Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Andrew00 wrote: »
    You can GFS all you want, it’ll still be dirty rain and wind from the Atlantic

This sadly seems to be the case, there's nothing worse than a wet, windy and mild winter.

Outlook for the next two weeks looks horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Potential for some Wet Hill Snow in the North West/East into Late Monday night into tuesday.

3503pkm.png

2z5j61w.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

"Wet hill snow"... That's like been offered non alcoholic beer ..

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Loughc wrote: »
    This sadly seems to be the case, there's nothing worse than a wet, windy and mild winter.

Outlook for the next two weeks looks horrendous.

Mmmm not sure where you are getting that from - looks settled , cold and dry from Saturday onwards (once that wind event goes through on Friday). The medium term signals for the period thereafter are middle of the road, finely balanced (according to my friends over on Netweather). A wee bit of patience required.

Finally I think MT mentioned on his preliminary Winter forecast that it won't really turn cold until around mid December, which is a fortnight away!!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All, when was the last white christmas in Ireland? was it 2010?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Meursault wrote: »
    Hi All, when was the last white christmas in Ireland? was it 2010?

Technically 2004 (I think), for Dublin at least.

Technically 2010 was not a white Christmas as snow did not fall that day (although most places still had blankets of snow!).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Technically 2004 (I think), for Dublin at least.

Technically 2010 was not a white Christmas as snow did not fall that day (although most places still had blankets of snow!).

IIRC, the bookies still paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

Calibos wrote: »
    IIRC, the bookies still paid out.

Thanks guys. Do you mean they paid out for 2010?

Possible Winter Storm this Friday. Such a steep temperature contrast throught out a lot of the GFS runs. Possible Stormy December. The whole run continues with the same story.

2chkgnp.png

Gavs Latest

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Nice sunny day in West Cork today got one light shower with a nice rainbow on show and nice crisp and clear at sunset while walking the dog.

Perfect winter day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

A sunny day in Dublin today. It hasn't rained all day, what a miracle!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Artane2002 wrote: »

probably the driest and sunniest day we've had since October. The ground here is still soaking tho, but it was great to get a dry day with some sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Latest ECM highlights a big issue with any potential cold spells re Ireland. The block runs up against systems from the Atlantic and leaves us in the mild side. Can go either way at this stage but something worth bearing in mind.

I’d always take a retrogressive Greenland/Icelandic high over a Scandinavian high if possible, it more or less shuts out mild Atlantic air and keeps Atlantic weather systems at bay. The latter is much more hit and miss for us, like what happened in February 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I’d always take a retrogressive Greenland/Icelandic high over a Scandinavian high if possible, it more or less shuts out mild Atlantic air and keeps Atlantic weather systems at bay. The latter is much more hit and miss for us, like what happened in February 2012.

We may well have to wait till the second or third week of January for that, as there are indications a strat warming event may take place towards the end of this month, which could split the vortex. As you say anything before that may just be skirmishes with deep cold, before we get in on the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Latest ECM highlights a big issue with any potential cold spells re Ireland. The block runs up against systems from the Atlantic and leaves us in the mild side. Can go either way at this stage but something worth bearing in mind.

Well the ECM is showing a battleground situation with widespread sleet and snow over Ireland/Northern Ireland towards the end so I guess that's something for the lucky people to look forward to if it comes off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Winter in here seems to be.....

Late Autumn loads of optimism/gloom about what's to come for the season ahead.

Early Dec, whole months of winter being written off.

Was it M. T Cranium that suggested the east coast of USA would warm up towards mid- month? That would be a good sign if it happens. One prediction i feel safe in making is if the ECM in its next run starts to back the latest GFS, there will be a meltdown over on Netweather:D
    The ECM, while it may be the most accurate model overall, has form in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Surprised nobody's mentioned this evenings ECM, gusts of up to 150kmh in west/northwest for friday
    If this evolved as it's being shown,Gfs 12z also had a severe windstorm just to the north of Donegal bay

https://www.bbc.com/weather/features/46434800

Darren Bett ramping away towards the end of his forecast....;)

15nrs4o.png

:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Artane2002 wrote: »

Sadly not true. It was raining at 7.30am in north Dublin this morning. It stopped 15mins later thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

gfs-0-192.png?18

088bca6934967d82e4852e50bfab3f0f.png

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

gfs-0-192.png?18

The pub run doing pub run type things

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    The pub run doing pub run type things

Yep but all the models seem to be agreeing

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

NMB wrote: »
    Yep but all the models seem to be agreeing

Another day or two of solid agreement and we go from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

I’m waiting for nachos snow dance

NMB wrote: »
    I’m waiting for nachos snow dance

here you go:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPi1z7D_Xs :o

now we just have to wait for the snow...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Frost on the cars here now in cork city. Getting cold! Saw some gritters driving past my house earlier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

1.5C here near Tralee calm and clear sky. Ice forming on the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

gfs-0-192.png?18

If something like that were to come off would it mean widespread snow or just an east coast event? Always fairly biased towards the east on this forum lol - Cork will probably end up basking in 15 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

RIiIZl2.png

NATIONAL WARNINGS

KiUZ6jX.png

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Wexford, Cork and Waterford
    Up to 30mm in places, with locally higher accumulations in upland and coastal areas, will lead to spot flooding.

Issued: Monday 03 December 2018 12:00

Updated: Monday 03 December 2018 12:00

Valid from Tuesday 04 December 2018 15:00 to Wednesday 05 December 2018 12:00

jajuKlo.png

7Kvh8xx.png

hirlamuk-25-46-0_rfp7.png

Advertisement