Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks to open in Limerick

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

What is the hold up now ?

A backlog of cases with An Bord Pleanala. Decisions are frequently deferred.

The council rejected the application to modify and complete the development. There's every chance ABP will uphold that decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If permission's passed for that shopping center then I'd say Dunne's in the city center and jetland will be sweating. Serves them right anyway for being a shower of kunts

At this stage I give up. I, for one, welcome the death of Limerick city center. Let's just hope the euro shops and lifestyle sports stay open to attract all the scumbags to the center so the rest of us in society can have pleasant shopping experiences in the outskirts without having to hear or see the degenerates walking around with their hands down their pants alongside their 15 year old girlfriends pushing the pram of a future degenerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Hopefully ABP reject it.

If it goes ahead I think I'll just give up being positive about this place.

To be honest I hope it goes ahead, I think any jobs and development is welcome at this stage, considering the above average unemployment levels in Limerick and the wider region.

Councilors and politicians have been harping on for years now about putting the city centre first etc...but they have not done anything to entice new businesses, services, investment into the city centre.

I have no problem denying permission for this new shopping centre if it means something of equal value and potential will be carried out in the city but we all know it wont be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

My uncle said it to me. He nor I nor anyone I know is in the loop on these things, mind....he may have just been saying it to make conversation. But I just thought it strange that we haven't heard anything about the project in a while...and nothing has been done on the proposed site. Again, I'm merely spit-balling here - not based on fact.

Once again what you mean by petition ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Once again what you mean by petition ?

I used the term 'petition' in error - I was querying why nothing has progressed with regards to the project and heard from my uncle that Limerick City council were opposing the location. I now know this information to be incorrect

• Advertisement

There seems to be bit of a suggestion that M&S is the panacea to all Limerick City Centres problems.
    It isn't and given the constantly evolving sector that retail is, it is time the City changed its focus from big box retail to a city targeted at residential , entertainment and professional activities.
    With more activity in the centre from other activities a footfall can be created that may attract an increased retail offering.
    The cluster of small shops and food retailers around Thomas St/ Catherine street is a positive development. Some high quality office space as well in the centre could see a major turnaround in the city's fortunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I think the city centre needs more retail. There's not a lot to choose from as it is.

The place could do with a Topshop/Topman, Zara, H&M, Pull and Bear, Office, Berska, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Given the poor garda presence in the city and the general drab look of the main thoroughfares I can understand why any retail store would rather look to the Crescent or other retail developments on the outskirts.

The Fashion Quarter is also a total joke, can you imagine Topshop or the likes having a look at it only to see it for what it is - full of outdated boutiques for old biddies like Celia Holmen Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭pigtown

Given the poor garda presence in the city and the general drab look of the main thoroughfares I can understand why any retail store would rather look to the Crescent or other retail developments on the outskirts.

Which ones? Really the only main thoroughfares that need investment are Roche's St., O'Connell St and Patrick Street. Patrick St. will be upgraded when the Opera Centre site and Arthur's Quay are redeveloped, which have been in the works for a long time I know but I'm fairly confident these will go ahead relatively soon. And I know the council are still trying to source funding for the O'Connell St. scheme.

By the way, does anybody have a link to plans for the upgrade to Parnell St./Wickham St./Davis St.? I can't find any info online.
    The Fashion Quarter is also a total joke, can you imagine Topshop or the likes having a look at it only to see it for what it is - full of outdated boutiques for old biddies like Celia Holmen Lee.

Fair enough but those 'old biddies' also need to shop somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I think the city centre needs more retail. There's not a lot to choose from as it is.

The place could do with a Topshop/Topman, Zara, H&M, Pull and Bear, Office, Berska, etc.
    Yes. Not even a men's section in H&M in the Crescent. Their men's clothes are actually quite nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

Yes. Not even a men's section in H&M in the Crescent. Their men's clothes are actually quite nice.

There used to be but they got rid of it. There's no men's section in Newlook on Cruises St. either but they have in Galway. There's also a Topman in Galway considering it's a smaller place than Limerick. There's no Jack & Jones in Limerick either, there used to be two, one in the Cresent and one on Bedford Row. Maybe the men of Limerick are just too manly and macho for fashion and style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Vanquished wrote: »
    A backlog of cases with An Bord Pleanala. Decisions are frequently deferred.

The council rejected the application to modify and complete the development. There's every chance ABP will uphold that decision.

Perhaps ?

pigtown wrote: »
    Which ones? Really the only main thoroughfares that need investment are Roche's St., O'Connell St and Patrick Street. Patrick St. will be upgraded when the Opera Centre site and Arthur's Quay are redeveloped, which have been in the works for a long time I know but I'm fairly confident these will go ahead relatively soon. And I know the council are still trying to source funding for the O'Connell St. scheme.

It's utterly pathetic and embarrassing that the former Limerick City Councils plans for an upgrade of O'Connell Street date back to the early 1990s! A staggering level of incompetence!

They'd really want to get a move on with those critical city centre sites too.
    By the way, does anybody have a link to plans for the upgrade to Parnell St./Wickham St./Davis St.? I can't find any info online.
    There's a public information event tomorrow evening in the Railway Hotel from 4:30 to 7:30.

They will come if the footfall comes. The reason many retailers choose The Crescent or Childers Rd is that the units are bigger or more adaptable.
    The Crescent is in the Top 3 most desirable locations for international retailers in Ireland and hopefully some of that interest will spill over into the City centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

There used to be but they got rid of it. There's no men's section in Newlook on Cruises St. either but they have in Galway. There's also a Topman in Galway considering it's a smaller place than Limerick. There's no Jack & Jones in Limerick either, there used to be two, one in the Cresent and one on Bedford Row. Maybe the men of Limerick are just too manly and macho for fashion and style.

Maybe, however Billy Higgins was always my favourite shop. The shopfront display is and always has been the finest display of menswear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Whenever I read about the council and plans I can't help but think of this

tumblr_m6v1yfvjoe1qagxjco1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

So any movement on the Starbucks in Thomas Street? Is the unit still an empty shell or has work started?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Still empty and no sign of any planning permission but they opened two units recently in Cork without any planning!

That unit may already have permission for a cafe from when planning was originally being sought for the redevelopment of that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Still empty and no sign of any planning permission but they opened two units recently in Cork without any planning!

Starbucks have a history of operating without planning permission in the UK too. A small independent café in Hertford didn't expand because they couldn't get permission, whereupon Starbucks opened up in the same place the independent tried to, without permission: http://www.bakeryinfo.co.uk/news/archivestory.php/aid/7083/Street_fight.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement