Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for extreme wind event Friday/Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What did it get to last December, that was the worst storm we got here since 1998.
    edit:
    91 knots/172kmph
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/01/03/weather-warning-update-hurricane-gust-of-172kmhr-at-malin-head/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Looks to be at it's strongest between 5 and midnight Friday

wi21_zps6761ffae.gif

Another powerfull jetstream with it too

wi211_zpseda8de90.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Does anyone remember a storm in the winter of 2004 in the north east of the country?
    It was the worst storm I can remember and did a fair bit of damage around the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Sorry Smidge I don't know. Pangea it's unusually met.ie don't have that in extreme weather events as sustained winds were hurricane force
    Bsal could you please link the website you supplied for wind or anyone else who knows it. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Weathering wrote: »
    Sorry Smidge I don't know. Pangea it's unusually met.ie don't have that in extreme weather events as sustained winds were hurricane force
    Bsal could you please link the website you supplied for wind or anyone else who knows it. Thanks

Thanks anyway, have always wondered what kind of speeds the wind got up to during that storm:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Very stormy for the past 2 hrs in Galway .

latest from met.ie
    Today
    Becoming extremely windy by evening with gale force southerly winds with some very severe or damaging gusts, especially in exposed parts of the northwest. Top temperatures of 11 or 12 degrees.
    Tonight
    Extremely windy for a time early tonight in parts of the northwest and north but winds easing overnight
    Saturday night: Very cold, windy and showery on Saturday night, some showers wintry in parts of the north and northwest, some of sleet or wet snow possible in places. Strong westerly windy with some severe gusts in parts of Ulster and Connacht for a time. Overnight lows of 0 to 3 degrees with frost, mostly in sheltered areas

Snow and storms....what more could you want

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

windy enough here during the early hours. notice debris (Bins) scattered over the place and next doors satellite dish hanging off its mount. So am I right in saying, there is another more severe blast coming later today or was that it?

worst of it will be late afternoon/evening
    precursor u experienced

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Last 16 hours of wind speed tendency recorded by my weather station:

234124.png

And data:

Current data for co.Mayo, co.Roscommon border PWS
    28 Dec 2012 08:33:39

Temperature (°C):
    Current 10,0
    Trend (per hour) 0
    Average today 8,6
    Wind chill 5,8
    Heat Index 10,0
    Dew Point 9,9
    Rel Humidity 99%

Wind (km/h):
    Current Gust 55,1 S
    Average Speed 42,8 S

Rainfall (mm):
    Current rate 0,0
    Last hour 0,0
    Total today 0,0
    Total yesterday 0,3
    Total this month 34,5
    Total this year 677,1

Pressure (hPa):
    Current 976,9
    Trend (per hour) -0,4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

French fishing vessel currently off the Mayo coast making a southerly course at 9knts. If she isn't intending making port I'd speculate she is trying to get South of the weather forecast for today, but at 9knts her autopilot will be working hard to steer the course with the wind abeam her starboard quarter.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Last 16 hours of wind speed tendency recorded by my weather station:

Unfortunately you chopped off the x axis from the graph :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's for tendency only, but here's full one...

234125.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Gust of close to 90 km/h recorded at Belmullet at 9am. It should keep getting stronger there before peaking in around 9-10 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

The wind down here in Cork is howling since I got up. Roches Point recorded a gust of 61km/h, so while not as bad as the north west.

It has been a while since I have heard south-westerly wind sound like this, and we are a few hours away from the main event. So will be interesting to see how this develops.

The system is not much to look at yet on Satellite.

All calm here, not a puff of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Spindle wrote: »
    The wind down here in Cork is howling since I got up. Roches Point recorded a gust of 61km/h, so while not as bad as the north west.
    hardly any wind in sw donegal yet (gust 31kts) according to finner

also no weather warnings for NI on the uk met office

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Large branches swaying slightly. Lovely and mild here in Donegal Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

lads is everywhere to be effected by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Windy in West Wicklow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

irish1967 wrote: »
    Large branches swaying slightly. Lovely and mild here in Donegal Town.

that's nice for a change :D

wind howling here in cork, although i expect this is the "calm" before the actual storm

Met Eireann have a new warning out that lists counties, so now everyone can see what to expect, when and where :

Weather Warning

Issued at 28 December 2012 - 10:20 Weather warning update

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork and Kerry: Strong to gale force southerly winds will gust 110 to 130 km/h today and for a time tonight. Valid: 28 Dec 2012 - 15:00 to 28 Dec 2012 - 23:00

Wind Warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford: Strong to gale force southerly winds will gust 90 to 115 km/h today. Valid: 28 Dec 2012 - 12:00 to 28 Dec 2012 - 21:00

Variable breeze here in West Munster, misty grey day but relatively warm.

Nice detailed warning by Met Eireann.

103 users currently on the weather forum, be interesting to see that number climb as the winds increase :)

No red warning now for Connacht though
    http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

viewimage-60_zpsd45a4fde.png

Pangea wrote: »
    No red warning now for Connacht though
    http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html

Probably because they reduced the max gusts by 10 km/h.

What a pretty picture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

On a side note, potential for some snowfall tomorrow evening in the West and South. Nothing much, but under the present situation seeing any white stuff is nigh a miracle!

Wind looks damaging today, howling here all ready in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why are winds stronger at nighttime ? or are they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

fryup wrote: »
    why are winds stronger at nighttime ? or are they?

My own observations don't support this theory, I've most of my highest recorded winds during daytime.

However, there certainly seem to be more storms that roll in and out during the hours of darkness.

Whilst darkness can be a factor in some phenomena, I don't think it significant to these systems that just roll over everything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement