Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city drinking water update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Im in Shanakiel/Holyhill area and still have water. Ye reckon it will go at some stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

nacl wrote: »
    Is that quicker than putting in replacement pumps?

Or are they custom made or too awkward to buy off the shelf?

Probably not the sort of thing you can purchase at B+Q or Woodies.

If water is in such short supply shouldn't pubs, clubs be forced to close to conserve water. I know the business owners would go mad but.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

sunnyside wrote: »
    Probably not the sort of thing you can purchase at B+Q or Woodies.

If water is in such short supply shouldn't pubs, clubs be forced to close to conserve water. I know the business owners would go mad but.....

I'm saying off the shelf in an industrial sense :)

gpf101 wrote: »
    Im in Shanakiel/Holyhill area and still have water. Ye reckon it will go at some stage?

I still have water too but I'd say the water will go everywhere at some stage in the next few days. I don't think anybody can say for certain, the situation is constantly changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Is that quicker than putting in replacement pumps?

These units cost about half a million euro new and delivery time is around six months since they're made from scratch per order and aren't "off the shelf" items.

So yeah, a fair bit faster.

• Advertisement

To be fair NESF I think you are underestimating peoples understanding of the situation. Most people know the water has to be released at some stage. The problem seems to be how the information on the extra release was relayed to the public and how it was interpreted. I heard about it on the radio and just assumed it would cause additional problems but I believe the media(as per Pascal Sheehy) were told that the release would have no effect on the levels lower down in the valley which seems bizarre.

I heard that they were going to be releasing water, but I didn't hear much more than that at the time on the media. It's not that people don't understand why water would have to be released from a dam, more that it's easy for us to forget about the threat of flooding when there hasn't been anything serious for a decade or more. I know personally it really wasn't something that I'd have ranked as an imminent threat to the city if you'd have asked me six months ago.

There's probably a limited supply of people with the skills and expertise to work on this too.

I'm saying off the shelf in an industrial sense :)

Yeah the big problem with pumps of this size is that there's a small enough amount of them produced per month and the next 3-4 months of production has already been bought by someone so you'd be at the end of a long queue to get one. They're really not comparable to smaller pumps which are "off the shelf" in an industrial sense and you could probably get your hands on some of them within a few weeks if you needed it.

But individual pumps worth upwards of 500,000 euro only get made when a buyer is already there generally speaking and orders are usually made 6-12 months in advance if not more.

It wouldn't exactly be an impulse purchase so I can understand how it would take ages to get one and even if we could I don't think Biffo can afford such things.

How are people hearing where and when the water is due to be turned off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

gpf101 wrote: »
    the water is gone in shanakiel road but seems to be still flowing at the end of the lee road which is all a bit confusing.. a week with no water feels like a long time right now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dpaulod

No Water On Summer Hill North Will windows 7 still work or should I
    go back to Vista

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

According to my cousin its been turned off in 20mins out here ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Its weird we still have it at the top of Shanakiel hill and shanakiel itself is gone.

Edit: spoke too soon I think, getting very weak now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just heard there that Douglas/Rochestown is expected to lose water within the hour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

sunnyside wrote: »

How are people hearing where and when the water is due to be turned off?

me too???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

My sister heard it off her neighbour who said she "heard it off the horses mouth". Presume people are ringing any numbers they can get their hands on etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I had a bit of a google around some old Cork Corporation / Cork City Council reports on the internet and it seems there are several supply systems:

The largest is the Lee Road Waterworks, which is the one that is out of action. This serves the city centre, northern city, most of the western suburbs and older parts of Douglas, Blackrock etc.

The intake for this system is at the Lee Road Waterworks which is basically just opposite County Hall.

The other source of water in Cork City/Suburbs is from the Cork Harbour & City Water Supply Scheme. This takes water from upstream of the dam, and is not affected.

That system serves the newer suburban areas to the South of the City mostly.

Some parts of the east of the city may also be served from Glashboy, which is in Glanmire.

There is also some interconnection between all of these systems, which might explain how they can get a limited supply back online in the central island area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Solair wrote: »
    I had a bit of a google around some old Cork Corporation / Cork City Council reports on the internet and it seems there are several supply systems:

The largest is the Lee Road Waterworks, which is the one that is out of action. This serves the city centre, northern city, most of the western suburbs and older parts of Douglas, Blackrock etc.

The intake for this system is at the Lee Road Waterworks which is basically just opposite County Hall.

The other source of water in Cork City/Suburbs is from the Cork Harbour & City Water Supply Scheme. This takes water from upstream of the dam, and is not affected.

That system serves the newer suburban areas to the South of the City mostly.

Some parts of the east of the city may also be served from Glashboy, which is in Glanmire.

There is also some interconnection between all of these systems, which might explain how they can get a limited supply back online in the central island area.

Tnx Solair , when i hear people say in the central island area it makes it sound like NY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

Hi All,

We still have water here in Ballincollig. Just giving my 2 cents. Heard all water will be turned off at midnight or at the latest tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 LauraMcGonigle

Hi All,

I am a city councillor and deputy Lord Mayor of Cork.

Just to allay fears:

Firstly, the supply of water to Cork County is perfectly stable. Water is from two sources, Farmers Cross, which hasn't been effected and Inniscarra, which is ABOVE the dam. So there will be absolutely no disruption to the supply in Rochestown, Carrigaline, Ballincollig, the county side of Douglas or any other area in the Cork County Council local authority area.

With regard to City Council supply - THE SUPPLY IS NOT BEING TURNED OFF AT ANY STAGE IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.

If you currently have water, you will more than likely retain your supply.

Just to reitterate, the Council will not be turning off the water tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

I am in Blackrock/Mahon, one of my neighbours just told me our water is going off at midnight, does anyone know if this is true or where I can find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hi All,

I am a city councillor and deputy Lord Mayor of Cork.

Just to allay fears:

Firstly, the supply of water to Cork County is perfectly stable. Water is from two sources, Farmers Cross, which hasn't been effected and Inniscarra, which is ABOVE the dam. So there will be absolutely no disruption to the supply in Rochestown, Carrigaline, Ballincollig, the county side of Douglas or any other area in the Cork County Council local authority area.

With regard to City Council supply - THE SUPPLY IS NOT BEING TURNED OFF AT ANY STAGE IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.

If you currently have water, you will more than likely retain your supply.

Just to reitterate, the Council will not be turning off the water tonight.

Any idea when the rest of the city's supply will be coming back by any chance?

I am in Blackrock/Mahon, one of my neighbours just told me our water is going off at midnight, does anyone know if this is true or where I can find out?

To be honest I'd say it's unlikely that anybody can get any information from the council or ESB at this hour of the night. I expect they are working on it but not from a desk so don't expect twitter updates. If the power is going out for a few hours during the night most people won't even notice because they'll be in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think if you have water, you're likely to keep it!

See quote from Cllr Laura McGonnigle, Cork's deputy mayor - above.

As of yet engineers have still not been able to gain access to all the damaged valves at the Lee Water Works, owing to the large amount of flood water still at the site, and as a result we have no realistic idea of when the City’s water supply will be restored.

Best case scenario is the end of next week.

See my website for more info www.lauramcgonigle.ie

or twitter www.twitter.com/lauramcgonigle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 josieo

living on summerhill north water gone since early this morning 3 kids its a joke city flooding yet we cant wash or use toilet and nobody seems to know whats going on

You can't wash or use the toilet, because the Council shut down the pumping station that was flooded to stop contaminated water entering the supply - which would have been a huge health and safety risk for the City.

Those who have water are being supplied from the second pumping station, or tivoli or maybe on the County supply

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

josieo wrote: »
    living on summerhill north water gone since early this morning 3 kids its a joke city flooding yet we cant wash or use toilet and nobody seems to know whats going on

Please read the advice from city council website carefully, you have options.

Here are the extracts applicable to your situation which you might find helpful.

"Toilet flushing

If there is no water for flushing toilets, it is important that all water used for washing, bathing, and from cooking (i.e. water from boiled vegetables) or washing up is saved in buckets to be used for flushing. It is not necessary to flush the toilet after urination. Other sources of recycled water can also be used for flushing e.g. rain water

Bathing infants

If tap water is not available for bathing infants, boiled and cooled tanker water or bottled water are safe alternatives. A safe alternative to bathing is to use baby wipes for hand cleansing and washing infants."

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Many thanks to Laura McGonigle for coming on here and clarifying the position. I have water at present I will now sleep a little easier tonight. My heart goes out to people who look like facing all next week without any water.

Will schools who don't have water close next week? If toilets can't be flushed, I'd imagine a health hazard could be created very quickly

• Advertisement

Leeside wrote: »
    Many thanks to Laura McGonigle for coming on here and clarifying the position. I have water at present I will now sleep a little easier tonight. My heart goes out to people who look like facing all next week without any water.

Will schools who don't have water close next week? If toilets can't be flushed, I'd imagine a health hazard could be created very quickly

Yip, schools without water have been advised by HSE and City Council to close!

Advertisement