Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great House Revival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Deeec

Last night's show was a good project. We need to see more buildings like this in towns and villages restored.

The house last night is still very much a work in progress. It would be great if Hugh could revisit it in 2 years to see how it's going. It's a big project!

• Registered Users Posts: 67,050 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I live quite near Drum but it is so out of the way and on the way to nowhere, I have only been in it a handful of times. Knew all those interviewed from the village though.

Still think if they do the restaurant right they will do well. People would be used to going to places that are not in ideal locations here, like The Olde Post & the one in Glaslough (equally out of the way).

Loved the work they did, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Last nights and the 1st one are my favourites so far. They are staying true to the properties history. Id love to see this couple win the lotto even a lotto plus to finish off more to it.

I love the way this couple and rob in the 1st one just got stuck in and do so much themselves. Too many want the instagram perfect new house straight away.So many properties in towns and villages around the country that need such love. Hopefully this show might inspire others to do the same. In last night show at the start you could see a number of boarded up houses down the road. Hopefully they get some life soon could make a fabulous village even if irs in the middle of nowhere.

If the old pub became a tearoom coffee shop it would do as its already gotten good publicity from the show. Would attract CIA/actice retirement day trippers, cyclist stop offs as well as local

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It was a good job last night and the couple were lovely. But jesus these programs really show you just what a money pit old buildings like that can be. The 170k budget doesnt go far when you have to do things like replace the entire roof and chimneys. Plus one of them took a year off work just to get the place cleared out and ready for contractors to start work, there is a serous cost to that too all while paying rent/a mortgage elsewhere.

I think at the end they had a 3 bed house so maybe about 120sqm done up and complete but still around another 280sqm with the rest of the place out the back. Id wonder will they ever complete the whole lot, aside from it needing several hundred thousand more spent on it they both looked exhausted after two years of hard slog doing up the section they did.

Its no wonder there are derelict houses similar to last nights in every town and village across the country, most of the time they are just not financially viable to do up. For those that do there is absolutely no certainty on how much the budget is going to get exceeded by or how long it is going to take. The romanticism and nostalgia of doing up these old buildings is all very well and the phrase 'labour of love' gets bandied about a lot. But the time and money needed to actually do it means you'll likely end up with a house that cost more to do up than it is actually worth when its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Looks like 2 planning applications submitted, the first for the work we saw and the second one P21/223 to develop accommodation at the right turning the last 2 boarded up windows into 2 doors into 2 standalone rooms with own entrance. They seem interlinked and one setup as a living area. Then underneath 2 more own entrance guest rooms with access from the back yard.

The Andersons pub section in the middle is left vacant upstairs with the underneath being already renovated as shown.

No mention of developing the barn in the application.

So probably €500000 later they will have 3 potential rooms for rent in the middle of nowhere and all doors opening straight out into the elements.

There is space in the middle for a small single floor coffee shop but you would need to add prep areas, kitchens, toilets etc. so there won't be many seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The idea of taking a year off work to clear out the house was the craziest part of it all.

She would have been earning say 40k plus.

A demolition / clearance team in there would have left nothing but bare bones after a week or 2.

A few days should have been enough for her and husband to go through it searching for what they wanted to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AFOL

I think the commute from Monaghan to Maynooth each day would cost her the guts of that 40k... or her sanity. I would guess she originally planned to leave the job, took a year first and with remote working after covid decided to stay on a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

I got stressed just watching it, 40 minute drive from their rental location, lucky they dont have any kids, marriages have collapsed under less pressure. Theres good margin in coffee shops but you need consistent footfall, they'd need ALOT of custom to replace even one of the 40K plus job a year with pension etc. I know its not just about money but even the most enthusiastic of people are going to struggle maintaining that enthusiasm with only a small amount of custom coming through the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well then don't put it down as a year off work to clear out the house. That's a year off work because the commute is too long or it simply wasn't worth while.

Even at that, it's still nuts. She would have been far better off taking a minimum wage job locally and pay a few builders to get the place emptied out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Yeah overall I wonder about the viability of the project, looking on street view the commercial aspect is a non runner, only a handful of houses in the village, one business thats probably on the brink of closing. The Airbnb aspect is again very limited.

Can't see them ever recovering their investment by trying to sell it tbh.

Something like that might work outside Killarney or the Burren, but not where they are.

• Advertisement

yeah they were a lovely couple but they seemed like a pair of dreamers who just had the idyllic notion that running a coffee shop in rural Ireland would be a perfect life. The reality is more likely tumbleweed as the village is so off the beaten track. It has a lake nearby but so do a lot of places in Monaghan/Cavan so not really a USP. When they get the 3 Airbnb units set up they might make a few quid from that in the summer but its hard to see them ever getting any decent return from the amount of money they are putting in. They'll still have a nice house but they are miles away from friends/family back in Maynooth. If they wanted to do up an old house they could have found loads of stuff a lot closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Iirc they bought it for 40k, that was cracking value Imo - it's the price of a new Passat these days!

Dunno about the footfall for a coffee shop, might be a nice spot out the back for a farmers market, craft fairs etc - people would go for a Sunday spin to it.

I never knew it only cost 40k, that was a bargain really. Its probably what got them thinking spending a fair bit more wasnt too bad.

Yeah coffee shops need a good bit of footfall, theres a couple near me and I dont know how they survive as they are very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

They are young and full of beans so they will be ok. What was all that fuss about the removable timber batten behind the diamond shaped glass window. ?

As usual we got a glimpse but no explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Bit underwhelmed at the latest episode. They didn't seem to do much over the course of 2 or so years. With herself on leave for a year she didn't seem to do very much in that year from what I could see, would clearing out old furniture and belongings really take that long? It was difficult IMO to see that they got much done for their money either but I guess that's the joy of old houses - €100k would disappear behind the scenes very quickly and easily. The couple seemed weary by the end of the show, I'd say the stop/start nature of the covid lockdowns had a big part to play in that. Can echo other posters in that they seem like a lovely couple and I think they would be a great addition to the village community and hopefully in time can help to regenerate the local area, so many other villages across Ireland need people like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This one definitely looks like a money sink!

I wonder will they take the advice about the french windows? For once I agree with Hugh, what they had planned would look very odd on the front of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Not sure why you would want to restore this. As it isn't listed I'd be more tempted to replace outline with new build or keep the barn only. Nothing appealing about the cottage so far.

I thought the same, but I must say I like their attitude and approach!

Why do they want a living room between their ensuite and the bedroom.

Also having the utility room in the separate building will be a pita when doing the washing.

Maybe to make it more like a hotel suite? Although they don't seem like the kind to have those "notions"! I thought calling a bathroom a room away from the bedroom an en suite was a bit odd alright.

Didn't notice the utility room or where it was.

• Advertisement

Love the dog!!

This reminds me so much of my father's and mother's home places in Mayo and Galway!

Jaysus, they built that steel frame by hand, no cranes.... fair dues!

Mother of God, that was some restoration job done in the house Hugh brought them to!! A pile of stones is basically what it was.

As much as I love natural stone, I can't say that hallway does much for me - I know they said it was warm but it looked too much like the outdoors to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I like it.

Can anyone tell if they kept the outdoor stairs that were attached to the cottage?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Are the floors cement? Can't really make it out

It was nice, but left me cold at the same time. Didn't see any internal doors.

Was disappointed that they rendered over the cottage part.

Loved the statue in the barn wall. Did the barn have any opening windows? They all looked like picture windows. How does that get past building control?

Barn looked great from the outside. I think I would have painted the internal steels to lessen their visual impact.

I loved it inside, but not so much outside - those windows just looked.... odd, somehow. Especially the one where the door would have been on the cottage (I know it would be redundant, but I'd have kept a door there anyway).

I think from an insulation/watertightness POV they'd have had to render over the cottage - at least they did it with the right materials!

Kudos also for not putting in a fitted kitchen - and there was no feeling of the place having been staged from Homebase and DFS for Hugh's walkthrough this time.

And I loved the steel beams, especially the ones melting into the "wonky walls"! In the kitchen/dining area, it gave a look of a church or cathedral. Fabulous!

I never figured out where those outside stairs were on the barn exactly - I'm a total sucker for those corn stores (as I think they were). But since they removed the internal floor and made a double-height space, even if they kept the stairs they'd only lead to fresh air!

Great job all round, and by some margin the least traumatic so far unless they've left out a whole lot in the editing. I think they said they'd hoped for a 12-month project, and it took 14 months? With Covid, that's a minor miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

It came out lovely but was it only two bedrooms in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hugh wasn't taking the jacket off inside. You could see the mist when he was chatting. I'm guessing they moved in with a lot of jobs left to complete. 14 months during all that disruption was impressive. Nice family and builders.

I think I would have focused on restoring the barn and building a modern, better proportioned extension off it, rather than restoring the cottage. The layout just wouldn't work for me and for that money, you would want more than two bedrooms.

I think it would have looked a lot better with the same roof on the barn and cottage as per the original plans.

Advertisement