Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide - Best Noughties Song - Tournament Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

oh postal vote pls

Can you accept a vote for PINK in case I am not around.

for reasons: girl power and more craic and emotions.

repeated cause voting open. thanks Necro!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Eminem lose yourself
    I love Pink and I nommed her too, but when it comes down to it Eminem is a poet, a true wordsmith, and he is lightening fast with lyrics, his rhyme schemes are class. He has a way of telling a story and this song is just one example of many of how amazing and talented he is. Also I nominated it and am delighted he got this far.

I wasn't around over the weekend so I missed a lot of this.

I love P!nk and I'm happy she made it this far but... I'm partially going to vote against her because I see she knocked Johnny Cash Hurt out and that's not right but moreso because Lose Yourself is just a far superior song. Eminem gets my vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Eminem - Lose Yourself - like them both, but this is the more iconic of the two and the one you're more likely to think of first when it comes to the 2000s. Also, Mom's Spaghetti.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Eminem - Loose Yourself

While Pink is great, I don't think it has any business being in the final. I was a big fan of Eminem back then, loved his first few albums, still listen to them. Haven't followed his later stuff though. Loose yourself, while I think the movie 8 mile was good, I think the song is superior. The opening piano piece, then the guitar riff kicks in, just a thing of beauty. Of course the lyrics, wow....and it's one of my picks, well deserving winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

This is a hard one. I far prefer the Pink song but I really don't think it is a worthy finalist.

Eminem was huge during the 2000s and if I had to pick one of his songs this would be the one I would pick. A million miles away from the type of music I listen to but it is a cracking tune and I think it will make a more worthy winner in the end.

However I am voting for the song I prefer despite not rating it close to the best song of the 2000s

Pink

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'll reiterate my support for Eminem - Lose Yourself. IMO Eminem's best work. One of the best soundtracks to a motion picture too and oh so relevant. The video is stellar also. It's self aware, it's grim, it's gritty, it's cool and it's better than Pink's offering here.

Seriously, wtf is Pink doing in the final?

LOSE YOURSELF - Eminem. He’s brilliant and very deserving of a final place. It’s a shame he’s not against a more worthy opponent as to be up against Pink is a disservice to music.

Ps: I should have entered Cleaning Out My Closet but ran outta space.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,351 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Pink for me please.

I grew up listening to Pink and this is a very good song. As previously stated, I hate Eminem so would never give him my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

pink because Eminem is not a colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

sKeith wrote: »
    pink because Eminem is not a colour.

He's several...

Plain-M%26Ms-Pile.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Eminem

Because Pinks song is not as good as his is.

Also, she defeated at least 3 songs which I think were superior to hers (although I do like hers) so I reckon the only reason she is in the final is because of Omackeral's famous ultra-liberal views meaning that he wanted both a female and a person of colour in the final and so here we are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok I'm back earlier than expected.

Last chance to get your votes in people :)

Voting closes at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Omackeral's famous ultra-liberal views meaning that he wanted both a female and a person of colour in the final and so here we are.

I tried to vote for Aretha Franklin but the racists misogynists wouldn't let me.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I tried to vote for Aretha Franklin but the racists misogynists wouldn't let me.

Make sure you vote for her in the 60s comp if she makes an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Eminem - it's a better song.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Just back home and I think I barely make the voting deadline?

Eminem from me please.
    I like both songs, but Eminem's song is so powerful that changed my opinion of him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

And the polls are closed.

All day long people have been voting to determine the Greatest Song of the Noughties (as decided by Boardsies)

And we have a winner....

Pink - Just Like A Pill 5 14 Eminem - Lose Yourself

Storming home with a 9 vote winning margin - your winner...

Eminem - Lose Yourself!!!!!

Marshall Mathers joins the lofty alumni of previous tournament winners, namely

Goodfellas (Best Movie)
    The Lost Boys (Best Horror Movie)
    Saving Private Ryan (Best War Movie)
    Die Hard (Best Christmas Movie)

99 Ice Cream Cone (Best Ice Cream/Ice Pop)

Father Ted (Best TV Show)

Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper (Best One Hit Wonder)
    Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (Best 70s song)
    Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart (Best 80s song)
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (Best 90s song)

And our multi nominations:

Multiple Nominations Number
    Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out (2004) 6
    Eminem - Lose Yourself (2002) 5
    Evanescence - Bring Me To Life 4
    White Stripes - Seven Nation Army (2003) 4
    Linkin Park - In The End 4
    The Killers - Mr Brightside 3
    Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head 3
    Snow Patrol - Run 3
    Eminem feat. Dido - Stan (2000) 3
    Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood 3
    OutKast - Hey ya 3
    The Strokes - Last Night 3
    M.I.A - Paper Planes (2007) 2
    Bat for Lashes - Daniel 2
    Smashing Pumpkins - Stand Inside Your Love 2
    My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade 2
    Linkin Park - Numb - 2003 2
    Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head At? 2
    Will Young - Leave Right Now (2003) 2
    Sophie Ellis Bextor-Murder On The Dancefloor (2001 - UK: #2, Ireland: #7) 2
    Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (2006) 2
    OutKast - Ms. Jackson 2
    Kelis - milkshake 2
    R.E.M. - Imitation of Life (2001) 2
    Pink - Get The Party Started 2
    Nickelback - How You Remind Me 2
    Coldplay - Clocks 2
    Foo Fighters - Best of You 2
    Amy Winehouse - Back to Black 2
    Arcade Fire - Wake Up 2
    The Zutons - Valerie (2006) 2
    White Stripes - Hotel Yorba (2001) 2

The tournament's credibility game into question a couple of times but we have a worthy winner. A true masterpiece.

Commiserations to the over-35s.

A well ran ship once again, Necro.

• Advertisement

Great work Necro! Thanks a million for the effort

A worthy winner I think :)
    (unlike some of the other contests you mentioned!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Fair play for running things Necro, was a fun tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great going Necro, super contest. A worthy winner.

Good to see the 2 most nominated songs in the last few!
    I Like Eminem, not the most of the noughties, but not a bad winner.

My nominations, most gone fairly early

Amy Winehouse - tears dry on their own 2007

Arctic Monkeys - when the sun goes down 2006

The Coral - Dreaming of you 2002

MGMT - Time to pretend 2008

Bon Iver - Skinny Love 2008

The White Stripes - seven nation army 2003

Evanascence - Bring me to life 2003

The Raconteurs - Steady as she goes 2006

Empire of the sun - Walking on a dream 2004

The Libertines - Cant stand me now 2004

Thanks very much necro

And the remainder of the submissions

Column A Column B Column C Column D
    3 Doors Down - Here Without You Empire of the sun - Walking on a dream 2004 Modest Mouse - Float On (2004) The National - Fake Empire
    50 Cent - In Da Club (2003) Enrique Inglesias - Hero Modjo - Lady (Hear Me Tonight) The Postal Service - Such Great Heights
    AC/DC - Rock N Roll Train Estelle-American Boy Moloko - The Time Is Now The Raconteurs - Steady as she goes 2006
    Adele - Chasing Pavements Evanescence - My Immortal Mumford & Sons - The Cave The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (2006)
    Afroman "Because I Got High" #1 27/10/2001 Feeder - Feeling A Moment Muse - Uprising (2009) The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
    Alan Jackson & Jimmy Buffet - It's Five O Clock Somewhere Flaming Lips - Do You Realise? Nightwish - Nemo The Verve - Love Is Noise
    All Saints - Pure Shores Florence and the Machine-Rabbit Heart (2009 - UK: #12, Ireland: #41) Nightwish - The Islander The xx - Crystalised
    Amy Winehouse - Rehab Foo Fighters - The Pretender Nirvana - You Know You're Right (2002) Tony Christie featuring Peter Kay "Is This the Way to Amarillo" #1 26/3/2005
    Amy Winehouse - tears dry on their own 2007 Gary Jules - Mad World Oasis - The Importance of Being Idle Trash Fashion-It's A Rave Dave
    Any Winehouse - Valerie Girls Aloud - Sound of the Underground Offspring - Want you bad - 2000 Type O Negative - I Don't Wanna Be Me
    Arcade Fire - Neighbourhood #3 (Power Out) Goldfrapp - Strict Machine Ol' Dirty Bastard feat. Kelis Got Your Money (released in UK in 2000) U2 - Beautiful Day
    Arcade Fire-Keep The Car Running (2007 - UK: #56, USA Modern Rock Chart: #32) Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams Papa Roach - Last Resort - 2000 Usher - Yeah!
    Arctic Monkeys - when the sun goes down 2006 Greenday - Waiting Pearl Jam - Just Breathe - 2009 Vampire Weekend - A-Punk
    Audioslave - Cochise Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl (2004) Peter Kay's Animated All Star Band "The Official BBC Children in Need Medley" #1 5/12/2009 Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa (2008)
    Audioslave - Like A Stone - 2003 Incubus - Drive Pink - Just Like A Pill Weezer - Island In The Sun
    Avril Lavigne - Complicated - 2002 Interpol - Obstacle 1 Placebo-Running Up That Hill Westlife - What About Now
    Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi (2002) Iron Maiden - Wildest Dreams Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag
    Baha Men - Who Let The Dogs Out James Blunt - You're Beautiful Puddle of Mudd - Blurry - 2001 Will Young - Evergreen
    Ben Folds-Rockin The Suburbs Jay Z feat Alicia Keys - Empire State of mind Puddle of Mudd - She Hates Me Within Temptation - What Have You Done?
    Beyonce ft. JayZ - Crazy in Love Jay Z-99 Problems Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
    Black Eyed Peas "Where Is the Love?" #1 13/9/2003 Jimmy Eat World - Sweetness Radiohead - Jigsaw Falling Into Place
    Black Eyed Peas I gotta feeling JJ72 - October Swimmer Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop
    Blink 182 - Feeling This - 2003 Johnny Cash - Hurt Regina Spektor - Laughing With
    Blink 182 - I Miss You Justin Timberlake - Cry Me A River (2002) Rihanna feat. Jay-Z - Umbrella
    Blu Cantrell feat. Sean Paul - Breathe Kasabian - Fire Scissor Sisters - Mary (2003)
    Bob the Builder "Mambo No. 5" #1 15/9/2001 Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl (2008) Scissor Sisters-I Don't Feel Like Dancin' (2006 - UK: #1, Ireland: #2)
    Bon Iver - Skinny Love 2008 Kelly Clarkson - Since You've Been Gone Scooter - The Logical Song
    Bon Jovi - It's My Life Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow - Picture Shaggy - It Wasn't Me
    Britney Spears - Oops! I Did It Again Kings of Leon - Use Somebody Shakira - Whenever, Wherever (2001)
    Britney Spears-Toxic (2004 - UK: #1, Ireland: #1, USA: #9) Kings of Leon -Sex on Fire Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye
    Cascada - Everytime We Touch (2005) La Roux-In For The Kill (2009 - UK: #2, Ireland: #11) Slipknot - Snuff - 2009
    Christina Aguilera - Lady Marmalade Lacuna Coil - Heaven's A Lie Snoop Dogg - Drop It Like Its Hot
    Coldplay - Fix You Lady GaGa - Pokerface Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
    Craig David - 7 Days Lady Gaga-Just Dance (2008 - UK: #1, Ireland: #1, USA: #1) Soggy Bottom Boys - Man of Constant Sorrow
    Crazy Frog "Axel F" #1 4/6/2005 Lady Gaga-Paparazzi Staind - So Far Away - 2003
    Daft Punk - Around the World LCD Soundsystem - North American Scum (2006) Stereophonics - Dakota
    Damien Rice - Cannonball Leann Rimes - Can't Fight The Moonlight Stone Sour - Through Glass
    Daniel Merriweather - Red Lemon Jelly - Nice Weather For Ducks Sum 41 - Fat Lip
    Depeche Mode - Precious Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz - Get Low (2002) Sum 41 - In Too Deep
    Destiny's Child - Independent Women (2001) Limp Bizkit-Rollin Sum 41 - The Hell Song
    DJ Sammy - Heaven Linkin Park - Shadow of the Day T.I. feat Rihanna - Live Your Life
    DMX - X Gon Give It To Ya Linkin Park & Jay-Z - Numb/Encore Tenacious D - Tribute
    Elbow - One Day Like This Manic Street Preachers - The Love Of Richard Nixon The Bravery - Honest Mistake
    Elvis Presley "It's Now or Never" #1 5/2/2005 Maroon 5 - Won't Go Home Without You The Coral - Dreaming of you 2002
    Elvis Presley "Jailhouse Rock" #1 15/12005 McCabe and Bukspan - Maniac 2000 (2000) The Dandy Warhols-Bohemian Like You (2000/2001 - UK: #5, Ireland: #17)
    Elvis Presley "One Night" / "I Got Stung" #1 22/1/2005 MGMT - Electric Feel The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger (2006)
    Elvis Presley vs. JXL "A Little Less Conversation" #1 22/6/2002 MGMT - Time to pretend 2008 The Killers - Smile Like You Mean It
    Eminem - The real slim shady Mic Christopher - Heyday The Killers-Human (2007 - UK: #3, Ireland: #4, USA: 42)
    Eminem feat. Nate Dogg - Shake That Michael Jackson - You Rock My World The Knife - We Share Our Mother's Health

Necro wrote: »
    And our multi nominations:

Multiple Nominations Number
    Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out (2004) 6
    Eminem - Lose Yourself (2002) 5
    Evanescence - Bring Me To Life 4
    White Stripes - Seven Nation Army (2003) 4
    Linkin Park - In The End 4

I nominated 4 of those 5 (all bar White Stripes), what a waste :p

Commiserations to the over-35s.

You have such a strange attitude

My nominations

M.I.A - Paper Planes (2007)

Eminem - Stan (2000)

Eminem - Lose Yourself (2002)

Fiddy Pence - In Da Club (2003)

Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl (2004)

Cascada - Everytime We Touch (2005)

Destiny's Child - Independent Women (2001)

Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi (2002)

Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz - Get Low (2002)

Maniac 2000 - McCabe and Bukspan (2000)

For me, I think it was probably won in the last 16 when Lose Yourself knocked out Teenage Dirtbag.

Both songs had huge momentum before that, just the luck of the draw really. Probably was really Lose Yourself's final as nothing else came close to beating it really.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    You have such a strange attitude

I think he jokes :D

Advertisement