Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPD Parcel Wizard - DPD Pickup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

TheDriver wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Labrador I'm assuming. Unless he's running a breaking bad type operation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I like the idea because if you combine it with the other functions of DPD that DPD offers via the parcelwizzard (hold/next day/other address/announcements) it means you can get the comfort of home delivery for the package for only €3.85 (after the 3 free ones). Parcelmotel charges €7.95 for their home service.

The added advantage is that with DPD you get a text with an hour delivery window (and can reschedule) while with Parcelmotel home service you have to guess.

They aim at different services here. DPD is home delivery for those of us who prefer that, while Parcelmotel offers collection when it suits unless you use the more expensive and less functionable home service.

Now if they would sort out the site so that one could actualy log on (existing customer here, can't log in with error occurred), that would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Went through with the registration, alright.

But this time I allowed Flash on the site. <= could that be the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

beazee wrote: »
    Went through with the registration, alright.

But this time I allowed Flash on the site. <= could that be the issue?

I think they might have fixed the issue because I now can log in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭vanti

thanks op...nice to have a choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I've been using parcel motel since it launched and it always ran like clockwork until this week when I got a flat packed orthopaedic chair for a family member who suffers from chronic arthritis delivered from a dublin retailer who doesn't deliver outside of Dublin to my Dublin Locker.

I knew it would be overweight and was willing to pay the overweight charges because I've done this once or twice before and I was basing my expected charges on an example given on their website of a 64kg 46 inch TV of €21.

Imagine my shock last night when I received an email telling me my card had been charged €112!

This is almost as much as the chair cost and now I'm gonna struggle for the rest of the week and I can't ask my family member for the money as they barely survive on disability benefit and used whatever they had saved on this chair.

I know people will say I shouldn't have registered the card and just topped up my account but I really didn't think I would ever be hit like this and I found the whole topping up procedure to slow down the delivery process.

Not saying DPD would have been any better but I'll be signing up with them after this.

Also their price of €3.85 isn't competing with parcel motels €3.90 it's competing with Parcel motels new delivery to your door service of €7.95 so they are a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

inforfun wrote: »
    Of course it is, never said it wasnt. Delivery to Ireland is either not an option or it cost more than the budget for SW per year.

PM has the uk address and the pick it up at your convenience.
    Deliveries at work never worked for me. Having a foreign name in Ireland doesnt help the mailroom or the reception to contact me when something is delivered.

Make up your mind, are they completely missing the point or not? :D

They are going after the UK > PM > Door market, so of course that's what they'll mention in their marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,780 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Good god.. there's a lot of fluff in this thread!

Could be summarized by saying:
    • Use ParcelMotel if it suits (e.g not at home often, prefer collection on your own time 24 hours a day)
    • Use ParcelWizard if it suits (e.g Parcel Motel locker not near you, don't drive or have easy transport to a PM locker etc.)
    Their services, while very similar, have enough differences to warrant using both.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Make up your mind, are they completely missing the point or not? :D

They are going after the UK > PM > Door market, so of course that's what they'll mention in their marketing.

They are missing the point, in that they advertise that pick up at some box, as a negative.
    For a lot of people that pick up at some box whenever it suits them, is just what they were looking for in PM.

inforfun wrote: »
    They are missing the point, in that they advertise that pick up at some box, as a negative.
    For a lot of people that pick up at some box whenever it suits them, is just what they were looking for in PM.

They highlight it as a negative because they can't compete there, so to the rest of us that find locker pick up an inconvenience (their target market), it is a negative. They're not pitching to you. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

They could eventually build lockers and place them in non-Topaz locations....

Great to see a bit of competition. Dunno why people are getting so flustered over it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Exactly, people seem to be missing the point here.

Either way PM will be losing lots of customers here. I'm not saying they will close down or go away, but PW, PC and An Post will all be cutting deeply into their market share now.

PM had two type of customers:
    1) Those who can't take deliveries at home/work. Obviously PW won't change these people, however PC and An Posts new services may well cut into those.
    2) People who used PM for deliveries from the UK, but could get deliveries to home/work. They had to either opt for a locker at €4 (inconvenient/out of the way) or home delivery at €8. Obviously PW service will steal all of these customers at home/work delivery of €4.

I predict now that after Christmas, as the competition heats up, PM will cut it's prices in half to €4 for home delivery and €2 for locker, in order to remain competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

bk wrote: »
    Exactly, people seem to be missing the point here.

Either way PM will be losing lots of customers here. I'm not saying they will close down or go away, but PW, PC and An Post will all be cutting deeply into their market share now.

PM had two type of customers:
    1) Those who can't take deliveries at home/work. Obviously PW won't change these people, however PC and An Posts new services may well cut into those.
    2) People who used PM for deliveries from the UK, but could get deliveries to home/work. They had to either opt for a locker at €4 (inconvenient/out of the way) or home delivery at €8. Obviously PW service will steal all of these customers at home/work delivery of €4.

I predict now that after Christmas, as the competition heats up, PM will cut it's prices in half to €4 for home delivery and €2 for locker, in order to remain competitive.

I was in the option 2 bucket. I'll be using DPD's service now in future, unless there's a rare time where I'm not at home or at work.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Fantastic, as a person who shops at Amazon and ebay constantly I'm sold :D

Also great that you can use the box to send post and parcels.

However living in an Apartment, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better if they following Deutsche Posts lead and put shared parcel motel style lockers in the apartment building, rather then having residents each have individual lockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

working for me now after the error message :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Here's a benefit. Your delivery to your home address won't be delayed because "its busy at Christmas so our lockers are full" which is PMs annual excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Still wont let me register. After entering all my details, I don't get the email or phone verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

I found that it would only work on my PC and using Chrome. That may have been isolated to me but the only way i could get it to work.

What I always found best about Parcel Motel is that a lot of apartment blocks simply cannot handle packages any bigger than.. well.. a tshirt.

trixiebust wrote: »
    Still wont let me register. After entering all my details, I don't get the email or phone verification.

I waited for 1 hour and than it was working fine for me - just leave it a while :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Berty wrote: »
    Here's a benefit. Your delivery to your home address won't be delayed because "its busy at Christmas so our lockers are full" which is PMs annual excuse.

Cant agree with you there. I ordered a load of stuff last xmas and was expecting some hassle given the time of year but everything arrived without a hitch.

Maybe its down to the individual area you are in as my own local motel would be very near their main warehouse..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I got a cached verify page this morning on Chrome but managed to login ok (I'd verified ok yesterday). Their calendar schedule feature seems to be a great thing. Most of the time I'd get it sent to work (set that as your home address). I can't work out exactly what the re-occurring schedule does. Perhaps if set for Mon-Fri one week, it drops to the next week after the Fri... Anyhow most of the time it can be left blank if you want delivery to your 'home address'.

Everyone has pros/cons of the Parcel services. I've had issues with both Parcel Motel and Parcel Connect.

The great thing is now there are 3 decent choices to suit everyone's requirements. Personally getting to a PMotel locker is an issue for me, but I can now get deliveries to work via PWizard or collect via PConnect at a Spar/Centra.

I found that it would only work on my PC and using Chrome. That may have been isolated to me but the only way i could get it to work.

Worked fine using Firefox on Mac for me.

Trond wrote: »
    Cant agree with you there. I ordered a load of stuff last xmas and was expecting some hassle given the time of year but everything arrived without a hitch.

Maybe its down to the individual area you are in as my own local motel would be very near their main warehouse..

I'm using PM quite often and never had an issue with it - touch wood

And the competition starts!

Just got an email at my company address of a special offer from Parcel Motel. 1 free stay and a reduced rate of €3.50 per stay until 31st December, 2015 for people who work at my company.

Funny how just a few months ago they assured me that they couldn't possibly charge less, that they absolutely had to increase prices to €3.90! Isn't competition great :)

Looks like old BA favourite deliverme.ie is well and truly screwed now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I knew it would be overweight and was willing to pay the overweight charges because I've done this once or twice before and I was basing my expected charges on an example given on their website of a 64kg 46 inch TV of €21.

Imagine my shock last night when I received an email telling me my card had been charged €112!

This is almost as much as the chair cost and now I'm gonna struggle for the rest of the week and I can't ask my family member for the money as they barely survive on disability benefit and used whatever they had saved on this chair.
    Also their price of €3.85 isn't competing with parcel motels €3.90 it's competing with Parcel motels new delivery to your door service of €7.95 so they are a lot cheaper.

€112 sounds crazy compared to €21 for a 64kg tv. If the chair was flatpacked for home assembly surely it can't of been a gigantic sized parcel? I know they base their prices on volumetric weight so it is a combination of size and weight that determines the price but even taking that into account €112 sounds like you might have been overcharged. Have you tried ringing them to query it?
    And the competition starts!

Just got an email at my company address of a special offer from Parcel Motel. 1 free stay and a reduced rate of €3.50 per stay until 31st December, 2015 for people who work at my company.

Funny how just a few months ago they assured me that they couldn't possibly charge less, that they absolutely had to increase prices to €3.90! Isn't competition great :)

Great news, it didn't take them long to drop their price by 10%, they must be reading this thread :D

I haven't been able to log in once since registering.

Apt user name I suppose..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I haven't been able to log in once since registering.

Apt user name I suppose..

Especially when pronounced in Dutch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Fantastic, as a person who shops at Amazon and ebay constantly I'm sold :D

Also great that you can use the box to send post and parcels.

However living in an Apartment, I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better if they following Deutsche Posts lead and put shared parcel motel style lockers in the apartment building, rather then having residents each have individual lockers.
    I think you may have overlooked the size of the planned An Post box,it's around the size of a shoe box.

Advertisement