Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city drinking water update

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 LauraMcGonigle

Bord Gáis has received a number of queries from natural gas users regarding use of their heating systems during the current water supply situation.

The advice from Bord Gáis (www.bordgais.ie) is as follows:
    “Natural gas central heating systems should continue to operate in instances where water from the mains supply has been cut off. Natural gas users who have the option to control their central heating and domestic hot water circuits separately, can continue to use their central heating boiler but should avoid use of the hot water circuit until water supplies have been restored. For natural gas users who do not have the option to control their hot water separately from their heating, they should be aware that where the hot water circuit and heating circuit are shared and the level of the water in the hot water system (cylinder / domestic storage tank) runs down, the boiler may trip out (on temperature overheat).
    This is a normal boiler safety control. Note that using your hot water taps will result in the draining down of the domestic hot water system (cylinder / domestic storage tank). For users with Combi type boilers (normally operated without the need for hot water storage unit) the central heating system should continue to operate as normal however, the hot water system, which is normally fed directly from the mains water supply, will not operate until the water supply is restored.
    If customers experience difficulties with their central heating system, they should contact a local Registered Gas Installer (RGI). Visit www.rgii.ie to find a local RGI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Laura, we have had water on the Douglas Road since yesterday morning. Is this from the pump they installed by Tesco and is there a chance it'll go again?

I can't see anything on city council site about a return of supply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nizarol

We have water back in the Old Blackrock Rd. I rang the water dept and basically this is not an on/off situation. They are restoring supply where they can and are not intending on cutting it off. However pressure is low and some areas on the Blackrock Rd have intermittent suppy.

People need to keep an eye on water flow before using hot water, washing machines etc. Ours has dipped again so we're not out of the woods yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hill1

We had water at 6 this morning and gone by 7 and still off in the shandon area. still trying to find out if it will be coming back.

spoke too soon...water gone again. however it is on in my brothers place 500yrd down the road..so figure that one out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

nizarol wrote: »
    spoke too soon...water gone again. however it is on in my brothers place 500yrd down the road..so figure that one out
    That could be down to water pressure/distance from the pump source. He could be closer to the pump, so not enough pressure to reach your house. Otherwise, you could be on different water lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The system has to be pressurised sufficiently to get the water up to the correct height to flow through your taps.

It's quite possible that your house is just above the maximum height that the system can pump the water up to right now. There is some water getting into the network from alternative sources, but it's a very limited supply so it seems that it's only going to the central island and the lowest lying areas.

It's possible that you're getting water at early hours of the morning because city centre demand is lowest then, so the system has enough pressure to allow water to flow a little higher up.

Once the city centre demand goes back on again, the pressure drops and your supply is once again interrupted.

Also, remember in the Irish (and British) system every building has a head tank i.e. an attic tank. So, when the water is restored, everyone's house is on maximum demand as those tanks start to fill-up. This results in very low pressure for quite a while and it can take the system ages to re-pressurise.

In most other countries, water is supplied using larger mains and enters your home through a simple non-return valve. Hot, and cold water are all pressurised from the mains.

The Irish (and British) system is a bit of an oddity to put it mildly!

Again, as others on this forum have stressed

If you water has been interrupted i.e. if you're on the Lee Road Waterworks supplied system (most of the City) you should not assume that the water coming from your taps is clean until the system is fully restored to normal working order.

If you must drink water from the tap, you should BOIL it in a kettle first.

i.e. typically this means making lots of cups of tea!

Water for washing food and dishes should also be boiled and allowed to cool before using.

Same for washing teeth.

Ideally, just use bottled water for anything that you might consume.

If you are washing your hands to put in contact lenses, or to carry out any medical procedures such as injecting insulin you should use bottled water and wash your hands with antibacterial soap as normal.

Do not rinse your hands in mains water!

Other tips:

If you are cooking vegetables and you normally boil them, consider using the microwave.

Put the vegetables into a microwavable bowl, add a couple of tablespoons of boiled water, or bottled water. Cover with a plate and microwave for 4 to 6 mins (depending on the wattage of your microwave)

Vegetables can also be baked, by just putting them into the oven in a baking tray and drizzling them with a little olive oil & cooking at about 190C until cooked.

In general, I would recommend avoiding using water to cook
    IF YOU ARE IN AN AREA THAT HAS HAD WATER SUPPLIES INTERRUPTED - BOIL ANY WATER YOU USE IT. OR USE BOTTLED WATER.
    DON'T TAKE A CHANCE!

THE LAST THING YOU NEED IS A SICK STOMACH WHEN THERE'S NO WATER TO FLUSH TOILETS !!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

If you contact the free council number 1800 283 034, tell them what area you are in, they can tell you if the water is safe for use or not, they have been very helpful on that number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

Showers of a good kind at last, thanks to the Hospitality providers of Cork city and the Council

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22247,en.html

Shower facilities available – NEW (4.15 p.m. 24/11/2009)

Cork City Council has made arrangements with the following hotels and leisure centres who have kindly agreed to provide shower facilities free of charge to members of the public affected by the current water shortages.

Ashley Hotel, Coburg Street

Tel: 4501518

Clarion Hotel, Lapps Quay

Tel: 4224900

Fitzgeralds Vienna Woods Hotel, Glanmire

Tel: 4821146

Gresham Metropole Hotel – Leisure Centre, McCurtain Street

Tel: 4508122

Jury’s Inn, Anderson’s Quay

Tel: 4943000

Leisureworld, Bishopstown

Tel: 4346505

Mahon Golf Course

Tel: 4292543

Radisson SAS Hotel Leisure Centre, Little Island –

Tel: 4297000

Rochestown Park Hotel, Leisure Centre, Rochestown

Tel: 4890800

IT IS ADVISABLE TO CONTACT THE VENUE IN ADVANCE

Cork City Council wishes to thank all of the above for their generous co-operation at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 49 murraymar

IJust received this by email
    Issued by MET EIREANN.

Very windy for Tuesday with further spells of heavy rain, with some further flooding likely.

Strong southerly winds will gust 85 to 100 km/h in places.

Stormy this evening and tonight, with gusts of 120 to 130 km/h in parts of the West and North. Heavy squally and possibly thundery showers also.

Overall, rainfall totals 25 to 35 mm, highest in Southwest, West and North.

Valid from 03.00hrs on the 24th to 09.00hrs on the 25th November

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cupple

i live on the boreenmanna road and my cold water tap has come back on since 11 this am (pressuse is good) .. Only my cold taps are working though downstairs and the toilet cistern downstairs is refilling too... No Hot taps are working downstairs or any other taps upstairs Does anyone else have this problem. Could it be an airlock?? Any answer appreicated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

cupple wrote: »
    i live on the boreenmanna road and my cold water tap has come back on since 11 this am (pressuse is good) .. Only my cold taps are working though downstairs and the toilet cistern downstairs is refilling too... No Hot taps are working downstairs or any other taps upstairs Does anyone else have this problem. Could it be an airlock?? Any answer appreicated

I have set up another thread dedicated to plumbing and heating questions in this section (Cork City), can you ask the question there, I would prefer to answer it there as people with the same problem can have an answer to read, might get lost in this post! Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cupple

items wrote: »
    I have set up another thread dedicated to plumbing and heating questions in this section (Cork City), can you ask the question there, I would prefer to answer it there as people with the same problem can have an answer to read, might get lost in this post! Cheers.

Okay will try there .. new to boards .. joined yesterday .. So i hope i get it right.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭munstercork

Dear Member,

Cork City Council has asked us to inform all our members of the following weather alert issued this afternoon by Met Eireann.

Please see below.

Regards,

Conor Healy

Severe Weather Warning

Issued by MET EIREANN.

Very windy for Tuesday with further spells of heavy rain, with some further flooding likely.

Strong southerly winds will gust 85 to 100 km/h in places.

Stormy this evening and tonight, with gusts of 120 to 130 km/h in parts of the West and North. Heavy squally and possibly thundery showers also.

Overall, rainfall totals 25 to 35 mm, highest in Southwest, West and North.

Valid from 03.00hrs on the 24th to 09.00hrs on the 25th November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 LauraMcGonigle

Cork City Council wishes to advise the media and the public that a water tanker is now operational at The Glenanaar Pub, Boreenmanna Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Motorway motor factors on the Kinsale road had large plastic water containers for sale today for 13 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I hope the guys from the council who are out day and night know there efforts are being appreciated. They have been digging and working on the Douglas Rd, all times of day and night the last few days, to get us some water.

We have water now, so do people think it is safe to wash with, or drink? It has been back now for a good while, so at least we are flushing the toilets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Does anyone else's kettle makes a different noise when boiling bottled water?
    It's so quite you can hardly hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Spindle wrote: »
    We have water now, so do people think it is safe to wash with, or drink? It has been back now for a good while, so at least we are flushing the toilets :D

I'd say washing with it is fine but I'd still boil it before drinking (at least until the council gives us the all clear - water may seem / look clean but that does not mean that is is)
    themonboys wrote: »
    Does anyone else's kettle makes a different noise when boiling bottled water?
    It's so quite you can hardly hear it.

Umm no :confused: unless you are boiling the water while it is still in the bottle :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

In reading previous posts about some businesses who are taking advantage of the crisis, I think it's good to let folks know that other businesses are trying to help. In that vein, I'd like to give a quick shout-out to Singleton Supervalu in Hollyhill, who is going door-to-door this morning handing out 2 - 2 litre bottles of water to residents. The store owner himself delivered to our terrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

shell42970 wrote: »
    In reading previous posts about some businesses who are taking advantage of the crisis, I think it's good to let folks know that other businesses are trying to help. In that vein, I'd like to give a quick shout-out to Singleton Supervalu in Hollyhill, who is going door-to-door this morning handing out 2 - 2 litre bottles of water to residents. The store owner himself delivered to our terrace.

That's really good of them. The positive PR that comes from something like that will bring them more money in future customers than they would make by increasing the water price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

shell42970 wrote: »

Its good to hear this sort of storys in times like this. The fact that the owner went out himself to deliver the water shows the guy has some bit of heart. I know that some buisnesses are selling the water at cost price or ive seen loads of stores that ballygowan gave the special offer to... 2X2l for 1.08 which is prety reasonable.

fair dues to Singletons...but only after he over charged first..he said he will donate the difference

had water with pressure this morning, hopefully will be there when i get home from work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭munstercork

A friend and business man of mine gave loads of Ballygowan to the Parochial Hall yesterday so they can give it out to needy people fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Apparently there's now a water station operating from the car park of Greenmount National School.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Right I've 3 x 5 litres of Mineral Water that I can give away to someone for free. Preferably I'd like these to get to some elderly people who couldn't carry such home themselves. First person to reply to this post confirming they can do this has them. City Centre location, can work out when to pick them up over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

Latest

Cork City Council advises public in unaffected areas to conserve water NEW (3.15pm, 25/11/09)

Cork City Council is asking members of the public in areas unaffected by the water shortages to conserve their water supply.

The Council is also appealing to schools and institutions etc. who may have automatic toilet flushing systems to ensure these are disconnected when not in use.

http://corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22259,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

nesf wrote: »
    Right I've 3 x 5 litres of Mineral Water that I can give away to someone for free. Preferably I'd like these to get to some elderly people who couldn't carry such home themselves. First person to reply to this post confirming they can do this has them. City Centre location, can work out when to pick them up over the phone.

Fair play to ya, Nesf. +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

I heard Sunday is the earliest that the water might return, anyone else hear this?

Advertisement