Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavan v Dublin Semifinal in Navan?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fann Linn wrote: »
    CP has floodlights

Yes, I misread your post, thinking you meant it didn't work at all in the dark (even with floodlights)

What other GAA grounds have floodlights, as wherever any games are played in December, they need to be at floodlit grounds..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Yes, I misread your post, thinking you meant it didn't work at all in the dark (even with floodlights)

What other GAA grounds have floodlights, as wherever any games are played in December, they need to be at floodlit grounds..

Very very few and far between, feck all in leinster anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Breffni Park has floodlights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Breffni Park has floodlights :D

As has Parnell Park. ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

On what basis? Cavan have played Meath quite a lot over the last decade as they have been in the same division a good bit.

Cavan beat Meath in 2013, lost in 2015, beat them in 2016 and beat them in 2018 in the League. The 2016 win was by seven points in Navan. The 2018 win by five.

They also recently played them in a fairly full blooded challenge ahead of the championship starting and beat them in that too.

Also, have a look at the GAA ratings on this page. We're above Meath. We also at least won a game each time we were in Division 1! Something Meath couldn't do this year.

I could keep going as I watch both counties regularly as the missus is a Royal!

You seem to be ignoring all the evidence until this year's League campaign. Its not really indicative to rate a team based on their League performance when the manager has come to Cavan and openly stated his main aim is to win Championship and not League games. He has said he's from a time where League was League and Championship was Championship and its clear which is more important - which is why he ran out 8 debutants in our penultimate League game away to Kildare. The plan was to have young players ready for the championship in case they were needed due to the hectic schedule.

Look, I was really really impressed by how Cavan played on Sunday, they were absolutely outstanding and I dont mean to take away from that.

They are a very good team with very good players.

However I was responding to a comment that it was 'insulting' to Cavan to compare them to Meath.

Thats a bit OTT in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

As has Parnell Park. ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒
    at least if the semi was played at Parnell Park it'd be an unfamiliar ground for both teams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Where the floodlights in Navan removed recently ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Cavan manager has called for the game to be moved out of croke park :pac:

What a bunch of whingebags. It's an awful pity they won Ulster now with that poor attitude coming out. Hes admitting defeat before a ball is kicked. I'd not be happy to see my manager saying that in a national paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Fair play to Mickey Graham I say. What's the hard-on about Croke Park? Everyone was obsessed with 1920 at the weekend once the semi finalists were confirmed. Stick it in Navan for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

dobman88 wrote: »

What a bunch of whingebags. It's an awful pity they won Ulster now with that poor attitude coming out. Hes admitting defeat before a ball is kicked. I'd not be happy to see my manager saying that in a national paper.

Dublin are 1/100 favourites, I think you need to get realistic.

• Advertisement

moghrasa wrote: »
    Fair play to Mickey Graham I say. What's the hard-on about Croke Park? Everyone was obsessed with 1920 at the weekend once the semi finalists were confirmed. Stick it in Navan for the craic

No floodlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

No floodlights.

Bring a bus load of Cavan men down and they'll shine torches onto the pitch.

moghrasa wrote: »
    Bring a bus load of Cavan men down and they'll shine torches onto the pitch.

Those fcukers won't pay for the batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭willabur

Can the game not be moved to earlier in the day?
    2pm throw in in Navan - Dublin to win handy anyways because they are gods walking amongst us

elefant wrote: »
    Dublin are 1/100 favourites, I think you need to get realistic.

Realistic on what? Dublin are going to destroy Cavan no matter where they play. I think it will be a record defeat, certainly for a semi final. But the absolute crying from pundits and fans and now their own manager is absolutely laughable. The semi finals are played in croke park every year. And with a winter championship it makes complete sense to keep them there, not move them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Could play it in a car park and Dubs would still win by at least 10 to 15 points as they will the final.

Dubs keep improving but the standard of the chasing pack is either stagnant or falling back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Realistic on what? Dublin are going to destroy Cavan no matter where they play. I think it will be a record defeat, certainly for a semi final. But the absolute crying from pundits and fans and now their own manager is absolutely laughable. The semi finals are played in croke park every year. And with a winter championship it makes complete sense to keep them there, not move them.

We were always told that the semi finals had to be played in Croke Park because it was the only ground that would hold the crowd, now we are being told it has to be played there because it's winter time.
    You couldn't make this rubbish up.

Was there a reason the Kerry Mayo semi was held in Limerick 6 years ago?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It probably the easiest and cheapest place for the TV crews to access and film from too, so ease of broadcasting should be a consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭rrs

American College football was played In Croke Park the weekend of the replay

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It was a replay, probably a compromise so fans were not travelling big distances twice.

Nope. As above. The GAA wouldn't be so kind. silly me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Realistic that Cavan acting out a blindly optimistic pre-match mindset is a lot less likely to help them than playing on a tighter pitch would be. Why would the players be upset that their manager is trying to give them a boost?

You could easily argue that not making any noise about getting the game moved out Croke Park Cavan would be showing less ambition to upsetting the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

American football in Croker. And it was the only way to guarantee Kerry people might travel being just down the road for them as they wont go to Dublin for semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

I won't be wasting much time having a discussion on this with anyone as the game will be in Croke Park and wont be moved anywhere else. Mickey Graham knows this rightly as does the Cavan team so lets leave the likes of Seanie Johnston to get his 5 minutes of attention looking for it to be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

It's a absolute joke that Dublin get to play all their games at home, just because we're used to it doesn't make it right.
    If you tried explaining it to someone not from Ireland they'd laugh their head off.
    There's no reason why it shouldn't be in a neutral ground.

elefant wrote: »
    Realistic that Cavan acting out a blindly optimistic pre-match mindset is a lot less likely to help them than playing on a tighter pitch would be. Why would the players be upset that their manager is trying to give them a boost?

You could easily argue that not making any noise about getting the game moved out Croke Park Cavan would be showing less ambition to upsetting the odds.

It's a defeatist attitude from the manager and that will feed into the players. Shocking bad attitude to have. Games wont be moved, or shouldn't be so need to quit the whinging and get on with it. Anything else is a nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Portlaoise has floodlights and they just put in new environmentally friendly LEDs too this summer.

tanko wrote: »
    We were always told that the semi finals had to be played in Croke Park because it was the only ground that would hold the crowd, now we are being told it has to be played there because it's winter time.
    You couldn't make this rubbish up.

Who always told you that? And who is telling you it has to be played there because of winter? Do you place the opinion of a random poster in an online forum in such high regard.

It's only my opinion that it shouldnt be moved from croke park. Tbh, I dont actually care where it's on as my own county is long gone from this years championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

And what's wrong with that? I don't see how its being a whinge bag to ask that the game is played at a venue other than somewhere Dublin play at maybe twenty times a year whereas Cavan have played there 5 times I think it is in the last decade.

Also, Cavan have only won there once in that decade against London.

• Advertisement

And what's wrong with that? I don't see how its being a whinge bag to ask that the game is played at a venue other than somewhere Dublin play at maybe twenty times a year whereas Cavan have played there 5 times I think it is in the last decade.

Also, Cavan have only won there once in that decade against London.

As a player you want to play in croke park. Any player that's ever kicked a ball has wanted to play in croke park. Those Cavan lads deserve it after the season they have produced so far so why should we take that away from them.

Are we going to move the All Ireland final out of croke park too whenever Dublin are involved?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement