Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 259

Comments

US2 wrote: »
    He quit! Commentary is sickening

Don't be daft.
    If it was the knee rather than fatigue that had him down this long then the doctor is being negligent leaving him without treatment. He was completely out through fatigue, knee had basically nothing to do with it.

Same to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think you're being as biased as your accusing the commentators of being.

That was no glancing blow. He cracked him badly.

Forgetting Aljo for a second.

How stupid is Yan? What the hell is he thinking? It's not as if he doesn't know the rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Anderson
    At least we will get a rematch anyway. Was enjoying that fight, hopefully aljo can try and prove he's the best then as he knows he wasn't winning that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What was he doing, totally intentional.

• Advertisement

One of the judges had Sterling ahead. Jesus the scorecards have been some mess tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Worst thing is a judge had Aljo winning

Who picks these judges

Can't see Aljo winning a rematch, totally outclassed there. Yan paced the whole fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Much like Khabib, Makhachev and Yan show that while plenty want to be all-rounders if you can be solid defensively in most disciplines then you just need to be outstanding in one.

Though that knee shows that if you want to be stupid then all bets are off. Some nice acting by Sterling here.

Go way you pair of dopes. Absolute muppets.

Yan cheated. End of story.
    Aljo didn’t want to win that way.
    Horrible end.

They can't be having him to an interview in that state

"I clearly felt him tap Joe"

MrStuffins wrote: »

How stupid is Yan? What the hell is he thinking? It's not as if he doesn't know the rules

Usually that kind of stupidity in sports is reserved for Irish rugby players or Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He'd want to be a moron to continue there.. Was fatigued and losing. Lock up that win bonus and the belt.. Gotta look out for number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Corner direction or so they are saying.

And the absolute dirt of Yan sticking his hand up at the end.

Fcuk him.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Yeah, that was a heavy knee to the head. ****ty move from Yan. Whether or not people think Sterling deserves the title, Yan deserves to be stripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I'm not bias I've no favourite, I maybe wrong . He looked like a man that was beat long before the foul though

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d00mk1n

I think Sterling is milking it but the ref put him in that position

Sterling was unable to continue but I don't believe for a second it was due to the knee. He was completely clear-eyed.

Corner direction or so they are saying.

That is mental!

At the end of the day, it's the fighters responsibly to know the rules. What the hell is he doing?

No way Aljo wants to win like this. Look forward to the rematch

mdwexford wrote: »

Horrible end.

Dope and a muppet for having an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Still Ill

That is mental!

At the end of the day, it's the fighters responsibly to know the rules. What the hell is he doing?

No way Aljo wants to win like this. Look forward to the rematch

This 100%

I don't even know why they're talking about the corner's advice.

• Advertisement

I'm not bias I've no favourite, I maybe wrong . He looked like a man that was beat long before the foul though

But how the fight went beforehand is completely irrelevant.

He got kneed in the head and it was a HEAVY knee. It's quite probable he had his clock cleaned by it.

Only thing to do, rematch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Live scenes of Ray Longo back in the locker room...

giphy.gif

For accusing him of cheating when he got clocked with an illegal knee flush in the temple after the ref telling him not to do it in advance.

As if he wanted to win that way. There is no way he could continue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Whilst fighters will never like to win that way, it was a clear intentional foul and rightly waved off.

That sort of call on whether to continue or not after an illegal shot should never be on the fighter who has been put in an awful position.

Continue and you're hugely compromised. Don't continue and you'll know you haven't won the way you want and you'll have some "fans", some fellow fighters and even probably Dana talking nonsense about your courage. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Anderson
    At least aljo will be better prepared for the next fight and hopefully doesn't use up as much unnecessary energy so early in the fight.

He was still coming forward even though he was fighting on fumes in that 4th rd. Yan deserves to be stripped for doing something so stupid anyway so delighted for Aljo!

He got kneed in the head and it was a HEAVY knee. It's quite probable he had his clock cleaned by it.

Would be pretty hard to get excited about the rematch. Not on the level of the fight coming up but Yan looked like he was dicking about for most of that fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yan says he asked his corner is it ok to hit him and he kneed him. No way an experienced corner like ATP tell him that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Looked to me that yan finally lost patience with all his lying on the ground. Very silly. He would have knocked him out.

If the doc isn't letting Aljo fight in that condition, Anderson better steer clear of him on her cagewalk.

She looks like she's been kneed in the head by Covid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

One judge had Sterling a point up ......!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

mdwexford wrote: »

Horrible end.

Lads keep it civil, have a proper discussion or stay off the forum if you cant.

An opinion can be wrong. And your opinion is objectively wrong. How many knees have you been hit in the head with to come to that conclusion? I'm gonna say a couple of hundred judging by the ludicrous "opinion" you have. :rolleyes:

I'd like to apologise to Axwell in advance for the comments on this thread. This stoppage is definitely going to have some emotional responses that need cleaning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Even if could fight on (hypothetically, seemed pretty clear he couldn't) he should just take the win. Professional sport, opponent makes mistake, take full advantage. Sterling was 76k to show, 76k to win in his last fight at UFC 250. Presume it is more tonight being championship fight so win bonus even more significant and potential more as champion (ppv points etc). They're fighting for cash not fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Great acting from sterling there, embarrassing stuff.

How many digits is this one lasting is the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Anderson
    Anyone saying that Aljo should have continued needs a look at themselves. He was took an illegal to the side of the head. It’s not on him to cover for Yan and continue while being severely compromised.

darced wrote: »

I'm no fanboy of Sterling but hearing this nonsense actually boils my blood. Cop on to yourself.

One judge had Sterling a point up ......!!

Not lauded r the realms of possibility.

I had it 2-1 but it's not as if the rounds were really one sided.

It did look like Yan was going to be going into the last round 3-1 up on two cards and 2-2 on another with a compromised (from fatigue) opponent

Definitely needs to be rematched. Ridiculous foul,what was yan thinking atall , just think aljo took advantage of it, he knew that was his only hope. He was getting KO'd.
    The judges will go unnoticed now because of the foul, 1 had aljo ahead that Is sickening

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Even if could fight on (hypothetically, seemed pretty clear he couldn't) he should just take the win. Professional sport, opponent makes mistake, take full advantage. Sterling was 76k to show, 76k to win in his last fight at UFC 250. Presume it is more tonight being championship fight so win bonus even more significant and potential more as champion (ppv points etc). They're fighting for cash not fans.

Would have full respect for him if he did that. No need for the acting, take the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

How many digits is this one lasting is the question.

If Anderson is as shook as she looks, gone in 60 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Aljo got an illegal intentional knee. It's not his fault

I'm no fanboy of Sterling but hearing this nonsense actually boils my blood. Cop on to yourself.

It's the same as when the lad in the pub watches his favourite boxer loses and starts with "that was definitely a fix".

The reality of the situation doesn't matter

Nah, he got kneed to the head in such a blatantly illegal way that Yan sure has hell didn't deserve the opportunity to capitalize on that.

He was getting KO'd.

He did get KO'd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Hilarious reading posts stating that Sterling quit or was milking it.

Said whilst sitting off on the couch at 5am probably full of beer and snacks whereas Sterling just took a knee full force to the temple from a world champion mixed martial artist! :pac:

What nonsense? Anyone with a brain can see he was acting. The surprised look then when he won like he didn't know, c'mon man.

Would have full respect for him if he did that. No need for the acting, take the win.

Doubt it, I think you'd be more annoyed at him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Nah, he got kneed to the head in such a blatantly illegal way that Yan sure has hell didn't deserve the opportunity to capitalize on that.

Thing is what had yan to gain. He must have known Sterling was close to finished. He seemed to be suggesting he thought Sterling was pushing to get up off his hands. IMO illegal as feck and deserved the DQ but I find it hard to believe he intended to get DQ’d?

This poster nailed it
    kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Anyone saying that Aljo should have continued needs a look at themselves. He was took an illegal to the side of the head. It’s not on him to cover for Yan and continue while being severely compromised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement