Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 14:57   #541
joe40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 979
There is a lot of nonsense about behaviour been "programmed into us" by evolution. Humans are more complex than that. I'm a 49 year old male and thankfully not on the dating scene but if I was I would in no way be interested in a 25 year old to form a relationship with. Ok If I'm perfectly honest the opportunity for no strings attached one night stand absolutely.

But a relationship is much more than that. At this stage I would have very little in common with a 25 year old woman and there is no way any sensible, intelligent emotionally stable 25 year old would be interested in a relationship with me. I wouldn't know what to talk about.

Any Man who thinks they are is a clown that is been used.

Take Trump for example he just looks ridiculous standing beside Melania.
joe40 is offline  
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 15:06   #542
Greentopia
Registered User
 
Greentopia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Flower View Post
I also know there's a lot of men who simply don't care that their wife is no longer youthful and are happy to grow old together. Same goes for women
Yep. My guy is handsome and could get much younger women but has no interest in them, finds it sad that some older guys leech after young women. We love each other regardless of age or appearance. I think men who defend this guy do a disservice to men like my partner who are more interested in personality and character than having a young thing on their arm to boost their ego.
Greentopia is offline  
11-01-2019, 15:06   #543
Lotus Flower
Registered User
 
Lotus Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Nihili View Post
We are not "programmed" in the sense that we have no choice in the matter.

I'm quite sure that Bezos could get himself a gorgeous 25-year-old girlfriend just by clicking his fingers, if he wanted one. Lots of young women would jump at the the opportunity to date someone worth $137 billion.

So it doesn't make sense, in your theory, that he would dump his 48-year-old wife for someone a year older than her. Why isn't he going after 20-somethings, per his alleged genetic programming?

Yep, and though my Bowie/ Iman example was dismissed as a bad one, he stayed married to her when she was in her 60s (until his death, obviously). Using the same logic, why didn't he ditch her for someone younger long before that
Lotus Flower is offline  
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 15:14   #544
Vox Nihili
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,034
The other thing about M. Moix ... even if he's able to pull 25-year-olds today, what is he going to do when he's 60 or 70? There will inevitably come a point when he's left all alone, having sacrificed his ability to build a loving life partnership due to his obsession with youthful bodies.
Vox Nihili is offline  
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 15:17   #545
Tell me how
Registered User
 
Tell me how's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe40 View Post

Any Man who thinks they are is a clown that is been used.

Take Trump for example he just looks ridiculous standing beside Melania.
I disagree with them being a clown. If that is what they feel most comfortable with, they are entitled to seek it out. I think they are misguided in the true value of a partner within a relationship but that is only my opinion as much as their opinion is theirs.

I'm sure Melania went in to her marriage with both eyes open.
Tell me how is offline  
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 15:44   #546
joe40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
I disagree with them being a clown. If that is what they feel most comfortable with, they are entitled to seek it out. I think they are misguided in the true value of a partner within a relationship but that is only my opinion as much as their opinion is theirs.

I'm sure Melania went in to her marriage with both eyes open.
As Mrs Merton asked Debby McGee
"So what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels"
joe40 is offline  
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 15:45   #547
glasso
Registered User
 
glasso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Flower View Post
Yep, and though my Bowie/ Iman example was dismissed as a bad one, he stayed married to her when she was in her 60s (until his death, obviously). Using the same logic, why didn't he ditch her for someone younger long before that
well obviously the older a man gets his libido is going down. most of these people with options won't typically marry again much beyond mid 50's at the latest but will have typically gone through a few before that.

and what I said can also apply to women on the other side if they are so inclined even without the inherent male attraction to fertility - you have J-Lo for example. she can afford all those divorces , has high social status, excellent social circles and yeah still looks decent.

what I said about genetic programming does not overcome everything - there is still the power of decision-making. I'm simply showing what happens in the larger majority of cases where the normal rules don't apply.

social norms, factors like will my kids talk to me after this, financial considerations, social status, etc etc all come into it. it's complicated of course.

Last edited by glasso; 11-01-2019 at 16:46.
glasso is offline  
11-01-2019, 15:47   #548
Vox Nihili
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
I'm sure Melania went in to her marriage with both eyes open.
Melania and Donald in 1998 when they first met:



They don't look absurdly mismatched there, but he hasn't aged well.
Vox Nihili is offline  
11-01-2019, 16:08   #549
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron de Charlus View Post
Hands up who's heard of Yann Moix before today?

Hands up who's heard of him now?

I'd say Monsiour Moix is feeling very pleased with his day's work.
How the fcuk can you see my hands you creep!!!???
Sycamore Tree is offline  
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 17:00   #550
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts
Registered User
 
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Flower View Post
Yep, and though my Bowie/ Iman example was dismissed as a bad one, he stayed married to her when she was in her 60s (until his death, obviously). Using the same logic, why didn't he ditch her for someone younger long before that
Iman is an outlier, looks-wise though. She’s still very striking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Nihili View Post
Melania and Donald in 1998 when they first met:



They don't look absurdly mismatched there, but he hasn't aged well.
Ahhh, no, he still looks a state in that old photo. He had a brief cameo in Home Alone 2 from 1992 - looked a state. He has looked ridiculous for a long, long time.
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts is offline  
11-01-2019, 17:15   #551
Lotus Flower
Registered User
 
Lotus Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts View Post
Iman is an outlier, looks-wise though. She’s still very striking.


Oh I fully agree, no arguments there. But the point the poster was making was that men were programmed towards youth and will, in the majority of cases, go after younger models when he has the resources to do so
Lotus Flower is offline  
11-01-2019, 17:29   #552
glasso
Registered User
 
glasso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Flower View Post
Oh I fully agree, no arguments there. But the point the poster was making was that men were programmed towards youth and will, in the majority of cases, go after younger models when he has the resources to do so
when Bowie was getting old and his libido waning Iman was still good - no need for an upgrade.
glasso is offline  
11-01-2019, 17:52   #553
Chris_Heilong
Registered User
 
Chris_Heilong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,134
How the hell is this thread still going? simple fact is men in their 50s can still mostly perform where as women are past it sexually(menopause) by then so it would be unfair to expect a single man in his 50s to be settling for a sexless relationship. Older man younger woman has been the norm for millennia.
Chris_Heilong is offline  
11-01-2019, 17:55   #554
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts
Registered User
 
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Heilong View Post
How the hell is this thread still going? simple fact is men in their 50s can still mostly perform where as women are past it sexually(menopause) by then so it would be unfair to expect a single man in his 50s to be settling for a sexless relationship. Older man younger woman has been the norm for millennia.
Wha’?
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts is offline  
11-01-2019, 18:09   #555
greencap
Registered User
 
greencap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Heilong View Post
How the hell is this thread still going? simple fact is men in their 50s can still mostly perform where as women are past it sexually(menopause) by then so it would be unfair to expect a single man in his 50s to be settling for a sexless relationship. Older man younger woman has been the norm for millennia.
filthy over fifty.

a new search term for you to enjoy.


... and also regret.
greencap is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet