Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best contraceptive for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I was on the pill for years but the headaches I was getting was worrying my gp so I switched to implanon, the headaches have gone thank god, but it hasnt regulated anything :mad:

Has anyone else had the same problem? I thought it would settle down after three months, so then I thought it would settle after 6. Here I am 8 months later with no change.

Had it for 15 months, regulated nothing, was prescribed the pill with the implant (kinda defeats the purpose) to help, it did but went back to being crappy when i stopped the pill. Got fed up after 15 months and had it taken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

careymary wrote: »
    I use Implanon and am so happy with it, I have never had a problem with it, it regulates my periods and makes them so much lighter which is brilliant for me, I used to have quite a difficult time.
    In fact this is my second Implanon and the only reason I would stop using it is if I was planning to get pregnant, cant recommend it enough!

Hey I'm currently on the pill but am very bad at taking it at the right time or worse, forgetting to take it altogether! I'd be far too scared to try just condoms and I was thinking of switching to the implant in your arm but I just wanted to know a bit more about it. I've been looking up a good bit about it but I wanted to know how much it costs because I can't find that anywhere! I'm also wondering about Polycystic ovaries and the implant and if you can use it of you have PCOS? I haven't actually been diagnosed but I have the symptoms and it's runs in the family, I wasn't going to worry about it until I wanted to get pregnant but if I was going to switch over and there was a problem with PCOS and the implant then obviously I'd want to get it checked out first!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Shonagh

Hi all, got a prescription for Microlite today, I'm 17 and its my first time taking any sort of contraceptive. I won't be able to start taking it for another three weeks, but I'm still unsure because I've been reading up on it and there seems to be a lot of side effects.. I know it varies for everyone but does anyone have any sort of success story to calm my nerves? And I was wondering about skipping the seven day break, I'll have debs and stuff at the end of the summer and I might have to run two packets together, is that safe to do?
    Also, how good is it as a contraceptive? Chances are that me and the boyfriend will be using condoms too, but presumably it's okay to not use a condom sometimes too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Shonagh wrote: »
    Hi all, got a prescription for Microlite today, I'm 17 and its my first time taking any sort of contraceptive. I won't be able to start taking it for another three weeks, but I'm still unsure because I've been reading up on it and there seems to be a lot of side effects.. I know it varies for everyone but does anyone have any sort of success story to calm my nerves? And I was wondering about skipping the seven day break, I'll have debs and stuff at the end of the summer and I might have to run two packets together, is that safe to do?
    Also, how good is it as a contraceptive? Chances are that me and the boyfriend will be using condoms too, but presumably it's okay to not use a condom sometimes too?

I don't mean to lecture, but these are the questions you really ought to ask your doctor or pharmacist. Do you have the booklet that came with it?

I was on microlite for years and had not a single problem with it.

I haven't actually got the pill pack yet, but I'll read up on it when I get it!
    I was with the doctor today and I asked her everything I could think of but I just forgot to ask a few things.
    Thanks (:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I haven't actually got the pill pack yet, but I'll read up on it when I get it!
    I was with the doctor today and I asked her everything I could think of but I just forgot to ask a few things.
    Thanks (:

Ah, okay :o Well I'm sure the chemist will tell you in private when you go as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Kimia wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

I've been on the pill now for approx 14 years (I sound so old!) and I'm thinking I'd like to come off it. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I got pregnant but I'd prefer not to for a few more years so what kind of contraceptives do you use that don't have an effect on your hormones?

I don't mean to dictate what you should do Kimia, but theres a world of difference with those two! :) You'd want to be very sure about it, and to be prepared should it happen. I'm late joining the thread, and can see the other girls have been giving you advice on bridging the 'gap' between just wanting to be off the pill and actively 'trying'. I strongly advise this until it you both decide it's time.

When I was 16 I went on femodene, was fine with that over all but I did gain a little weight. After that I was on microlite, which was fine with me too. I've been on Yasminelle for the last year and a half / two, and I've no problems with it either. Despite the pill never letting me down, and me being on it about 14 years myself, I think I will always have an irrational fear. The next time I'm at the doctor I'm actually going to ask about sterilization, I'm not really interested in trying anything else tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭kingelmo

Im on Microlite... Iv only been on it for one month.. goin into second month now.. I find it great, was on Dianette previous and it drove me insane but all pills affect people differently. I find since iv started Microlite iv chilled out more, not a moody cow and dont have any mood swings like i did on the last pill.

Only thing s, i ran on from my last pill straight onto Microlite with out the 7day break - as the doc told me to do.. currently on my free 7days and iv gotton no period.. iv never ran them on before so i dont know is it noramal or not... im going to continue it on till next month and see what happens..

See can you get advice for the others about running the packets it.. Obviously im no help!! didnt exactly seem to work out for me!!(but i know im not pregnant so thats a plus):D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

First of all I just want to say that I'm glad you're being safe! I'm not actually on microlite but as far as I know all of the pills have similar side effects. I started on Dianette and I was super moody on it, changed to Yasmin and am perfectly fine on it, have no problems at all. So basically with the side effects you don't know until you try, it's completely trial and error. Maybe ask your byfriend to keep an eye on your moods though, because with me I didn't even realise that I was moody at all until he told me, any of the other side effects you should be able to spot yourself.

It's perfectly safe to run two packs together and if you ever miss a pill or get sick in the third week of the pack you have to run them together anyway. The only thing is when you run packs together (for me anyway) is that when you have your period it's quite a heavy and painful one although again that could be different for everyone. There's also a higher chance of having a break through period when running them together. I have a friend and she can't join her pills together at all, even two packs because she has a break through bleed but it's so heavy she might as well have had her period. Again it's different for everybody but there's no reason that you shouldn't try because you might not have any problems at all and most don't. Seeing you're just starting it though, I wouldn't join anymore than two packs together for now just so you can check that your periods are OK when you have the break, also as it's the first one don't be surprised if it's quite painful.

As for the condoms and pill thing, personally that's what we always use for two reasons, it would nearly give you 100% safety, and second I don't like the sheets getting ruined! If you're sometimes not going to use condoms then the safest time is during the second week of your pack basically because if you miss one in the first week you can ovulate and sperm can survivie for up to 5 days and there's a chance of getting pregnant (I don't know what percent though) and the same with the third week but the second week is the safest.

The booklet should have a lot of this so make sure you read it so you know what to do in certain circumstances. Hope that's helped.

okay that's great, thanks everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

Just thought I'd row in with my experience with the Mirena Coil. Got it in 6 years ago. Was terrible for the first year, lots of spotting,. Got it readjusted (Hell). Forgot the date to take it out and went over by a year:eek:. Spoke to a very snotty doctors secretary who obviously thought she was the doctor when I tried to relay my fears for removal. Went to another nice doc and after lots of rummaging she couldn't find it :eek:. In the end had to get it out in Mt Carmel in a day proceedure,... €1500 later:mad:. Although this is not a typical story, I would be very reluctant to do it again...thus Mr Boomchicawawa is seeing his doctor about a little proceedure himself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Shonagh, I'm on Microlite for 4 years now and I've never had a days bother. No breakthrough bleeding when I started, no headaches, weight gain etc. I take it at the same time every morning and I know exactly when my period starts and ends every month. We don't use condoms or anything along with the pill, and so far so good! :) Saying that though, if I did end up pregnant it wouldn't be a completely bad scenario, myself and my partner are together years and hopefully a family is in our future, but we're happy as we are with just the Microlite. A fair few people I know do use condoms as well as their pill, I didn't think as many people did until I came on here!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Just thought I'd row in with my experience with the Mirena Coil. Got it in 6 years ago. Was terrible for the first year, lots of spotting,. Got it readjusted (Hell). Forgot the date to take it out and went over by a year:eek:. Spoke to a very snotty doctors secretary who obviously thought she was the doctor when I tried to relay my fears for removal. Went to another nice doc and after lots of rummaging she couldn't find it :eek:. In the end had to get it out in Mt Carmel in a day proceedure,... €1500 later:mad:. Although this is not a typical story, I would be very reluctant to do it again...thus Mr Boomchicawawa is seeing his doctor about a little proceedure himself :D

:eek: Sounds horrific. I considered this option and read all about it and spoke to the GP, but I honestly don't think it's for me. If it came to it, I'd hope my boyfriend would consider I procedure too, but I don't think he'd be at all keen from previous conversations :pac: I suppose I'm taking the bigger risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I am on my second Mirena IUS and will be getting a 3rd one.

I had cramps for 3 hours after they were put in and spotting for 3/4 days and that was it. My periods stopped and stay stopped, I've had no issue loosing weight on it,
    it's stayed put where it's supposed to, I check it ever 4 weeks, it's not been in the way when I've had a smear test done. It's worked out at about 100 quid a year.

It is hormonal so it's not for everyone and you really need to make sure that the dr who is fitting it has done lots of them so they are aware of any possible issues but I'd be lost with out mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'd like to point out that while the Mirena does use hormones, it is a much smaller dose of hormones than oral contraceptives, the patch or the implant.

Morgase wrote: »
    I'd like to point out that while the Mirena does use hormones, it is a much smaller dose of hormones than oral contraceptives, the patch or the implant.

It's not the hormones I'd be worried about, it's the physical thing inside me and if something is going wrong with it I'd need a procedure to take it out :( as well as the initial adjustment period.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I honestly wasn't having a go at you Malari! :) I'd never tell another woman which method she should choose.

I was just pointing out in a general fashion that there's less hormones in the Mirena, because so many women I know just go for the pill because it's just what their GP has given them (I was certainly one of those women!) and haven't considered things like the Mirena which may be more suitable hormones-wise.

I suppose in this thread I'm preaching at women who've already considered all the options :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Morgase wrote: »

It's about 1/5 of the dose of hormones in the pill or patch.

I get the concerns about it being a physical thing inside me, I put of having my first one put in by 4 months as I could not get my head around it and it was a pregnancy scare after having a vomiting bug while on the pill which made my mind up for me. I had two kids and that's enough for me.

I honestly do forgot about it and just get on with my life, but have a reminder to check it once a month. IF you have one you have to check it, that way if it's shifted it's position you can go do the dr rather then waiting until it's 'vanished'.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

nuvaring all the way for me.

cant stand the pill - i tried every single one and was like an orc on all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Hey I've a question for anyone with knowledge of the pill :D Too embarrased to go chemist and ask!
    I'm on my second month of the pill, I'm told to take it at the same time everyday whih isn't a problem. I took last months at 8 am everymorning, can I change the time I take this months or does every month have to be the same time?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Hey I've a question for anyone with knowledge of the pill :D Too embarrased to go chemist and ask!
    I'm on my second month of the pill, I'm told to take it at the same time everyday whih isn't a problem. I took last months at 8 am everymorning, can I change the time I take this months or does every month have to be the same time?? :)

I change the time I take my Pill pretty much every month and not pregnant yet so it must be okay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I'm using mirena, it works really well for me. I have been using it for the last 2 years now.
    A major plus for me is that I don't have periods anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Noo wrote: »
    Had it for 15 months, regulated nothing, was prescribed the pill with the implant (kinda defeats the purpose) to help, it did but went back to being crappy when i stopped the pill. Got fed up after 15 months and had it taken out.

Wasnt aware you could take the pill with it, and yes it does seem to completely defeat the purpose, not to mention and added cost. What an unnecessary expense after the initial outlay for the implant. I'm considering taking mine out now because I am getting very fed up. I don't think the pill will be an option for me with my history of headaches on it.

So my choices now I suppose are the injection, the patch or the coil. Really don't know what to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Novella wrote: »
    I change the time I take my Pill pretty much every month and not pregnant yet so it must be okay!

Okay thanks a mill! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Id like to try something as well. Condoms have not proved too effective with me, and natural method makes me too paranoid.
    Ive been told the pill isnt really safe for me (family history) so what could i use instead?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    Id like to try something as well. Condoms have not proved too effective with me, and natural method makes me too paranoid.
    Ive been told the pill isnt really safe for me (family history) so what could i use instead?

Copper IUD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Should i go to doctor or family planning?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Malari wrote: »
    It's not the hormones I'd be worried about, it's the physical thing inside me and if something is going wrong with it I'd need a procedure to take it out :( as well as the initial adjustment period.
    There is no 'procedure' needed to remove the Mirena.
    It comes out quite easily - less bother than a tampon.

spurious wrote: »
    There is no 'procedure' needed to remove the Mirena.
    It comes out quite easily - less bother than a tampon.

I was replying to a poster who said something went wrong and thus she required a procedure to remove it.

It's just not for me. The idea of having it there inside me and having to check it all the time is too much hassle for me. Pills are just simpler and less invasive in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭D e e

Edit:nvm

Advertisement