Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

This is definitely one to play after a few Retro Forum Beers if it hasn't be done already!!

Especially on the harder levels where numerous things interfere with your flight path,
    as if the alcohol in your system isn't enough interference as it is ! :pac:

Had a good laugh playing it today, such a fun game and with so much stuff to keep it interesting.

HEY TAXI!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Playing Sol-Feace on the Multi-Mega.
    A very average game if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you're looking for a good Mega CD Shmup, give Robo Aleste a bash. Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Super off road!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Struggling though Silent Hill: Homecoming this evening.

It starts off horribly but has gotten a little better... Controls are horrible.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Almost at the end of RE Revelations (I think).

The longer it goes on, the more it turns into a standard shooter and the more disappointed I get :(

Really bloody annoying as it started off great, looks fantastic, has a brilliant mood, felt like an old style RE game, limiting bullets, genuine scare etc...

But a while ago it took a nose dive and for the last few hours I've literally just been running around with guns blazing and watching FMV with a storyline as stupid as something Hideo Kojima would write.
    (miniguns on helicopters? seriously? This isn't ****ing COD!!!)
    /Yawn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally finished Skyward Sword. I did really like the game even if it was no where near as good as the best zelda has to offer. The handholding and railroading was very much to its detriment but there was enough great moments to make it a great experience. Definitely not worth the ridiculously high review scores from some media outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Playing quite a lot of Columns on the game gear

Cant believe how much i enjoyed that game and still do:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scody94

at this present moment in time , im playing pink panther goes to hollywood , loved this game :p

Master of the Universe

Finished RE Revelations last night. Overall an enjoyable experience, but at the same time a let down as it felt like it could have been so much better.

That fancy XE-1 ST2 stick arrived yesterday, so I'd imagine over the next few weeks my time is going to be taken up with lots of Megadrive shmups! Have a bit of a problem though - finally have a great stick for the console, Everdrive to load with games...but am stuck with the 50hz console I found the other day!

Tried playing it during the week and my god, it's funny to laugh at how slow 50hz is when you have your modded consoles standing by..but when they're packed away it's just down right awful.

• Advertisement

I just finished work on my latest cab and have been stuck into Street Fighter 2 Turbo Hyper Fighting on it for the last few days.

I loved it when it was out in the arcades, and i remembered it as one of the best iterations in the long line of street fighter games. Playing it again properly after 18 years or so (eek) only reinforces that. It's a brilliant fighter, even if the CPU is mega-cheap!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Having a look at other games to try on the Tate Tv and so stuck on a spot of Ikaruga on the GC and Gunbird from the PS2 version, both excellent fun.
    There definitely seems to be some interference in the image from the regular consoles, now they are all via composite, save your curses for later, but the image is dreadful.
    I don't know if it's down to some faulty connections, poor grounding or simply that wiring 15 consoles up together on the same video feed is going to have consequences in the area of image quality.
    I will have to investigate further, with more games!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    or simply that wiring 15 consoles up together on the same video feed is going to have consequences in the area of image quality.

As convenient & logistical as that is, it must be affecting quality in some way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But it is so damn convenient!
    I can live it with it, damn it!
    At some point I'll have to install as many RGB AV cables as possible, see if that improves matters.
    The G-Net is lovely and crisp though, XII Stag looks the business, as does Psyvariar

Oh, seeing as Shmups are getting under my skin in a not unpleasant way right now I have been hunting through the collection for every shooer I can find to have a blast.
    And in the main things have been pretty positive, given that I like pretty much everything I buy anyways.
    Til now that is.
    In the Gamesroom, banging through a few different games, realised as I played some Tempest 2000 on the Jag that I have the lovely Raiden on it!
    Happy days!
    Raiden has always been my goto Shmup and I wondered why it was so, so long since I booted this cart up.
    The reason is, it's utter sh1te.
    Music is awful and not paced right,
    The visuals are awful with the right third of the screen taken up by a HUD.
    The bosses are dreadful facsimiles of the proper ones and the visuals are poorly animated with a terrible frame-rate.
    Not good, not good at all.

Tried Cybermorph as well, while I was there, needless to say I won't be trying that out again either!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    At some point I'll have to install as many RGB AV cables as possible, see if that improves matters.

I'll give you an answer right now. It will improve matters enormously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I haven't been on these forums for a while as I haven't bought or played very much retro for ages! :( Like half the country I'm broke, and when I'm not broke I'm finding more important things to put money towards (bills, etc.). So very little disposable income for me then, outside of the normal outlay I have for the must own modern titles.

I did get one game though recently of note - a minty mint copy of Fighters History Dynamite for the Neo Geo AES. Its the first homecart I had bought in two years. Its was cheap at just €29.99 from the Tokyo Toy Factory on eBay. Shipping was about €23 and no import tax thankfully. The game is in perfect condition - like its brand new. It came with baggies and whatnot leading me to think its new old stock. The game plays very well too and was well worth the money.

I got a PS3 for Christmas and have been enjoying the likes of Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 for it. Rage is also amazing in single player after a really bad start. I have also got out my 3DS again recently and picked up Mario Kart 7, which is excellent, and I got the wonderous Super Mario 3D Land a couple of days ago - a gorgeous looking game with superb level designs and highly enjoyable gameplay. I like the Galaxy titles but much prefer my Mario set in or around the good old Mushroom Kingdom, and in 2D preferably. There are loads of nostalgic elements and modern influences in the game, its a 3D game but it has all the charm and precision of a 2D Mario romp of old. I can't get enough of it and don't want it to end :(
    End game is apparently quite good though.....

I also picked up The Last Story for the Wii. €45 new for the LE in HMV, though it may be sold out by now. After a rather confusing start the game has turned out to be a superb role-player. Get it now before it goes crazy prices on fleabay!

I just played DoDonpachi for the first time. Amazing shooter. It went straight on to the favourites menu after one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

Oracle of Ages - Zelda on gbc emul on my samsung! Very good, graphics almost up to snes standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars on DS, great game.

Playing through Zelda Ocarina of Time on 3DS again aswell as Mario3DLand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

pdbhp wrote: »
    Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars on DS, great game.

Playing through Zelda Ocarina of Time on 3DS again aswell as Mario3DLand.

I started a 3DS fund for myself this week, decided I need to play Mario 3D Land and Ocarina. Everyone keeps talking about MArio and I never played Ocarina so its about time I did.

oh and I hated China town wars, drive from one side to the map and back again, over and over.

Thinking of getting a 3DS soon myself. Does anyone know if the region lock out affects multiplayer as well, like can you not play multiplayer games with people from different regions? Thinking of getting a US one but this might be a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Played Sunset Riders on Arcade tonight and finished it. Easy out but some great comedy in it, always brings a smile to my face.

Also never played it before and thought id hate it,
    But stuck Puzzle Bubble MVS into my new Jamma Cab and its unreal.

God that game is addictive as tetris was... Its unreal, cant walk away from it...
    And this is with an MVS 1 Slot with no sound and its still great fun :)
    Anyones not played it, highly recommend. Cant believe I hadnt until now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

kevin2me wrote: »
    Played Sunset Riders on Arcade tonight and finished it. Easy out but some great comedy in it, always brings a smile to my face.

Also never played it before and thought id hate it,
    But stuck Puzzle Bubble MVS into my new Jamma Cab and its unreal.

God that game is addictive as tetris was... Its unreal, cant walk away from it...
    And this is with an MVS 1 Slot with no sound and its still great fun :)
    Anyones not played it, highly recommend. Cant believe I hadnt until now :)

Marry me to my money

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Marry me to my money

haha this APP for that... or sud I say Site
    http://sunsetriders.ytmnd.com/

kevin2me wrote: »
    Easy out but some great comedy in it, always brings a smile to my face.

Easy? I find its easy when your can credit dump, in the arcades though it was a 20p monster.
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Marry me to my money

Is it not Bury Me With My Money? :D

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »

Is it not Bury Me With My Money? :D

http://burymewithmymoney.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

If you liked Sunset Riders, try Mystic Warriors. Mystic Warriors is a very similar game to Sunset Riders. They both utilise the same arcade hardware. If you haven't played it, it is highly recommended.

Its basically the same game with Ninjas and a different plot. I reckon that it is a little bit better than Sunset Riders, and I grew up on Sunset Riders.

Aladdin on the GBA, not a direct SNES port as I had thought because there's additional levels. It's damned good though. Music is a bit of a let down though.

• Advertisement

sengoku wrote: »
    If you liked Sunset Riders, try Mystic Warriors. Mystic Warriors is a very similar game to Sunset Riders. They both utilise the same arcade hardware. If you haven't played it, it is highly recommended.

Ya Enternow, easy when playing credits :) And I was on a Speed run thru it.

Awesome stuff!!! This game looks Fab and on that youtube you can see Sunset Riders playing in Cinema Drive :) Great Animations. Cant believe I havent even heard of this game before, never like... definitely going to play this during the week.

Also want to spend proper time this month and play through Ninja Baseball Bat Man , and few main Beat'em ups like, Shinobi, Strider, Final Fight, X-Men, Avengers and Turtles :) Fun times ahead ...

Advertisement