Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The social housing list in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Im quite confused, we’re talking about funding pensions, not making anyone wealthy

pension funds are designed to only truly benefit the few financially, they are simply another rent seeking activity, ultimately for wealth extraction from an economy, most arent suppose to benefit from them, but no one can afford to be not a part of them

Im quite confused, we’re talking about funding pensions, not making anyone wealthy

Probably talking about the various snouts in the trough making money from the farce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's relevant in the context of the current government's demented policy of actively trying to increase immigration and assign own door accommodation to asylum seekers while already not having enough social housing.

Well yes, fair point. I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Don’t really care about nationality.
    How many are employed?
    If you are employed, can you even get social housing?
    Is there some cut-off point for employed but on minimum wage perhaps?

biko wrote: »

Yes, there's an income threshold and rent is calculated based on income and number of inhabitants.

Probably talking about the various snouts in the trough making money from the farce

pretty much, most probably dont even live in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Yes, there's an income threshold and rent is calculated based on income and number of inhabitants.

If I could get a social house I would be €400,000 euro better off at this point in my life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

50K is the limit now

JimmyVik wrote: »
    If I could get a social house I would be €400,000 euro better off at this point in my life :)

I'd still rather get to choose where I live, but that's a tidy sum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Jizique wrote: »
    Complete BS

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Nonsense
    It's only creating a pyramid scheme

Pensions are pyramid schemes though.....,,,..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, there is a TD in social housing.

Where do people think all the vast numbers coming out of Direct Provision go?

I'm sure all the woke left think they leave the centres and begin living a productive life but the reality is that almost all of them switch to Jobseekers/Lone Parents and join the housing list.

Any of the single ones wont get housed in the end, but those with families will bypass any Irish person who has spent their lives here contributing.
    Scandalous system and it's not going to get any better.
    50K is the limit now

No it's not.

The limit is about 26k in all bar Galway,Dublin and Cork(?) where it jumps to 33-35k for a single person.
    I was able to apply only because I didnt live outside of the few counties with a higher limit and I only applied due to HAP as they've tied both together.

Where do people think all the vast numbers coming out of Direcr Provision go?

I'm sure all the woke left think they leave the centres and begin living a productive life but the reality is that almost all of them switch to Jobseekers/Lone Parents and join the housing list.

No it's not.

The limit is about 26k in all bar Galway,Dublin and Cork(?) where it jumps to 33-35k for a single person.
    I was able to apply only because I didnt live outside of the few counties with a higher limit and I only applied due to HAP as they've tied both together.

Mullen park in Maynooth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

50K is the limit now
    Considering the average full-time salary in Republic almost 49K then 50K limit seems high to get social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Sounds like an endless game of catch-up. They keep on coming.

Maybe raise income tax slightly so councils have more money to house arrivals.

Generally what happens anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Considering the average full-time salary in Republic almost 49K then 50K limit seems high to get social housing.

Whats the mean industrial wage? Average is pretty meaningless in this context

Whats the mean industrial wage? Average is pretty meaningless in this context

do you mean median?

You can be a high rate tax payer and qualify for a social house :)

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    do you mean median?

Eh...maybe :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

House the planet. Free **** for everyone.
    Come all ye masses. Hold on do you want me shirt too. Here ya go

Where do people think all the vast numbers coming out of Direct Provision go?

Any of the single ones wont get housed in the end, but those with families will bypass any Irish person who has spent their lives here contributing.
    Scandalous system and it's not going to get any better.

No it's not.

So, it's ok for you to apply for social housing but not other people is it?
    And a family should get a house before a single person don't you think? All those families living in hotel rooms is a disgrace.
    And why wouldnt an Irish person who spent their life contributing pay for their own house?

Eh...maybe :pac:

36, apparently, id have to dig further though

https://www.thejournal.ie/factcheck-average-worker-47000-4984199-Jan2020/
    House the planet. Free **** for everyone.
    Come all ye masses.

theres virtually nothing for free in this world, all money begins as debt, so.......

That sounds more realistic
    theres virtually nothing for free in this world, all money begins as debt, so.......
    Certainly, everything is paid for by somebody

That sounds more realistic

Certainly, everything is paid for by somebody

yea it does sound more right alright, so its probably not far wrong

yup, very little debt is forgiven or defaulted upon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

What a great circle jerk of a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

What a great circle jerk of a thread

Thanks for dropping by and leaving that earth-shattering contribution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

8% full time
    63% only welfare

Seems to be double what you claim here, in 2018 16.1% have their only source of income as employment.

Its too low, but it was rising pre-covid up from 14.2% in 2017.

Still an outrageously low figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Seems to be double what you claim here, in 2018 16.1% have their only source of income as employment.

Its too low, but it was rising pre-covid up from 14.2% in 2017.

Still an outrageously low figure.

I was incorrect on the employed figure but less than 1/6th in social housing work full time , and a majority are only living off welfare, thats an epidemic of idleness and will take decades to repair, if it could ever be repaired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bubblypop wrote: »
    And a family should get a house before a single person don't you think? All those families living in hotel rooms is a disgrace.
    And why wouldnt an Irish person who spent their life contributing pay for their own house?

Those families are in hotel rooms mostly of their iwn choosing, anyone there more than 6 months has rejected a property and there are many incidents where families in those hotel rooms have been absolute piss takers having more kids while there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I was incorrect on the employed figure but less than 1/6th in social housing work full time , and a majority are only living off welfare, thats an epidemic of idleness and will take decades to repair, if it could ever be repaired.

Both figures are a disgrace, but its best to be accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

No Primtime Investigates programme on this issue. They get to decide what issue to cover and what will be rammed down our throats for the following week 24/7.

Living off welfare does include disability and pensions.
    How many are work age and unemployed?
    People who can afford tend to buy their house also, so it takes a house out of social housing.
    Shouldn't be allowed imo.

Those families are in hotel rooms mostly of their iwn choosing, anyone there more than 6 months has rejected a property and there are many incidents where families in those hotel rooms have been absolute piss takers having more kids while there.

you really are astonishingly ignorant, you really do need to look into the root causes of these complex social issues, people dont fcuking 'chose' to be homeless!

you really are astonishingly ignorant, you really do need to look into the root causes of these complex social issues, people dont fcuking 'chose' to be homeless!

Actually I know quite a few who have "chosen" to be homeless.

please explain, as details are critical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If you choose to be homeless now your housing is deemed not priority, then are verified as being in nerd of homeless HAP and encouraged to avail of homeless services.

please explain, as details are critical?

Well lets start with you explaining which definition of homeless you are using?

And then I will elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

That only works if the immigrants contribute to the economy, non EU migrants make our pensions funding cliff happen faster due to being economic detractors

Really? Non EU migrants are a net drain on the economy? Have you a source for this?

• Advertisement

I applied as its needed for HAP, I had no interest otherwise.

And no I dont think, whether they have kids or not, that people who come out of DP should skip over single people who were born and raised here.

Frankly Irish or not, you shouldn't get a house when you've contributed nothing to society.
    I'd rather see people who are working and paying taxes looked after and those who dont, getting the most basic care.
    A bland small dwelling and lower income.. too many are pulling E400-700 from the system by manipulating payments.

Better than the current system where someone with even a middling job is supposed to pay for everything in life while those who contribute nothing but grief end up with more.

I applied as its needed for HAP, I had no interest otherwise.

And no I dont think, whether they have kids or not, that people who come out of DP should skip over single people who were born and raised here.

Frankly Irish or not, you shouldn't get a house when you've contributed nothing to society.
    I'd rather see people who are working and paying taxes looked after and those who dont, getting the most basic care.
    A bland small dwelling and lower income.. too many are pulling E400-700 from the system by manipulating payments.

Better than the current system where someone with even a middling job is supposed to pay for everything in life while those who contribute nothing but grief end up with more.

HAP is where the government pay your rent isn't it?
    So instead of living in social housing they pay your rent in private accommodation? Same thing.

Social housing is supposed to be provided to people who cannot house themselves, so why in the world would they provide it to working people who can?

You believe foreign children are less worthy of a roof over their head then a single Irish adult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

You believe foreign children are less worthy of a roof over their head then a single Irish adult?

Yes definitely. Just like you look after your own family first the state must look after its citizens first

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Yes definitely. Just like you look after your own family first the state must look after its citizens first
    Exactly. It's the height of bloody insanity to cater to people arriving in this country ahead of Irish people, unless they're actual asylum seekers and the stats show the vast majority aren't. Never mind those illegally entering and working the black economy in this country. Oh pardon me, they're now called "undocumented" in Newspeak and we should make them legal and welcome them into the social services. If I as an Irishman legally entitled to live here hadn't paid a scrap of tax in the last few years and was caught, what would happen to me? Would I get a welcome? Would I be let off? Would, if I needed one, get a free roof over my head? Like hell I would. Sheer bloody insanity.

Why is Ireland's political class and NGO parasites driving down the same disaster road after other EU nations have long shown causes extra social problems? Worse they're accelerating down that road.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The situation isn't ideal but it seems most people are happy to keep voting for the same parties so nothing is going to change. Best to just live your life as well as you can and not worry about who's getting this housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

The situation isn't ideal but it seems most people are happy to keep voting for the same parties so nothing is going to change. Best to just live your life as well as you can and not worry about who's getting this housing.

We should be worried when we will have to foot the bill for this.

There are €12 billion in spending cuts coming for us, and adding more people to the social housing list, and prioritising people that should not even be in the country, is madness.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Why is Ireland's political class and NGO parasites driving down the same disaster road after other EU nations have long shown causes extra social problems? Worse they're accelerating down that road.

More state dependency and breakdown of societal cohesion = more work and influence for them, it's really that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

We should be worried when we will have to foot the bill for this.

There are €12 billion in spending cuts coming for us, and adding more people to the social housing list, and prioritising people that should not even be in the country, is madness.

Worry all you like but nothing is going to change any time soon, people will still vote for the same parties. Best to just enjoy what you have and do your best.

Worry all you like but nothing is going to change any time soon, people will still vote for the same parties. Best to just enjoy what you have and do your best.
    Which parties do you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I don't believe that people are happy to continue voting for the status quo. It's the lack of a real alternative. If you don't vote for FG/FF, Sinn Fein will get their hands on the levers of power, which is an undesirable outcome for many. There is a gap in the political marketplace for a center-right, fiscally conservative party who will challenge this lunacy.

Having said that, I do agree with not getting too fixated on this. It would drive you demented seeing the fruits of your labor being squandered on both the indigenous, and more particularly on the non-indigenous, some of whom shouldn't even be here in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

Hamachi wrote: »
    I don't believe that people are happy to continue voting for the status quo. It's the lack of a real alternative. If you don't vote for FF/FF, Sinn Fein will get their hands on the levers of power, which is an undesirable outcome for many. There is a gap in the political marketplace for a center-right, fiscally conservative party who will challenge this lunacy.

Having said that, I do agree with not getting too fixated on this. It would drive you demented seeing the fruits of your labor being squandered on both the indigenous, and more particularly on the non-indigenous, some of whom shouldn't even be here in the first instance.

Yes. I think if the situation was clearly explained in the media rather than showing emotive individual cases people may actually start to question it. It is unsustainable in even the medium term and shocking that no TD or party feels able to challenge what is going on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement