Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Better get them in alphabetical order!

We will definitely need updates on those shelves as games are added, I love seeing shelves absolutely stacked with games.

Do you think you'd ever get any mini boxes for the Nintendo games? Probably gets costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haha yeah I'm absolutely itching to alphabetise them! Get an insane amount of satisfaction out of putting things in order on shelves, it's a sickness. Have a rake of books on the bottom shelf that need to be ordered by author too.

I hadn't heard of those mini boxes at all until now, they look great!

Shame they're so pricey, I think I've about 100 Snes carts and maybe 40-50 N64 ones so it would be one expensive venture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I have a handful of SNES protector boxes you are welcome to if you have any boxes you are looking to keep minty

Master of the Universe

You're very good, thanks! I'll have a look and see how I get on with the boxed Snes stuff comes down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Got one my most wanted MSX2 recently. Philips VG8250 . Working, just need some cosmetic TLC as the from panel is actually cracked in 3 main pieces ... and a few more :)

Main floppy drive is working and it's got a gotek as a second drive . Scart connector and 2 cart ports on the side

It's a great MSX2, rare and can be pricey bu it's one of the easiest to upgrade to a MSX2+ (and 60hz) as you just need to swap the VDP and ground a few pins . I've already a matching VS0080 monitor for it too so this'll become my main MSX2 rig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

PSU for Saturn, Raphnet USB to Nintendo Classic/Nunchuck controller and a USB Modem for my Dreamcast to dial into.

Exciting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Got this from my friend who works in the dump.

Dirty but works 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

holy mother of baguettes!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

love it ! Wish I had a friend who works in a dump!

Collected earlier today. Connected via a RetroTink 5x with S-Video.

• Advertisement

Or at least of of those folks who works on the electronics 'WEEE' bench - wonder how many PVMs or good trinis they might see

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've been there and watched as very nice CRTs are dropped, unceremoniously, into the cage of the dead...

Bring a tear to a glass eye it would

Master of the Universe

I've been away on holiday for a couple of weeks so only got home today to actually give the RGB Famicom a go - it's bloody gorgeous!

Master of the Universe

Climbed up into the attic to get some more games down for my shelves and found a Neo Geo Pocket collection I haven't seen in almost ten years - some great titles in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It is literally the most beautiful console that has ever existed.

Master of the Universe

NGPC or the Famicom top loader?

I reckon the NGPC clamshells are the nicest clamshells ever made. They just feel like absolute quality. Must have really added quite a bit to the manufacture costs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Aren't those clamshells worth a few bob to collectors, seeing as they are mini versions of the AES cases?

Master of the Universe

NGP PAL games have gotten ridiculously expensive since I bought them years back. I was going to try for a full PAL collection they were that affordable. Couldn't dream of doing that these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Master of the Universe

Hah! Funny how subjective design is, I really did think you were talking about the top loader as it's a completely marmite console.

NGP clamshells are lovely and so is it's stick, but I always thought of the design itself as a bit generic and erring a bit too much on the side of caution.

• Advertisement

I love the toploader NES and AV Famicom personally!

I decided to take a chance on a SCART switch from Antonio Villena.

Looks neat, but the arrangement of inputs isn't exactly the most practical thing ever when everything's plugged into it - And I looks a bit like a swastika.

Master of the Universe

Swastika scart! I've heard it all now haha

Keep an eye out for AV media centre type things from the mid 2000s. There was a time where you'd get some that had 3-4 scart inputs on them.

Things like the Thor AV control Centre and the Silverscreen Trilogy. I don't think too many folks think of using them for videogame consoles.

Here's a JVC unit with 4 scart inputs for example.

And here it is even cheaper for 25 gbp

Post edited by o1s1n on

I never even thought of them!!

Must keep an eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I had a friend who's dad worked in the dump, got a good few freebies out of it.

Got a 60GB Phat backwards compatible PS3, worked fine except the blu ray drive was dead, but he also had a 40GB Phat PS3 that had YLOD. I took the blu ray drive out of the 40GB model and put it in the 60GB, boom, working PS3.

I also got a launch model 20GB XBox 360 (the one that didn't have HDMI), the hard drive was dead but the X-Box itself worked fine for nearly 2 years before finally getting RROD. Got the Xbox in 2009 and the PS3 in 2012, when both machines were still relevant.

Got a silver phat PS2 that played CD's and Pone games fine but the DVD drive didnt work at all, so I soft modded it with Free McBoot and now it runs Ps2 games off the hard drive perfectly.

Loads of PC graphics cards. I have a Geforce 3, a Geforce 5700 and a Radeon x850 that are all working and were just thrown out because they were old.

Got lots of other random things to like 3 working Dreamcast controllers, amazing what some people throw out.

Master of the Universe

Joytech is another good term to search, they did 4 and 5 scart switchers around the Xbox 360 era. Actually have one myself and the build quality is brilliant.

Here's one on Adverts, though it is a 7 month old ad!

Not sure of the model either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

Been a long, long, LONG time seen I seen a CPC through the Amstrad green screen monitor....i knew I needed to have one, so now I do!

Also picked up a non working mega cd, hope to restore that as soon just need to wait on some psus I've ordered. Its actually in amazing cosmetic condition anyway...

Jumping on the FunnyPlaying screen for GBC bandwagon, my GBC arrived today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

This arrived earlier. So far I think its a nice little thing, even if it will just end up on the shelf after today(I'll prob design a 3D printable stand for it).

Mouse is ok, would rather a full size tank mouse. Joystick is usable, but the d-pad is a bit crap(can other usb pads anyway). The A500 mini itself is well made and I'd kill to have a working keyboard on this(apparently there is a mod in the works from someone). Interface and gameplay works very well, similar to all the other mini's out there.

The free mini floppy USB stick was a nice surprise inclusion.

• Advertisement

After running across one of these and I'll hopefully pick it up next week.

I think the sound is gone but shouldn't be too hard to fix it out.

Im trying to get rid of some stuff and more keeps popping up for me to get

Cosmic Smash, the game not the Boardsie regular, arrived at my door yesterday morning.

One of those games I've always wanted to own, it looks amazing in it's DVD style casing.

Looking forward to giving it a whirl later on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,846 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never played that one but was always interested in it.

Yeah, same here, it's about 21 years old now but it still looks like what "GAMES OF THE FUTURE!" would look like, much like Rez before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Piattos22

Long time lurker here but I can't resist showing off this free score. Typed in "free tv" on DoneDeal and I can't believe that someone was giving this away! This 29 inch behemoth took me and two friends to carry it properly. 6 inch Spider-Man figure to scale.

Nice.

You forget how heavy a 29inch Sony Trinitron actually is until you need to move one :D Also, So.Very.Deep

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I remember having to lift one of them on my own from a tv stand to a bed and then back to the tv stand again. I don't think my arms ever recovered :D

Amazing score for free, absolutely gorgeous picture on that era of trini.

I got a rom file today!

But Ciderman, I hear you cry, isn't that against the rules?

No, because this one was bought from Champ Games, makers of the most amazing Atari 2600 titles.

They've made Robotron for the ancient console, renamed it Robotwar 2684 and released it as a physical cart and a rom file, the latter only $20 and rubs straight from my Harmony Cart.

It's a fantastic conversion, with twin stick support and would probably give a typical 2600 owner a heart attack back in '84!

Champ Games sent me an email about the release for sale of the rom file for Ladybug Arcade, on the 2600.

Had to buy it, looks great, and while I was there I bought Super Cobra Arcade as well.

And they look fantastic, can't wait to play them

Yeah. The fact that it doesn't have some kind of pocket that let's you hold it better makes the lifting worse. Good thing my room is on the ground floor or my friend would've given up on me. There is a bit of a rattle when very bassy sounds come out but the speakers still sound fantatstic and huge.

Thanks. I really couldn't believe it when I saw it for free. I saw an 29inch Trini on adverts being sold for 80 quid so donedeal must be a safe space for CRT hunters, I guess? Picture is really fantastic, I don't even need a PVM to see the thick scanlines.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah a simple indentation on each side would make the world of difference. Not sure what Sony were thinking during that era as loads of TVs had them. I guess they must have thought it just ruined the aesthetic!

So, I should be picking up a Pocket CHIP on Saturday.

They are a now-discontinued little handheld computer, with a clicky keyboard and a nice screen, running on Linux.

Buying it mostly for the built in Pico-8 player, as I really love those little games and wanted a nice way to play them.

I do have a Pico-8 player on my modded 3DSLL (thanks Cosmic Smash) but it isn't quite as nice to use as I had hoped.

A SVI-CAS showed up from Australia this week - you can relive those tape loading times :D

Yup, using it with a MiSTer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Not to put you off buying one of these things but any of the handhelds with the RK3326 chipset will support adding an official raspberry pi copy of pico-8 with perfect compatibility. I tried it out myself with my odroid go super. So you can play pico-8 games with proper controls.

Ah, too late now!

I have it and it's grand.

Problem is that it was sold to me as being in working order but, it turns out, several keys don't work and someone must have thought the clear plastic component of the keyboard was a removable cover and had a go to remove it.

I told the seller I wasn't happy but he hasn't responded at all.

So, I use a usb keyboard for the updating and a plug-in controller to play a game.

I've updated Pico8 and it is running everything, I tried to install TIC-80 but to no avail so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Sorry, I only look at this thread like once month out curiosity since I don't have space for retro stuff. If you have an RG-350, gcw zero or any of the MIPS derivatives of them there is also a pico8 implementation that is while not perfect is much better compared to the other pico-8 emulators.

https://0xcafed00d.itch.io/tac08-rg350

New stuff, via Nintendo Switch Online, the Snes has gotten a couple of new games, Congo's Caper and Rival Turf, which is nice.

But, shuffle on over the Super Famicom line-up, for those online subscribers who have a Japanese account (like me!) and you didn't get Congo's Capers.

No, instead you got the far more interesting Umihara Kawase, a series I was hitherto unaware of but looks fantastic.

Unfortunately the original Snes game costs in the €80 mark and the DS game, which is also brilliant, also expensive.

Master of the Universe

I remember a few years ago there was an article about a Japanese guy leaving his Super Famicom on for 20 years as he was afraid of losing his Umihara Kawase scores 😁

I actually meant to buy a copy of it then as it looked quite fun but never got around to it unfortunately!

So, I just bought the translation on Aliexpress, only 11 euro shipped and looking forward to playing it on a Snes and a CRT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

• Advertisement
Advertisement