Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Videogames biggest myth is that Contra on the NES is actually a hard game. The 30 man code really isn't needed at all.

I sat down to play it at 1.30 and on my first go had gotten to the stage 7 the second last level. A few more goes (mostly because the NES exclusive stages 6 and 7 are quite tough) and I eventually had it beat at 2.30 and didn't use a credit on my final run through. I actually found the game a breeze compared to most other NES titles.

It's still a classic though!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I beat the first world of the special stages and havnt picked up the game since. Must finish it off soon.

I'm still playing the new Deus Ex, really one of the best games to come out of last year I think

The first part of that game is close to New Super Mario Bros on the DS difficulty. Consider it just a warm up for the rest of the game. You really should play through the second half.

A cool thing about the second half is you need a certain amount of star coins to get access to levels. So you end up going back and really trying your best to get them all. It really starts getting difficult when you've collected all the coins in the first half and need to start getting them from the second.

So the closer you get to the end of the game, the more hair you end up pulling out to get those more difficult coins so you can access the final levels.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Videogames biggest myth is that Contra on the NES is actually a hard game. The 30 man code really isn't needed at all.

I sat down to play it at 1.30 and on my first go had gotten to the stage 7 the second last level. A few more goes (mostly because the NES exclusive stages 6 and 7 are quite tough) and I eventually had it beat at 2.30 and didn't use a credit on my final run through. I actually found the game a breeze compared to most other NES titles.

yeah you're right, it's not actually that hard. I had a blast of it a while ago when I still had my NES out and was suprised how easy it was to get far into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Zelda addiction has set in. Skyward Sword is another Nintendo masterpiece. Absolutely huge game too.

'Reading' Nine Persons, Nine hours, Nine Doors too. Interesting and generally well written, even if it contains the most absurdly efficient blind character ever. Even Zatoichi wasn't that good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Playing a spot of G-Darius and Ray Storm this morning, after plugging the arrangement into the Sony CRT.
    Look great and plays even better.
    I suck at G-Darius though!
    I have the original and version 2 here, anyone care to let me know the difference?

Also, played a spot of Halo Anniversary and very good it remains.
    In retrospect on Reach has come close to the feel of the original game.
    I look forward to finishing it all over again!

Master of the Universe

That post was full of so much win with the G-NET..

Then you just had to mention Halo :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't worry, he just hasn't reached the Flood levels yet where he'll no doubt turn the game off and never come back to it. Either that or he'llget confused by the circular level design.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No, I will just love the Flood levels all the more.

The Flood, the Jar Jar Binks of the Halo universe :( (and I love them!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Flood, the Jar Jar Binks of the Halo universe :( (and I love them!)

You heard it here people. Loves Jar Jar Binks. Hates Streets of Rage.

Hmm, allow me to correct myself and say...

I despise Jar Jar Binks, dislike the first prequel in the main, but enjoyed the pod racing, space battles and sabre fights, pretty much everything but the script and 80% of the acting was fun....

I like the Flood, that is the use of the Flood as a game changer in the game, the close quarters shotgun action etc, happening upon a battle between Covenant and Flood, nipping in later and taking out the stragglers...
    I don't like them in a sense of inviting them around for a coffee, perhaps think of a family together....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

G92AB.jpg

I'm on the final round of missions in IL2 - Birds of Prey. They Gerry's are surrounded in Berlin, victory, shall me mine. Tally ho!

Only Blazing Angels 1 & 2 left, that should leave me all WW2'd out till next Christmas' viewing of Saving Private Ryan.

Do you have "Secret Weapons Over Normandy"?
    The one made by Totally Games, the company behind X-Wing and Tie Fighter?
    It's all kinds of awesome, not much a sim mind you but lots of fun.
    It is getting hard to track down, however, although I have seen it going for less than a tenner in Gamestop, on occasion.

Master of the Universe

This is a genre of game I always mean to try out more. The only flight sim type game I really ever play is Propeller Arena on the DC.

Tried Microsoft Flight Sim X when I got my new lappy a few months ago and jesus christ, it was comical to watch. Took me an age to figure out how to take off. When I finally did, my plane had this constant urge to try and crash.

Blazing Angels 1 & 2 look pretty nice, think I'll give em a go.

I don't like the Blazing Angels games at all, they feel like they are all about the looks but the gameplay was missing.
    Don't know why I dislike them so much, just do :(
    Ace Combat games are a bit like "point the crosshairs here and press the action button" but they look great, the HAWK games stick like week old nappies.
    See if you can "procure" the Flight Unlimited games, the first one might be hard to run these days but the 2nd and the 3rd are great and act as map packs for each other, the visuals are spectacular, or at least were when I bought them, and you can fly a seaplane so no messing about with runways!
    Warhawk on the PS2 is good fun, nice flying action there, only problem is when you are forced to use ground vehicles and they're are universally dung.
    Jet de Go looks like fun, I think it's on the PSP, Densha De Go but with planes.

Meh, console flight sims. Only decent one there is Flight Unlimited. What you need is some Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance and Freespace.

Master of the Universe

What I was getting at more were PC based flight sims. Stuff with complex controls. There's a place for console games like Air Combat, but I wouldn't mind trying something with a bit more realism.

A while back I was interested in getting one of those head tracking headsets as apparantly it works with Microsoft Flight Sim X. VR in a cockpit just sounded too cool.

That dream soon died though when I actually tried to play the damn game :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's almost closer to Afterburner than a flight sim, but played the demo for the most recent Ace Combat game and its actually good cheesy fun. I see it's reduced already everywhere, so may have to pick it up for some ludicrous dogfights.

Meh, console flight sims. Only decent one there is Flight Unlimited. What you need is some Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance and Freespace.

Zero interest in anything set remotely in the modern era. I like the character of the WW2 era, & the planes etc. Also the good games have re-enactments of the real historical battles, I think IL2 does anyway.

What console is Flight Unlimited on?

o1s1n wrote: »
    What I was getting at more were PC based flight sims. Stuff with complex controls. There's a place for console games like Air Combat, but I wouldn't mind trying something with a bit more realism.

A while back I was interested in getting one of those head tracking headsets as apparantly it works with Microsoft Flight Sim X. VR in a cockpit just sounded too cool.

That dream soon died though when I actually tried to play the damn game :D

There's a steep learning curve when you go down the sim route. I remember about two years or so ago I got fairly proficient with MS Flight Sim X & flew a 737 from Paris to Dublin in real time. I'd say supply of sick bags needed to be replenished but I did it :o

A decent flight stick is a must, using sims with a keyboard is a complete waste of time.

There's also these incredible home-made cockpit rigs that heavy duty sim'ers build, at great cost I'd say but how fecking awesome are these!

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    What console is Flight Unlimited on?

Only on PC.

Ace Combat also has the best QTE ever:

Saw a guy, back in '97, heading into a cybercafe with a pilots shirt, complete with epaulettes, and a whole bunch of rolled paper maps under his arm.
    Turns out he was in a virtual airline and was due to fly, in real time, to London, with ground and airtraffic controllers, the lot!

People
    Are
    Mental.

Saw a guy, back in '97, heading into a cybercafe with a pilots shirt, complete with epaulettes, and a whole bunch of rolled paper maps under his arm.
    Turns out he was in a virtual airline and was due to fly, in real time, to London, with ground and airtraffic controllers, the lot!

People
    Are
    Mental.

Says the man with a giant Mario standing watch at his front gates :D

Do they still call them Cybercafes?
    Don't think so.
    Now they seem like small, sweaty shops selling online time to emigrants getting their Starcraft 2 fix...

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm on the final round of missions in IL2 - Birds of Prey. They Gerry's are surrounded in Berlin, victory, shall me mine. Tally ho!

Only Blazing Angels 1 & 2 left, that should leave me all WW2'd out till next Christmas' viewing of Saving Private Ryan.

And Berlin is free. Peace once again, returns to mainland Europe.

It was probably touch and go there for a while Enternow..
    Makes you wonder what the Allies would have done without you!!

I wonder if it's like The Last Starfighter?
    Is a time door going to open and you are going to be recruited into some sort of temporal flying corp?
    Send us a postcard last week to let us know!

It was probably touch and go there for a while Enternow..
    Makes you wonder what the Allies would have done without you!!

I wonder if it's like The Last Starfighter?
    Is a time door going to open and you are going to be recruited into some sort of temporal flying corp?
    Send us a postcard last week to let us know!

Well by now that postcard should be pretty old, have a look in your storage areas for a postcard from a dashing young pilot surrounded by broads entitled:

Dear Ciderman

Whatever you do, don't play Doom!

Regards
    Flight Lieutenant E. Now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just having a bash of Soul Calibur on the iPad 2. It just came out so I said I'd give it a go. It's fairly decent I have to say, for an iOS fighter.
    Controls are about as good as can be expected but can be moved anywhere on-screen and you can even change the opacity which is nice. Rumour has it iCade support is coming as well which will add to it. Seems to be running at a solid 60fps as well.

Bit pricey at €9.99 but I loved the game on the DC so said feck it.

Few pics and vids(sorry if pics are big but I'm posting direct from the iPad):

soul1k.png

soul2.png

Or, controversially, just get it on the DC!
    Just thought I'd throw that one out there, revolutionary I know [/sarcasm]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Or, controversially, just get it on the DC!
    Just thought I'd throw that one out there, revolutionary I know [/sarcasm]

It's what Dr. King would have wanted!

Advertisement