Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon fire tv stick 4k Ultra £29.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭crank_1975

Anyone got a working apk for RTE player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭PreCocious

crank_1975 wrote: »

Anyone got a working RTE Player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Apple tv app is also on the Firestick for anyone interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Setting the Firestick country to USA will give you the USA apps. I'm not sure what system Shield works on but for android you set up a usa Gmail account. Then you have access to the USA apps like disney. I pay for disney through play store

So for the shield I did the following.
    1. Created a new Google account, with my home country set to USA.
    2. Activated my VPN on the Shield, set to USA
    3. Went into settings and selected the Google play store - clear data and forced closed.
    4. Opened up the play store under the USA profile account.

Disney Plus appeared for me, just downloaded it, signed up for the trial, and away it went, the kids are loving it so far, I might have a nosey around in it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

jeffk wrote: »
    Just about to post myself

About 16 cheaper and not waiting for amazon to send it to a courier then them to deliver

I THINK pictures the main thing you lose, make slower or less ram etc

But sure do the job

Got and setup two non 4k and have 4k I got via prime day

Can't see THAT much different, not one that would make you pay double

I know if you have a 4k TV, but then how much 4k.content will most people get with what most use these for (IPTV)

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    Got and setup two non 4k and have 4k I got via prime day

Can't see THAT much different, not one that would make you pay double

I know if you have a 4k TV, but then how much 4k.content will most people get with what most use these for (IPTV)

The difference between 4k & regular firestick is 10. 4K isn't double the price.

4K stick is better & faster than the regular one. I'ts worth bearing in mind that the likes of |Netflix will no longer work on earlier firesticks 1st Gen for example. I would imagine that apps will no longer be supported on regular stick quicker than the 4K stick so the extra 10 is not just future proofing your viewing experience (as much as you can with entertainment goods) but extending the lifespan of the stick itself.

On 4K content All Amazon originals & Netflix are 4K & HDR. Disney Plus have a large selection of 4k HDR movies. I'd say 40 percent of what I view is 4K HDR & that could jump to 80 percent in the next two years as almost every program & movie being made now is 4K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

The difference between 4k & regular firestick is 10. 4K isn't double the price.

4K stick is better & faster than the regular one. I'ts worth bearing in mind that the likes of |Netflix will no longer work on earlier firesticks 1st Gen for example. I would imagine that apps will no longer be supported on regular stick quicker than the 4K stick so the extra 10 is not just future proofing your viewing experience (as much as you can with entertainment goods) but extending the lifespan of the stick itself.

On 4K content All Amazon originals & Netflix are 4K & HDR. Disney Plus have a large selection of 4k HDR movies. I'd say 40 percent of what I view is 4K HDR & that could jump to 80 percent in the next two years as almost every program & movie being made now is 4K

Non 4k argos 23 euro
    4k from Amazon with courier as won't deliver to Ireland around 30 euro

As I said most people will get these to get the usual apps and iptv services

I do agree about future proof myself, but most people won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'ts worth bearing in mind that the likes of |Netflix will no longer work on earlier firesticks 1st Gen for example. I would imagine that apps will no longer be supported on regular stick quicker than the 4K stick so the extra 10 is not just future proofing your viewing experience (as much as you can with entertainment goods) but extending the lifespan of the stick itself.

Shudder also doesn't work on the OG firestick, only works on the newer models (with Alexa)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

crank_1975 wrote: »
    This one works on my non-4k Fire TV Stick: https://forum.xda-developers.com/fire-tv/themes-apps/apk-request-all4-itvhub-my5-rt-player-t3381704/post78776334#post78776334

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Anyone finding addresspal slow for their Fire 4K delivery coming through. Received in UK on 21st ( Thursday) and has still not arrived at my local post office. Maybe they are just bombarded with blackfriday shopping and I need to be a bit more patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Tweaky wrote: »
    Anyone finding addresspal slow for their Fire 4K delivery coming through. Received in UK on 21st ( Thursday) and has still not arrived at my local post office. Maybe they are just bombarded with blackfriday shopping and I need to be a bit more patient.

Mine is slow as well

This is the time of year when people start threads about delivery delays. Usually from Black Friday week to January. I run a small mail order business in Ireland & had some parcels sit for a month in Dublin parcel hub with An Post. Some of these parcels were only going from one part of Dublin to another. It's gotten much since An Post got the contract for Amazon two day delivery. They seem to prioritize Amazon parcels at everyone elses expense in order to keep the contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ripped through with Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Wynnie12

Soarer wrote: »
    Ripped through with Parcel Motel.

Same as, from up North, to Dublin depot and to PM locker within 12 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

And Parcel Wizard, arrived their depot today, delivers to door in the morn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

This is the time of year when people start threads about delivery delays. Usually from Black Friday week to January. I run a small mail order business in Ireland & had some parcels sit for a month in Dublin parcel hub with An Post. Some of these parcels were only going from one part of Dublin to another. It's gotten much since An Post got the contract for Amazon two day delivery. They seem to prioritize Amazon parcels at everyone elses expense in order to keep the contract

Based on this and other feedback I'll be back using Parcel Motel going forward.

I ordered stuff on Amazon on Sunday night (11ish) and had it here this morning. From an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

Same here.. Delivered to UK hub last Thursday in under 24 hours.. Haven't heard anything from them since.You'd be expecting them to have extra capacity from now until end of January at least.

Tweaky wrote:
    Based on this and other feedback I'll be back using Parcel Motel going forward.

I agree but there was a thread giving out about parcel motel two years ago
    I ordered stuff on Amazon on Sunday night (11ish) and had it here this morning. From an post.

This is my point. An Post let regular parcels pile up for weeks on end & focus on Amazon. If they are late with Amazon parcels right through December then they will loose the Amazon contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Lads, it's online order silly season. Things will be delayed. If you're in a rush to get something, don't buy it online this time of year. That's the reality of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

I ordered my firestick sunday afternoon and recieved it this morning with Parcel motel. Happy with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Ordered mine on Sunday it arrived at parcel wizard hub at 10:30pm last night and was signed for.
    I didn't even know they had people working there at that time to sign for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Got mine 10 minutes ago. 35 quid from currys.ie + a fiver for DPD delivery. All took 2 days. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Mine was delivered Friday & at my PO today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

joujoujou wrote: »
    Got mine 10 minutes ago. 35 quid from currys.ie + a fiver for DPD delivery. All took 2 days. :cool:

As said previously this is not a 4k Ultra one which why its cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

JonnyM wrote: »
    As said previously this is not a 4k Ultra one which why its cheaper

the 4k is 35 euro from curries.
    you still need to pay delivery so there is no reason to get it over amazon.
    also cannot confirm if it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen. quite possible they have stock of an older version whereas amazon should be pushing the most recent one.

if someone doesnt have parcel motel already this is probably the easier option at very similar price

Fire stick 4k - 40 euro (35 euro + 5 delivery) - same price as amazon
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-with-alexa-voice-remote-10188019-pdt.html

Fire stick standard with updated remote. 23 euro argos (cheaper than amazon)
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8798723.htm

kenyard wrote: »
    the 4k is 35 euro from curries.
    you still need to pay delivery so there is no reason to get it over amazon.
    also cannot confirm if it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen. quite possible they have stock of an older version whereas amazon should be pushing the most recent one.

if someone doesnt have parcel motel already this is probably the easier option at very similar price

Fire stick 4k - 40 euro (35 euro + 5 delivery) - same price as amazon
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/set-top-boxes/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-with-alexa-voice-remote-10188019-pdt.html

Fire stick standard with updated remote. 23 euro argos (cheaper than amazon)
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8798723.htm

Easy way to tell the difference in first, second and third generation sticks.

First generation, no mic button for Alexa, and so no Alexa.

Second generation, mic button for Alexa, so Alexa included with stick.

Third generation, mic button for Alexa, but also dedicated buttons for the TV being used, ie volume +/- , mute button and power buttons.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Easy way to tell the difference in first, second and third generation sticks.

First generation, no mic button for Alexa, and so no Alexa.

Second generation, mic button for Alexa, so Alexa included with stick.

Third generation, mic button for Alexa, but also dedicated buttons for the TV being used, ie volume +/- , mute button and power buttons.

Hope this helps.

I had thought this about the 1st gen but they seem to have updated them with the Alexa remote at some point. I bought the VPN from another thread and was adamant I had 2nd gen the whole time when it didn't work (1st gen doesn't work with the VPN). I found the below online which shows that you can tell by the serial number on the back of the firestick as to whether it is 1st or 2nd gen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

Simplest/best way to get Amazon to change my location settings to UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

podge018 wrote: »
    Simplest/best way to get Amazon to change my location settings to UK?
    Live chat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

toby2111 wrote: »
    Live chat

What's the procedure here?
    Do you have to give them an address etc, or just ask them to change your location to UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭TriStar6

toby2111 wrote: »
    Live chat

I tried that but the guy spent a while doing things and then said he couldn't do it:mad:
    Is there a particular way to have your card or address setup first and then whats the best wording to ask them to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

TriStar6 wrote: »
    I tried that but the guy spent a while doing things and then said he couldn't do it:mad:
    Is there a particular way to have your card or address setup first and then whats the best wording to ask them to do?

Did you change your devices location to UK? It's in your Amazon settings 'Manage Your Content and Devices'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I have one of these gathering dust... Do they work in Ireland or do you have to do something specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

TriStar6 wrote: »

Go to
    Amazon.com/mycd
    Go to devices tab
    Select to move your device to UK. Or something similar
    It's in preferences section and change locale to uk.
    You will need to restart device after for it to take effect most likely

It will now be in
    Amazon.co.uk/mycd

I updated my address on UK account with my parcel motel and set as default also.
    Worked on phone then.

You don't need to talk to customer support.
    Note that you could have it in amazon.de/mycd or fr or it.
    For most it's the USA though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

Hope this helps.

That's the very one I got from currys. 4k Mk3 it is so. :D

Considering Amazon won't ship to Ireland (hence the likes of PM/PW/etc must be paid for), price is very similar, and in case of any problem - hassle free returns. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Xcellor wrote: »
    I have one of these gathering dust... Do they work in Ireland or do you have to do something specific.

Yes these are brilliant little piece of kit that can be used for multiple online streaming apps e.g. Nelflix, BBC player, Channel 4, ITV Hub, Daily motion and many more. Definitely worth the money, in fact just ordered two off Currys site a few mins ago. Surprised the order went through as the store don't sell them but I was able to order online.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

Anyone able to get rte player app working on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

You must have a very dusty house, they were released in Oct 2018 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

winter2019 wrote: »
    Anyone able to get rte player app working on it?

A few posts there is a link to an rte player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Could someone pm me the best free things to add on this .Have one reserved for Argos (just regular one with Alexa )
    I haven’t a clue about these but would love to be able to set one up and get the most from it
    Thanks

Is yours a first generation one?

If so, upgrade now when they're half price, cos the gen1s will break your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭TriStar6

Did all that. No success. Even went back to chat with no success again. It works on all devices I gave apart from the 4K firestick
    kenyard wrote: »
    Go to
    Amazon.com/mycd
    Go to devices tab
    Select to move your device to UK. Or something similar

It will now be in
    Amazon.co.uk/mycd

I updated my address on UK account with my parcel motel and set as default also.
    Worked on phone then.

You don't need to talk to customer support.
    Note that you could have it in amazon.de/mycd or fr or it.
    For most it's the USA though

can’t change it either, no such option in devices tab. All I can do is change the name, deregister it, or delete voice recordings.

can’t change it either, no such option in devices tab. All I can do is change the name, deregister it, or delete voice recordings.

Is this on a computer? You go to content and devices and then preferences.

71WfvEW.jpg

thanks, done that. Changed location in preferences on firetv device too, still didn't work. Got onto chat, they told me to restart device and it should work. It did. Not sure if they changed some setting or it was just the restart that done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭_John C

thanks, done that. Changed location in preferences on firetv device too, still didn't work. Got onto chat, they told me to restart device and it should work. It did. Not sure if they changed some setting or it was just the restart that done it.

Did u say u were in Ireland or the UK?
    Did they ask you for a UK payment method?

They told me, I needed a UK address, UK payment method and a UK IP address !!!

I have my Address Pal UK address but I dont have a UK payment method so they said they couldnt help me and it would only work with an older firestick

no I didn't have to say anything like that, I just said my fire tv wouldn't update to my new location and play Prime videos. I had changed the location as above, and set my default postal address to my parcel motel one as I'd seen somebody say here. I'd also changed the fire tv settings, preferences, location to the same post code as the parcel motel one.

They have to change a setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ThePott

How exactly do I get access to American content on this?

I have a vpn installed and running and it hasn't changed anything.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement