Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

GarIT wrote: »
    That is a load of nonsense. I have a strong dislike of Bailey but that article is just putting people against people, arguing for reduced claims when claims haven't gone up only insurance company profits have.

What we need is a single public insurer.

If the problem is due to high profits for insurance companies, why are insurers pulling out of the Irish market?

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/thousands-of-jobs-at-risk-after-main-insurer-for-leisure-sector-pulls-out-38329493.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

That is a load of nonsense. I have a strong dislike of Bailey but that article is just putting people against people, arguing for reduced claims when claims haven't gone up only insurance company profits have.

People are against people. Good people are sick of the spongers walking around who think it is ok to sue everyone else in the World.

Anyone caught doing it should have to pay all courts fees and then pay stress money to the person they sued. At the moment you have people with 3-4 cases lined up in court.....

How exactly will a single public insurer work? sure they couldjust name their price and you would ahve no alternative?

As mentioned if theinsurance companies are making so much money why are they pulling out?

Why have we huge insurance companies based in Ireland and they wont insure a single Irish driver? they only insure UK drivers. I know one company with 300+ staff sitting in Dublin who wont insure Irish drivers because of the claims.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Pintman you're wrong again, same as you were yesterday. Story dead by the Summer recess.lol.

Pintman you're wrong again, same as you were yesterday. Story dead by the Summer recess.lol.

Its a long time since poor old pintman got anything right to be honest..... :P:P:P:P

Even him banging on it will be forgotten by Sept is keeping it in everyone mind....

Poor old Maria is trying to keep the head down but once it pops up you can be sure everyone will be watching.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

What we really need is certain people in society learning to take responsibility for their own ineptitude or stupid actions.
    Same such actions which have resulted in ridiculous payouts causing the crisis that exists today.
    Judges giving payments for people's stupid behaviour is what needs addressing and a message sent out that you cannot throw in a claim against someone just because you were acting the eejit.
    I say solicitors and judiciary are the root of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭downtheroad

K.Flyer wrote: »
    What we really need is certain people in society learning to take responsibility for their own ineptitude or stupid actions.
    Same such actions which have resulted in ridiculous payouts causing the crisis that exists today.
    Judges giving payments for people's stupid behaviour is what needs addressing and a message sent out that you cannot throw in a claim against someone just because you were acting the eejit.
    I say solicitors and judiciary are the root of the problem.

You can add certain members of the medical profession, who sign off on all sorts of spurious claims by claimants and submit medical reports to court supporting the claims that are being submitted on a daily basis at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Harney the Minister responsible who created the HSE and a double layer of management and bureaucracy as well as outsourcing smear tests to the US.

I do not know about outsourcing of tests but the reason there was no redundancies from the Health Boards lies with Bertie Ahern

Harney was overruled

And hey Fianna Fail got 77 seats in the next election two years later so you could say they were rewarded by voters. They were not punished anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I see Coveney is now getting the blame for Leo not cutting Bailey loose.
    I wonder will this have the potential to split the FG party?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Harney the Minister responsible who created the HSE and a double layer of management and bureaucracy as well as outsourcing smear tests to the US. Lots of women with cancer now would strongly disagree that Harney "stood out" :rolleyes: Her decisions as Minister for Health have literally cost people their lives

I don't want to derail this thread, but I think if you understand what went on in CervicalCheck you'd know that your statement is simplistic and very far from proven, but that's all in another thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057868174

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

First Bruton and now Coveney backing Bailey. I don't know how many more of the FG leadership that I previously held in high regard are going to disappoint me by backing this fraudulent dope. They just keep on going back for more punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

This sounds very suspect, as if the story has been leaked to put Leo in a better light for letting her off the hook.
    Why on earth would Coveney have backed her when the level of outrage & public opinion against her was so strong.

Maybe Coveney has a European slot lined up and is not bothered about succeeding Leo here so he is taking the hit for him.

Either way, this neverending FF support of FG because they don't want to rock the Brexit boat is getting out of hand. The government are coasting along the last 18 months with the opposition happy to keep the status quo, nothing of note being achieved by the government now...

UsBus wrote: »
    This sounds very suspect, as if the story has been leaked to put Leo in a better light for letting her off the hook.
    Why on earth would Coveney have backed her when the level of outrage & public opinion against her was so strong.

Maybe Coveney has a European slot lined up and is not bothered about succeeding Leo here so he is taking the hit for him.

Either way, this neverending FF support of FG because they don't want to rock the Brexit boat is getting out of hand. The government are coasting along the last 18 months with the opposition happy to keep the status quo, nothing of note being achieved by the government now...

Maybe he wants Trickle Hogan’s old job. Chancers the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

I thought Coveney was supposed to be the smart one.

Or is Leo trying to throw him under the bus?

dresden8 wrote: »

I don’t think Leo actually has many smarts. Also talking of backing or even joining a FF Govt. That seems to have rankled a lot of his own party too.

As I said earlier in the thread, he’s a loose cannon. Can’t keep his mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Harney the Minister responsible who created the HSE and a double layer of management and bureaucracy as well as outsourcing smear tests to the US. Lots of women with cancer now would strongly disagree that Harney "stood out" Her decisions as Minister for Health have literally cost people their lives
    Yeah, she was the best of a pretty bad bunch. Outsourcing in its own right did not cause the situation. Lack of proper oversight of the labs doing work cost people's lives. She introduced the idea of cancer centres and if you think the HSE is bad, the bloated regional model that came before it was as much of a disaster. Let's hope the new version of that is an improved one.

dresden8 wrote: »

One of these things is true! Coveney has played a blinder on Brexit, this "story" is piffle by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yeah, she was the best of a pretty bad bunch. Outsourcing in its own right did not cause the situation. Lack of proper oversight of the labs doing work cost people's lives. She introduced the idea of cancer centres and if you think the HSE is bad, the bloated regional model that came before it was as much of a disaster. Let's hope the new version of that is an improved one.

My understanding is that there was a huge backlog of smear tests in a disorganised and disjointed screening system before CervicalCheck was set up in 2008. Outsourcing was therefore necessary to clear that backlog. Given the year on year reduction in cervical cancer deaths since then, it is arguable that outsourcing actually saved lives as part of the new programme - it is undeniable that CervicalCheck has saved lives. The independent reviews and reports to date have given no reason to believe that the Irish system does not produce results in line with international norms.

I believe Harney also introduced the HPV vaccine programme in Ireland.

It’s really unfortunate that what should be one of her proudest achievements is being used as a stick to beat her with

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

One of these things is true! Coveney has played a blinder on Brexit, this "story" is piffle by comparison.

Small fires keep you warm, but big fires burn you.

Brexit, for the most part is beyond our (as tax paying voters) control, if the Brits want to self inflict damage upon themselves, there's only so much (or little) we can do about that.

TDs in govt party's lodging spurious injury claims against Irish businesses, (aided and abetted by govt ministers) and the knock on effect these claims are having on us, can very much be under our control.

I cannot wait for the election to get into full swing (no pun intended) it doesn't matter two shytes to me (and I'm sure I ain't alone) whether Maria Bailey is dropped from the ticket or not, this story broke in May, they did shag all about her dodgy dealings since.

Insurance fraud is A-OK with leo and the lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Maria was front page news again today. I saw her on the Examiner this morning. Something about Coveney convincing Leo not to sack her.

How exactly has he played a blinder?

Nothing has been agreed and FG and hiding behind Europe instead of leading the discussions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don’t think Leo actually has many smarts. Also talking of backing or even joining a FF Govt. That seems to have rankled a lot of his own party too.

Has it? I would have thought most in FG would be happy to return the confidence and supply favour if FF was the largest party. Although maybe they'd prefer if Leo didn't talk openly about that scenario in advance of the election...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Until you manage to label Martin an utter or thundering disgrace! :)

Is that so !!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Ah will you stop! Nobody has played a blinder on Brexit.

Coveney is no genius either. He always comes across to me as a modern Enda Kenny. He seems to rinse and repeat a lot of his rhetoric and needs to be constantly coached i.e. not good at on-the-spot thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'll bite, what exactly has Coveney done in relation to Brexit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Coveney was the only one coming out of this looking good but now he made a pigs ear out of that

I never understood those who said Coveney could be some kind of FG saviour given his close connections to Peter Sutherland and Bilderberg.

A person who represents the people going to secret meetings is by default just is not right.

How exactly has he played a blinder?

Nothing has been agreed and FG and hiding behind Europe instead of leading the discussions
    How can a national government be leading EU discussions, pray tell?

I'll bite, what exactly has Coveney done in relation to Brexit?
    Calm, consistently emphasising our positions, faced down any UK nonsense and challenged them to provide alternatives and at least given the impression he is at the core of our own planning. That's a good job from me. In the Brexit classroom that is top of the class!

Is that so !!;)
    No, With a "?"!:)

Calm, consistently emphasising our positions, faced down any UK nonsense and challenged them to provide and at least given the impression he is at the core of our own planning. In the Brexit classroom that is top of the class!

Hahahaha

Pull the other one....don’t believe what RTÉ are posting.....best to look further afield if making statement like that

• Advertisement

Hahahaha

Pull the other one....don’t believe what RTÉ are posting.....best to look further afield if making statement like that
    Fair enough. What rock are you looking under?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement