Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women-only Train Carriages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

klaaaz wrote: »
    Just watch the evenings get darker and the streets get quieter void of women walking alone in the dark for about 6 months of the year due to the threat of male violence(sexual and non-sexual). This is the valid reason why women have genuine fear going out on their own, they tend to use the car more as the streets are no longer safe due to the male gaze harassing them.
    I think it has more to do with the increasing threat of cold and rain as the evenings get darker and winter weather puts the fear in everyone. Sure you'd catch your death out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You keep saying that regardless of the facts presented.

You: women don’t go out at night in Ireland.
    Other women: yes they do. For example...

It must be a fairly scary and lonely world to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

No they don't on their own, you don't speak for other women, are you mansplaining?

It's like clockwork every year that most women don't go out on their own after dark due to the genuine fear of male violence. The streets do be deserted come October when the clocks go back, i've noticed it in my own burb, women are terrified of the threat of male violence.

No they don't on their own, you don't speak for other women, are you mansplaining?

It's like clockwork every year that most women don't go out on their own after dark due to the genuine fear of male violence. The streets do be deserted come October when the clocks go back, i've noticed it in my own burb, women are terrified of the threat of male violence.

you should stop overtalking the women in this thread imo

pushing your unsupported agenda at the expense of the actual female voices speaking makes you a poor ally imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

pushing your unsupported agenda at the expense of the actual female voices speaking makes you a poor ally imo
    This happens a fair bit around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You don’t speak for other women either, clearly.

Your neck of the woods is hardly representative of the entire urban population either. The streets are deserted because everyone’s either inside in the pubs, or getting taxis home, because it’s bloody cold outside from October to March! Even at that there are still a few who walk home on their own of both sexes - not too many men walk home on their own either. It’s not by virtue of their sex that people don’t walk home on their own, it’s generally because they don’t have to, unless they have no money to pay for transport or just don’t want to pay for transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Sheeps wrote: »
    Women don't need to be segregated from men. They do that kind of nonsense in Saudi Arabia. We just need to create a social norm where it becomes a giant race to call out creepy unacceptable shit from both sexes. Not only the creepy stuff, but any kind of anti-social behaviour.

I agree totally.

Believe it or not we had this thing in Ireland before, it is called community.

Unfortunately been eroded over many years; people caring more about how they are perceived by online friends as opposed to their real neighbours while they strut around in skinny jeans, coffee in hand, don't contribute to the formation/maintenance of community.

What? Women everywhere in this country have to take precautions especially when on their own and super especially in the dark. Men do not have that fear of being attacked because they are men.

It's a man's world regarding every day freedoms, the truth is that once the dark evenings happens women desert the streets en masse due to the genuine fear of male violence, it's only safe when women go out in groups, it's that bad.

To counter the genuine fear it needs the good men to actually stand up to misogynistic men who carry the threat of sexual assault on lone women.

What? Women everywhere in this country have to take precautions especially when on their own and super especially in the dark. Men do not have that fear of being attacked because they are men.

It's a man's world regarding every day freedoms, the truth is that once the dark evenings happens women desert the streets en masse due to the genuine fear of male violence, it's only safe when women go out in groups, it's that bad.

To counter the genuine fear it needs the good men to actually stand up to misogynistic men who carry the threat of sexual assault on lone women.

Men do have fear of being attacked actually, unless your built like a tank it can also be dangerous for men but I suppose as a woman it's hard to empathize with that.

Why would a man take a possible beating to stand up for a woman ? Especially if in your view of the world most are the enemy. It also doesn't seem very progressive having a man being protector.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Men do have fear of being attacked actually, unless your built like a tank it can also be dangerous for men but I suppose as a woman it's hard to empathize with that.

Why would a man take a possible beating to stand up for a woman ? Especially if in your view of the world most are the enemy. It also doesn't seem very progressive having a man being protector.

Men get attacked by violent men not women. Understand that some men are the problem creating problems for all of us hence the streets are not safe. Your wife/mother/daughter have to always get a taxi in the dark due to the threat of said men(some are sexual predators) prowling on them, not women.

• Advertisement

Men get attacked by violent men not women. Understand that some men are the problem creating problems for all of us hence the streets are not safe. Your wife/mother/daughter have to always get a taxi in the dark due to the threat of said men(some are sexual predators) prowling on them, not women.

Men do get attacked by other men and for the most part the scum out and about are men but there are also women in those groups who can be just as vicious. The answer is proper policing and enforcing the rule of law. Sure i would love for it to be safe for everyone to walk down the street any time they like but i know its not.

Just because your a certain sex doesn't mean you should have a bullet proof shield and be exempt from any attacks. I know exactly how dangerous things can be which is why i would be telling my daughters and if i had a son to take a taxi.

The problem i think most have with the line of thinking your going on is that men are essentially disposable. We are good enough to take a knife to the gut or a severe beating to protect the women but bastards otherwise.

you need to stop demonising/fetishizing men and male bodies. its so simplistic that tbh its almost hatespeech.

we are real people and exist outside of your ugly binary caricature of either rapist or punchbag for the supposed sins of our gender as projected by people like you

shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Well then, just look around you. Why do women majorly travel around in cars instead of walking?
    They do not feel safe walking around in the dark due to the real threat of male violence.

Imagine we had female police officers and they had to do night shifts... in the dark. Luckily we protect the fairer sex from that type of thing.

Open your eyes, men go out when its dark, women tend not to,

Who was I mooching on Camden St last Friday night then?!?!
    Who is doing the mugging and harassment, its men using their male privilege.

Are the men getting their heads kicked in using their male privilege too?
    male terror has dominated women's lives.

You terrify me. I'd be scared to be within 100 feet of you in case I happened to look in your direction after dusk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Is this a sign of a progressive society such as Sweden, with their women-only music festivals?
    Go forwards, by going backwards type of thing.

are you mansplaining?

Oh you're one of those people. Sorry for engaging you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Omackeral wrote: »
    Oh you're one of those people. Sorry for engaging you.
    I don't think they're for real - the posts are too parodyish. And also, are they male or female? If male, how self loathing can you get? Or is it a case of men except for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Klaaaz I was sympathetic to your fears in the beginning but this is getting ridiculous. You're painting a picture of a dystopian world where once the sun goes down women retreat indoors for fear of the rabid men who come out at night.

I agree men need to stand up to other men but so do women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The people responding to you are women. I know this because they say they are in the thread.

That’s hysterically untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

FTA69 wrote: »
    A woman I know this week had some creep on the Tube videoing her feet and legs and being a generally sleazy c*nt.

Is that illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I sincerely hope the "klaaaz" posts on this thread are a parody.

But I fear not. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Bambi wrote: »
    There's an argument to be made for having public transport that segregates black people from everyone else given their over representation in violent crime, are you going to make that argument? After all it's the obvious logical conclusion to your idea

It's f***king moronic.

It’s not “my idea”, it’s an idea I’ve seen implemented in some of the world’s major cities and which I haven’t completely made my mind up on yet.

What’s moronic is dragging race into an argument about the sexual harassment of women. If we follow on your logic having women’s changing rooms and women’s refuges or women’s swimming pool times are basically akin to racial segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think it would be unfair on innocent men. It is currently fair that the assholes are even distributed across the train. It wouldn't be fair if men had to deal with twice the assholes so that women didn't have to deal with any. I'd feel much safer in a mixed gender train than I would in a male only carriage.

It would probably smell worse too. I've had a few smelly men sit beside me but I can't ever recall a smelly woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

In Kuala Lumpur some trains have women only carriages but from what I can see they are more for the Muslim majority women who would prefer no males pushing up against them than for fear of assault. Most Malay females follow the Islamic dictat of not shaking hands or touching a male that is not their family/partner. As a country they are mostly very respectful, especially in public.

India is a different story. Any night trains I have been on I have booked family carriages for safety as trying to sleep as a single female traveling alone is risky. At least most men will behave if their wife/mother/kids are around.

I wished there was a women's only bus in Sri Lanka when I found a man's hand up my top. He got a thump to the balls. It didn't deter him, he tried again and got another thump. He followed me onto my next bus and as it was empty waiting to go, he sat across from me and started to ****. I took a photo and told him was going to the police. He soon f**ked off up the front of the bus.

They have seats at the front of the bus reserved for monks but I sat in them from there on in and gave any monks a look of "go f**k yourself" if they even thought of asking me to move.

I don't think Ireland needs them but some countries do. Some countries also need to empower the women to defend themselves. I have no problem kicking the crap out of anyone who crosses me. Grabbed a guy by the balls so hard nearly pulled them off when I was 16 coz he grabbed my privates, ground a guys balls into the carpet in a hotel room when he tried to assault me and grabbed a mugger by the throat against a wall in Bali until he gave my male friend his phone back.

Am a bit of a tough bitch coz have had to be. Been assaulted and abused too many times.

Sorry rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Men do not have that fear of being attacked because they are men.

Men are more likely to be attacked by strangers than women.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Klaaaz, please tone down the hyperbole and engage with other posters. Dont just keep repeating the same points again and again. Or dont post in the thread. Up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I sincerely hope the "klaaaz" posts on this thread are a parody.

But I fear not. *sigh*

I quite like hysteria. Women are far better at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Can we have one carriage for me and a separate one for the c*nts (everyone else).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

How about a jackeen only carriage? Rather than having them ruin the journey for the rest of us, we could have them put in a special carriage at the front of the train. One where they can hoover back cans and share their legendary ‘wit’ with each other while the rest of us can enjoy our journey in comfort.

Yes please, nothing worse than sitting beside a smelly culchie heading home for the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The_Brood wrote: »
    And what happens when you get smashed in the face for it? Who do you think is going to help? The Guards? Good luck if they arrive half a day later at best.

But if you are sure the guards won't come for that, are they going to arrive on being informed that a man went into this proposed female only carriage?

The idea is unworkable. Segregation is a thing to move away from in 2019 - not towards.

Advertisement