Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

nuac wrote: »
    BC sustained very serious injuries

What has that got to do with anything though? It was entirely his own fault. Therefore he should have had his case thrown out and legal costs against him. It's that simple.

that's the point exactly, she has to be told. And if she can knock the claim in the head then that shows her intent was just motivated by greed and self entitlement. This is the problem for her now, it's a lose lose!!! I'd love to see anyone spin it another away!

Like a said, If I have to be ****ed, at least bertie and the likes might buy you a meal first and wear a condom!! this shower will **** you bareback and take your wallet on the way out the door!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

NIMAN wrote: »
    But back to this halfwit of a woman, she is starting to get a lot of flak on the radio etc, and it's making FG look bad.

I can see Leo telling her to knock the claim on the head.

The damage is done. She is unlikely to get voted in again.

If she drops the case, she loses her lucrative yearly wage by next election, and loses the chance of getting her grubby paws on the €60k (unlikely that she will win anyway).
    She only really stands to get her pension - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/just-how-are-ministers-pensions-worked-out-1.559289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

rusty cole wrote: »
    that's the point exactly, she has to be told. And if she can knock the claim in the head then that shows her intent was just motivated by greed and self entitlement. This is the problem for her now, it's a lose lose!!! I'd love to see anyone spin it another away!

Like a said, If I have to be ****ed, at least bertie and the likes might buy you a meal first and wear a condom!! this shower will **** you bareback and take your wallet on the way out the door!!!

Lovely words.

Bet you don’t talk like that around your kids.

Lovely words.

I don't have any not that its anything to do with this thread. sorry snowflake, it;s an emotive topic, go start a #savethechildren group if your that offended.

• Advertisement

I don't have any not that its anything to do with this thread. sorry snowflake, it;s an emotive topic, go start a #savethechildren group if your that offended.

Snowflake:)

I actually use that term daily and love it so you win this round sir!!

Lovely words.

In fairness, most people don't talk about the judiciary and compensation culture with their kids either, unless their kids are advanced enough to be interested in such conversations, and therefore in all probability also advanced enough to understand the legitimate role of profanity in discourse :pac:

Snowflake:)

I actually use that term daily and love it so you win this round sir!!

I'll see your olive branch then and raise you a handshake :D

I'll see your olive branch then and raise you a handshake :D

I’m big enough to know when I’ve lost an argument:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Lovely words.

Wheelie,
    You shouldn't underestimate the damage that this woman (in power) and other politicians of similar ilk are doing to our society and to our country.
    No wonder then that there is palpable anger when they are caught being the scum that we always suspected them to be.

One of these days, we will rid ourselves of these greedy, self-centered, lying politicians. When that happens, we will find that Children's Hospitals and Rural Broadband projects will not be outrageously priced. We will find a healthcare system that is run for the patients and the public and not for the bureaucratic management and unions.

We need to remember that when we vote.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    Wheelie,
    You shouldn't underestimate the damage that this woman (in power) and other politicians of similar ilk are doing to our society and to our country.
    No wonder then that there is palpable anger when they are caught being the scum that we always suspected them to be.

One of these days, we will rid ourselves of these greedy, self-centered, lying politicians. When that happens, we will find that Children's Hospitals and Rural Broadband projects will not be outrageously priced. We will find a healthcare system that is run for the patients and the public and not for the bureaucratic management and unions.

We need to remember that when we vote.

Vote for who though?

Independents, possible but what do they really achieve apart from a few potholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

In fairness, most people don't talk about the judiciary and compensation culture with their kids either, unless their kids are advanced enough to be interested in such conversations, and therefore in all probability also advanced enough to understand the legitimate role of profanity in discourse :pac:

Going by the Da's wiki page, I'd say it's safe to assume that they actually do in the Bailey household.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bailey_(Irish_politician)

I'd say Maria didn't lick it off a stone.

Vote for who though?

Independents, possible but what do they really achieve apart from a few potholes.

Independents. Otherwise, the current crop of incompetents will continue screwing the country.
    Vote Independent to make a point.
    A new party of Independents can be formed that reflects the philosophy of the people who elected them. If they don't conform, they are out at the next election.

It is really that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Vote for who though?

Could they be any worse than whats on view in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Vote for who though?

That's why there needs to be a true nationalist party. Time for the National Party to step up to fill the gap and act as a party that acts solely in the national interest and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Stephen15 wrote: »
    That's why there needs to be a true nationalist party. Time for the National Party to step up to fill the gap and act as a party that acts solely in the national interest and nothing else.

I thought Renua were meant to be the saviours?

They used to be the party suggested as the good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

salmocab wrote: »
    You certainly do not have that right, there are actually by-laws against that, she on the other hand is guilty of being an utter moron unfortunately nothing more.

Thank you; I have now edited my post accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I just sent the following email to Maria Bailey and copied several of her Fine Gael colleagues. Please feel free to copy and paste if you are in agreement.

Dear Deputy Bailey,

I am writing a short email to advise that due to your decision to take legal action against a Dublin hotel, seeking damages up to €60,000, I will not be voting for any Fine Gael candidate in the upcoming local and European elections this Friday 24th May.

Insurance costs are rising significantly in Ireland due to the volume of compensation claims that are being entered via our legal system, and a compensation culture is creeping into our society. I believe that your high profile case displays a lack of leadership as an elected official, and for this reason I will not be voting for any member of your party this coming Friday, despite doing so in recent elections.

I am copying into this email:
    Leo Varadkar TD as leader of Fine Gael
    Josepha Madigan TD whose family law firm are representing you in this case
    Charlie Flanagan TD as Minister for Justice
    Regina Doherty TD who today defended your claim
    Councillor Naoise O'Muiri who is standing for election in my electoral ward on 24th May
    Jeff Johnston who is standing for election in my electoral ward on 24th May
    Frances Fitzgerald TD who is standing for European election on 24th May

Yours sincerely,
    downtheroad

Sorry to quote myself but 50 people have thanked this post. If all 50 of you could take 2 minutes to send a similar email to Maria Bailey (maria.bailey@oireachtas.ie) and Leo Varadkar (leo.varadkar@oir.ie) it might hammer home the message. Hopefully a number of you have already done so. Thanks.

Mods, I assume it's ok to include these emails addresses as they are public record but please snip if not appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This case is drawing such a massive negative reaction that Ms Bailey must surely be regretting taking such a ludicrous case which only highlights her greed and utter stupidity.

The best thing she could do now is withdraw her case and hide for a few months and hope people forget how unbelievably stupid she is but I actually hope she continues to pursue it, loses it, has massive costs awarded against her and then loses her seat because people wouldn’t vote for someone so thick that they couldn’t sit on a swing without requiring supervision/instruction.

Vote for who though?

Independents have no party name to hide behind so they have to do what the public tells them to do, and one of the aspects of this means not doing things that will piss people off. You're probably right in that they'd accomplish less, at least while the dust was settling, but they would also not be able to worsen many problems the way FFG have been doing.

When a car is speeding over a cliff, the most important thing is to hammer the breaks. You can sort out where to drive instead after you've halted the disastrous trajectory you had previously been on. That's something Irish politics desperately needs right now. A lot of the utter disasters FFG are pushing - the mass sell-off of public land for housing to private developers, for example - are policies which need to be stopped urgently, as there is a timeline beyond which it will not be possible to fix the problems they cause. Insurance costs are a similar issue, seeing as like rents and other costs of living, they tend never to reverse - only to stop getting higher. We're probably stuck with high ones in perpetuity now, but we can at least stop them getting any higher than they already are.

• Advertisement

This case is drawing such a massive negative reaction that Ms Bailey must surely be regretting taking such a ludicrous case which only highlights her greed and utter stupidity.

The best thing she could do now is withdraw her case and hide for a few months and hope people forget how unbelievably stupid she is but I actually hope she continues to pursue it, loses it, has massive costs awarded against her and then loses her seat because people wouldn’t vote for someone so thick that they couldn’t sit on a swing without requiring supervision/instruction.

The Twitter replies to her last pre-story tweet are hilarious, so many memes :D

https://twitter.com/garlittle/status/1131186868639477761

https://twitter.com/KevinCa47989229/status/1131285345063055360

https://twitter.com/DHaych80/status/1130947154707660800

https://twitter.com/RobMcG87/status/1130891541885739008

https://twitter.com/susie_yaps/status/1131263746444275712

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

I know popular opinion is against claims yet I know most people would be straight down to a solicitor if they suffered an injury arising from negligence

In this case the swing should not be in a pub, swings are normally in playgrounds

Putting a swing in a pub invites drunk people onto it and drunk people can fall injuring themselves. Pubs selling alcohol have a duty of care and providing a swing on their premises in my view breaches that

Sorry to quote myself but 50 people have thanked this post. If all 50 of you could take 2 minutes to send a similar email to Maria Bailey (maria.bailey@oireachtas.ie) and Leo Varadkar (leo.varadkar@oir.ie) it might hammer home the message. Hopefully a number of you have already done so. Thanks.

Mods, I assume it's ok to include these emails addresses as they are public record but please snip if not appropriate.

I've done this already today, and encourage others to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

McCrack wrote: »
    I know popular opinion is against claims yet I know most people would be straight down to a solicitor if they suffered an injury arising from negligence

In this case the swing should not be in a pub, swings are normally in playgrounds

Putting a swing in a pub invites drunk people onto it and drunk people can fall injuring themselves. Pubs selling alcohol have a duty of care and providing a swing on their premises in my view breaches that
    Been done.
    Aha, I see the potential problems now with Ms Bailey's claim, she should be arguing that a drunk person may fall off a swing, that belongs in a children's playground.

Problem is - I didn't see anywhere in the report where she claimed she was drunk.

Just a claim that she wasn't to be trusted unsupervised on a device usually found in kids playgrounds without signage instructing her how to properly use something the rest of us mastered as toddlers.

The culture Ministers ex law firm will hopefully pick up on this now too and change the grounds for the claim.

Jesus H Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

McCrack wrote:

Has it been confirmed that Maria was drunk?

We are just going to have to start Bailey-proofing common items that we interact with on a daily basis.

All dining room chairs will require a seat-belt; lest we fall off it.
    Knifes and forks will be banned; 2 pieces of non-pointy sticks will have to do.
    And we'll Bailey-proof our toilet seats by attaching a harness to the cistern; lest we fall off. This process will require supervision though at all times, including after the flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

dubrov wrote: »
    Does anyone know who managed the hospital tenders?
    Do FG bring in their own people or is it run via the civil service?

Hospital was Arup consulting engineers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 In all in anyways

I know we probably don't know all the facts, maybe the swing broke? If not, then this is pretty incredible and not a good reflection on the government!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

In one way, I hope the silly bitch gets a payout. This would make international news, show our compo culture to the world at large, make us a right laughing stock. Then we might see some action taken to tackle the compo culture ( out of sheer embarrassment) :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement