Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Was just playing Bomberman 2 multiplayer 60hz stlye. 1 minute time limit and it can get hectic.
    Really wanna play 8 player some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Finished FF6 tonight on the snes, amazing tbh. Chrono Trigger is next up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jaysus after those two games you'll be hard pressed to find much that lives up to either.

Play Rise of the Robots in between to set the expectation balance right again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Jaysus after those two games you'll be hard pressed to find much that lives up to either.

Play Rise of the Robots in between to set the expectation balance right again.

Or Streets of Rage and Goldenaxe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Or Streets of Rage and Goldenaxe...

Classics...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Classics...

Have to agree. Ciderman has some fixation with side scrolling beat'em ups, should really play Mutation Nation a bit more to thoroughly appreciate them :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Been playing Willow the Arcade Version. Never remembered it being so hard!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Classics...

tumblr_lwmzdeI2BP1ql5an1o1_500.gif

[Brick trident]

So this is you?
    tumblr_m6p39qu2q71ro2d43.gif
    :pac:

I still love Golden Axe. (Streets of Rage, not so much)
    Side scrolling beat-em-ups so long as they're decent, will always entertain me!
    You probably hate the idea of me playing Final Fight One on the GBA Micro...? :D

No, what you do with your Micro is your own bid'ness, I just campaign for the destruction of 90% of side scrolling beat'em ups everywhere....
    And I have 2 or 3 that I do like.... but that's about it....
    And I have to say that the one thing about Batman AA that I didn't like was, like SoR, I didn't feel always in control of Bats, many of the battles felt like QTE's, press the triangle here to see the Caped Crusader do something cool, press the same button 10 seconds later to see him do something completely different, beat up X amount of guys before being directed to the next area and repeat....
    Of course, it was still a lovely lovely game, I must get back to Batman AC, barely started it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

Just lashed on Robocop vs the Terminator for the Megadrive today, fook, the last few levels are face meltingly hard. I'll go back to columns fer an hour then give it another lash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

grumula wrote: »
    Just lashed on Robocop vs the Terminator for the Megadrive today, fook, the last few levels are face meltingly hard. I'll go back to columns fer an hour then give it another lash.

Ìt's actually a very easy game. The last few levels are manageable, from what I remember you just need to learn where the health containers are and you're laughing.

Remember to play the 'real game' version. Some of the standard version is censored (no female enemies for example)

Begin a game, then pause. Now press C, B, A, B, B, A, B, B, C, B, B, C, C, B, B, C, B, C, A, C, C, A, A, A, B, B, B, A, C, A.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fecking hate that game, it's such a bland turrican clone. Didn't stop me loving it when I was younger.

Best way to beat that game is to pick up the ED 209 gun and when you die switch weapons quickly so you don't lose it. Makes the game a breeze :P

I'll always remember that game for having the most disappointing end boss ever. I heard skynet was the last boss so was dying to see it. Was so disappointed when it was just a big terminator head.

Master of the Universe

Turrican clone? It's nothing like Turrican. What's next, AVP is a Wolfenstein clone? :p

It's a great game. Great visuals. Great music. Fun to play. Great when you're a kid with all the gore. You're mental.

I'll agree though that the last boss is incredibly underwhelming. I guess if it was a real Turrican clone they've had a giant Dolph Lundgren instead, eh?

I guess I was spoiled growing up with Gunstar Heroes, Contra and Turrican because they are all far superior games. In comparison I just find RvsT painfully bland and unrefined when it comes to the gameplay. Take out the license and it's a forgettable mediocre amiga euro shooter. All the bosses are really boring mechanically and it has that lame euro shooter thing where you have no invincibility frames when hit by an enemy.

Master of the Universe

Games have different draws though, you know?

The draw to this is a Robocop Versus The Terminator licensed game with gore. It does those things very well. Take away the license and then the game isn't the game it's meant to be.

The guns have a great impact and sense of power. You really do 'feel' like you're robocop with giant ass guns blowing people to bits.

I also really like the art. It's got some nice sprites and the colour tones are really great.

Far better looking sprite art than any other Robocop game.

robo-sprites1.gif

Started playing metal slug X
    never gave the series much time before but really enjoying it !

I suppose I don't care about game licenses, I only care about whether a game is good. It's a bit like everyone going gag gag over the latest batman games. They see the best batman licensed game ever (they'd be wrong, sunsoft batman games for the win!). I just see a half decent metroid game with naff bosses that should be relying on it's fantastic stealth gameplay rather than lame button mashing combat.

Can't help but notice that on Robocop 3 / Robocop Vs Terminator (Sega) they have him left handed... that just feels wrong!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

urbanledge wrote: »
    Started playing metal slug X
    never gave the series much time before but really enjoying it !

What?!?!!?! You have to sort that ASAP. :)

Good start with X, my second favourite after the first game. Great one to try to 1cc.
    I suppose I don't care about game licenses, I only care about whether a game is good. It's a bit like everyone going gag gag over the latest batman games. They see the best batman licensed game ever (they'd be wrong, sunsoft batman games for the win!). I just see a half decent metroid game with naff bosses that should be relying on it's fantastic stealth gameplay rather than lame button mashing combat.

We had this conversation before though about the scale of a game's 'goodness'.

It's not just 'crap' and 'amazing' - there's a whole scale in between that.

Crap/poor/mediocre/good/very good/pinnacle of gaming achievement.

There are a lot of games which fall into the top category, however you don't have to focus on playing them exclusively. I don't sit down to watch Citizen Kane every time I want to watch a film.

Robocop Versus The Terminator is good for a quick blast of gratuitous silly action. Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, Contra Hard Corps are too (and are far better) but you know, variety is the spice of life and all that! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Robocop 3 on the Amiga was pretty cool, a complete departure to the above in that it was first person. Had some nifty driving sections too.

Master of the Universe

Never played that one! Will give it a blast.

Reminds me of the first Terminator game for the PC. FPS free roaming game with 3D rendered environments. Mad to think it was released in 1990.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Robocop Versus The Terminator is good for a quick blast of gratuitous silly action. Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, Contra Hard Corps are too (and are far better) but you know, variety is the spice of life and all that! ;)

I'm not saying it's crap. It's bland and mediocre but it's hardly a broken unplayable mess.

Master of the Universe

Fecking hate that game...
    I'm not saying it's crap. .

Consistency dude, consistency!!! :pac:

Consistency dude, consistency!!! :pac:

Hate is inherently irrational :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

I'm continuing to play MGS2 and continuing to be unfathomably rubbish at it. Case in point : wondering why I couldn't find bombs then realising I hadn't equipped the sensor for over half an hour.

And why is Raiden's VO artist one of the most infuriatingly bad I've heard?!

I'm continuing to play MGS2 and continuing to be unfathomably rubbish at it. Case in point : wondering why I couldn't find bombs then realising I hadn't equipped the sensor for over half an hour.

And why is Raiden's VO artist one of the most infuriatingly bad I've heard?!

He's a fantastic voice actor. However it's hard to act well when you have such a terrible script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've been binging on the sims 3 over the last few days. Think I still prefer the sims 2 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Sunk around 20 hours into Binding of Isaac........still without a single endgame, never mind a clear. I can't figure out why it has the framerate issues it does, but it strikes nigh-on unplayable as soon as there's more than 4 things happening on screen. Yet, oddly, I cannot stop playing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've been playing some Spelunky whenever I have a spare half hour or so. I can easily see how I could sink dozens of hours into it without either noticing or succeeding.

I continue to be enthralled by Papers, Please which is the closest I've come to a straight up masterpiece in a while (although the delightful Gone Home comes close). Its smart writing, thematic depth and gameplay are so harmonious it is actually quite exhilarating to see what can be done by a developer who manages to weave often disparate elements together. Not bad for a bureaucracy simulator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

Trying to burn through 14 or so megadrive games before it's returned to abandonment in the attic, going through x-men at the mo.
    Fairly standard side scrolly stuff, graphics are okay, combat is kinda meh, soundtrack is pretty cool, 4 characters are fairly interchangeable, some of the level designs are kinda moronic (on the muir island lighthouse stage if you play as nightcrawler and walk to the right of the screen and teleport into the elevator you can bypass the whole level).
    but for all that one thing really stood out,
    Do i really have to announce spoilers for a sega megadrive release?

in the penultimate level when you have cleared the simulation (the whole game takes place in the danger room, each stage is a computer generated training program)- professor x appears to you telepathically and tells you "we have to reset the computer" as the room slowly explodes (on a timer) and leaves you to die.
    you had to push the reset button on the megadrive, no wonder child me never made it past that stage, that is some hideo kojima-esque crap right there!

anyone else have any comparable stories of playing back through something decades later only to spot the rather unfair solution??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

grumula wrote: »
    Trying to burn through 14 or so megadrive games before it's returned to abandonment in the attic, going through x-men at the mo.
    Fairly standard side scrolly stuff, graphics are okay, combat is kinda meh, soundtrack is pretty cool, 4 characters are fairly interchangeable, some of the level designs are kinda moronic (on the muir island lighthouse stage if you play as nightcrawler and walk to the right of the screen and teleport into the elevator you can bypass the whole level).
    but for all that one thing really stood out,
    Do i really have to announce spoilers for a sega megadrive release?

in the penultimate level when you have cleared the simulation (the whole game takes place in the danger room, each stage is a computer generated training program)- professor x appears to you telepathically and tells you "we have to reset the computer" as the room slowly explodes (on a timer) and leaves you to die.
    you had to push the reset button on the megadrive, no wonder child me never made it past that stage, that is some hideo kojima-esque crap right there!

anyone else have any comparable stories of playing back through something decades later only to spot the rather unfair solution??
    Yes. Sonic R. My simple solution to alot of it's problems is throwing it in the bin, setting the bin on fire, burning my entire house down and probably hitting the neighbour's place too.

It's worth it though just to rid myself of that game.

Master of the Universe

Sonic R is yet another **** game I'd thankfully missed out on until Retr0 forced me to play it at a beers.

He's like the Josef Fritzl of A&R - locks you up with **** games and won't let you leave :(

Master of the Universe

stewie-gun-suicide-o.gif

Can't I find no one else here to love Sonic R, I enjoyed it, some of the effects were nice and, feck it, I enjoyed it!

Master of the Universe

Can't I find no one else here to love Sonic R, I enjoyed it, some of the effects were nice and, feck it, I enjoyed it!

This is becoming a bit of a theme with you, isn't it? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Still playing Darius Burst, Burst Mode is is so incredibly good that I think it should be the main selling point of the game. The trade off in Burst is that the laser meter replenishes over time along with shooting enemies ,there are a lot more enemies and you only have one life. It really shows off the versatility of the detachable laser and for me Burst is as close to G-Darius goodness as we'll see :)

This player is awesome and makes great use of the mechanic:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

You might be joining his ranks soon with your recent Dino Rex purchase. :eek:

Did you defile your cab yet with it?

Yeah, and to cap it all, when I bought the new copy of Edge today the only one of the 20th anniversary covers they had was the Halo one!

True story!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    You might be joining his ranks soon with your recent Dino Rex purchase. :eek:

Did you defile your cab yet with it?

Hah! True that - Ive a bit of a love for spectacularly bad games. At least I dont try to con myself that theyre good though :pac:

Venturing out to pick it up over the weekend. Along with PGM The Gladiator, GNET Puzzle Bobble, Final Fantasy VI and that other snes Rpg I got which name escapes me!

Playing a bit of Terra Diver aka Sōkyūgurentai at the mo. Good shooter but I do find the 3d-ness of it a bit distracting, more accustomed to the old 2d types I guess

Master of the Universe

Level 1 is a bit reminiscent of early ps1/Saturn 3D games, there's a lot of 3D going on here.

However from level 2 on it gets far more 2D.

The whole of level 3 is one of my favourite levels in a game ever. It's just epic, from start to finish.

I'll spend a bit more time and virtual coins on it so :)

Master of the Universe

Noooooo 1cc or nothing! :D

Master of the Universe

FF VI in the Snes and good to go. Was going to change the battery, but it already came with saves, so I reckon if it held out for 20 years it'll last another month :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I started playing Super Mario 3D Land this morning. I wanted a Mario game for the 3DS and was between that and New Mario Bros 2 but when I saw the price difference (3D Land - €20 and New Mario was €45) the decision was made for me :) It's a fun game so far. Completed the first world on my morning commute.

I haven't really used the 3DS too much apart from when on Holiday last year but I want to start playing it more often now.

Master of the Universe

Mario 3D Land is an absolute blast - NSMB2 is very very 'meh'. You made the right choice :)

Now, get the new Fire Emblem game next. Brilliant so it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I picked up Resident Evil Revelations on sale earlier this year for €10 so that's next. I have heard very good things about Fire Emblem so it's definitely on the radar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

FF VI in the Snes and good to go. Was going to change the battery, but it already came with saves, so I reckon if it held out for 20 years it'll last another month :)

Just finished it there a week ago, was dreading the saves too! At one point every time I went on the overworld map my characters kept walking up, on all 3 saves! It didn't happen in villages. This was like 30 hours into it, was sure my saves were corrupted! Turned out to be dust or something in the controller port, very strange :eek:

Advertisement