Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Indo has a lot more questions to answer about what they know of who else is involved and when they knew.

https://twitter.com/SMacB/status/1391428776140185611/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭jmcc

Indo has a lot more questions to answer about what they know of who else is involved and when they knew.

https://twitter.com/SMacB/status/1391428776140185611/photo/1

It also seems to be spreading to friends of Harris in the Dublin media who were interacting with these sockpuppet accounts as far back as 2017 or so. Tweet shredders have been working overtime. :)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    It also seems to be spreading to friends of Harris in the Dublin media who were interacting with these sockpuppet accounts as far back as 2017 or so. Tweet shredders have been working overtime. :)

Regards...jmcc

Somebody has most of them archived.
    https://pastefs.com/pid/288430
    https://pastefs.com/pid/288431

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Jaysci20 wrote: »
    Whether or not you agree with his views, one thing for certain is that Harris was a genius with his arguments, and a genius with words. Irish media will be a lesser place and more barren without his presence.

You forgot to mention your great singing Eoghan, dont be modest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You forgot to mention your great singing Eoghan, dont be modest.

His ability to fall out with those closest to him is legendary as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be curious as to whether there's any obvious variations in style in those tweets; i.e. could you have any way of telling if they were all written by the same hand, or if they'd actually been written by half a dozen people as claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭jmcc

would be curious as to whether there's any obvious variations in style in those tweets; i.e. could you have any way of telling if they were all written by the same hand, or if they'd actually been written by half a dozen people as claimed.
    Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylometry

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭golfball37

Terry Prone did an absolute number on him today in examiner. It was like Tyson in his prime or the Eubank punch on Watson that time.

Of course now she’s a shinner as she’s taking delight in his demise

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

I looked at the supposed McInerney campaign of "abuse" he perpetrated against her. As I suspected, totally innocuous.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Terry Prone did an absolute number on him today in examiner. It was like Tyson in his prime or the Eubank punch on Watson that time.

She mentions Aoife Moore's well-being. I'm sure Prone is acutely aware of female mental health since the suicide of Kate Fitzgerald.

• Advertisement

I looked at the supposed McInerney campaign of "abuse" he perpetrated against her. As I suspected, totally innocuous.

His comments to the female journalists are not the problem, his attitude to women is well known and while low and repulsive it's not a ban offence on twitter, a platform full of weirdos and anon stalker types.

The legal letters he has engendered, the reputation damage to papers he is associated with, that is why he had to go.

She mentions Aoife Moore's well-being. I'm sure Prone is acutely aware of female mental health since the suicide of Kate Fitzgerald.

Kate Fitzgerald hardly had run ins with Harris, are you implying he was running an anonymous hate campaign against her as well.

While it certainly would be his type, it's not so...

Fairly low of you to twist her death to your own needs.

Danzy wrote: »
    His comments to the female journalists are not the problem, his attitude to women is well known and while low and repulsive it's not a ban offence on twitter, a platform full of weirdos and anon stalker types.

The legal letters he has engendered, the reputation damage to papers he is associated with, that is why he had to go.

The pathetic attempt to vindicate him, by attacking the honesty of two women speaks volumes about who would have been his fans.
    You are correct, this line of 'attack' keeps coming up against the wall of wider implications here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Danzy wrote: »
    Kate Fitzgerald hardly had run ins with Harris, are you implying he was running an anonymous hate campaign against her as well.
    no, see the 'controversy' section here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Clinic

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

20silkcut wrote: »
    Yes brexit killed the west brits.
    When the British government was led by the likes of John major , Mo mowlam, Tony Blair etc and was one of the adults in the room it was easy for the west brits to sing the praises of all things West British.

Now all that is flipped on its head.
    West Brit stock has plummeted to almost zero . Look at the Charlie Flanagan Black and Tan episode last year. Totally out of touch. And now Eoghan Harris. Where would Conor cruise o Brien be in the current world? It is one of the more satisfying positives of brexit.

Such utter tripe. This person seems actually to believe that there existed a class of Irish people in the 21st century with allegiance to Britain! West Brit is a term used by zealous nationalists to denounce people not sufficiently enamoured of Gaelic culture: if you don’t conform to their sense of Irishness you must be British. The literal sense of the term has no truth.

Such utter tripe. This person seems actually to believe that there existed a class of Irish people in the 21st century with allegiance to Britain! West Brit is a term used by zealous nationalists to denounce people not sufficiently enamoured of Gaelic culture: if you don’t conform to their sense of Irishness you must be British. The literal sense of the term has no truth.

Well some people in Ireland, as we have seen, have views indistinguishable from ultra unionists. You yourself get triggered by a cupla focal on the radio once. Got you into a rage, it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

golfball37 wrote: »

But she's not simply taking delight in his demise; her article is deeper and more thoughtful than that:

"...For 50 years, Harris built a career out of duplicity, force of personality, lack of insight, flashes of creativity widely separated from each other, frenzied self-regard, and sheer uncaring nastiness to others. Anybody who’s come into contact with him could see him for what he was. And is. Because he has never changed.

