Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

They will probably replace the PC-9's in 2025 with the PC-21. Apparently it can cover all forms of pilot training.

capture14.jpg?w=625

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

They will probably replace the PC-9's in 2025 with the PC-21. Apparently it can cover all forms of pilot training.

snip
    I'd be highly surprised if they actually are replaced by then tbh. Between the likely budget squeezes and the relatively low use on the PC9's (including the replacement) Id expect 2030ish at best.

sparky42 wrote: »
    I'd be highly surprised if they actually are replaced by then tbh. Between the likely budget squeezes and the relatively low use on the PC9's (including the replacement) Id expect 2030ish at best.

I kinda thought 2025 was a bit optimistic myself.

I kinda thought 2025 was a bit optimistic myself.
    Pretty much, I mean I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2035ish tbh. Short of any major change in DF duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Coveney will tell DOD we need jets, DOD will do a google search and see a pc9 with sidewinders. They will buy a few ring the minister problem solved we now have an intercept capability .Just not the small things like speed and radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

capture14.jpg?w=625

Not a chance!

With All the power now in Cork and talks of cork airport not viable according to some media we could suggest that if the government bough jets and based them in cork it would safe the airport and loads of jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Extremely good idea. Could share the facility with the Spanish Air Force. Remember the battle of Kinsale etc.

roadmaster wrote: »
    With All the power now in Cork and talks of cork airport not viable according to some media we could suggest that if the government bough jets and based them in cork it would safe the airport and loads of jobs!

Sure, and we could rename it the Cork Air Corps along with the Cork Navy...

Extremely good idea. Could share the facility with the Spanish Air Force. Remember the battle of Kinsale etc.

What are you blithering about???

• Advertisement

punchdrunk wrote: »
    Not a chance!

I think its most likely the PC-9 be replaced by PC-21

Interesting point of view...

I think its most likely the PC-9 be replaced by PC-21

Nothing wrong with the PC-9’s as trainers- far more important to buy more helicopters and crew them

Could come in a bit handy all right. Maybe a few of them Baby Shark remote control ones might be useful. Seeing as theres a shortage of pilots. A couple of them twin engine Boeing jobbies would be great as well. Not sure if we need any Apatches at the moment. Wouldn't mind a smatterin of them though.

Sure, and we could rename it the Cork Air Corps along with the Cork Navy...
    The People's Republic approve of this!

Nothing wrong with the PC-9’s as trainers- far more important to buy more helicopters and crew them

Never said there was anything wrong with it, but they will be replaced at some stage.

The People's Republic approve of this!

Of China maybe :p

Of China maybe :p

OR Apple Inc.!

Good video here. Wonder are they watching this down in Baldonnel?

https://youtu.be/sV9Brhzefzc

Why? Theyd be crap as interceptors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Why? Theyd be crap as interceptors.

Gripen maybe

Gripen maybe

Great if someone is willing to pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,200 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what roles do you think they might fulfill?

Similar to pc9 and preparation for transition to Gripen.

Similar to pc9 and preparation for transition to Gripen.

The only way we’d get Grippens would be if the EU forced us to have a QRF and then the training would be outsourced

Reminder that we once spent several times what we now do as a % and the nation managed just fine.

Reminder that we once spent several times what we now do as a % and the nation managed just fine.

We haven’t had current and effective fighter aircraft since the mid 40’s, even the vampire was redundant when we got it

We haven’t had current and effective fighter aircraft since the mid 40’s, even the vampire was redundant when we got it

Not disagreeing with you, never mentioned the AC, I meant the defence budget, we sustained over 1% of GDP in defence when said GDP was tiny compared to what we are today (or even GNI if you take out the GDP funny numbers). That's my point, the whole "who pays for it" ignores the fact that we spent more before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Bombing and strafeing Johnny furriner wallahs of course!!

Might even get two 50 cals in the back turret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Not disagreeing with you, never mentioned the AC, I meant the defence budget, we sustained over 1% of GDP in defence when said GDP was tiny compared to what we are today (or even GNI if you take out the GDP funny numbers). That's my point, the whole "who pays for it" ignores the fact that we spent more before.

Hungary leased the Gripen on good terms from Saab maybe we could do the same.

Advertisement