Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

The whole thing felt more like a big budget Robot Jox, that was a much better big robot film and had the late but frankly awesome Joe Haldeman co-writing with the director, watched it many years ago on VHS, fantastic!

Ok, maybe it was just as bad, but at least the battles were during the day time!

I loved that film! There was another out around the same time about a lad fighting aliens ufc style, think it was called "arena" that was great too (note : it's probably crap now, but was great back then)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I enjoyed Pacific Rim a lot.

It may have had awful dialogue, but it was an action movie that was coherent and you could follow which is an extreme rarity in Hollywood these days... How are they still able to make animated movies really well and with great stories and dialogue? Make your movies like that!

I think we have Pixar to thank for raising the bar there and improving the output of the other studios.

And we probably have Michael Bay and the Transformers movies to blame for lowering the bar in live action movies and dragging everything else down with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, Oblivion has been my sci-fi movie of the summer so far, at least as far as the cinemas go.
    And I wasn't expecting much from it at all.

I think the reason Specific Rimjob was easy to follow was because it was all quite quite simple.
    If it was any other genre I think the director would be laughed out of town tbh....

I was genuinely surprised at the film, loving the aforementioned Pans Labyrinth and the Hellboy movies a lot.

It was exactly as if Bay had of made it, just with 100% less Shia, which is only ever a good thing.

Maybe there was an ingredient missing.... Kurt Russell!

The Devil's Backbone is the best thing Del Toro has done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,736 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My biggest problem with Pacific Rim was just how aggressively underachieving it was. The constant allusions to superior influences. The fact it proposes interesting characterisation and subtexts only for them to evaporate into thin air. The fact that, even with Hellboy, we all know del Toro is capable of films with more imagination and energy - and I say that as someone who wouldn't really subscribe to the cult of del Toro. I could have happily bought dumb fun, but I kept getting distracted with how often it made a fool of itself.

Yes, that middle set piece is epic (although beyond that I even thought the battles were confused and repetitive with all the rain and dark water), and yes it's generally more coherent than your average modern blockbuster (amazing that coherence is now a badge of honour). But if this is the best an auteur can do with such mind boggling resources, Hollywood cinema is in a much grimmer state than I could have imagined. If it's better than the rest of this summer's crop (personally, Id consider it vastly inferior to the pretty unambitious and flawed but endearingly enthusiastic Into Darkness) that's only because it's like firing a rocket launcher at a barrel of fish. A genuinely pathetic bunch of cynical misfires this year, to the point where a mere mediocrity can come across as fresh and exciting.

I rewatched Battle Royale last night. If a contemporary blockbuster had even a fraction of the wit, energy and even character depth of that film cinema would be a much, much richer place.

Watched Godzilla: Final Wars last night. (The 50th anniversary Godzilla movie) It's completely insane.

The plot, dialogue and story in Pacific Rim are all pretty standard and typical for the Kaiju genre. In fact it's probably head and shoulders above most Kaiju films, not just on a special effects level. As a genre it's incredibly dumb and stupid by it's very nature, so I'm more willing to give Pacific Rim a pass in this respect, the other big Hollywood films out this year on the other hand have no such excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DinoRex wrote: »
    Watched Godzilla: Final Wars last night. (The 50th anniversary Godzilla movie) It's completely insane.

The plot, dialogue and story in Pacific Rim are all pretty standard and typical for the Kaiju genre. In fact it's probably head and shoulders above most Kaiju films, not just on a special effects level. As a genre it's incredibly dumb and stupid by it's very nature, so I'm more willing to give Pacific Rim a pass in this respect, the other big Hollywood films out this year on the other hand have no such excuse.
    You forgot to mention this gem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The US 'Zilla doesn't last long, does it?

I wonder what this new one is going to be like, no Jean Reno though :(

Which reminds me, have to watch Leon again, there's a directors cut I haven't seen.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So if I go to the cinema this weekend and want Hollywood cheese and explosions should it be Pacific Rim or or World War Z?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,736 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Steve SI wrote: »
    So if I go to the cinema this weekend and want Hollywood cheese and explosions should it be Pacific Rim or or World War Z?

Probably the World's End.

• Advertisement

Although, World War Z was a pleasant surprise for me, nothing like the book, but nothing like the typical Zombie picture anyway.
    And, I know of the massive rewrite/reshoot of the 3rd act, and some don't like the change of pace, but I really enjoyed it.
    Nice use of locations as well, with rainy, dark South Korean airbases sharing screentime with a sundrenched Malta standing in for Jerusalem, I presume that there were no issues getting permission to film in suburban Wales for the final act!
    And there's talk of another one in the works, which makes me happy, although I'm sure Johnny U is disgusted :(

Going to see The Worlds End myself tomorrow, and blew the mystery cameo for myself today, bugger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

You should see Despicable Me 2 :p it had explosions too

Sera wrote: »
    You should see Despicable Me 2 :p it had explosions too

It's actually on the list. I loved the first one and the minions are awesome :D

It's actually on the list. I loved the first one and the minions are awesome :D
    I think I'll hold out for the 3D BD release.

Also:

Wow. I know the first one was bad, but this...Sony really has no idea what to do with the franchise.

I think I'll hold out for the 3D BD release.

Also:

Wow. I know the first one was bad, but this...Sony really has no idea what to do with the franchise.

Whats up with the pager on the side of his head? :)

p1zh.jpg

Paul Giamati is looking brilliant as Rhino in Amazing Spider-man 2

I saw Despicable Me 2 and have to say, I dozed off at one point.
    The Minions are fantastic as always, but the rest of it lacks the originality of the first film, but The Minions are getting their own movie next year, so that's something to look forward to.
    I can only imagine, regarding DM2, that the version that featured Al Pacino instead of Benjamin Bratt would not have been any better, perhaps even worse.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 looks fantastic though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Although, World War Z was a pleasant surprise for me, nothing like the book, but nothing like the typical Zombie picture anyway.
    And, I know of the massive rewrite/reshoot of the 3rd act, and some don't like the change of pace, but I really enjoyed it.
    Nice use of locations as well, with rainy, dark South Korean airbases sharing screentime with a sundrenched Malta standing in for Jerusalem, I presume that there were no issues getting permission to film in suburban Wales for the final act!
    And there's talk of another one in the works, which makes me happy, although I'm sure Johnny U is disgusted :(

I also found World War Z to surprisingly enjoyable. The third act had a proper resident evil vibe to it that I appreciated.

p1zh.jpg
    Because Big Bob's Beepers took out some product placement space.

Bigbobsbeeperem.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

p1zh.jpg
    maybe he's related to the guy with the clock dial in his head from star trek:' wrath of sherlock'
    gatt-9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I see Dr Bob & Steve SI have ranked up & joined the ranks of the elite

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Earthbound and Shantae are available on the WiiU virtual console from today in the US. Lets hope it drops the price of carts.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lets hope it drops the price of carts.

Yeah fingies crossed, if the US cart became more reasonable I'd consider it

EnterNow wrote: »

spiderman-with-great-power-comes-great-18660.gif

Spider-man-opens-window.gif

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm just starting to do something that I should have done years ago- play Super Metroid!

You go girl!
    It's all sorts of awesome....
    But, I'll be a knob and say it's not the same without the giant box and manual!

You go girl!
    It's all sorts of awesome....
    But, I'll be a knob and say it's not the same without the giant box and manual!

Never had the box for it, but the cart's been sitting in my collectin for about ten years. I'm not even sure where it came from, but it's always been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

There's a sex shop next door to the hotel. Heheheh. ;)

• Advertisement

Well, I have to say, it's started.
    I expected him to crack earlier tbh.

Is it a sex shop or a shop that sells sex? They are very different things.
    Atavan, your first time should be with someone who you care about or at least someone your drunk with, dont do it dude :D
    Save your cash for the beers and pokemons.

Is it a sex shop or a shop that sells sex? They are very different things.
    Atavan, your first time should be with someone who you care about or at least someone your drunk with, dont do it dude :D
    Save your cash for the beers and pokemons.

Agreed, "Gotta Catch 'Em All" really isn't referring to STD's...

Agreed, "Gotta Catch 'Em All" really isn't referring to STD's...

0.jpg

Certainly wouldn't want to go asking for Squirrtles or Jigglypuffs in that kind of establishment.

Atavan is begging to be photoshopped into that image & posted in the Meme thread.

Only about an hour inbto Super Metroid, and I'm all types of lost. This is going to take a while.

deathrider wrote: »
    Only about an hour inbto Super Metroid, and I'm all types of lost. This is going to take a while.

When you're done you'll have a choice, to jump straight into the GBA games, Zero and Fusion or go for the incredible Prime trilogy.
    Metroid Other M is sh1te, avoid, especially coming off something as superb as Super Metroid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

When you're done you'll have a choice, to jump straight into the GBA games, Zero and Fusion or go for the incredible Prime trilogy.
    Metroid Other M is sh1te, avoid, especially coming off something as superb as Super Metroid.

Other M is decent enough, if you ignore all the cut scenes and any of her voice acting.

Yeah apart from the godawful story and somewhat bumbled control scheme there's a lot of interesting things in Other M. Certainly was a nice change of pace as the Prime games were passed their prime by part three!

• Advertisement

I don't have a Wii, so I wouldn't be playing Other M anyways (it is Wii, right?), but so far I'm loving Super.

That's a great feeling to get from a game, all too rare these days though.

All glory to Dark Souls though for bringing that back, only €7.49 on Steam at the moment.

(Also, yes. Other M is actually a lot of fun, ignore the fan boy winging.)

Does anyone else hate the term "Metroidvania"? It just sounds so painfully uncreative.

DinoRex wrote: »
    That's a great feeling to get from a game, all too rare these days though.

All glory to Dark Souls though for bringing that back, only €7.49 on Steam at the moment.

(Also, yes. Other M is actually a lot of fun, ignore the fan boy winging.)

This is true. I played through a few of the Castlevania DS titles lately which all had the exact same effect on me. I love when you get a new weapon/ability and suddenly it clicks with you that you can now enter that room you saw hours ago on the other side of the entire game. Super Metroid is doing exactly what I wanted it to- It's Castlevania in space.

This is true. I played through a few of the Castlevania DS titles lately which all had the exact same effect on me. I love when you get a new weapon/ability and suddenly it clicks with you that you can now enter that room you saw hours ago on the other side of the entire game. Super Metroid is doing exactly what I wanted it to- It's Castlevania in space.

Well
    Castlevania is Metroid in a drafty old castle!
    Super Metroid did come first.

And I resent the fanboy label.
    Are you really suggesting Other M is better than Metroid Prime 3?
    It was less innovative than the second one but still very good and was one of the few first person titles on the Wii to use motion control perfectly, at least until the Metroid Prime Trilogy was released. Now that is pure perfection, if you can find it at a reasonable price.

I meant the people who outright refused to engage with Other M altogether because they didn't like Samus speaking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The baby.

See there's a new Strider game on the way... unfortunately it's by the crowd who did Silent Hill Homecoming.

It's doesn't look great. It has a boring Shadow Complex esque art style except even more boring and the gameplay doesn't look too hot. They made Strider a bullet sponge to make up for the lack of good game design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I was delighted to see the intro but then my hopes were dashed a few seconds later.

I don't understand how companies **** things up I thought market reasearch...or at least having a brain, prevented this!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement