Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

This sentence makes no sense. Try writing in plain English. Metaphors obviously aren't your forte.

Long memories...death knell of political careers...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The inaction of Leo Varadkar on the possible expulsion of Maria Bailey will be influential on the fate of the current government. Weak leadership doesn't inspire confidence. Voting public don't live in a goldfish bowl, the ballot box is the proverbial nail.
    This all assumes that the average voter thinks this way. Most don't engage until the last two weeks before an election. That's where the short memory argument comes in. Mention Brexit in 6-8 months time and voters will respond and will be far more aware of what has transpired with it than this. The leader thing is not as pronounced as you imagine. People like their local TDs and they do like to be wooed. The question in 2020 is whether voters feel a need to change the main party. There will be all manner of subplots around that especially with SF and the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Long memories...death knell of political careers...

Paddy is right though. You always try and use the ‘big words’, but your sentences read like someone who is trying desperately hard to come across as intelligent. Be confident in using plain language to make your point.

FG one point up in the latest opinion poll. Some of the latchicos around here were predicting wipeout and devastation, with one particularly special poster suggesting it would be the end of FG. Brexit is and has been the big issue,lads.

Huge amount of naivety shown on this forum around political issues to be honest. Most of it can be ascribed to stupidity to be honest, but some of it is because it’s little more than an echo chamber for cranks, weirdos, and malcontents.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This sums up my feelings about having FF in Government and that will never change.

CcP98DVXEAAvWFE?format=jpg&name=900x900
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcP98DVXEAAvWFE?format=jpg&name=900x900

Paddy is right though. You always try and use the ‘big words’, but your sentences read like someone who is trying desperately hard to come across as intelligent. Be confident in using plain language to make your point.

If "goldfish bowl" and "nail" perplex two voices in your head, then I hold little confidence for the third or fourth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

If "goldfish bowl" and "nail" perplex two voices in your head, then I hold little confidence for the third or fourth.

Two voices in his head ok. Theres a good reason for that.

Two voices in his head ok. Theres a good reason for that.

I haven’t a Ronnie Drew what you are trying to say, dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Tabnabs wrote: »
    This sums up my feelings about having FF in Government and that will never change.

Bakc on track lads and ladies...

Start a FF bashing thread and include

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

is_that_so wrote: »
    This all assumes that the average voter thinks this way. Most don't engage until the last two weeks before an election. That's where the short memory argument comes in. Mention Brexit in 6-8 months time and voters will respond and will be far more aware of what has transpired with it than this. The leader thing is not as pronounced as you imagine. People like their local TDs and they do like to be wooed. The question in 2020 is whether voters feel a need to change the main party. There will be all manner of subplots around that especially with SF and the Greens.

The short-term memory of voters was a result of the 24 hr media cycle, which allowed any embarressing story to be buried under the next days tearjerking account of a child down a well in Outer Mongolia.

Nowadays this is no longer as true due to the decentralised nature of online media, and especially discussion sites like this that allow users to decide the agenda instead of say the Irish Times Trust, RTE or the favourites appointed to the editorial board by some billionaire who bought a newspaper. As a result an increasing number of voters have longer memories than most politicians would like, which is behind at least part of the panic over “fake news”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I see FG top the poll yet again in the latest Red C poll. Wonderful stuff. The doom and gloom predictions here from "former FG supporters" are obviously nonsense.

Also heartening to see SF failing miserably at the polls.

Poll me hole.

Polls had Hilary to win and Brexit to be voted down the night before the votes

• Advertisement

I haven’t a Ronnie Drew what you are trying to say, dude.

I'm sure you haven't.....dude ;)

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The short-term memory of voters was a result of the 24 hr media cycle, which allowed any embarressing story to be buried under the next days tearjerking account of a child down a well in Outer Mongolia.

Nowadays this is no longer as true due to the decentralised nature of online media, and especially discussion sites like this that allow users to decide the agenda instead of say the Irish Times Trust, RTE or the favourites appointed to the editorial board by some billionaire who bought a newspaper. As a result an increasing number of voters have longer memories than most politicians would like, which is behind at least part of the panic over “fake news”.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

You really imagine any of this stuff has any effect on anyone except the tiny group who log-on here?

Shemale wrote: »
    Poll me hole.

Polls had Hilary to win and Brexit to be voted down the night before the votes
    Local polls from May show a near dead heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

You really imagine any of this stuff has any effect on anyone except the tiny group who log-on here?

Do I imagine that decentralised online media and discussion sites have an impact on politics? Yes, and you won't find many arguing otherwise. It has been a factor in many unexpected events like the Arab Spring, the Trump election and Brexit.

Here in Ireland it certainly was instrumental in the success of the Water Charges movement. A watershed was when it highlighted Denis O'Brien's attempts in 2015 to suppress Dail comment on his favourable IBRC treatment. While RTE and the papers were silent for fear of litigation Irish people online shared the story en masse.

Of course Boards is a smaller site than it was, but it forms a part of an online network that substantially undermines the old centralised media system that engendered voter short term memory.

But sure throw another laughing emoji in there in lieu of argument just in case your deflection attempts aren't looking desperate enough.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Do I imagine that decentralised online media and discussion sites have an impact on politics? Yes, and you won't find many arguing otherwise. It has been a factor in many unexpected events like the Arab Spring, the Trump election and Brexit.

Here in Ireland it certainly was instrumental in the success of the Water Charges movement. A watershed was when it highlighted Denis O'Brien's attempts in 2015 to suppress Dail comment on his favourable IBRC treatment. While RTE and the papers were silent for fear of litigation Irish people online shared the story en masse.

Of course Boards is a smaller site than it was, but it forms a part of an online network that substantially undermines the old centralised media system that engendered voter short term memory.

But sure throw another laughing emoji in there in lieu of argument just in case your deflection attempts aren't looking desperate enough.
    Well this is turgid nonsense and so wrong on so many fronts. The Arab Spring I'll give you, Trump was rampant manipulation of networks and Brexit just a pack of lies. The Irish examples seem to speak more to you living in 2015 or whenever. No real idea what point you think it proves BTW.

Voters really do not engage with politics, they just want it to work. Confusing your obsession with it is not what happens in the real world. They can't tell you what policies parties have and barely know who their TDs are. That's fine as they don't need to worry about it till election time. Even then they are hard pushed to grasp what it is they are being sold and it can come down to who they know and what they like about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

bilbot79 wrote: »
    FG are not doing a bad job by irish standards. I don't see why they would be annihilated.

People have a very short memory if they are OK with FF being in control

By people do you mean Fine Gael? Fine Gael gave Fianna Fail the stamp of approval. Be funny to see FG spin this. 'FF ruined the country. FF are good for stability. Don't vote FF they ruined the country...but if you do, we're cool with partnering up with them' :)

You're right. Most will remember the swing and a FG politician trying to pull a fast one, getting caught out and Leo doing nothing, that anyone will remember.

FG one point up in the latest opinion poll. Some of the latchicos around here were predicting wipeout and devastation, with one particularly special poster suggesting it would be the end of FG. Brexit is and has been the big issue,lads.

Huge amount of naivety shown on this forum around political issues to be honest. Most of it can be ascribed to stupidity to be honest, but some of it is because it’s little more than an echo chamber for cranks, weirdos, and malcontents.

It's the other Tweedle brother.
    If you work for FF, good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

And now we have another buried report, getting kind of scary how all this is for the public good.

You're right. Most will remember the swing and a FG politician trying to pull a fast one, getting caught out and Leo doing nothing, that anyone will remember.
    That's a whole lot to get into your head while you're scanning a monster ballot paper! But will it be enough to replace the as yet unknown post-Brexit performance or erase the spectre of the FF disaster? Polls don't suggest any of the meltdown imagined on this thread. I'd call it 50/50 as we stand.

• Advertisement

That's a whole lot to get into your head while you're scanning a monster ballot paper! But will it be enough to replace the as yet unknown post-Brexit performance or erase the spectre of the FF disaster? Polls don't suggest any of the meltdown imagined on this thread. I'd call it 50/50 as we stand.

Which is easier to remember:

The FG politician, (her name won't even matter) trying to pull a fast one after falling off a swing?

Or

How the economy did over all despite the housing and homeless crises?

Brexit will be seen as an external issue, it will only come into play depending on what FF/FG do policy wise to the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Who be this special one of which you speak Mr Flash? I don't recall anyone making that prediction tbh.

However in saying that, it's entirely plausible that it could finish their chances in getting back in the driver seat, I imagine they'll be riding shotgun next time out, with FF at the driving seat.

Finish them completely? Na, no way, they'll always have the loyal fan base, I don't recall anyone predicting it would finish them, that would just be s ludicrous prediction.

Almost as ludicrous as those suggestions that this story would be old news after a few weeks.

Meanwhile, there's reportedly some CCTV footage of the whole thing floating around somewhere just waiting to be leaked. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

And what proof have you to contradict that statement?

Every view is open to conjecture. It’s all about what aiding and abetting MB in her insurance claim. And it’s forums like this that ensures the general public never forget this, and at the same time remember what Farrell did not forgetting JM’s input, and Leo’s inactions.

Bring on the election!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/noel-rock-and-hildegarde-naughton-to-replace-swinggate-td-maria-bailey-on-oireachtas-committees-38502862.html
    FINE Gael TDs Noel Rock and Hildegarde Naughton are to receive promotions on foot of swing-gate TD Maria Bailey’s fall from grace.
    Independent.ie understands the two backbench TDs are in line to replace Ms Bailey on two Oireachtas committees.

The nomination of Mr Rock as chairperson of the Housing Committee will be seen as significant, given he was the first TD to publicly condemning Ms Bailey’s legal action against a Dublin hotel.

She had sought compensation after falling from a swing in The Dean Hotel but later dropped amid intense pressure.

The Irish Independent revealed that she ran a 10km race just three weeks after the incident even though it was claimed in court papers that she was unable to run “at all” for three months.

At the time Mr Rock, a TD for Dublin North West, said: “The issue of the claimed inconsistencies needs to be clarified urgently: that type of thing isn’t compatible with Fine Gael values.”

Naughton is an interesting one. She is certainly climbing the FG ranks. FG have 2 relatively new TDs in Galway West but both Hildegarde Naughton and Sean Kyne could be in trouble next time out. Kyne will suffer from the Oughterard story (Grealish will do well out of it and certainly keep his seat) and I actually think Naughton has been more impressive in recent years and could finish above Kyne. I predict just one Fine Gael seat in Galway West in GE 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

'that type of thing is not compatible with FG values'
    Leo doesn't seem to have a problem with the 'values' Farrell and Bailey are still part of the FG family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Tabnabs wrote: »

I remember Fianna Fail T.D.s forcing people at gunpoint to mortgage their homes to buy apartments in Bulgaria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Edgware wrote: »
    I remember Fianna Fail T.D.s forcing people at gunpoint to mortgage their homes to buy apartments in Bulgaria.

Also making people with a 40k income buy a house for 500k....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Edgware wrote: »
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sure, sight touch regulation of the banking sector and a cosy relationship with the builders who funded their campaigning might have ****ed up the economy royally, but at least they didn't flood the streets with rats, or smear **** on the walls of the Dáil. Lads, is that seriously the standard you hold the government to? If so, we got exactly what we deserved as a nation.

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Making people. !! ??.

I was offered €600k when I had no income, Mrs O hade a good income. We CHOSE not to take the money. There was a temptation, but it lasted a nanosecond, nobody MADE us do fuk all.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    Sure, sight touch regulation of the banking sector and a cosy relationship with the builders who funded their campaigning might have ****ed up the economy royally, but at least they didn't flood the streets with rats, or smear **** on the walls of the Dáil. Lads, is that seriously the standard you hold the government to? If so, we got exactly what we deserved as a nation.

What we have deserved as a nation is going from being an economic basket case when we achieved independence less than 100 years ago, to being a country that has been continuously ranked in the top 10 in the UN Human Development Index for the past 20 years. An index that takes life expectancy, education, income, and quality of life metrics into account.

We currently sit in 4th position in this table, behind Norway, Switzerland, and Australia, and ahead of countries like the Netherlands, Sweden, and Denmark. We have extremely low crime rates, extremely safe roads, a very generous social welfare system that is designed to minimise the creation of extreme wealth or extreme poverty. This is a beautiful, fair, and sometimes flawed country.

We have very similar issues to other mature social democracies, in that our health service is under considerable strain as a result of people living longer, and having access to world class health care when they need it.

We have a free and open media that nobody seems to want to pay money to protect. So you have people who despise RTE, but seem happy enough to pay for 150 channels of reality TV, repeats of quiz shows, and neoliberal news reporting. The very people who need a state broadcaster so there is some sort of truth to power.

Our homelessness metrics are very much at the lower end of what you should expect in a mature social democracy in the cold and damp parts of the Northern Hemisphere. The UK, Germany, Belgium, and even good old Denmark have far higher rates of rough sleepers than we do. No rough sleepers is acceptable of course. That's why the Irish vote for parties who know this is an important issue for the electorate. We are producing so much social housing at the moment that fúck all private homes are coming onto the market.

The macroeconomic issues around housing becoming an investment strategy are ones faced by all countries as a result of the dogma that emerged in the late 80's.

Bailey fúcked up, and is now the subject of ridicule. She will be unlikely to get the nomination to run for FG. Even if it were to happen then FG are unlikely to keep a 3rd seat down there. Green seat for definite, and maybe a fight for the last one between FG and Richard Boyd B.

You have it good, lads. You're the 1%. There's about 6 billion people on this planet who would love the idea of having even a fraction of the sort of existence you find yourself in. And you've spent the summer on this thread doing nothing only give each other virtual back slaps.

Prediction for the next election? FF to win the most seats, but fall short of a majority needed, even with the help of Labour, Greens, and Independents. FG to go into a minority government with them. Chances of SF, PBP, and all the other hurlers on the ditch being in power - zero. The electorate don't want that sort of thing. Decent and hard working politicians will ensure that we try and represent the voice of everyone. And the cynicism, hate, and bile will still be spewed by men (always men) who never have the gile, gumption, or initiative to get involved in politics themselves.

AF

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement