Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Photography Year Book 2008 - order now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

looks cool! thonda and whyulittle its a credit to you. There was a huge amount of work in it. thank you

*goes off to buy book.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭leinstergurl

Wow looks great so far!!Cant wait to get my copy....!!!!:) Well done to everyone involved...and special thanks to all the guys who worked so hard to get this together....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

while Thonda and Whyulittle absolutely deserve the plaudits they are getting ( well done btw!), don't forget it was you, the humble photographer, who also greatly contributed to this project and essentially made it possible :cool:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It looks even better then I expected and I was already expecting a lot!! Wow, it looks awesome.

Give me a day or two and I will make a site wide announcement and get a button for sigs etc.

Huge thanks to ThOnda and whyulittle for all the hard work they did and with such positive attitudes. You can be rightfully proud of this, as can every photographer who offered their work. Thank you.

Tom Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

while Thonda and Whyulittle absolutely deserve the plaudits they are getting ( well done btw!), don't forget it was you, the humble photographer, who also greatly contributed to this project and essentially made it possible :cool:

your right!!

Go me! :D

and all that work for charity that i do but don't like to talk aboutr2_highlights_l_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Ruu wrote: »
    Ordered, got a free shipping code as well (I'm in the US and used hpfreeshipping for anyone else). Smashing work from the preview but I expected nothing less. :) Page 8 whee.

hpfreeshipping works for any country as long as you change the currency to USD$ at the checkout - thanks Ruu!! FREE shipping to Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Absolutely brilliant looking book lads, one major issue all the photos in the sample section are far better than mine !!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Wow!!

Just ... wow! ... to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

hey all
    just took a peek - congrats everyone!!
    unfortunately i was away/busy the last while, so didn't see the kind invite to include a pic, but no bother, I'm sure there'll be next year :)
    I'll be proud to purchase one of these fine books

this is one of those positive aspects of the internet and the community thats here on Boards
    well done everyone especially Thonda and Whyulittle -kudos!!!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Thanks to Thonda and whyulittle for all their work on this.

Based on the preview 15 pages, I am very humbled to have my photo included in the book

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Well done to everyone involved. It's exciting and somewhat humbling to be involved in a project like this - I'm really proud to be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

guys that preview looks absolutely stunning.

i want to buy one but i'm unsure which to go for the dust jacket or imagewrap.

seriously a big thank you to all the guys who put effort into this it looks stunning.

as a relative newbie to photography i felt like my standard wasn't up to entering for the book but no doubt next year i will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hey Guys,

Just wondering, I know that ppl have put a lot of effort into advertising for the book for over the internet.
    I'm just wondering was there any poster format ever made?
    Something in the lines of 'perfect christmas gift' yada yada? I was just thinking it might not be a bad idea to put some posters/flyers up with a little info on how to order the book in shops and info boards for ppl who don't spend as much time on the internet as we do :D

Ye might think theres enough in the way of advertising already just thought i'd through my 2 cents in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Excellent stuff! I can't wait to see the finished copy (just ordered mine, went with the hardcover imagewrap version). Preview looks amazing, well done everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

BTW, from the Blurb FAQ:

How do I ship copies of my book to multiple recipients at different addresses?

Right now, you’ll need to place a separate order for each shipping destination (no extra charges apply). But soon, you’ll be able to send books to any number of different destinations, all in a single order.

Does that mean we could just send them to individuals instead of a bulk delivery for no extra shipping costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

To solve issue with shipment, we have encouraged creating of "delivery groups" from separate regions in Photography Expeditions sub-forum.
    The initial idea was to create one order for all, but we have found that that way would be almost impossible.
    I hope that people who have already ordered the book with the code for free shipment will tell us if that worked. If so, another issue would be sorted.

Because the delivery of majority of the books won't be here in fortnight, I thing that we can set the date for the official launch of the book for the 21/11 or 22/11. Please feel free to post your suggestions and what would suit your "friends" from the world of mighty media(s).

You could suggest or even book a venue suitable for such event. City center won't be bad.

And that could be also a nice opportunity to see each other before X-mass break.

jen_23 wrote: »
    ... I know that ppl have put a lot of effort into advertising for the book for over the internet...

Well, I know only one so far:-)

There is nothing done yet. If anybody has a little of free time and creative spirit, we will put all accessible materials on pix account http://pix.ie/boardsbook2008.

The cover and SSF logos will be uploaded there tomorrow, I hope.

And also don't hesitate to post the link and explanation of the book on your personal pages, in your galleries and in your blogs.

Another issue is if anybody of you is willing to provide us with smaller version of your picture for promoting the book, I bet that would be appreciated a lot. Of course, those pictures can be, could be and maybe even should be watermarked to protect your copyright and to provide credit to your work and help.

Thank you a lot for your support and such warm welcome of the preview. I only hope and believe that the whole book will be even better than just a preview.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

John wrote: »
    Excellent stuff! I can't wait to see the finished copy (just ordered mine, went with the hardcover imagewrap version). Preview looks amazing, well done everyone!

I went with this also, figured it would last longest and look best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Well done to everyone involved... especially the organisers I'll be ordering my copy very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Well done to everyone for their efforts.

64021719.CHPTbjAb.applause.gif

Book looks great.
    Glad to be a part of it.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    I went with this also, figured it would last longest and look best :)

The paper on the image wrap always falls off & gets tattered.
    It looks pretty when the book is new, but I don't think it stands the test of time.

• Advertisement

Just ordered 4 copies there.
    Free shipping with hpfreeshipping promo code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭dakar

Thanks to everyone who's put such an effort into this book.

Obviously ThOnda and whyulittle, but everyone else who got involved too. It looks gorgeous, I find the preview a little intimidating, but hey, I'm in there now one way or another!:D

Also thanks to Ruu for the free shipping!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Who-hoo!!! #1! :D ;D

Oooo I can't wait to get it!! I've ordered two (in the group) but I'm sure I'll get orders for more. I'm gonna email everyone and let them know about it - see if I can raise a few more orders. I'll wait a few days to see if anyone comes up with publicity stuff.

I have a few outstanding projects for college that I *really* need to get done this week. If I finish early though and there's anything needs doing with PR I'll give whatever hand is needed, gladly :)

And thanks Thonda and Whyulittle - so much! And everyone else :):):)

Hey i put together a little poster that ppl can print off and put up in any place that seems to be a good advertising spot!!

Also feel free to glam it up anyone change it in anyway you want I may have made it a bit wordy.
    (saying that i did take quotes from the book and the ssf logo hope nobody minds!)
    A few pics would be nice to add from the album. I'd gladly put mine on but I think one of the first 15 might be better as the quality is fantastic!

Sorry having problems upoloading from powerpoint format so i out it in Word for now.

Also i might email some radio stations to ask them to advertise too as it's for a charity they might do it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I see the book has made it to the best seller page - http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/popular :)

I've checked the account. 29 books sold and the profit raised is already €145.00!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Cabaal wrote: »
    I see the book has made it to the best seller page - http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/popular :)

Thats great news !

jen_23 wrote: »
    Hey i put together a little poster that ppl can print off and put up in any place that seems to be a good advertising spot!!

Maybe someone on the graphic design forum would create a banner?
    Could stick it at the top of boards, while people are looking for gift ideas.

• Advertisement

I have uploaded SSF logo to the http://pix.ie/boardsbook2008 page. Feel free to use it. The Cover design will be there today.
    Unfortunately the Boards.ie logos are PNG files that are not supported by PIX.ie, therefore cannot be uploaded there.

Advertisement