Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women-only Train Carriages

Options
  • 03-07-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

A woman I know this week had some creep on the Tube videoing her feet and legs and being a generally sleazy c*nt. He was caught out by another woman and a row erupted needless to say. Nearly every woman I’ve asked in London has had some sort of harassment on public transport; groping, staring, fellas w*nking, being followed, been commented at etc. It’s clear it’s a fairly substantial problem.

I’m just back from Mexico City and it was such an issue there they brought in women-only carriages and everyone I asked about it thought they were great and a welcome respite. Is there a need or scope for it in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Yes please. In a lot of cases the women are worse than the men!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

FTA69 wrote: »
    Is there a need or scope for it in Ireland?

No, not in Ireland, next.

Although I would be happy if patrons who insisted on talking loudly on mobile phones and eating loudly would have their own carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Commuter trains are standing room only at peak times, what happens if the women's carriage is the only one with space left over?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No, not in Ireland, next.

Although I would be happy if patrons who insisted on talking loudly on mobile phones and eating loudly would have their own carriage.

Or were thrown off the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm all for this. I won't have to watch them pouting at their phones and taking selfies for thing in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

no. the vast majority of men in ireland are decent.
    the ones that arent should be dealt a swift kick in the nuts when they act out.

parents, raise your boys to be decent and women, dont take $hit from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm all for this. I won't have to watch them pouting at their phones and taking selfies for thing in the morning.

Dont forget putting on the makeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Women don't need to be segregated from men. They do that kind of nonsense in Saudi Arabia. We just need to create a social norm where it becomes a giant race to call out creepy unacceptable shit from both sexes. Not only the creepy stuff, but any kind of anti-social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

parents, raise your boys and girls to be decent, and women and me; don’t take $hit from anyone.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

More security on the train, I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Sheeps wrote: »
    Women don't need to be segregated from men. They do that kind of nonsense in Saudi Arabia. We just need to create a social norm where it becomes a giant race to call out creepy unacceptable shit from both sexes. Not only the creepy stuff, but any kind of anti-social behaviour.

And what happens when you get smashed in the face for it? Who do you think is going to help? The Guards? Good luck if they arrive half a day later at best. And if by some miracle they catch the trash - they'll get a slap on the wrists, a talking to, and back out on the streets in no time out of their mind on drugs.

People don't want a police state like in America, but are unwilling to admit just how chaotic and lawless cities like Dublin have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I’d rather a sober only carriage with guaranteed seat, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's a problem and I'd be very surprised if it didn't happen in Ireland but the solution isn't to give women their own carriage where they can't be ogled or harassed, the solution is to tackle the harassment. Teach men that it *is* harassment and like someone else suggested, teach people that's OK to call this behaviour out.

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    I’d rather a sober only carriage with guaranteed seat, thanks

Iarnróid Éireann need to stamp out the wasters riding the rails on a dubious free pass. Wednesday morning commute, and there's a lurch in your ear smelling of cheap lager. Time for tough measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

How about a jackeen only carriage? Rather than having them ruin the journey for the rest of us, we could have them put in a special carriage at the front of the train. One where they can hoover back cans and share their legendary ‘wit’ with each other while the rest of us can enjoy our journey in comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

Who’s going to carry out all the crocodile dundee tests?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Teach men that it *is* harassment and like someone else suggested, teach people that's OK to call this behaviour out.

Teach them they might get a kick in the head too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Teach them they might get a kick in the head too.

Who is going to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Childfree carriages should come first:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Although I would be happy if patrons who insisted on talking loudly on mobile phones .

All those people that take calls on speaker while going around holding their phone in their hand near their mouth should be shot in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah, we should deffo bring back segregation.

****ing moronic idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

How about a jackeen only carriage?

Caste down :o not fit to clean the muck off your wellies

• Registered Users Posts: 15,797 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No. Because Ireland is neither London nor Mexico City.

An effective police force and a judiciary in touch with a world outside of their own little bubble would be nice though.

Latino culture in Mexico and elsewhere is far more macho than Ireland, more leering, whistling and catcalls than you'd ever get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Bambi wrote: »
    Yeah, we should deffo bring back segregation.

****ing moronic idea.

We already have sex-segregated spaces where there’s a clear need for them. In a city like Mexico or Tokyo where harassment is rife then it’s not a bad plan to have one at all. In the absence of them There’s an argument to be made for more security on the trains and stations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i thought when women only ones were full the women in normal ones were considered more asking for it otherwise they'd be in a women only one

that doesn't sound like the way to go
    we should focus on the perpetrators not the women

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

erica74 wrote: »
    Childfree carriages should come first:cool:

Or more accurately the annoying little sh1t carriage.

Ah its so delightful being a captive audience with a hyperactive little monster off his head on fanta and skittles for 3 hours while mammy is blissfully unaware or just doesn't give a toss. Not really blaming the kid. Its the goofy parents lack of control of said child and by extension complete inability to provide discipline.

Whinge over. Go in peace to love and serve the lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

and in this carriage, are the women wrapped in cotton wool or bubble wrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

parents, raise your boys to be decent and women, dont take $hit from anyone.

Just to add. Women, the world wasn't just made for you, climb down off that high horse and partake of common decent courtesy from time to time. Failing that, a kick in the fanny be swiftly dealt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

bluewolf wrote: »
    i thought when women only ones were full the women in normal ones were considered more asking for it otherwise they'd be in a women only one

'She wasn't in the women's carriage' could be the new 'she was dressed rather provocatively'.

It might be better to have a sex offenders section on the train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

FTA69 wrote: »
    We already have sex-segregated spaces where there’s a clear need for them. In a city like Mexico or Tokyo where harassment is rife then it’s not a bad plan to have one at all. In the absence of them There’s an argument to be made for more security on the trains and stations.

...and universal toilets.

Advertisement