24-02-2021, 19:07   #571
mikhail

I guess it depends on how you use it. I do use it as a value judgement: weak genre films which target a female demographic, a counterpart to the kind of direct-to-dvd action junk that targets men. I wouldn't refer to Mean Girls as a chick flick, any more than I'd call Die Hard action junk. Mean Girls is one of the best comedies of the decade it was released.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-02-2021, 19:15   #572
TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
I guess it depends on how you use it. I do use it as a value judgement: weak genre films which target a female demographic, a counterpart to the kind of direct-to-dvd action junk that targets men. I wouldn't refer to Mean Girls as a chick flick, any more than I'd call Die Hard action junk. Mean Girls is one of the best comedies of the decade it was released.
This is pretty much how I feel about it too. There is a certain type of film that is churned out with very little effort and targeted specifically at a certain demographic of women, and serve no other purpose than to mildly entertain for 90 minutes and never be thought of again. But for every Katherine Heigl unlucky in love film, there's a Jason Statham shooting at something film. Takes all sorts.
24-02-2021, 19:35   #573
protonmike

Also the term 'chick flick' could easily be used as a description for much of the works of Shakespeare with the criteria that seems to make something into a 'chick flick', is 10 Things I Hate About You one? How about Gone With The Wind or Breakfast at Tiffanies? If anything, they're the type of stories that are universally accessible and have been for millenia....

You might get the trashy stuff that's crap etc. But more than anything it's derivative and targeting a demographic in terms of production. But a female or male dominated film can be perfectly accessible to all audiences.

Anyway, might give Clueless a watch this weekend.
24-02-2021, 19:41   #574
TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by protonmike View Post

Anyway, might give Clueless a watch this weekend.
Ah, the double whammy of a chick flick adapted from chick lit
Thanks from:
24-02-2021, 21:13   #575
secondrowgal

Just watched Bombshell and my god I want to through something or someone through a window! What a ****ing cesspit of a place.
Advertisement
24-02-2021, 22:07   #576
DrumSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Vs ManUre View Post
Widows is a proper good heist film, doesn’t matter if it is chicks pulling off the heist, it’s not a girlie film like Hustlers, Mean Girls and Mama Mia.
Call it whatever you want, that film was absolutely God awful.

Only signed up for prime recently and watched all 6 seasons of Bosch... What a show.
25-02-2021, 15:00   #577
Debub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumSteve View Post

Only signed up for prime recently and watched all 6 seasons of Bosch... What a show.

agree - what a show... watched the first episode with the wife, she didn't like it that much so I binge watched it solo and also got hooked onto the music as well (have the full playlist on Spotify now)... suggested to the wife to give it another go - and she did and didn't stop till the end
25-02-2021, 22:41   #578
fryup

why are nearly all the movies geo-locked ??
26-02-2021, 00:06   #579
TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
why are nearly all the movies geo-locked ??
Are you on a UK account? I know there was a whole thing happened in January with Brexit and people had to change back to Irish accounts. There was lots of discussion abour it in the other General Amazon thread.
Advertisement
26-02-2021, 01:32   #580
amacca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumSteve View Post

Agree...I know it gets good reviews, critics seem to like it etc

And I still think.its criminally under rated

It's very well done imo.....and I too love the music like poster above...thing the opening credits sounds and looks fantastic
26-02-2021, 08:05   #581
fryup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKLE_ME_ELMO View Post
Are you on a UK account? I know there was a whole thing happened in January with Brexit and people had to change back to Irish accounts. There was lots of discussion abour it in the other General Amazon thread.
irish account,
26-02-2021, 08:54   #582
Mickeroo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
irish account,
It thinks your in the UK though. I had the same problem with an Irish amazon account. Try logging in to prime video through a web browser and see does it give you the option to choose your location on sign in, it did for me and when I set Ireland there everything was fine after that.
Thanks from:
26-02-2021, 12:24   #583
DrumSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debub View Post
agree - what a show... watched the first episode with the wife, she didn't like it that much so I binge watched it solo and also got hooked onto the music as well (have the full playlist on Spotify now)... suggested to the wife to give it another go - and she did and didn't stop till the end
The music is incredible.

But I think the writing is just really good on it; its the sort of programme they could make 100 seasons of and I probably wouldn't get bored of.
Thanks from:
26-02-2021, 23:12   #584
Charlie19

I'm about 15 minutes into I Care a Lot with Rosamund Pike and it's making my blood boil.

What a horrible business to be in.
27-02-2021, 09:00   #585
Pen Rua

We cancelled Netflix, and went with Amazon Prime Video (half price compared to Netflix) to give it a go, as there's some movies I've been wanting to watch.

Started off last night with '71 (2014) which tells the story of a British solider who gets separated from his platoon when helping the RUC on a raid in a Catholic part of Belfast.

It was an excellent film, with high tension throughout and some interesting characters peppered through. A strong UK & Irish cast, including Jack O'Connell (Skins), Paul Anderson (Peaky Blinders), Barry Keoghan (Dunkirk, Chernobyl, Love/Hate), Killian Scott (Love/Hate). It kept me close to the edge of my seat, but for me, lacked something toward the end.

A solid watch and a comfortable 7/10.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion