Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best contraceptive for you?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Kimia.

I went off the pill 2 and a half years ago after 9 years on it. I started when I was 19. There were a few things that may help you.

- Sex was so much better off the hormones. Sex drive went right up and it was much easier. It's like I never really knew what my body was like without the pill and I assumed it was naturally how it was when I was on the pill. I was delighted to find out that it wasn't the case but felt a bit cheated out of the 9 years at the same time.
    - My cycles were epically long. 80+ days. That's very hard to take if you're not trying for a baby and wondering what's going on. In fact my cycles didn't settle before I got pregnant so I don't know how long they would have taken. For this reason I'd definitely advise keeping track of your cervical mucous to give you an indication of when you ovulated so you'll know if you're actually late.

I dunno if I'll ever use hormonal contraception again. We use condoms now and with the improved sex drive there's no problem with the feel of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Kimia.

I went off the pill 2 and a half years ago after 9 years on it. I started when I was 19. There were a few things that may help you.

- Sex was so much better off the hormones. Sex drive went right up and it was much easier. It's like I never really knew what my body was like without the pill and I assumed it was naturally how it was when I was on the pill. I was delighted to find out that it wasn't the case but felt a bit cheated out of the 9 years at the same time.
    - My cycles were epically long. 80+ days. That's very hard to take if you're not trying for a baby and wondering what's going on. In fact my cycles didn't settle before I got pregnant so I don't know how long they would have taken. For this reason I'd definitely advise keeping track of your cervical mucous to give you an indication of when you ovulated so you'll know if you're actually late.

I dunno if I'll ever use hormonal contraception again. We use condoms now and with the improved sex drive there's no problem with the feel of them.

Thats like an elephant menstrual cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Has anyone on here tried the patch?? I got a prescription for it a few weeks ago, and am just waiting to use it now. I've not seen anyone anywhere mention they've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

hacked wrote: »
    Has anyone on here tried the patch?? I got a prescription for it a few weeks ago, and am just waiting to use it now. I've not seen anyone anywhere mention they've tried it.

Came here to see has anyone mentioned it too, surprised they havent. I've been on it about a year now and its fantastic...just stick it to your bum and change it once a week, no pills to remember and no injections or putting things inside you. I had an implant for a year and a half and it was hell, periods every other week, i was one of the unlucky ones who got the bad effects. Went on the patch then and havent looked back :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

montane wrote: »
    Thats like an elephant menstrual cycle

A lot of women, myself included, are surprised by that after coming off the pill. It's more common than not to have very long cycles as your body adjusts to the lack of hormones. Mine were particularly long but 50+ days seems to be what a lot of women encounter. It took me 6 months to get pregnant but that was only the third cycle.

• Advertisement

Noo wrote: »
    Came here to see has anyone mentioned it too, surprised they havent. I've been on it about a year now and its fantastic...just stick it to your bum and change it once a week, no pills to remember and no injections or putting things inside you. I had an implant for a year and a half and it was hell, periods every other week, i was one of the unlucky ones who got the bad effects. Went on the patch then and havent looked back :D

Thanks!! Yeah I thought it sounded like a good option for me, because I can stop it immidiately if it doesnt suit, but I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday.

Do you find the bum the best place to put it? And do you find it ok enough to use on its own without a condom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I'm very paranoid when it comes to that so i havent tried yet, maybe in a few years when i'm not too freaked out about having a baby then i'll try haha. Thats just me but it has the same protection as any other hormonal contraceptive so just do what you would do if you were on the pill etc.

Bum is definitely the best, no one ever sees it there. I've been in bikinis with it, if you put it in the right place its grand. It might take a few weeks/patches to find the spot thats just right, you'll understand when you start using it, tends to crease and slide a bit but like anything once you get used to how it behaves its just the best. Its great for periods too, just like clockwork, i can name the days they will start and end :) unlike that damn implant :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I have the implant for over a year now and its fantastic, was on the injection for a year before that. Cant use the combined pill because of family history of Breast cancer and the mini pill turned me into a psycho and awfully anemic due to periods every two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Been on the pill for a couple of years for medical reasons, never had any kind of problem with it. I always use condoms too, even when I know I've taken my pill right. Really don't want a baby so doubling up on contraceptives just keeps my mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

On the pill since I was 16, I had to come off it when I first turned 19 due to medical reasons but I'm back on it now. I've never had a problem with it I also use condoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I was on the pill for two years and was just so awful at taking it! I was constantly paranoid about getting pregnant and always used condoms with it even though I hated them.
    Then I decided to get the implant. Coming up to three years on it now and Ive had very little bad experience with it! So handy not having to remember to take something every morning, spontaneous sex is never a problem and no periods are a godsend! The only downside is when I go get the occasional period, I REALLY get it!! :o

Getting my new implant inserted next month. Never use condoms with it and Im not knocked up yet so Im fairly confident with it :)

Ah girls! Now yis have me all paranoid. Do many of you feel comftorable using oral contraceptives without condoms? As I said in my previous posts, I'm going on the patch until I can afford to get the implant. The main reason for this is because i don't want to use condoms, I feel them too much, and atfer a while they can make me quite sore (and there's no lube problem!). I figured the patch would be safer, as im constantly getting the hormones each week, theres no chance of forgetting to take a pill or peeing it out or anything! Or would you still advise using condoms?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mlumley - this thread is for women to share their experiences of various contraceptive methods, not for you to try and make a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Mlumley - this thread is for women to share their experiences of various contraceptive methods, not for you to try and make a joke.

Then I sincearly apoligise if you cant take a little bit of light hearted banter. It was not ment to offend any one. I was sincerly interested in the topic, and did not relise you would be so offended by what I put, and just take it as it was ment, a light hearted comment. Sorry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mlumley wrote: »
    Then I sincearly apoligise if you cant take a little bit of light hearted banter. It was not ment to offend any one. I was sincerly interested in the topic, and did not relise you would be so offended by what I put, and just take it as it was ment, a light hearted comment. Sorry.

Mlumley, can you please read the charter before you post again?

Thanks
    Stheno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

I'm on Yasmin at the moment and after an initial rocky start with Yasminelle, it's been great for the past year and a half. Cleared up my skin, no weight gain, regular periods for the first time ever, with just the occasional spotting.

However, I am terrible with timing! I'm lucky if I manage to take it each day at all, let alone at the same time. It's the only contraception I use with my boyfriend, as I dislike condoms because I find them quite painful and uncomfortable, and so far, we haven't had any babies, so all good.

I'm thinking of switching to Implanon and am going to ask my doctor about it again this month. I've read plenty about the benefits/side effects and feel confident enough that I want to try it, I'm just not sure about cost! How much does it cost to have inserted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I was on Dianette for a year and a half, went on it for my skin problems but used it as contraception as well. However, my weight slowly but steadily went up, my boobs practically exploded!!, and I experienced serious highs and lows depending on my time of the month. I went to a different doctor two months ago to review my situation and she told me it was illiegal to be on Dianette for more than 6 months and she didnt know how id been getting the repeat prescriptions! Furthermore, because of the weight gain, my BMI had been well pushed up so that I was now bordering on the cut-off point where the pill is no longer advisable.
    After I came off it, I felt my weight drop a bit, though it hasn't gone down dramatically, but then I have spent the last month or so doing my final exams and reckon that a summer of work will get me going. But on the inside I'm feeling much better, my emotions are balancing out.
    We're back to using condoms now, which is fine at the mo but I think I'd like to figure out something else in the future - maybe the diaphragm or some other for of barrier contraception, as I don't think hormonal craic is for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I've been on the depo injection for just over 2 years. Absolutely love it!! Had some spotting etc at the start but that died off. After my first ever injection I had an awful headache for the rest of the day but that's as far as the side effects went.

Important to be aware that the hormones can stay in your system for a very long time after you decide to come off it. My doctor said it can be up to a year before you get your regular cycle back again. I didn't mind this because I was 19 when I started on it so kids were (and are) right at the back of my mind. I will probably stay on it for another year or two, and then consider swapping to the pill or something because I've heard long term use can cause brittle bones etc.

I am really curious as to what my "normal" sex drive would be..or if the hormones effect my moods but I think that's really how I am etc. I'm not overly happy about injecting myself with hormones every 3 months, but it has worked for me so far - no side effects, no baby! I pay 50euro every 3 months for it which I think is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

xxshebeexx wrote: »

I'm thinking of switching to Implanon and am going to ask my doctor about it again this month. I've read plenty about the benefits/side effects and feel confident enough that I want to try it, I'm just not sure about cost! How much does it cost to have inserted?

Hey,
    well you need to get a perscription from your doc first for it, most chemists, if they dont stock it, can get it in within a few days depending on where you live.
    It cost 395 euro last time i got it, but if you are on the drug payment scheme you only pay 120euro & the rest of your meds are free for that month. It seems alot of money but if it suits you then it lasts 3 years so personally I felt it was worth it!
    then its just your usual dr fee on top!
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

careymary wrote: »
    Hey,
    well you need to get a perscription from your doc first for it, most chemists, if they dont stock it, can get it in within a few days depending on where you live.
    It cost 395 euro last time i got it, but if you are on the drug payment scheme you only pay 120euro & the rest of your meds are free for that month. It seems alot of money but if it suits you then it lasts 3 years so personally I felt it was worth it!
    then its just your usual dr fee on top!
    Good luck!

Great, thanks! I was getting anything from 100-400 by googling, so it's good to have a better idea! The fact that it lasts three years makes it less expensive than the pill, even though it's all upfront - will definitely be chatting to my doctor about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭kingelmo

The Cool wrote: »
    I was on Dianette for a year and a half, went on it for my skin problems but used it as contraception as well. However, my weight slowly but steadily went up, my boobs practically exploded!!, and I experienced serious highs and lows depending on my time of the month. I went to a different doctor two months ago to review my situation and she told me it was illiegal to be on Dianette for more than 6 months and she didnt know how id been getting the repeat prescriptions! Furthermore, because of the weight gain, my BMI had been well pushed up so that I was now bordering on the cut-off point where the pill is no longer advisable.
    After I came off it, I felt my weight drop a bit, though it hasn't gone down dramatically, but then I have spent the last month or so doing my final exams and reckon that a summer of work will get me going. But on the inside I'm feeling much better, my emotions are balancing out.
    We're back to using condoms now, which is fine at the mo but I think I'd like to figure out something else in the future - maybe the diaphragm or some other for of barrier contraception, as I don't think hormonal craic is for me.

are u serious???

Iv been on it since i was 15 due to ache problems as well, wanted it to be cleared up for my sisters wedding, stayed on Dianette up untill a month ago(now aged 20)

Had no problems at the start found it great but after about 2 years, i turned into a demon.. Could love you one min and kill you the next, i was like a rat 24/7, snapping at everyone, no sex drive, my boyfriend was getting really pissy over that.. my weight went through the roof even though i was eating the same as i used to.. Any time i went to doc for repeat perscription he would just write me a new one.. Never once took my blood pressure..

Changed to Microlight a month ago.. can see a dramatic change.. weight is rolling off me, in way better form. Im back to the old me!! Bubbly and outgoing!! No mood swings!!:D yeah!!

Everyone is even seeing a change in me... i was a depressed nut job when i was on dianette but i would seriously reccommend changing from Dianette to anyone who is on it.. I really dont think its good for you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I was on the pill for years but the headaches I was getting was worrying my gp so I switched to implanon, the headaches have gone thank god, but it hasnt regulated anything :mad:

Has anyone else had the same problem? I thought it would settle down after three months, so then I thought it would settle after 6. Here I am 8 months later with no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

kingelmo wrote: »
    Everyone is even seeing a change in me... i was a depressed nut job when i was on dianette but i would seriously reccommend changing from Dianette to anyone who is on it.. I really dont think its good for you!!!

The strange thing is each pill seems to affect people differently. A previous poster described Yasmin as being particularly awful for her, but I've been on it for years without a single problem or side-effect. Extremely light periods, no pains, no PMS! Others must be ok with Dianette or it wouldn't be available!

A doctor once tried to tell me that there was no difference between pills and that any one has the same hormones in it. She basically implied that people who behaved in an unusually hormonal way while on one pill, but not on another was...emm...making it up or it was in their head :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Malari wrote: »
    A doctor once tried to tell me that there was no difference between pills and that any one has the same hormones in it. She basically implied that people who behaved in an unusually hormonal way while on one pill, but not on another was...emm...making it up or it was in their head :eek:

That is crazy! I usually take cerazette and love it but when that was out of stock earlier this year they substituted another mini-pill and I turned into a raving shrew and wanted to cry at the drop of a hat. I only took it for two weeks and then decided to stop and wait for the cerazette to be available again. As soon as I stopped taking it I felt more sane again.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I went to a different doctor two months ago to review my situation and she told me it was illiegal to be on Dianette for more than 6 months and she didnt know how id been getting the repeat prescriptions!
    re; Dianette
    I am absolutely baffled as to how so many women get prescribed dianette long term, there must be a hell of a lot on incompetent doctors out there!!!

Dianette is an acne medication (also a medication for excess hair problems i believe), which just happens to have contraceptive properties!

It's not a contraceptive pill. It has pretty huge doses of hormones i believe and is certainly not meant for long term use!!

Not sure how true but google tells me it was actually banned in america.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I've also heard some stories about Dianette. It's absolutely unbelievable how much we trust our doctors when you think about it. I mean, I've been taking the pill for years and I never really thought long and hard about what it was doing to me. I've been putting fake hormones into my body and taking a pill every day for over a decade and I never reeeally thought about it. That kinda blows my mind. I'm all done with the pill now - I felt all celebratory when I took my last one. I'm quite excited to see what changes will occur as my body goes back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

For some women 'normal' is untenable, turning into the Hulk for 3 days out of every 28 was far from optimal but there is no one size fits all and any dr who says they are all the same is dangerously misinformed.

Thankfully there have been advances in contraception options, methods and formulas,
    unfortunately not all drs are interested enough to try and remain current with those development and once they have prescribed the same pill for a certain number of years to most of their female patients with little or no complaints they will just keep doing so and may not be even aware of the recent published results which say that the older generations of pill should be discontinued.

Knowledge is power and thankfully we live in an age were a lot of info is available for us and we don't have to buy costly medical texts or just try and rely on what our gps knows or doesn't know. I'd suggest that every woman do some research and question thier gp and don't be fobbed off with a prescription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I was on Dianette for a year after Microlite totally disagreed with me. I have to say Dianette was great for me. It had no negative side effects and I felt great. My skin never looked better (I didnt have acne btw) but was taken off it a few years ago. Now taking Cileste, which is ok. Still have pretty bad months when I throw up and have really bad pain so I'll see about changing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Really agree with sharrow on this, having been put through the ringer by a number of drs over the last 10 years! It's so important to trust your own instincts on this issue, I was on every type of combined pill going, had been through hell and back until I finally visited the family planning clinic here in Galway and they suggested I was estrogen intolerent!
    So cerezette was a saviour for me.

Alas due to an impending op in late summer it's expected I come off it, which I'm dreading, and I'd be really interested in hearing from gals who rely solely on barrier methods, and how they find them?

• Advertisement

On day 4 of the Ortho Evra Patch, and I've had to rip it off!! :(

The hormones seemed to kick in really quickly. If everything was even keel I Was fairly ok, but the moment anything happening I turned bipolar. My boyfriend and I were fighting the day after I started it and I actually turned psycho....im usually logical, but I was ranting and raving and sobbing like a crazy! I started obsesively worrying about stuff and would just cry for no reason all day the first 2 days.

That settled down, and I just started feeling really tired and lethargic.

I had no problem deciding towait these side effects out for the first three months. Then today, on the 4th day, I Was having a nap when i felt twitching in my calves. I then started feeling tingling in my feet and legs which proceeded through out the day and also started in my arms and shoulders. I started getting cramping in my calves also. It seemed too close to some of the warning signs for blood clots, so after a couple of hours of worrying I just decided to rip it off.

Spermicide and condoms for now, possible death or severe dissability? Not worth the risk!!

Advertisement