Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »
    He's said more than once now that he won't fight again. I'd be fairly confident he doesnt, no mater how much that clown Ali says he will.

Ali is just angling to keep the belt off Conor.
    Any idea when the venue will be announced or if theres any chance of a decent time for this to be on (like UFC 254)?

It's been announced for fight Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Not officially has it?

Kavanagh will be delighted Conor is back, he can get a few new UFC t-shirts, the chap lives in the free gear

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mellor wrote: »
    Ali is just angling to keep the belt off Conor.

It's been announced for fight Island.

Stevie Wonder could see what Ali's up to ,

Khabib will not give up the belt before Conor v Dustin ,
    Then the winner will have the fight Justin for the belt who you guessed it is manged by none other than Ali,

I think Ali fears that if Conor beats Dustin for the belt he would out of spite swerve Justin because of his connection to Ali and look to fight Ferguson or do something else which would hold up Justin going for it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Then the winner will have the fight Justin for the belt who you guessed it is manged by none other than Ali,

I think Ali fears that if Conor beats Dustin for the belt he would out of spite swerve Justin because of his connection to Ali and look to fight Ferguson or do something else which would hold up Justin going for it ,

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I think its absolutely this. Ali keeps his clients involved in the belt fights for as long as possible to create more revenue for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Any idea when the venue will be announced or if theres any chance of a decent time for this to be on (like UFC 254)?

Don't think it will be at a decent hour. They only did that to accommodate Khabib as he has a big following in the middle east and russian. Plus PPV sales were way down for that so doubt it will happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Can guarantee 100% that fight will be on at 5am Irish time. Dana isnt wasting a McGregor PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

BT Sports listing it as a PPV too as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Doff wrote: »
    I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I think its absolutely this. Ali keeps his clients involved in the belt fights for as long as possible to create more revenue for himself.

It just makes sense for Ali to do what is best for himself and his clients ,
    Of course he is going to want Justin to be the next champ

People might say but sure he will have to fight the winner of Conor v Dustin anyway but Ali knows if Conor picks up the belt against Dustin he would all of a sudden hold all the cards and be able to make demands going into a Justin fight, Much easier for Dustin and Ali if its for a vacant belt,

Technically Khabib has a year to fight or vacate but as soon as Justin is signed to fight the winner of Conor v Dustin you can bet any money Khabib will vacate ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Well it makes sense for the winner to fight Dustin for the belt. Khabib beat all 3 so let all 3 fight it out for the vacant belt. Dustin can't fight so soon so he'll fight the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I think Ali fears that if Conor beats Dustin for the belt
    he would out of spite swerve Justin because of his connection to Ali and look to fight Ferguson or do something else which would hold up Justin going for it ,

Why would either of them get the 155 belt if this fight is at 170

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

They are fighting at 155

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    They are fighting at 155

When did that change ? all the talk was it was at 170

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

sonofenoch wrote: »
    When the UFC got involved.

sonofenoch wrote: »

Weeks ago. Around the time of the Khabib fight. Dana said he was against it from the start. Then when Khabib retired, I guess Conor thought he has a chance of the belt so agreed to 155, instead of sticking his heels in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Don't think it will be at a decent hour. They only did that to accommodate Khabib as he has a big following in the middle east and russian. Plus PPV sales were way down for that so doubt it will happen again.

Yeah, no way the UFC will change it so Irish and English can pirate it at a better time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It just makes sense for Ali to do what is best for himself and his clients ,
    Of course he is going to want Justin to be the next champ

Sure, he has an obligation to his clients. But there's a difference between doing your duty and willing misleading to line your pockets.

I'm sure Ali would rather Khabib doesn't retire.

People might say but sure he will have to fight the winner of Conor v Dustin anyway but Ali knows if Conor picks up the belt against Dustin he would all of a sudden hold all the cards and be able to make demands going into a Justin fight, Much easier for Dustin and Ali if its for a vacant belt,
    Technically Khabib has a year to fight or vacate but as soon as Justin is signed to fight the winner of Conor v Dustin you can bet any money Khabib will vacate ,

There is no rule about it being a year. He can be stripped today if they wanted. Or they could let him hold it for longer.

With ambiguity over Khabib continuing. This is one situation where an interim makes sense.
    GiftofGab wrote: »
    Well it makes sense for the winner to fight Dustin for the belt. Khabib beat all 3 so let all 3 fight it out for the vacant belt. Dustin can't fight so soon so he'll fight the winner.

Dustin fights the winner of what?

Mellor wrote: »
    Dustin fights the winner of what?

I think that’s meant to say Justin.
    Winner of McGregor v Poirier fights Gaethje for the title.

I think that’s meant to say Justin.
    Winner of McGregor v Poirier fights Gaethje for the title.

All three lost to Khabib, Justin most recently. Why would Justin get a pass to the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

derfderf wrote: »
    All three lost to Khabib, Justin most recently. Why would Justin get a pass to the final?

At least the other two put up a fight. Justin was steamrolled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Gaethje doesn't deserve two title shots in a row though tbh. At least Porier has fought and won since his loss to Khabib.

• Advertisement

derfderf wrote: »

That’s not my opinion, just clarifying what I think another poster meant to say.

The Nal wrote: »
    At least the other two put up a fight. Justin was steamrolled.

In fairness, he took the first round on the judges scorecards. Dustin was dominated from start to finish, hail mary guillotine attempt aside.

I wouldn't have Justin as any less worthy than the other two, besides being the most recent challenger, but he's definitely not ahead of them.

That’s not my opinion, just clarifying what I think another poster meant to say.

Ahh, sorry. Diving in and out of the thread makes you lose track of the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Dustin almost had that guillotine if he just held on a few seconds longer!

....... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭The White Feather

The Superfight that no one wants to see

I had never hear of this guy until now

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsHQ/status/1331780211868839941?s=20

The Superfight that no one wants to see

I had never hear of this guy until now

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsHQ/status/1331780211868839941?s=20

Any promoter that allowed that fella fight a career professional fighter should be lynched

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Any promoter that allowed that fella fight a career professional fighter should be lynched
    I never heard of him before.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I never heard of him before.

Lucky you. He's a 'YouTuber' and fought another youtuber and I think he actually lost that fight too

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lucky you. He's a 'YouTuber' and fought another youtuber and I think he actually lost that fight too
    I don't follow any YouTubers. I have to listen to enough stupid people in real life to go searching for more on YouTube. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Eddie Hearn had them main event on an event with professional boxers on the undercard.

Advertisement