Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

First Up wrote: »
    Ha ha. I tried pointing this out in a discussion about unlit and dark clothed cyclist on wet winter nights and got a similar reaction from the cycling fraternity.

They live in a parallel universe and when those universes collide to the detriment of the health of the cyclist, it is ALWAYS the fault of someone else.

And don't dream of mentioning helmets......

The ironic thing is that over on another forum, I am actively supporting a cycling greenway, yet on this one I am effectively accused of cycle-bashing, when all I did was demolish a silly article from Kerry that didn't understand statistics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There are so many things wrong with that graph and what it implies, but isn't actually saying. The only thing I will note is that in cases where the cyclist survives to tell their side of the story, the blame skews more to the motorist. even the author of it admits it is horrendously prone to bias and not trustworthy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

What does the last page have to do with motorists in cars breaking red lights ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Today I saw someone get the hat trick to prevent cars turning right from Bride Road onto Patrick St.

Breaking a red light (at least 5 seconds after it turned).
    To sit in a yellow box (cars were blocked for 30 seconds).
    While on a mobile phone.

Pretty remarkable lack of self awareness and manners. It was quite dangerous too, as a car tried to manoeuvre past her and got beeped by a car in the clear lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

D9Male wrote: »
    Today I saw someone get the hat trick to prevent cars turning right from Bride Road onto Patrick St.

Breaking a red light (at least 5 seconds after it turned).
    To sit in a yellow box (cars were blocked for 30 seconds).
    While on a mobile phone.

Pretty remarkable lack of self awareness and manners. It was quite dangerous too, as a car tried to manoeuvre past her and got beeped by a car in the clear lane.

That junction is a hotspot for it. I've often been coming down the hill, get the green before I stop but still slow right down because you know there'll be a few. Between 8 and 9am you see lots of Garda RPU cars coming down that road from HQ in Dublin Castle, yet cars still continue through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I've really noticed lately the amount of times I'm on a Dublin Bus and it runs an orange light late or indeed sometimes runs a full red. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the luas crash (though it may end up not being the case).

Another one yesterday evening. On the 16 going through Drumcondra, blatantly went through a red pedestrian light outside St. Pats. Absolutely shameless.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Public busses going through reds is inexcusable tbh. They're carrying passengers and they're huge vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Every hour that Gardai spend chasing cyclists is an hour not spent reducing the death toll on the roads. How much Garda resources do you want to divert away from reducing the death toll on the roads?

Motorists kill one pedestrian each week on average, over 40 each year. Pedestrian deaths by motorists are the one category where the death rate is increasing. Cyclists by contrast haven't killed a pedestrian in Ireland for more than 15 years. We must have dramatically different definitions of 'disrespectful'.

So the sole criteria of whether you need to obey the rules of the road are whether you kill somebody or not? Right.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So the sole criteria of whether you need to obey the rules of the road are whether you kill somebody or not? Right.....

I didn't say anything about who needs to obey the rules.

I am perpetually bemused at the enthusiasm and creativity of many motorists for 'fixing' cycling while they conveniently ignore the carnage on the roads caused by motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Another one yesterday evening. On the 16 going through Drumcondra, blatantly went through a red pedestrian light outside St. Pats. Absolutely shameless.

Is this the one at St Pats or that horrible double set of synchronised lights just past it? I don't agree with red breaking but I can see why people get annoyed with the pair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is this the one at St Pats or that horrible double set of synchronised lights just past it? I don't agree with red breaking but I can see why people get annoyed with the pair.

Was the middle of the three sets. Agree it's a frustrating set up, but there's still no excuse for going through a red.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I am perpetually bemused at the enthusiasm and creativity of many motorists for 'fixing' cycling while they conveniently ignore the carnage on the roads caused by motorists.

They don't ignore motorists, this is a thread concerned with people breaking red lights. Some of us think that people should not break red lights and that enforecement is needed and that applies to motorists, cyclists, electric scooters, ponies and traps and whatever. Stop making excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I am all up for cameras on lights, where the fine/points takes a month to come through. That way repeat offenders will rack up enough points/fines to effectively put themselves off the road.

What did I say that labelled me a motorist? I have a car I use about every fortnight. I have a bike I use a couple of times a week. I walk every single day. Often with a pram. I know what I am seeing. You are conveniently ignoring the truth regarding breaking lights, this is nothing to do with carnage/road/deaths.

The sole factor in what is unacceptable behavior on the road is not whether you kill somebody or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It's simples !!
    Get the traffic lighting sequence correct in the first place .
    Have cameras on the lights .
    Anyone using the road ( including cyclists ) should have a registration plate that a camera can pick up .
    FINES FOR BREAKING LIGHTS !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

It's simples !!
    Get the traffic lighting sequence correct in the first place .
    Have cameras on the lights .
    Anyone using the road ( including cyclists ) should have a registration plate that a camera can pick up .
    FINES FOR BREAKING LIGHTS !!!

Does this inclide registration plates for pedestrians, to ensure they only cross road at designated crossing points?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,511 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yesterday evening I was coming towards a lights in Galway which turned red and the four cars in front of me went through a solid red light not a changing from Amber one.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Robbie .... As your well aware there are countries that have fines in place for "jaywalking"
    In Ireland we do have a law that's states
    " a pedestrian must use a pedestrian crossing if their within 50 metres of one "
    Another law in Ireland that's not enforced.

Robbie .... As your well aware there are countries that have fines in place for "jaywalking"
    " a pedestrian must use a pedestrian crossing if their within 50 metres of one "

50m of what? The traffic light or the tactile part? It'll matter to my 51m measurement.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Does this inclide registration plates for pedestrians, to ensure they only cross road at designated crossing points?

Pedestrians aren't road users so the would be exempt :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting that you placed that in quotes - where did you copy it from? because it's 50 feet, not 50 metres.

So all pedestrians need reg plates, right?

Can anybody confirm if anybody has ever been prosecuted for J-walking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I was driving home to work in Limerick last week coming up to light. Lights turned red guy in front of me SPEEDS UP and goes through the red light 6 seconds after. Luckily the ones on the other side were slow off the mark. Have not read the thread but would love to hear from someone who tries to justify it

They don't ignore motorists, this is a thread concerned with people breaking red lights. Some of us think that people should not break red lights and that enforecement is needed and that applies to motorists, cyclists, electric scooters, ponies and traps and whatever. Stop making excuses.

We have two or three people killed each week on the roads by motorists and many more maimed.

Each Garda hour spent chasing cyclists, scooters, ponies and traps is an hour not spent reducing the death toll on the roads.

How much resources do you want to divert away from reducing the death toll on the roads?

You are conveniently ignoring the truth regarding breaking lights, this is nothing to do with carnage/road/deaths.

So if it is nothing to do with carnage and road deaths, what is it to do with? What are you trying to achieve here?

So if it is nothing to do with carnage and road deaths, what is it to do with? What are you trying to achieve here?

Eh, have people obey the rules of the road? Is that really that difficult to understand?

Eh, have people obey the rules of the road? Is that really that difficult to understand?

Why? What benefit arises from this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, Lelt us start with the basics.

Drive on the left? Well obviously, anyone doing otherwise is due to get killed.

Stop at stop signs? Same as above.

Have a valid driving licence? Of course.

Have a car that is roadworthy? Well, .....

Etc. etc.

Choose the ones that you do not agree to, and hope you are accommodated by those you come into contact with. Insurance cover might be a good idea.

• Advertisement

Has to be one of the best back-and-forths I've ever read on here. :D

Advertisement