Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoghan Harris terminated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I don't like Eoghan Harris, and I like his politics less. But I think firing him is very extreme, unless something more emerges. Tweeting anonymously is hardly a firing crime, and the tweets don't seem to have been as severe as I had suspected when I heard the news anyway. It was the kind of horseshti you'd expect from him really. I would totally have understanded if they had wanted to get rid of him for writing the same anti nationalist stuff for a generation, but that doesn't seem to have been the problem at all.

Some of the tweets were attacks on the new owners wife, think sacking was getting off lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jaysci20 wrote: »
    I looked at the supposed McInerney campaign of "abuse" he perpetrated against her. As I suspected, totally innocuous.

Pics or gtfo

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Is it? And what about the reaction of republicans? The whole chain of events did not just happen on thier own.

There was no public support for 1916 - few fellas get shot - moral outrage - public sympathy - blood sacrifice etc -etc.
    Truce - War over - spilt - infighting. Odd skirmish from the disaffected in the 30's 40's etc

The troubles - 1960's - 1990's dressed up as a 'war' by some of those involved.
    But the way I see it a war needs popular support - all island. If a 'war; does not have popular support it is something else entirely.

Republicans took years to compromise as did Unionists. Like two teenagers fighting. Left to the parents - UK and Ireland who just had to wait for them to mature, and grow out it.
    Some still have a long way to go on both sides - still a bit of madhouse. Just the guns have stopped firing.

So you are a fan of SA apartheid and the current crap in Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

tipptom wrote: »
    Go away with your BS trying to weasel out of your scummy statement.

You have been nothing but nasty about Aoife Moore in your posts since this broke about her seeking counsellling about the attacks on her from this PYM account.

Terry Prone then gives an interview against Harris and you bring up Kate Fitzgearlds name,a girl who commited suicide,to sling at Prone

You now embarrass yourself trying to pretend that this is not a dig at Prone and that you are suddenly concerned for Aoife Moore getting counselling

These are the very same nasty cowardly tactics as Harris,but you could have either apologised for using Kate Fitzgearlds name or just shut up,and i am sure you are aware of how the Fitzgearld family made public of how distressesing it was for them of how their dead daughters name was been used to attack someone and they wanted it to cease.

Ah very concerned for Aoife Moore and Kate Fitzgerald. I'm sure you're equally concerned about Joanne Mathers, an innocent mother gunned down by the Sf- IRA for the heinous crime of collecting census forms. Or Jean McConville.

I stand over my statement - Terry Prone would be very aware of the importance of female mental health, more so than most. I'm sure she is very aware of all the facts surrounding the suicide of Kate Fitzgerald. Prone herself hurled from the ditch today and brought up the well-being of her colleague, Aoife Moore. I have said nothing about Aoife Moore except that the widely reported tweet of "backside in the air" was innocuous.

It's okay to call Harris a creep and misogynist though. What amounts to cowardice and weasle statements is the complete faux-concern expressed by people such as yourself for various "victims" on the receiving end of innocuous tweets.

Well, of course Brutal was worse, but another poster was saying that McAleese was a great example in dealing with 'royalty', while she was better I would not go that far because the "wow" which was cringy, especially when it was premeditated and not an off the cuff reaction.

Personally I think Martin McGuinness gave a great example

The wow might have been how good the accent or pronunciation the Queen had. She seemed to do ok if I recall.

• Advertisement

Some of the tweets were attacks on the new owners wife, think sacking was getting off lightly

Really? Any links or archives?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭jmcc

fvp4 wrote: »

Think that the link to her blog post about it was posted up-thread.

Regards...jmcc

The wow might have been how good the accent or pronunciation the Queen had. She seemed to do ok if I recall.

McAleese was embarrassing, kowtowing to someone who wouldn't be out of place in a marquee in Longford

Was linked yesterday, whether it was because she was from Strabane that annoyed him or some bizarre loyalty to Redacted, we'll never know
    https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2021/05/10/news/harris-linked-to-second-account-which-targeted-female-media-figures-from-the-north-2316110/

Ah very concerned for Aoife Moore and Kate Fitzgerald. I'm sure you're equally concerned about Joanne Mathers, an innocent mother gunned down by the Sf- IRA for the heinous crime of collecting census forms. Or Jean McConville.

This is total deflection. You seem to think that only SF dislike Harris. It’s fairly common. I mean his colleagues aren’t defending him.
    I stand over my statement - Terry Prone would be very aware of the importance of female mental health, more so than most. I'm sure she is very aware of all the facts surrounding the suicide of Kate Fitzgerald. Prone herself hurled from the ditch today and brought up the well-being of her colleague, Aoife Moore. I have said nothing about Aoife Moore except that the widely reported tweet of "backside in the air" was innocuous.

You’ve said nothing about Aoife but the thing you said multiple times which was itself a deflection. You’ve also ignored that the arse in the air tweet, wasn’t all he said to Moore and implied that tweets were innocuous and the only reason he was removed from Twitter.
    It's okay to call Harris a creep and misogynist though.

Sure.

Edit:

Removed a quote that was edited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's okay to call Harris a creep and misogynist though. What amounts to cowardice and weasle statements is the complete faux-concern expressed by people such as yourself for various "victims" on the receiving end of innocuous tweets.

I can't help but read your posts in a high pitched Eoghan Harris voice in my head for some reason, and I'm sure I am not the only one doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That's correct.
    Lady McBeth/Northern Whig might get you there.

McAleese was embarrassing, kowtowing to someone who wouldn't be out of place in a marquee in Longford

I like the Queen. Also I’m probably not interested in a UI. Unless it had no significant consequence or cost.

And yet I don’t like Harris. I think that’s why his day is done, and the others. Maybe over reacting to the nationalist narrative in Ireland made sense in 1990. However deriding John Hume, fetishing ulster unionism, accusing Ireland of bullying the U.K. on Brexit, accusing the Irish times of being nationalist, saying SF control RTE, complaining about Leo fanning the flames of AngloPhobia because he didn’t give the British, who didn’t know what they wanted, what they wanted.

Insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Odhinn

If they were innocuous why was he sacked?

Harris was a complete idiot to be so incompetent as to start liking his own work. But at the same time, some people can get in the f-ing sea with their moral high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Go away with your BS trying to weasel out of your scummy statement.

You have been nothing but nasty about Aoife Moore in your posts since this broke about her seeking counsellling about the attacks on her from this PYM account.

That's if you believe her, and I certiantly don't. She's a malicious cry-bully if I've ever seen one. That's patently evident in her warping of context to add a little #metoo spice to her complaints.
    Terry Prone then gives an interview against Harris and you bring up Kate Fitzgearlds name,a girl who commited suicide,to sling at Prone

Terry Prone teaches politicians to lie for a living. The only thing she has any expertise in is bending the truth for political optics, that's patently evident in her attempt to link Kate Fitzgerald and Moore, creating implications out of thin air without a shred of connective tissue between the two of them, which is exactly the kind of sophistry I expect from a trainer of spin-doctors. How unsurprisingly manipulative of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,668 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Harris was a complete idiot to be so incompetent as to start liking his own work. But at the same time, some people can get in the f-ing sea with their moral high ground.

The bitterness that Harris got outed is vast in this one.

The bitterness that Harris got outed is vast in this one.

I suspect we may have another contributor to the Pym/Whig operation,

conorhal wrote: »
    That's if you believe her, and I certiantly don't. She's a malicious cry-bully if I've ever seen one.

Terry Prone teaches politicians to lie for a living. The only thing she has any expertise in is bending the truth for political optics.

I'm surprised she appears to have remained unscathed from the Mother and Baby homes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

At least have the balls to say you are using Kate fitzgearlds tragic death to have a pop at Prone who took a pop at your hero harris.

Your also with your statements trying to malign Prones name as regards the suicide of Kate,but dont have the balls to come out and say it outright,you just take a leaf from your heros playbook and try and create enough sh*t to try and make it stick in peoples minds and it is eerie how your sly attacks are also all on women journalists.

• Advertisement

Tipptom, all I have said about Prone is that she would be very aware of the importance of female mental health, or even mental health in general. Don't become too obsessed by it. I'm not "using anyone" but merely pointed out very relevant facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,668 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

At least have the balls to say you are using Kate fitzgearlds tragic death to have a pop at Prone who took a pop at your hero harris.

Your also with your statements trying to malign Prones name as regards the suicide of Kate,but dont have the balls to come out and say it outright,you just take a leaf from your heros playbook and try and create enough sh*t to try and make it stick in peoples minds and it is eerie how your sly attacks are also all on women journalists.

Anyone it seems is fair game in the sleazy defence of Harris and his cabal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Today FM discussing him now,

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

If he's not a creep and a misogynist then he might want to do a considerable amount of reflection on why his external narrative doesn't match his internal one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

conorhal wrote: »
    That's if you believe her, and I certiantly don't. She's a malicious cry-bully if I've ever seen one. That's patently evident in her warping of context to add a little #metoo spice to her complaints.

Terry Prone teaches politicians to lie for a living. The only thing she has any expertise in is bending the truth for political optics, that's patently evident in her attempt to link Kate Fitzgerald and Moore, creating implications out of thin air without a shred of connective tissue between the two of them, which is exactly the kind of sophistry I expect from a trainer of spin-doctors. How unsurprisingly manipulative of her.

WoW,you are actually saying SHE is the bully!!!!

You think if your daughter started a new job with a national newspaper with her name and photo in the byline and she was being called a terrorist etc from the start in an attempt to get her sacked or drive her out of the job by anonymous bullies relentlessly attcking NI female journalists,you would think that is okay?

If like her father you lived in Derry would you not be concerned for her safety in public there given her public profile and she has been called a terrorist on an account that Harris said was set up to appeal to the fringes of loyalism.

Harris himself teaches politicians to lie for a living,he was employed by his friend John Bruton for FG for an election which became hilariously disasteros when Harris wrote and directed a sketch which made fun of an RTE journalist who was groped by a drunken FF TD
    He was even after innocent women journalists before Twitter

Needless to say the election ended up a disaster for FG with Harris behind it and he was quickly dispatched with.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

I would argue that what Bruton had said hits close to the bone for many because it has a grain of truth. How many Irish 'Republicans' follow the English soccer team and English popular culture?

Also SF early on 'weaponised' the Irish language. Pearse shafted Hyde. The language was no longer a beacon of Irish culture one of communication. It was merely a symbolic tool. A weapon.

Plus when younger hearing Bruton going on about joining the commonwealth appeared daft. But as I got older I have realised the close ties of England and Ireland is a lot closer and similar than some like to pretend. The glorious mythical Gael and 'Irish race' was only a very recent invention.

Plus Irish history would have been a lot better off if Ireland at least bided it's time in the Commonwealth it would at least a have remained United until SF spilt it.

Out of curiosity why is your username in Irish? You seem to have a complete disdain for it to such a level that you think its "merely a symbolic, tool, a weapon". You are aware that there are loyalist/unionist families with children attending Gaelscoil's in NI now who don't share your thoughts and hate for the language. Gusty Spence was a speaker of the language, wore the fáinne and had more respect for it than you, and don't bother with the "sure he needed to code break" waffle. Linda Ervine sister in law of David Ervine organised classes and Irish language groups, her father in law spoke Irish. It'll disappoint you that even the most ardent of Loyalists have a respect and interest in the language. Its the one thing up there that really does not offend too many, aside from the most pig ignorant of them. Its a language, Scots Gaelic which many of them were deprived of learning is remarkably similar.
    I would not agree with a much of Gregory Campbell says. But his 'Curry my Yogurt can of Coca Collyer' was genius.

If that's your idea of 'genius', that's a fairly sad indictment on your own level of intelligence, sorry to break it to you.

One thing we can all agree on in what was sometimes a divisive thread is that Eoghan Harris is a genius, perhaps flawed at times, but who isn't. Some people recognise his talents outright. Others desperately try to suppress their recognition of his intellect and in the process spew venomous bile at him. But the fact remains, Harris is brilliant and this State owes him enormous gratitude.

One thing we can all agree on in what was sometimes a divisive thread is that Eoghan Harris is a genius, perhaps flawed at times, but who isn't. Some people recognise his talents outright. Others desperately try to suppress their recognition of his intellect and in the process spew venomous bile at him. But the fact remains, Harris is brilliant and this State owes him enormous gratitude.

Ranting old clown who could be bought with a few random pleasantries, him and George Hook are stains on the media

His flaw is thinking he is a genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭buried

Provides good comedic value alright

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement