Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Clear and frosty in Dublin 5.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Today/tonight's weather is associated with Storm Etienne.

Named by the Portuguese met service. More a rain rather than wind 'event' for us. Rain arriving on the south coast now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Lovely white frosty morning here in South Cavan, festive looking with a bright tail of the moon and bright stars showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

White frosty day in Cork City. Really feels like winter suddenly, can see all the steam from buildings etc. lovely

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Such a lovely frosty Winter morning this morning.

Could have gotten used to it, I check the weather app to check on local temps and even at 8.30am some places were showing -1.

And then the weather app spoils it all by showing rain until Sunday and temps rising to 13 degrees. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Still white outside. Lovely n fresh with the cooler temps......very overcast. No blue skies. Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

These are just my thoughts on how the winter will pan out - I will probably be very much off the mark if the Stratosphere doesn't play ball.

Atlantic driven weather until mid December before high pressure takes control, gradually cooling off and dry settled weather setting in- then our First notable cold blast to hit in the last week to 10 days of December as wave activity in the strat really starts throwing punches- a displaced vortex present.
    A slight relaxing of the cold into early Jauary before a Stratospheric warming led and more intense cold spell grips the country from Mid-ish January. Gradually phasing out from mid february as spring starts to emerge.

As a precursor to the cold spell in Jan I'm expecting a very deep cold pool to move into the near continent around new year and for it to eventually spill our direction by mid Jan.

The combination of very low solar activity , the current enso state as well as the already and soon to be more distressed vortex also almost all the long range models indicating cold leads me to this conclusion. December and Feb to be months of two contrasting halfs. January to be the coldest month.

I will revise this in a few weeks if the Strat events don't appear to be unfolding as currently indicated.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jhomenuk/status/1069573352841465856?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1069573352841465856&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.netweather.tv%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Dembed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fjhomenuk%2Fstatus%2F1069573352841465856

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    These are just my thoughts on how the winter will pan out - I will probably be very much off the mark if the Stratosphere doesn't play ball.

Atlantic driven weather until mid December before high pressure takes control, gradually cooling off and dry settled weather setting in- then our First notable cold blast to hit in the last week to 10 days of December as wave activity in the strat really starts throwing punches- a displaced vortex present.
    A slight relaxing of the cold into early Jauary before a Stratospheric warming led and more intense cold spell grips the country from Mid-ish January. Gradually phasing out from mid february as spring starts to emerge.

As a precursor to the cold spell in Jan I'm expecting a very deep cold pool to move into the near continent around new year and for it to eventually spill our direction by mid Jan.

The combination of very low solar activity , the current enso state as well as the already and soon to be more distressed vortex also almost all the long range models indicating cold leads me to this conclusion. December and Feb to be months of two contrasting halfs. January to be the coldest month.

I will revise this in a few weeks if the Strat events don't appear to be unfolding as currently indicated.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jhomenuk/status/1069573352841465856?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1069573352841465856&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.netweather.tv%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Dembed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fjhomenuk%2Fstatus%2F1069573352841465856

As a confirmed coldie, I like that forecast!! Thanks for your thoughts Blizzard7

D

White frost remained in the roofs until 12 here in cork city but it’s not raining and also bitterly cold st the same tome. Eugh

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Really entriging charts over on net weather , im sure the experienced guys here can back this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Horrible evening. Wet cold dark terrible commute home.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If it was 2C colder here the rain would be snow.
    Currently 3.1C.

Another solid run from ECM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Dad has opened the cookie jar..
    343qivo.png

A Kermit de frog post incoming

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Still mediocre upper air making our way in these latest model run. So treat the current evolution as building blocks to the main event further down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Still mediocre upper air making our way in these latest model run. So treat the current evolution as building blocks to the main event further down the road.

-6/7 uppers could produce the goods sst are still high enough to make it happen ...but but but its all fi at the moment so not point in getting to hung up on the details just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I'll just be glad for a bit of settled weather, cold without snow is also really welcome, as long as it's dry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

-6/7 uppers could produce the goods sst are still high enough to make it happen ...but but but its all fi at the moment so not point in getting to hung up on the details just yet.

Don't want people getting too excited that's all.
    As uppers would need to be minus 8 otherwise a wintry mess would be the result below 100 metres especially as you point out sea temperatures relatively high but also the continent is still warm. Anyway it's ages away and I just wanted to say yes the charts look great but nothing too exciting yet as no deep cold .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Don't want people getting too excited that's all.
    As uppers would need to be minus 8 otherwise a wintry mess would be the result below 100 metres especially as you point out sea temperatures relatively high but also the continent is still warm. .

It doesn't take long for the continent to cool down at this time of year, but i think this will a brief affair of colder and drier weather, with the Atlantic taking over again for a short period before something more notable at the end of month, and then the main event, hopefully, sometime in January, if the SSW predicted by the uk met model comes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I know this is Ireland but rain every single day in Dublin for God knows how long is borderline ridiculous, even by our standards. It was fine up to now in fairness though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    A Kermit de frog post incoming

I love his posts. :D

Bring on the frog!!

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I know this is Ireland but rain every single day in Dublin for God knows how long is borderline ridiculous, even by our standards. It was fine up to now in fairness though.

It’s unreal isn’t it. I hate hate hate the rain.

Heavy rain in cork city since about 2pm. Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dark, grey, cold but at least it was dry, in meath today.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Can’t understand why Kerry didn’t receive a rainfall warning today?? We’ve had more rain here today than some of the orange rainfall warnings we got in the last month or so?? Cork Kerry border east kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭jirafa

Jack Frost was out and about last night in Cobh[, and was still hanging around at 11 am this morning,,,well gone now of course, as the rain sent him packing for a while again.

47489907_10217029274539048_7396700601662308352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_eui2=AeFGKTfUwr7eEp5oaFP1y8ubnIfkQDcX5H_rW9_4oG5SoGx5425S0krcEIaD3sAxVNn4t2cnE4-DKAcY7ksmdbUPvh7tbbZXS0Rz3YkWGhFTpQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=11c2ebf64d38320371c9c8afb921db60&oe=5CA407CA

47681185_10217029274819055_8939662852516478976_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_eui2=AeFQU8BLfQCOqAO0hCgV-dm74MF2PTKZDRbim-FFrvPiFZwHGBHZySbCfwnUkAITrIpJzKbNS11puEGNy_qiKSl5PegLHqeOwvAqmhN4HFxWgQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=f0d8699f3907950f1706d6c47ba04c0d&oe=5CAC4F4B

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Drove up from Cork this evening, rain turned to sleet around Urlingford. I'd say there was snow above 350m-400m for a time before temps rose from around 3c to 4c.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Heavy rain in cork city since about 2pm. Ugh

And still raining. Fair few big puddles in town, but the river is low.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    And still raining. Fair few big puddles in town, but the river is low.

Bottom of sarsfields road is flooded, after all the money they put into the roundabout. They never clear the drains and now this is what happens. Wont be good in the morning.

Advertisement