Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks to open in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Aha ! The big cube that shed a windowpane onto the street a few years ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,142 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thomas Street seems to be a bit of a mecca for coffee shops lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Its the big empty glass building built where Javas used to be and its in the centre of an area thats already has about 13 cafes within a block radius.

Is this it?

photo%203_m.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

That's it.

It's become a popular street in general to go for food or a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

So thats what a "Retail Center" looks like ........... doh ! ....obvious now I look at it ....

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I suppose it's no bad thing that they are coming and it won't affect other businesses too badly as nobody who likes coffee will go in there anyway, as I say big multinationals are good for the overall look and will be popular for tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

nobody who likes coffee will go in there anyway,

:D Their coffee is not for me either, but won't do the city center any harm.
    It really needs new retailers though...its still miserable in that regard imo

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Love love love it can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

vkid wrote: »
    :D Their coffee is not for me either, but won't do the city center any harm.
    It really needs new retailers though...its still miserable in that regard imo

Yeah it's just another dull, ubiquitous brand for me to avoid but I'm sure some people will be sad enough to come in to town purely to hang out there or more than likely to avail of the free Wi-Fi!

I just hope their arrival doesn't hurt some of the decent independent coffee shops in town. After all they can't all keep pulling customers from the same shallow pool without a significant injection of new employment in to the city centre.

You're absolutely right about the lack of quality retailers as well. We haven't seen a significant arrival in years. The offering is incredibly jaded and limited. There has been a huge amount of talk about the need to entice high profile brands to the city but pretty much nothing has been achieved in that regard. No sign of any new retail accommodation coming on stream either.

This is in stark contrast to Cork city centre for instance where Penneys are about to commence a major expansion, existing premises are being renovated for new occupiers and a significant new retail development is also in planning. Meanwhile in Limerick all that's happening is an expansion of the centra on O'Connell Street in to an adjoining unit which in itself is a wasted opportunity!

Almost two years on from the much vaunted 2030 plan we haven't even seen a single CGI of potential plans! Much of Patrick Street and Rutland Street remains an embarrassment too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Now if only we can get the upper floors of the same building filled with some offices...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Exactly. Along with finally getting the "hanging gardens" project on Henry Street completed. Six years after work ground to a halt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Tiger is a fairly decent retailer that really will give a boost to Cruises street and surrounds.

I think a lot of people on here are being a bit snobby about Starbucks. The reality is that there are pretty much no late night coffee shops opened in Limerick. Apart from The Stormy Teacup, which can be difficult to get a seat in, there is no place in the city centre where you can comfortably relax with a cup of coffee with no radio stations or pop music blaring out really loud in your ear. Starbucks couldn't come quick enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Vanquished wrote: »
    Exactly. Along with finally getting the "hanging gardens" project on Henry Street completed. Six years after work ground to a halt!

Have a chat with NAMA. That's their baby now, so don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

If you could transport most of what the Crescent Shopping Centre has shop wise into the city, to go with the likes of Debenhams, Easons, Currys etc then it might be worth going into the City regularly.

I was a regular Saturday morning person into town until about 2 years ago and then HMV and others closed. Only go in now if I am desperate to buy something which is rare.

Limerick City has become a glorified Coffee Shop/Cafe area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

What does Limerick City want to offer people?

At the moment it seems to be coffee, a haircut and little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

No offence to the business in Arthurs Quay but my god that place is plummeting awfully I think. Big empty unit where the pharmacy was, empty unit where lifestyle was. It's becoming a horrible shopping centre with no big name stores in it.

We need something like opera lane in Cork I feel.

Maybe Starbucks if it succeeds enough might attract more big businesses to the area. Thomas Street down to Bedford row could really become like the old cruises street if the right companies occupied the street and that area of O Connell street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Jofspring wrote: »
    No offence to the business in Arthurs Quay but my god that place is plummeting awfully I think. Big empty unit where the pharmacy was, empty unit where lifestyle was. It's becoming a horrible shopping centre with no big name stores in it.

We need something like opera lane in Cork I feel.

Maybe Starbucks if it succeeds enough might attract more big businesses to the area. Thomas Street down to Bedford row could really become like the old cruises street if the right companies occupied the street and that area of O Connell street.

Yeah, it's actually depressing in there now. They'll be knocking it in the future anyway, or at least plan to, so I don't think any businesses planning to run long term will go into those units.

As little as I care for starbucks, and cafes in general, you're right, they've the power to draw in other businesses who will be looking to be close to a new successful multinational and the best part about it? None of them will be cafes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I suppose it's no bad thing that they are coming and it won't affect other businesses too badly as nobody who likes coffee will go in there anyway, as I say big multinationals are good for the overall look and will be popular for tourists.

I live in london where there is a pret, costa and Starbucks on every high st. Most english towns/cities are indistinguishable due to homogenization, they suck the character out of towns.
    I understand where your coming from though. Its hard to know what to do with a city like limerick, tacky high street shops is probably the order of the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Shoes

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    25 years ago when it was first built it was depressing. I remember even as a young kid being disappointed with the place.
    One thing that depressed me more than anything was when the Savoy got knocked. The cinema and all the arcade machines; gone. Bastards! :)

Anyways, my opinion on Starbucks.. Yes it is like every other, they are in every town etc etc. That's just it though. Every successful big town or city has one. It's off the beaten track a bit too so will attract people up that way.

See the trade that Costa is doing? People like the place, people like brands. People are superficial. Everyone is. Competition is good. The nice independent coffee shops will stay. The crap ones won't stand the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭true567

bigpink wrote: »
    Can't link on mobile but set to open
    Good to see but can't help to affect alot of smaller coffee places

But that is why it isn't good to see. It is a multi national corporation- we should support local or even national establishments with our money.

The ironic thing about Starbucks in America (and other places) is that its generally a liberal/hipster crowd but yet they are supporting a massive corporation and contributing to corporatism and the collapse of small businesses.

true567 wrote: »
    But that is why it isn't good to see. It is a multi national corporation- we should support local or even national establishments with our money.

The ironic thing about Starbucks in America (and other places) is that its generally a liberal/hipster crowd but yet they are supporting a massive corporation and contributing to corporatism and the collapse of small businesses.

You can't stop people spending their money how they like and you shouldn't prevent a large multinational like Starbucks from setting up in the city. It will bring people in, sure they might go there instead of the other 50 coffee shops in Limerick but they will spend in other shops too.

You are right about the liberal/hipster thing. There's quite a lot of those around here. At least they'll have somewhere to talk about Richard Dawkins and do up anti water protest posters on their macbook pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭true567

You can't stop people spending their money how they like and you shouldn't prevent a large multinational like Starbucks from setting up in the city. It will bring people in, sure they might go there instead of the other 50 coffee shops in Limerick but they will spend in other shops too.

You are right about the liberal/hipster thing. There's quite a lot of those around here. At least they'll have somewhere to talk about Richard Dawkins and do up anti water protest posters on their macbook pros.

HAHAH. I once took a class with someone discussing the vast amounts of wealth disparity in the world and rise of corporatism while drinking a Starbucks on a MacBook Pro- I pointed it out and he became red; he clearly got every word from somewhere else.

But no I agree you cannot stop them, nor should you be able to. All I was getting at was that people should be aware of how powerful their Euros are and that you can vote/advocate for your community with them. And yes if the people want in then of course bring it on, but I don't see the difference in actual quality between a Starbucks and others so its moreso about the image which to me is stupid.

But I do disagree that Starbucks will be a driving force to bring people into town if thats what you meant by "it will bring people in".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Why do you say every successful town has one? I would say the opposite, any town that can keep Starbucks and Costa out is a success in my book. Be honest, you just like the warm fuzzy feeling of your hometown having the 'privilege' of being accepted into the needs of a global corporation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Oh the irony

The mindset up the City seems to be -
    "It's becoming a horrible shopping centre with no big name stores in it"

But we also have -
    "But that is why it isn't good to see. It is a multi national corporation- we should support local or even national establishments with our money"

at the moment we have loads of coffee shops yes. We have the recent Costa Coffee which opened and has been a great addition and then we have loads of other "smaller" coffee shops around.

None of these smaller coffee houses attract people to the city. They serve a purpose (to drink coffee and meet people) but they dont bring people into the city (no one says "lets go into town for a cuppa in hook and ladder" - generalisation I'm sure as I am sure people love the place)

Big companies attract big companies. Costa for example has attracted the attention of Starbucks. The Apple store was attracted by the Sony Store, Debenham's - Brown Thomas, Burger King - McDonald s and so on.

A big company coming to the city will give other big companies confidence in the market and attract them to the city. Like it or not it will be a great addition. Late coffee's and a good atmosphere.

After all if you dont like it why do you just not use one of the other struggling coffee houses?? If you don't want to then your just complaining for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

And if you're bald and hate coffee, there really isn't anything at all....!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

ongarboy wrote: »
    And if you're bald and hate coffee, there really isn't anything at all....!! :)

Sell your gold?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

At the end of the day it's great to see well known brands coming to Limerick and it was inevitable that a coffee shop like Starbucks would have an interest in having a presence in the city considering they're in Dublin,Cork, Kilkenny, Kildare etc.

One thing I'm delighted about is that they're not going to the Cresent and also happy that block on the corner of Thomas St will finally be occupied with a well known brand instead of pop up art galleries after years of just sitting there. I'm sure the arrival will add a great vibrancy around the Thomas st & Catherine St areas especially in the summer if they consider out door seating.

That whole area is completely unrecognisable since the remodeling as it's transformed from a grubby back street to what I would consider the cafe area of Limerick so I think a well known name like Starbucks is only an addition to that section of the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Sell your gold?

Juice for your e-fag sir?

Advertisement