Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide - Best Noughties Song - Tournament Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

1. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out - The first time I heard this I was in the shower and during the intro I was thinking “Who’s this trying to be The Strokes?” but once that ruff kicked in...yesss

2. White Stripes - Seven Nation Army - Not a big Gorillaz fan anyway but it’s not their best song (Dare). Seven Nation Army much better.

3. Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head - Not even for the song. I’ve been in love with this woman since I was 8 :)

4. Eminem - Lose Yourself - Toughest of the quarters for me but this is my favourite Eminem song. Has a nice gritty edge to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Eminem feat. Dido - Stan - Close, but Stan edges this for me. A great story telling song, well crafted by Eminem.
    Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood - Great intro, love the harmonica throughout. Just a really catchy enjoyable song.
    Pink - Just Like A Pill - Pink is just a straight up a better song here.
    Eminem - Lose Yourself - Best song of the lot, could listen to this forever. Perfectly put together - every piece of it is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Match 1
    Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
    Voting for this as I hate Eminem

Match 2
    White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
    Great anthem and also the walk on song for MvG (which I can't get out of my head now)

Match 3
    Pink - Just Like A Pill
    No competition here. Pink is leagues ahead of Kylie, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence

Match 4
    The Strokes - Las Night
    Same reason as match 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

holy **** did someone just say mingoue was a better singer then pink

Call the insane asylum someone has escaped

Not as controversial as someone (I assume unironically) voting for Pink over Kylie as they don't want a pop song winning

It's a stomper

I love the white stripes

Pink - Just Like A Pill
    She's not Kylie

The Strokes - Last Night
    A very good tune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Eminem feat. Dido - Stan
    I was in the US on the J1 in the Summer of 2000 and Eminem was everywhere. I really got into his music after that and was obsessed with this song. Loved the material he did with Dr.Dre too.

I like both songs here again in fact I like all of the songs that got through for once but White Stripes takes the lead here as it never gets old and still sounds fresh.

Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
    Love Kylie, upbeat song. Suffered a bit from being overplayed but the better song in this contest.

Eminem - Lose Yourself
    This is actually one of my least favourite Eminem songs but can't vote against him (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Not as controversial as someone (I assume unironically) voting for Pink over Kylie as they don't want a pop song winning

My exact words were pure pop s**t in reference to Kylie - I didn't say P!nk wasn't also pop, in the words of the woman herself you're "being a little b*tch"

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Match 1
    Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out. One of my nominations, and I can't stand Eminem.

Match 2
    Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood. My other nomination still in the running.

Match 3
    Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head. It's infuriatingly catchy.

Match 4
    The Strokes - Last Night. Oh wait, I still have three nominations going! And did I mention that I can't stand Eminem?

Ah im only ****ing around dude, tbh dont mean any offence by any comments I make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Ah im only ****ing around dude, tbh dont mean any offence by any comments I make

Oh I know, but I'll defend the honour of the lovely Kylie to the death if needs be

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Under 30 minutes remain - only a few votes seperate each song

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Eminem feat. Dido - Stan - cause the other is blah blah blah blah

Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood cause Gorillaz are amazing and dancey and were so NEW.

Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head Pink - Just Like A Pill - jesus christ = PINK please I guess

Eminem - Lose Yourself - it;s tough I like that strokes song too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Eminem-Stan
    I like the Dido vocal.

Gorillaz -Clint Eastwood
    Damon Albarn wrote great songs in Blur and Seven Nation Army sucks.

Pink-Just Like A Pill
    I've just discovered this song in this thread. It's the one diamond in the rough.

Eminem-Lose Yourself
    Intense song.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Necro wrote: »
    Under 30 minutes remain - only a few votes seperate each song

Where’s my recount for the killers?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Necrina

Match 3: Pink - Just Like A Pill

Always been a Pink fan and love this song

Match 4: Eminem - Lose Yourself

One of my favourite Eminem songs

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Green&Red wrote: »
    Where’s my recount for the killers?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Pink - The only song I like from the last 8. For a decade with some brilliant songs I can't believe this is what's left standing

lassykk wrote: »
    Pink - The only song I like from the last 8. For a decade with some brilliant songs I can't believe this is what's left standing

Throw a vote on Gorillaz and Franz Ferdinand there for me for old times sake lassykk, since you're indifferent to what goes through anyway... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

giphy.gif

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f292ed44a84169582de6a5b1c5222c0db5b57229278&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Gorrilaz - cos I like blur

Franz Ferdinand cos I remember moshing to it in the Forum in Waterford

Mainly cos my shared music taste with a fellow boardsie which diverges somewhat on the final 8 songs ;)

• Advertisement

less than ten minutes to vote - just a single vote separates two of the matches

lassykk wrote: »
    Mainly cos my shared music taste with a fellow boardsie which diverges somewhat on the final 8 songs ;)

giphy.gif

Voting Closed

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out 9 8 Eminem feat. Dido - Stan
    Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood 9 8 White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
    Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head 7 11 Pink - Just Like A Pill
    The Strokes - Last Night 6 11 Eminem - Lose Yourself

Winners in bold above - I discounted votes without reasons - namely... all 4 of GnR's votes and Clarabel's Pink vote.

They are
    Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
    Pink - Just Like A Pill
    Eminem - Lose Yourself

Say hello to your semi-finalists!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ah ffs, i lost 3 out of 4 of my remaining nominations in that round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

oh nice, one of my nominations still in!!!

Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out 9 8 Eminem feat. Dido - Stan

tenor.gif?itemid=10661695

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Cooool one of my songs made it to semis!!!

My job here is done gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For what has undoubtedly been my least favourite decade for music, somehow I still have two left in the competition.

Advertisement