during that same time period.
    [...]
    While there are public health initiatives to address these issues, the negative trends in life expectancy are not likely to change any time soon, because the underlying drivers remain. For example, about 80% of adults don't meet physical activity guidelines, studies show, and the vast majority of American adults are overweight or obese -- some 71%, according to the CDC. People who are obese have a higher risk of cancer, diabetes, heart problems and chronic conditions that can cut a life short.

If Americans are, for whatever reason, choosing to live an unhealthy life, that's a different argument than debating healthcare systems on the basis of -average- life expectancy. A more telling assessment of the capability of the healthcare system is to compare average life expectancy of like-type people. Folks can have the absolute best, free, healthcare in the world, but if they choose to spend their time eating pork rinds and drinking beer on the couch watching a 4-hour-long American Football game instead of going for a swim, there's not a damned thing the healthcare system can do about it except try to minimize the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

NSAman wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with you Andrew.

However, as regards making a living. America is absolutely streets ahead of Ireland when it comes to actually being able to make an idea work.
    That's a lie. Ireland offers various schemes, grants, low cost training and a cheaper cost of education than the US. It's just the nature of Irish people are less entrepreneurial
    NSAman wrote: »
    (always a but!!) When the idea takes off, you are not screwed by Tax.
    Mustn't be that successful then if a bitta tax is going to break you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Sure Australia has the beach lifestyle and chillax culture and blokey beer approach but its 40’C. Not exactly an outdoorsey 8 hour relaxzone for
    the Irish. Try a few hours outdoor sport on a dustbowl sportsground or sunbathing in 38’C

I think this is more of a generalisation sure in parts of the outback where no one lives its probably close to 40C most of the year and a constant dustbowl.

But this is not the case in the larger cities, I live in Sydney and yes summer is hotter than the rest of the year but we have twice the annual rainfall than Dublin and 1100 hours more sunlight. 40C are not that common even in the western suburbs.
    In the Sydney central business district, an average of 15 days a year have temperatures of more than 30 °C (86 °F) and 3 days with temperatures over 35 °C (95 °F).[9] In contrast, western suburbs such as Liverpool and Penrith have 41 and 67 days with temperatures above 30 °C (86 °F), 10 and 19 days above 35 °C (95 °F), and, 1 and 4 days above 40 °C (104 °F), respectively.[

I don't play outdoor sport, but I certainly enjoy outdoor activities. backyard pool, beach, 4WD, camping, bushwalking, shooting, Jetskiing and beach/land fossicking. I can do most of these all year round if I want to... although winter can often be over 20C during the day and T-shirt is fine the water is much colder.

This time of year the sea is like a warm bath 21-22C, my in-laws live in Ettalong NSW and we spend nearly every 2nd weekend there and its only an hours drive my my house. Its a playground for outdoors just awesome, although in the bay winter can be a bit bleak at times. October - May is just great.

After the disaster firestorms and unprecedented catastrophies and destruction in Oz of 2020 huge parts of the land is now ash. The fires were visible from space - many of the places you would typically want to go ( Kangaroo Island, Gold Cost, Blue Mountains, Arlie Beach and many other towns and previously beautiful areas ) are obliterated or fire razed disaster zones.

You wont see much ash now, a lot of the areas especially Gospers mountain which I visit often is looking pretty good its not as thick bush but is in its in its regeneration cycle.

As for Life work Balance Australia you get 4 weeks annual leave and minimum 11 Public but these are the minimum.

I actually get 20 days annual leave plus the 3 days between xmas day and new years day. That's 23 days plus my 11 public and LSL and Leave Loading

You get Long Service Leave after 10 years anniversary with same employer (NSW) you are allowed an extra 8.67 weeks leave that you can use when ever you want, then you get an extra 4 weeks LSL every 5 years after that.

Leave Loading is an extra 17.5% pay for when you are off on leave, if you usually get paid $3000 a week when you are on leave it be $3525. Im not sure if its entirely mandatory but most employers do offer it.

Australia does have a more relaxed attitude to work, 2:30/3pm on a Friday and my office virtually empty and as long as the work is done the boss doesn't have a problem with it as you wont see him for dust. That's just the way it is.

I work in Healthcare and its fantastic here, the public system works well with the private system. You get a medicare card that is like a health credit card, you can go to your doctor and bulkbill the $44 charge to medicare so its a totally free consultation. I opt to go to a doctor that charges me $72, I pay the $72 and then the doctor gives me the medicare rebate of $44 that goes straight into my bank. I end up paying $28 but I get a longer consult and if I make an appointment its usually bang on time no waiting. Same with any operation, you can get it done at a time and place of your choice and Medicare pays a bit, your Private health fund pays a bit and you pay the gap. Simples most Australians are happy to pay the gap and get a quick service and in turn it takes the pressure off public services for those who cant pay.

I had to go to A&E in a Public hospital a few years ago, they had me in being attended to within 40 mins and I was walking out 3 hrs later.

Tax wise is usually in bands, my effective tax is about 29% but I can usually reduce it down to 24% as the deductions for my car then add in about $1700 for Medicare. I basically pay max 25c tax on every $1 I earn.

$120,001 – $180,000 you pay $29,467 plus 37 cents for each $1 over $120,000.

Comp Car insurance for a Land Cruiser, $1500 ( €926) year, Tax $688 (€425) CTP $725 (€448) Diesel $1.05 (€0.65)

I know Australia is a long way away, but to be fair its less than a days travel its not actually that bad especially if you sleep most of the way. I been living here in Sydney 15 years no way would I go back, great quality of life. Also very few restrictions due to covid, life has been about 60% increasing to 80% normal since June and probably about 95% normal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Dont forget purchased leave Mandrake. On top of 4 weeks annual leave and public holidays, my company offers an additional 4 week purchased leave. Also a year of "lifestyle" leave, this is unpaid but your job will still be there after.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Stovepipe wrote: »
    The problem with private health care is that it can exclude whatever it likes, when it likes and you have to keep finding more and more money to pay for it. It always goes up, never down and a significant amount of our population can't afford enough decent food, not to mind decent housing, let alone paying for private health care. It's another tax.

There is always a way to milk the system. Those who can’t afford get Medicaid. I work with a ton of people who have kids not married but live with the father of the children but claim to be a single mother. Food stamps/ Medicaid/ section 3 ( low rent supplement) and a huge tax return every year excess of $8k+ as a single mother. Just the same as Ireland with single mothers claiming, when in reality they live with the father of the children in a council house.
    In Ireland I would pay 44% tax including PRSI and then with my business if I want to take any money out I would have to pay close too 50% tax on that to take the money out of my own company. Here in Florida I pay 7% tax and Medicaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Palmy wrote: »
    There is always a way to milk the system. Those who can’t afford get Medicaid. I work with a ton of people who have kids not married but live with the father of the children but claim to be a single mother. Food stamps/ Medicaid/ section 3 ( low rent supplement) and a huge tax return every year excess of $8k+ as a single mother. Just the same as Ireland with single mothers claiming, when in reality they live with the father of the children in a council house.
    In Ireland I would pay 44% tax including PRSI and then with my business if I want to take any money out I would have to pay close too 50% tax on that to take the money out of my own company. Here in Florida I pay 7% tax and Medicaid.

Wow what a huge tax return.

I mean you make it sound so good why don't you do it yourself. It seems easy these people must be going on 4 holidays a year and get free prams that they leave at bus stops like Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

listermint wrote: »
    Wow what a huge tax return.

I mean you make it sound so good why don't you do it yourself. It seems easy these people must be going on 4 holidays a year and get free prams that they leave at bus stops like Ireland....

It’s the same as Ireland they make it easier to not actually get married at all. My friend lost his job and went for unemployment and was told he didn’t qualify because he was self employed. They did tell him though if he got divorced from his wife of 25 years he could claim.. Hilarious..

Advertisement