Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's incredible the spurt in both colour and growth of the grass even in the past 24 hours. A huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In the past few days i've noticed the brown patches are fast disappearing. By next Tuesday I'll have had enough of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Grass was still yellow in Sligo today but 2mm now tonight so far so maybe it will go green now. Some of it was so dead it turned to soily sand. Will that come back as grass?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Grass here is gone green everywhere, no trace of any yellow/brown grass left in the local area with plenty of rain over the past 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Drought officially over here.
    4 hours non stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

When it's coming from the Atlantic you can believe it. It will be interesting to hear of the water level in sparksfly's well by next Thursday.

You are indeed on the right track I believe. We have had our first rain in months today (Thursday) . Started in earnest about 7:50 pm and is pelting still. It is very welcome.
    I will update on the well situation next Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

pauldry wrote: »
    Saturdays rain will miss no county

25mm for top locations

Even today's rain may hit there too.

The 6 feet will rise by this time next week.

You are also being proved correct with today's heavy downpour. Hallelujah.

Ok, rain, you can stop now, we get it.

516990.PNG

8mm in Sligo ...we are up to 23mm for month now

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

8mm for the month to date in Galway city, off the back of the same in April and May. Grass is brown, ground is rock hard. Haven't cut the lawn since late March, and still no need. There are wispy seed heads, but virtually no leaf growth. I've seen greater grass growth in recent Decembers. Slugs and snails are normally running amok and have the hostas and other leafy perennials destroyed - they are virtually non-existent. Looks like 2020 will take a break from it's oddness on Saturday and normality will return - temporarily anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

73.2mm for the month in Arklow
    14.2mm of that since yesterday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

40.1mm at Dunsany up to midnight 18th of June. Since yesterday we can probably add another 20mm to that total.

January: 55.1
    February: 157.1
    March: 47.1
    April: 19.3
    May: 14.2
    June: 40.1 (up to the 18th).

I can see our June total getting close to 100mm over the next week by the time we include the rainfall of the past 24 hours, this weekends rain and more rain possible in the first half of next week. I doubt we will catch up on February's big total but I'd say beating every other month so far this year will be an easy target. Looking at last June, one of my least favourite months ever, it is possible we could beat June 2019 for rainfall before months end.

June 2019 was a horrible month here and just looking at that month, Dunsany managed 78.1mm of rain in June 2019 and had an average mean temperature of 12.8C, this temperature was in the 11's for most of June due to 3 weeks of cooler than average temperatures and got helped considerably in the final week of June when temperatures rose into the low 20's at times.

The mean temperature for June has improved alot over the past week. Last week just at the end of the cold spell we were over a degree below normal sitting at 11.9C. Today we are sitting at 13.1C, that's +0.1C above average. I think the mean may come down again slightly over the next week with all the dull, cool and wet weather before rising again later next week.

So far this June is almost identical to June 2019, we've getting a fair amount of rain, we've had cold spells and not that much in the way of sunshine with the exception of about 3 or 4 days. The only difference is the cold hasn't been as prolonged as last year. The temperatures since last Saturday have recovered our mean back to normal values after a cooler than average first 2 weeks of June. Will be interesting to look at the total for June 2020 at the end of the month and compare both Junes off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wicklow Mountains didn't save us here from the rain. The manual gauge had a nice even 17.0mm this morning. June now stands at 26.2mm in south Laois.

Still would need ~65mm to get the soils wet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like the rain has come too late for a big tree behind my house! Leaves all brown and falling. It's like autumn in my back garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like the rain has come too late for a big tree behind my house! Leaves all brown and falling. It's like autumn in my back garden!

There’s a lot of trees and hedges stressed with drought not to mention lawns.a month of rain is wanted in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Top 6 driest Met Eireann stations in the land this month so far (and up to yesterday)

yF0nv8T.png

Gurteen in north Tipperary now the driest of all. Could be more heavy showers breaking across east Munster and Leinster later on today, with a more general spells of rain for pretty much all over the weekend.

New Moon

Rain is still less than what I thought and tomorrows washout in Sligo doesnt now start till 6PM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The rain from yesterday and overnight (14.4mm) brought the rainfall for the month to 27mm.
    Good thing there is a lot more rain to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Can’t believe how much greener my grass has got. Or perhaps I have sod all else to do but look out the back garden.

If we look at percentages for the just the first 18 days of June, then nationally speaking, around 60% of the average rainfall for the period has fallen, which itself belies a wide range of values. For example, just 22% at Gurteen to as high as 143% at Casement.

-- Data c/o Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If we look at percentages for the just the first 18 days of June, then nationally speaking, around 60% of the average rainfall for the period has fallen, which itself belies a wide range of values. For example, just 22% at Gurteen to as high as 143% at Casement.

-- Data c/o Met Eireann.

And in the past 7 days Casement has had 280% of its LTA.

While Belmullet has had only 10%.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Still depressingly dry in this part of Tipp, south of Gurteen. We had just enough last weekend to keep things from dying, but nothing worthwhile since. Maybe the next lot of rain will get this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

81mm in Kildare so far this month

tromtipp wrote: »
    Still depressingly dry in this part of Tipp, south of Gurteen. We had just enough last weekend to keep things from dying, but nothing worthwhile since. Maybe the next lot of rain will get this far.

It will, any rain from now is going to arrive from the west and not the east.

So it will have a 3000 mile push instead of a 300 mile one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

pad199207 wrote: »
    81mm in Kildare so far this month

Not in my corner of Kildare, 24mm in total, and 20 of that from last night and this morning

latest models going for a real shift in rainfall distribution over the next week. For the past 2 weeks rain has mostly been focused in eastern areas due to the easterly winds, but the winds have now shifted back into the west.

Areas in the west which currently are still experiencing low levels of rainfall will certainly make it up over the next week.

Eastern areas which have experienced a good deal of rain over the past week will start to dry out from tomorrow after tonight's rain band clears.

174-777UK.GIF?20-6

If the model is correct most of the rain this week will fall along the west and north-west as higher pressure keeps many parts of Leinster and Munster dryer over the coming week.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Which could still leave me in the dry. The western rains move north and round the coast, not crossing the hills, the eastern stuff dwindles away over the midlands, The lower Shannon catchment stays dry as a bone.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    latest models going for a real shift in rainfall distribution over the next week. For the past 2 weeks rain has mostly been focused in eastern areas due to the easterly winds, but the winds have now shifted back into the west.

And this is reflected in the actual stats. Both Casement and Johnstown Castle are the wettest Met stations so far this month (65.2mm & 57.3mm respectively) while Mace Hd (10.2mm) & Athenry (12.8mm) are the driest.

If we break Casement's and Mace Hd's figures down into percentages for the month, then the former has already breached its entire monthly average (107% so far) while that latter station is only on 12% to date.

- C/O Met Eireann.

New Moon

Advertisement