But in half a century, nobody stopped him. Nobody stopped him. That’s our shame. Not his."

But she's not simply taking delight in his demise; her article is deeper and more thoughtful than that:

"...For 50 years, Harris built a career out of duplicity, force of personality, lack of insight, flashes of creativity widely separated from each other, frenzied self-regard, and sheer uncaring nastiness to others. Anybody who’s come into contact with him could see him for what he was. And is. Because he has never changed.

But in half a century, nobody stopped him. Nobody stopped him. That’s our shame. Not his."

Why didn't Prone stop him? She writes about him today after he is sacked. Where were her articles about him before this? Easy to kick a man when he is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I think you could trust the word of the Jewish Representative Council of Ireland when they say someone is not an antisemite:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/jewish-council-in-ireland-comes-to-defence-of-kevin-myers-1.3172216

That was only because Kevin Myers is a Zionist. Other Jewish people weren't happy about his article. In fact Jewish people complained and that's what led to his downfall. I don't think journalism has lost much by his absence. The same goes for Harris.

For me, the bizarre thing is that it's accepted as normal for journalists to act as political campaigners, especially on the national broadcaster.

Why didn't Prone stop him?
    there have been several mentions of him not having been 'stopped'. how does one 'stop' someone who has a column in the indo?

there are loads of blowhards whose words i would not miss should i never read them again. but i don't know how to stop them.

• Advertisement

there have been several mentions of him not having been 'stopped'. how does one 'stop' someone who has a column in the indo?

there are loads of blowhards whose words i would not miss should i never read them again. but i don't know how to stop them.

Prone seems to think he could have been stopped when she references that in 50 years nobody "stopped" him. Maybe she's just another one delighting in his downfall and scoring some cheap points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Saw Harris referred to as a "Genius" in a few career epitaphs written about him. Is there any evidence of this?

From what I could see he was a one-trick pony and it wasn't an especially subtle or enchanting trick. If he was in fact a genius he might have realised that his weekly unhinged rants were actually quite helpful to Sinn Fein. They were always there as Exhibit A in their claims that the Irish media (and INM in particular) were biased against them.

I remember last year in the week prior to the general election he went on Newstalk and brought up the Holocaust as some very messed up analogy for people voting for Sinn Fein. There are plenty of adjectives I would use to describe him: bitter, angry, disturbed but no, definitely not genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

fvp4 wrote: »
    Well some people in Ireland, as we have seen, have views indistinguishable from ultra unionists. You yourself get triggered by a cupla focal on the radio once. Got you into a rage, it did.

This is true , some people believe we would have been better staying in the Union with Britain or having a version of home rule.

From what I could see he was a one-trick pony
    you should read his bio on wikipedia. he had many tricks, there was never an opinion he deeply held which at some point in his life he was diametrically opposed to.

Why didn't Prone stop him? She writes about him today after he is sacked. Where were her articles about him before this? Easy to kick a man when he is down.

Two posts making much the same comment - maybe you should focus a bit more on Harris and remove Prone from the sights of your rusty popgun.

Incidetally, in what way could she have "stopped him"? Hired a hit man?

you should read his bio on wikipedia. he had many tricks, there was never an opinion he deeply held which at some point in his life he was diametrically opposed to.

I can't remember him criticising Bertie the Digout King, who - it should never be forgotten - rewarded him for his uncritical worship by appointing him to the Seanad.

Incidetally, in what way could she have "stopped him"? Hired a hit man?

Harris was above those sort of SF-IRA tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It is but in Harris’ case it’s also important to kick him when he’s down and whenever possible really. Metaphorically speaking of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Saw Harris referred to as a "Genius" in a few career epitaphs written about him. Is there any evidence of this?

From what I could see he was a one-trick pony and it wasn't an especially subtle or enchanting trick. If he was in fact a genius he might have realised that his weekly unhinged rants were actually quite helpful to Sinn Fein. They were always there as Exhibit A in their claims that the Irish media (and INM in particular) were biased against them.

I remember last year in the week prior to the general election he went on Newstalk and brought up the Holocaust as some very messed up analogy for people voting for Sinn Fein. There are plenty of adjectives I would use to describe him: bitter, angry, disturbed but no, definitely not genius.

While SF were making ground on dissatisfaction with the (deniable and officially denied but very real) rise in the cost of living, media opponents like Harris thought they could mark SF as untouchables thus avoiding the issue altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I'm not sure the moniker West Brit denotes allegiance to Britain per se so much as the Anglophilic and partitionist views that these people hold. See also cultural cringe, obsession with the British/German royal family and so on.

Thankfully it is becoming less prevalent and 20silkcut is correct that Brexit has diminished it severely.

Btw here's exhibit A of the fawning obsequiousness of these people:

Ofc the video doesn't include the worst, eg that the prince represented "everything we aspire to".

Advertisement