Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential for extreme wind event Friday/Saturday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Very windy here in Derry. At least 40mph sustained or gusts as Foyle Bridge is limited to 30mph and closed to high sided vehicles.

I shall be out and about with the camera later trying to get some footage.

Definitely one of the windiest events I've experienced this year that I can remember.

Power back on in Terenure, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Just drove from Dublin to Nenagh on the M7, would really urge caution to anyone driving on motorways tonight as on 2 occasions the car swerved considerably due to sudden gusts, must be even worse further west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

58knots @ bellmullet
    nothing exceptional as of yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

mel.b wrote: »
    It's really not that bad here in Ennis - if I hadn't seen this here wouldn't have thought twice about it...was a lot worse the other night.

Likewise in Donegal, I haven't kept up to date with the weather this week so knew nothing about this until I heard it on the news earlier, some strong gusts but nothing more than a standard windy day so far

Belmullet and Mace Head only at gale force 8 on the latest reports, max gust of 58kts at Belmullet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

107 km/h gust at Belmullet, strongest so far.

If I had to guess I'd say the peak gust there will be either at 7pm or maybe 8pm and won't be over 120 km/h.
    Harps wrote: »
    Likewise in Donegal, I haven't kept up to date with the weather this week so knew nothing about this until I heard it on the news earlier, some strong gusts but nothing more than a standard windy day so far

Belmullet and Mace Head only at gale force 8 on the latest reports, max gust of 58kts at Belmullet

Winds in Dongegal won't pick up until they've peaked in the west. But I don't think you'll see winds there as strong as they are on the west coast now because of the angle of the winds coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Strong winds in Athlone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Really picking up here in Westport, Garden Centre roof is creaking with lights swinging high in the roof. Large Windows are bowing inwards....extreme gusts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

greenpilot wrote: »
    Really picking up here in Westport, Garden Centre roof is creaking with lights swinging high in the roof. Large Windows are bowing inwards....extreme gusts.

Not surprising then that there are significant power interruptions across Connaught according to the ESB - also quite a few places in Munster without power. They do however hope to get most power restored quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Highest wind speed today so far here in North Kildare was 32km/h. Getting wilder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Bins !!

Have been out and about in south Dublin and there's debris from bins flying all over place. Including crushed drinks cans, ouch !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some very strong gusts in Castlebar at the moment.Has picked up in the past 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Not wrote: »
    Bins !!

Have been out and about in south Dublin and there's debris from bins flying all over place. Including crushed drinks cans, ouch !

Yeah, people should really be taking in their bins and securing what they can when there is a storm about, there where a few flying about when I was out earlier, they would cause a bit of damage if they hit you.

The wind and gusts seem to have peaked here in Cork, not getting any worse, but it still is not a nice night to be out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Very little wind here in NE Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Weathering wrote: »
    58knots @ bellmullet
    nothing exceptional as of yet

It feels a lot more than that at the minute. Picked up again in the last 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭pad199207

gust 60 kmh here now

111 km/h gust at the M6 buoy. Seems to be a little weaker than expected unless the timing is off a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The wind in Cork is just gusty but has a good force to it so everything is shaking as if the wind was stronger.

I've personally caught 54 and 36km/h gusts from my anemometers with the local airport reporting 88km/h gusts from a little earlier.

I think it may have peaked here: time: 19:15

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Not so bad as I expected. Today's (so far) maximum observed @ 13:13 - 79.6 km/h. Now looks like no increase in terms of wind's speed. :)

234166.png

Current data for co.Mayo, co.Roscommon border PWS
    28 Dec 2012 19:21:01

Temperature (°C):
    Current 10,7
    Trend (per hour) +0,1
    Average today 9,6
    Wind chill 6,2
    Heat Index 10,7
    Dew Point 10,6
    Rel Humidity 99%

Wind (km/h):
    Current Gust 68,4 S
    Average Speed 56,8 S

Rainfall (mm):
    Current rate 0,0
    Last hour 0,0
    Total today 6,9
    Total yesterday 0,3
    Total this month 41,4
    Total this year 684,0

Pressure (hPa):
    Current 964,5
    Trend (per hour) -1,2

By the way - data can be watched live (if anyone interested) here:

www.joujoujou.com/weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

It's peaking here (Belmullet, can't edit my location on the phone) now. Strongest wind I've encountered in a while. Hard to walk in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

the electricty is flickering here in Louisburgh:eek:
    Its gone in some areas around Westport.Trees down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Holy crap. The wind sounds like cats squealing. I'm bricking it here. It opened a closed door inside the house and we obviously have no windows open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Holy crap. The wind sounds like cats squealing. I'm bricking it here. It opened a closed door inside the house and we obviously have no windows open.

Have a Mars, it'll take your mind off it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

No power here in Murrisk, Westport for the last 45 minutes or so. Seems to be on in Westport town itself. Strong gusts every now and again.

Power still off here in Murrisk. Wind strength as before. Very mild too. According to the thermometer we have outside the front door its 13 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Wind speed goes up.

28 Dec 2012 20:05:55

Temperature (°C):
    Current 10,7
    Trend (per hour) +0,1
    Average today 9,6
    Wind chill 6,0
    Heat Index 10,7
    Dew Point 10,6
    Rel Humidity 99%

Wind (km/h):
    Current Gust 80,6 SE
    Average Speed 61,8 S

Rainfall (mm):
    Current rate 0,0
    Last hour 0,0
    Total today 6,9
    Total yesterday 0,3
    Total this month 41,4
    Total this year 684,0

Pressure (hPa):
    Current 964,3
    Trend (per hour) -1,1

=============

Edit: and up, and up...

28 grudzień 2012 20:09:51

Temperature (°C):
    Current 10,6
    Trend (per hour) +0,1
    Average today 9,6
    Wind chill 5,8
    Heat Index 10,6
    Dew Point 10,5
    Rel Humidity 99%

Wind (km/h):
    Current Gust 97,9 SE
    Average Speed 62,7 S

Rainfall (mm):
    Current rate 0,0
    Last hour 0,0
    Total today 6,9
    Total yesterday 0,3
    Total this month 41,4
    Total this year 684,0

Pressure (hPa):
    Current 964,5
    Trend (per hour) -0,9

• Registered Users Posts: 10 1fm

Nice little tracker here courtesy of the Waterford Airport website
    http://www.flywaterford.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=184&Itemid=100083

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

78.9 km here in the good ol' sunny south east!

109 km/h gusts at Belmullet and Newport, Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ooh, squall line developing?
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    234169.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Tv starting to go on and off here in West Wicklow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement